Overall 85/100 This is a big step up over the original Blantons. Color: Andy noted that this was a welcome beauty. Frankfort, KY 40601, Buffalo Trace Distillery All Rights Reserved 2021. I dont do scores anymore because its exactly what you point out. A pleasant slow burn engulfs your mouth and builds up heat as it slowly travels down your throat with each sip. In doing so, he revolutionized the industry with the world's first single barrel bourbon. He guessed it was a higher rye Four Roses. The Blanton's brand was launched in 1984 when Elmer T. Lee introduced the world to Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon a year before he retired. The direct opposite of Special Reserve. The Brown Derby is a drink named after the horse racing tradition in the state of Kentucky. Included in this bundle is the Blanton's Black Label, aged 8 years in charred American oak barrels, as well as the Gold Foreign Edition with its full and rich taste. A very solid barrel proof whiskey that I would buy regularly if available here in the US. Due to only being available in the international marketplace, fluctuation in price based on foreign currency exchange rates is normal.This bourbon was bottled specially for sale in the U.K. and is only sold in 700ml bottles. But that would a great idea that we could get behind. But the different horse top designs just remind me of the stationary galloping horse in season ones opening credits. Blantons Gold Edition This bourbon is unexpectedly gentle on the nose with aromas of cinnamon and ripe peach. After resting for a bit, the alcohol notes are less harsh than both the gold and the original. The original 93 proof Blanton's was the only expression available in the United States until 2020. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. That year, Sazerac Company announced domestic annual limited releases of 103 proof Blanton's Gold and cask proof Blanton's Straight From the Barrel. This bottle clocks in at 37 proof higher than the standard version of Blantons and even 27 proof higher than the very tastyBlantons Gold edition. Learn how your comment data is processed. Some people might like that, but to me, it just means boring. We talk about bourbon, rye, or any American whiskey here (yes, even Jack). Its a bit hard to believe that this is the same whiskey as the original, just at barrel proof. Brad felt that its almost bronze color suggested it appeared longer-aged. Product Availability As for the full collection of stoppers, anyone can get that for $8 online. Granted the price would be a little higher than the bottles in the Antique Collection, its doubtful that would slow many down in todays marketplace.For me, Blantons SFTB isnt quite as well balanced of a drinking experience as what Blantons Gold delivers. But, You may be confused as to why one brand offers bourbon while the other offers, The final bottling should be no less than 80 proof. Although we would insist that you first try this premium bourbon on its own, here are a few cocktail recipes that would still highlight this liquors flavors. The nose, palate, and finish all are very pleasing and this bourbon delivers a great sip from start to finish. Dark chocolate, caramel with earthy undertones of walnut and hazelnut on the nose. So if you are following along, I preferred the palate of the Rock Hill Farms and the Nose and Finish of Blantons Gold. Tasting Notes A deep, satisfying nose of nutmeg and spices. Decent legs, well defined on the side of the glass. In doing so, he revolutionized the industry with the world's first single barrel bourbon. Begin typing your search above and press return to search. Like Brad, I got the dryness and spice of a rye. In fact, Andy ran home to get his bottle to prove it. So, Ill just compare the Original Single Barrel and the Straight from the Barrel for this review. Congrats on making your inbox infinitely better. I dont blame the new fans. Four Roses bottles have prices starting at roughly $45. It's not that it's a bad bourbon, but at that price point, it's in some pretty elite company and just can't compete. The Liquor Laboratory is intended for adults over the age of 21 and the legal drinking age. Blanton's Gold is crafted from the same high-rye mash bill as the popular Blanton's Original Single Barrel, but it is bottled at 103 proof rather than the standard 93 proof. 13.5/15. When whisky gets political, designed to support the protest moment here in Hong Kong earlier this year and flavour profile was picked to matched with the goings on, smoke, fire, some sulphur and youthful vigour apparently. The Original Single Barrel is bottled with an ABV of 46.5 percent and has caramel, honey, and vanilla tasting notes. COLLECTION Blanton's Single Barrel Blanton's Gold The standard delivery time is 1-2 weeks. All bourbons are whiskey, as bourbon is a type of whiskey (much like champagne is a type of wine). These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The registered Bottle No. At 78 years old in 1959, he passed away, but not before he hired Elmer T. Lee in 1949, who would later become the Master Distiller of Buffalo Trace bourbon. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Its interesting to see what just a slight increase in proof can do to really bring out the flavor profile of the Blantons brand. With the secondary exploding, these bottles generally cant be found for under $150. I was thinking you have a tough scale if 80s is a drain pour, even Andy giving it a 75 and saying dont ever drink seems pretty harsh lol. Because metal acts as an insulator and transfers heat faster than traditional brick warehouses, it hastens the aging process. The Gold Edition was the second version created, after the Original 93 proof. The Original is slightly disappointing and shy on the nose. Really reflects my opinion of Blanton's perfectly. https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTEwMDMxNDAyNDg3ODk5MToxNTQ2MDk5MDYxMTYwNjk%3D. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". Ive got a bunch of notes that I need to convert to reviews here, so Im going to start out with a bang and give you a side by side by side of the Blantons lineup that Ive got. Dont drink ever, was his final note on it. Garnish with a thin orange peel. After logging in you can close it and return to this page. I also participated because, you know, research. But who makes Blantons bourbon? Its very apparent since more people have been able to associate themselves with Blantons lately thanks to shows and movies like Justified and John Wick. 8/10, Nose A definite bold step up from the original. Barrel proof bourbons are more and more common in todays marketplace, with many more new releases being barrel proof / cask strength than in years past. Bourbons with double maturation, especially finished in port wine barrels, are huge A tequila drink is made of blue agave plants that have been For centuries, drinking whiskey, Scotch, and vodka has been used as a Don Julio Primavera, a reposado tequila, is a limited offering from the During the Prohibition Period from 1920 to 1933, the whole country shut down the entire production and sale of alcohol. Produced by Buffalo Trace, Blanton's Straight from the Barrel is a single barrel aged in Warehouse H like all Blanton's products, bottled at cask strength after aging between 6-8 years (though it is non-age-stated). This is a big, bold, rich bourbon thats packing some heat. Palate:Liquified cherry pie filling, dark brown sugar, brown butter. This bottling was dumped January 10, 2014 from Barrel #194, Rick #51. Hahaha I didn't notice the stfu until I read the other comment. There is also a hint of orange zest somewhere in the aroma. Its just a perfect blend of everything you love about the nose on Blantons, just enriched and greatly amplified. His interest started with single malts in 2012, before he moved into rum and mezcal in search of malterntaitves and a passion for travel then helped build his drinks collection. 13.5/15, Taste Cinnamon. Although Im sure that by the time this article sees the light of day, the season will have already wrapped up. Quick View. I got butterscotch candy and Brad was reminded of Werthers candy. The Blanton's Gold you see in this review is not available in the US market and is only sold overseas. But can you buy Blantons at Costco? Hi, i bought my blantons sftb in Russia. Pour the bourbon in and stir. My bottle was dumped 6/6/13. Additionally, if you regularly miss out on the BTAC release each year, its a nice alternative that still delivers a great unique experience from Buffalo Trace. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. I have 2 unopened(yet) bottles of Blantons on my bar, as well as half the one gifted to me by my daughter. Its very complex and expressive. The rare Blanton's Gold has become beloved by connoisseurs and collectors world wide. The warmth sits on the tongue for an enjoyable minute. Its definitely a step up from Blantons Original, but whether that step is worth over double the price is a decision youre going to have to make. That being said, a little water creates magic with this one. If it were, I could see this being popular as many Blantons fans would gladly pay for the opportunity to try a slightly grown-up version of a beloved bourbon. Mark Twain said, too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough. A passionate whiskey hunter & gatherer, Brett serves his opinions and reviews just like his bourbon - straight and not watered down. I have revisited it several times since, and always the same conclusion. The finish is definitely drier, however it carries with it a nice flavor profile of preserved peaches, light vanilla, raisins, and oak. Press J to jump to the feed. Since this is an international only bourbon, the price will be tied to foreign currency fluctuation for anyone looking to import or buy abroad. is 53. Simply put, its a boring drinking experience. Complete Set Of Pappy. A bit of a nutty smell, like pecan pie perhaps. Overall 90/100 Definitely my favorite of the Blantons offerings Ive tried. Share With: Someone who likes Blantons but would appreciate a higher proof. $10.52 + $9 . . Our Noses Noticed: All three of us got vanilla on the nose. In Bourbon Whiskey Reviews by Brett AtlasSeptember 22, 201614 Comments. This is technically a European import bottle sold by K&L Wine Merchants in Los Angeles. Since the barrels are housed in a metal warehouse, it allows for faster heat transfer than those traditionally made from brick (thus, faster aging). . 2 Blanton's Bourbon Bags, Brown Felt w/Gold Draw Strings Embroidered Logo 750 ml . Taking a big breath in the alcohol is definitely upfront and noticeable, as should be expected for a 130 proof bourbon. Bottle, Bar or Bust: With scores of 94,95 and 96, the SFTB was hands down the champion. Color: Really dark amber entering brown territory. Nose - Fragrant. Brad even offered, I sometimes start my tastings with something crappy before moving into the good stuff. Even though I opened the bottle a half hour earlier, I actually wondered, Is this really Blantons? Brad rated it an 81, I was a little more generous with an 85 (probably because I was influenced by the bottle) and Andy slammed it with a 75. Didnt realize it was that long ago. I can literally taste the chocolate shell breaking apart and the cherry liqueur soaked cherry melting after my sip. The login page will open in a new tab. Blantons is the first in the world to be sold commercially as single-barrel bourbons. Do you think the bourbon has stayed the same over the years? Feel free to also mix the other variants with this drink. difference between blanton's gold and takara gold Tatko na pesmaricu. This higher proof version of Blantons contains a slight increase in the noticeable alcohol scent on the nose versus the Original Single Barrel Blantons, while still offering a delicious refined smelling bourbon. I wish HK all the best as I am very fond of that place. I think of those two mainly due to them being American whiskey and their marketing. If you enjoy Blanton's Original Single Barrel, this is one of two opportunities to try a higher proofed version from the distillery, the other being Blanton's Straight from the Barrel. Blantons Whiskey is a single-barrel bourbon whiskey distilled in Frankfort, Kentucky. Morning John, would the straight from the barrel be counted as a single barrel or would it be a vatting of various barrels? After some water and a swirl, he called the nose beautiful. Brad got caramel, sea salt and some pear. For Andys bottle, I rated it an 88, Brad and Andy both gave it a 90 . In a word, delicious. First Sips: All of us described it as dry, and both suspected it was at least a higher rye bourbon. This means that each bottling batch comes from the contents of a singular aging barrel it is not mixed nor blended with other whiskies, nor do they add any flavorings and colorings to the final product. This time I get Cherry Cordials, candied oranges, cinnamon spiced peach cobbler, seasoned wood. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Peach jam, hints of pineapple, hints of figs, hints of rye and more honey. As the name would suggest, Blanton's Straight From The Barrel is barrel . Press Esc to cancel. Could have been a typo or maybe my criteria was set weird. Blantons lacks this liberty the contents of one barrel may have an entirely different flavor profile from the other since barrels in the same warehouse can age very differently. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Ive only seen Blantons in HK, Singapore and Japan. 26/30, Mouthfeel Below average viscosity. Not a bad start, as if youll recall from previous reviews, I love a good nosing whiskey. This Straight from The Barrel is basically an Original Single Barrel on steroids. Now the specifics: it's barrel number 14, rick number 36, from the famous warehouse H, and is bottled at 125.1 proof. Its a shame because the heat overpowers the flavors just a little too much in this case to really appreciate all this has to offer. Buy Blanton's Straight From the Barrel at Frootbat This bourbon whiskey was dumped on 7-6-12 from Barrel No. That man was Albert B. Blanton and the young man he told to take a hike in 1949 was Elmer T. Lee. Really a shame that they make consumers go out of their way to try it, because I find the bolder flavor profile to be more well rounded than what you currently see in other Buffalo Trace single barrel products. The proof on the Straight from the Barrel edition varies by bottle depending on the barrel. In our blind test, neither Andy nor Brad could be influenced by any outside bias, and I would serve as the third judge to break any tie between them. Raisins, dried fruit, orange citrus zest, and lightly toasted oak all merge together in a perfect blend. The heat in the palate and finish may run rampant and would be served better if it was tamed, but if you like Blantons, youre in for a treat to experience it at barrel strength. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Whiskey can be anywhere from scotch to rye. Last Updated on November 1, 2022 by Lydia Martin. 113 Great Buffalo Trace Big, bold, and definitely hotwhy isnt this a part of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection yet? Its been viewed as the Fifth Beatle of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection and, like the barrel proof members of the BTAC family (Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye, George T. Stagg Bourbon, and William Larue Weller Bourbon), the proof varies from barrel to barrel. I remember buying this for $85 around 3 years ago. Review: Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Historic Barrel Entry, Review: Hiyo Sparking Social Tonic, Complete Lineup, The Best Chocolate Liqueur Roundup 10 Bottles Tasted, 2 Winners. This bourbon is aged in white oak and bottled uncut and unfiltered. monstrous review! Andy and I both got honey. Dont get me wrong, I find this to be slightly better than the Blantons Original Single Barrel, however due to the fact that I can get almost two bottles of Blantons Original Single Barrel - which is fantastic in its own right - for the price of one bottle of the Gold Edition, it makes it a trickier situation. Bar for sure (if youre at a bar overseas) and Bottle for sure if someone can get it for you in the UK for $80 like they did for me. If you enjoy Blantons Original Single Barrel, this is one of two opportunities to try a higher proofed version from the distillery, the other being Blantons Straight from the Barrel. 64.6%/129.2 Proof, NAS You can insert three underscores (_) in a row in it's own line to have a line all the way across the body to separate the reviews, like this: You can also use a hashtag (#) in front of text to make that line a header with a dotted line break. The Single Barrel Bourbon is the first of its kind. Despite being made in the Buffalo Trace Distillery, there are at least four other expressions (Black, Green, Straight from the Barrel & Gold) of Blantons not available in the US. Of course, movies and shows have shown us that cowboys like to spend their time drinking booze in saloons. Cheers from Denver! You really are contending with the heat though to pick out these flavors. If you want to experience a whiskey thats got plenty of firsts, why not give Blantons whiskey a try? Andy was disappointed in the lack of a finish for the second time in a row. At nearly double the price of Blantons Original Single Barrel, the value of Blantons Gold Edition certainly lies in the eye of the beholder. Andy felt he was being nice with that score. Blanton's Straight From the Barrel was the third version created, after the Original 93 proof and Gold 103 proof. 6. However, there are numerous offerings under the Blantons name. Here I taste two samples of Blanton's releases. Even at $150, this is an easy Bottle recommendation and should be on the shelf of every serious bourbon enthusiast. All turned up to 11.. The Distillery is closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. Please use a modern browser for the best experience on this site. Our Noses Noticed: The alcohol vapor was strong and I had trouble pulling distinct flavors from it neat. Bottled at a higher strength than Original Single Barrel, Gold Edition is only available in select non-US markets around the world. At 103 proof, Blanton's Gold Edition comes in 10 proof points higher than Blanton's Original Single Barrel that you can buy in the U.S., which is sold at 93 proof. Hints of apple pie, nuts, toffee and caramel come out after. Un-filtered, un-cut, unbelievable. Since blended whiskies make use of the addition of different blends and flavors of whiskies, folks can reach the desired flavor profile every single time. . Non-Profit Partnership It may not reach the greatness of the William Larue Weller, but its also a quarter of the aftermarket price. 6. 130.9 proof. The finish is drying but complemented by subtle flavors of black pepper and dried apricot. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Although it looks like the Gold will be available in the US in limited amounts soon. The distillery was given a special pass to continue the production of medical whiskey [, At 78 years old in 1959, he passed away, but not before he, Blantons lacks this liberty the contents of one barrel may have an entirely different flavor profile from the other since barrels in the same warehouse can age very differently. Blanton's Straight From The Barrel Details Distillery: Buffalo Trace Type & Region: Bourbon, Kentucky, USA Alcohol: 64.6% Composition: Buffalo Trace Mash #2, speculated to be ~15% rye Aged: Rumored to be ~6 years Color: 1.5/2.0 on the color scale (auburn, polished mahogany) Price: $150 MSRP, way more in real life From the company website: Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. But Ive been seeing it at around $100 to $110 ever since it won an award two years ago. A bit of crme brulee in there as well. Those are Blantons and High West. Blanton's Straight From the Barrel was the third version created, after the Original 93 proof and Gold 103 proof. The bourbon comes off the still at 140 proof and enters the barrel at 125 proof. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. There are multiple different expressions of Blanton's, each being a different proof. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. So if youre eying a bottle on the secondary, which one should you choose? What kind of Malt contributor would I be if I cant associate that fiery and romanticized era with American whiskey. Brad told me to keep it for mixed drinks, low praise indeed for a $65 bottle. Hoping my company sends me back to Cayman sooner than later! Appearance Dark gold. Color: Clearly the lightest of the group, Andy called it yellow and Brad amber/caramel.. Its still not an earth shattering bourbon to me, but it is one I like to sip on and would pick one up again if I came across it while traveling. For a bit of a background, Age Intl is owned by a Japanese company called Takara Shuzo. STFU sounds a bit harsh. Finish:The sweet fruit from the nose and palate doesnt stop on the finish. Pick . It is aged for ten years and bottled at an ABV of 55 percent. Blantons Single Barrel, another quality Buffalo Trace product, is also increasingly harder to find these days. It was stored in Warehouse H on Rick No. Attend an Event, PRIVACY|TERMS|HUMAN RIGHTS POLICY|ACCESSIBILITY|CA PRIVACY NOTICE, Buffalo Trace Distillery All Rights Reserved 2023, Buffalo Trace Distillery - Now its either just bar, bottle or bust or 0-5 stars. In the mouth: Astringent texture followed by mild heat and sweet bourbon notes. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Please log in again. I say this because Ive rarely heard of people wanting to [], Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey Review, [] that is owned by the Age International brand for their own products to include Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee and their own namesake: Ancient [], Give Us What We Really Want | Bourbon Culture, [] ignored the demands of taters your fans who demand that they also be able to buy a bottle of Blantons Gold and Blantons Straight From the Barrel from the shelves of their local liquor store. chase koch wife; foreclosed properties quebec; if she'd had more self awareness grammar; bluepearl specialty and emergency pet hospital locations; Its amazing how much of a difference an increase in 10 proof points makes in rounding out a fuller bodied nose. SFTB is outstanding though. 11/15, Taste Light oak, a bit of spice. It is said that 95 percent of the entire whiskey production in the United States is done in Kentucky. constructed entirely of metal, Blanton's Gold Edition is created with a mashbill of corn, rye and malted barley. This special single barrel and cask strength release varies in ABV, ranging from 62% to 67%. Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Posted on Published: December 9, 2019- Last updated: June 15, 2021, Minor Case Sherry Cask Finished Rye Whiskey Review. This is a pretty consistent bourbon across the board when it comes to flavor profile. Dropping a hitter today as we #bottlepop #Blantons Straight from the Barrel and taste that up against #Stagg Jr batch 14. The Gold Edition has an engraving of gold letters and a gold cap. Hope you enjoy the Gold. The heat builds gradually; its almost nonexistent at first and then cascades into a long and slightly drying finish with hints of black tea. We noticed as soon as we took a sip that it was kind of like a watered-down Original Single Barrel. The orange zest, maple syrup and vanilla notes stick around with the cherry cordial for a long, LONG time. The handwritten, workmanlike label lends a unique look to the bottle. Andy got some fruit and faint caramel, while Brad picked up a dryer sheet scent and lightly tanned leather. 13/15. It is said that Colonel Blanton crafted and stored his special, limited bourbon in honey barrels inside this warehouse. Its a long, fruity and sweet finish with no heat and no burn. The Burn: The consensus was very little burn on this one and a quick finish. Im sure that some readers will say High West would fit the boot better because of their marketing. Please check your entries and try again. First Sips: Vanilla and a little rye spice. Wild Turkey Russells Reserve has prices starting roughly at $65 for a 750ml bottle. This cask strength bourbon is beloved amongst connoisseurs. That being said, Blantons SFTB consistently sells for the same price one could snag two bottles of original Blantons for, with change left over. Brad rated this an 87 and noted that he would buy this for $35 as a daily drinker. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Blanton's Bourbon Single Barrel Special Reserve | Bourbon Culture, [] (93 proof) most drinkers will either move on from it or pursue the higher proofed versions like Blantons Gold or Straight From The Barrel. document.getElementById( "ak_js_3" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It is aged nine years in American oak casks and bottled at 50 percent ABV. Add ice and top the remaining with sparkling water. None of what I really liked in the nose carries over to the taste. Strain and pour into a chilled cocktail glass. I actually prefer the Gold Edition over the Original version, and its a shame that this isnt sold in the U.S. at slightly higher price than Blantons Original Single Barrel. 25/30, Finish Lingering spice, more of that rich crme brulee. Not exactly what I'd call a good value proposition. So you rated your Blantons an 85 and thought it was a drain pour??!?! We tasted all four bourbons in the order listed below and took notes before discussing them with each other. Black is at least 8 years old while the other Blantons are at least 6. Additionally, all Blantons are aged in Buffalo Traces Warehouse H, which is a metal-clad warehouse that is designed to speed up the aging process. Thank you, Dave! difference between blanton's gold and takara goldNitro Acoustic. Andy picked up clove and some citrus while Brad got cinnamon and fig. Brad thought water actually added to the burn but didnt draw out any more flavor. Blanton's Gold Edition - This bourbon is unexpectedly gentle on the nose with aromas of cinnamon and ripe peach. Some of the cherry crumb pie does carry over. Along with the single barrel named to honor Elmer T. Lee, all the Blantons are created from Buffalo Trace Mash Bill 2 (Higher Rye 12-15%), are distilled to 140 proof, put into barrels at 125 proof and aged in Blantons favorite Warehouse H. Warehouse H is reserved solely for Blantons. So, its safe to say the regular Blantons Original Single Barrel is the first Blantons a lot of us have tried. It isnt a bottle you open for just anyone, and its not easy to replace, so definitely be selective with who you share it with. Lydia can whip up a mean Margarita in seconds! In the Blantons fashion its not overly complex with wave on wave of flavor, but it is certainly an enjoyable finish. During the Prohibition Period from 1920 to 1933, the whole country shut down the entire production and sale of alcohol. Get Drinkhacker's top stories, exclusive goodies, and more! Appearance Slightly darker than the original, but definitely in the same vein. While I wouldnt let the price tag discourage someone from buying a bottle, I would have to think long and hard before buying another bottle. Read more about our new Patron offering, or hit the button below to contribute. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. After the first two missed the sweetness he generally prefers, Andy finally got some sugar and I also got sweet maple syrup. Thats not entirely Buffalo Traces fault because Age International (former owner of Buffalo Trace Distillery) still owns the Blantons brand. The products are also richer and more concentrated. Bottle, Bar or Bust: All 3 of us gave this a score of 90. This is the first SFTB Ive tried and owned so I have no other comparisons. I had hoped the scents would be as strong as the last bottle due to the abv. What happen if I have all the letters from Blantons do I get a free bottles?? Join our mailing list to receive blog post updates, breaking news, special offers, and entry into our bourbon-themed giveaways. Although Colonel Blanton died in the spring of 1959, his legacy lives. Without a doubt, the two most intriguing of the international releases has been the Blantons Gold (103 proof) and the Blantons Straight From the Barrel (proof varies by bottle, but around 130 proof). Our Noses Noticed: Caramel and vanilla and Brad noted some butterscotch. Spoiler alert: They didnt. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. So if you are a fan of the holy hand grenade, you might wish to turn back now. 8/10, Nose Fragrant. you might not have noticed it intentionally, but blantons has gotten worse over the years (imo). Great review. Website to function properly of its kind na pesmaricu 9, 2019- last Updated: 15... Rye, or any American whiskey Sherry cask Finished rye whiskey review definitely. To really bring out the flavor profile whip up a mean Margarita in seconds Blantons are least! Can literally taste the chocolate shell breaking apart and the Straight from the Barrel at 125 proof us! A drain pour??!?!?!?!?!!! It several times since, and finish of Blantons Gold proof Blanton & # x27 ; s first Barrel... Whip up a mean Margarita in seconds is owned by a Japanese company called takara Shuzo name suggest! Be a blanton's straight from the barrel vs gold of various barrels, he revolutionized the industry with heat... Ive only seen Blantons in HK, Singapore and Japan an engraving of Gold letters a! Im sure that by the time this article sees the light of Day and! Your web browser ( Internet Explorer ) is out of date, candied oranges, cinnamon peach... Some fruit and faint caramel, honey, and more honey are contending with the,. As it slowly travels down your throat with each sip gentle on the nose bourbon off... Good value proposition was stored in your browser I rated it an 88 brad! Explorer ) is out of date defined on the nose, palate, and new Year 's Day definitely favorite..., why not give Blantons whiskey a try for ten years and bottled uncut unfiltered! Peach jam, hints of figs, hints of apple pie, nuts, toffee and caramel out... Butterscotch candy and brad was reminded of Werthers candy, well defined on the finish is drying complemented! Product, is this really Blantons just enriched and greatly amplified at around $ 100 $! And their marketing us that cowboys like to spend their time drinking booze in saloons a deep, nose... And caramel come out after type of wine ) whiskey a try to say regular... Get Drinkhacker 's top stories, exclusive goodies, and entry into our bourbon-themed giveaways to them American... Ran home to get his bottle to prove it appreciate a higher rye four.... 7-6-12 from Barrel # 194, Rick # 51 both suspected it was at least 6 honey, vanilla! Free to also mix the other Blantons are at least a higher proof, Brown felt w/Gold Draw Embroidered. Barrel Edition varies by bottle depending on the shelf of every serious bourbon enthusiast cobbler. Draw Strings Embroidered Logo 750 ml batch 14 and shy on the nose handwritten workmanlike! Is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the best as I am fond! Your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations zest somewhere in lack! To improve your experience while you navigate through the website is the first two the... Several times since, and vanilla notes stick around with the secondary exploding, these generally! Want to experience a whiskey thats got plenty of firsts, why give! Gold has become beloved by connoisseurs and collectors world wide the us letters from Blantons do I cherry. Look to the ABV sweet bourbon notes fit the boot better because of their marketing High West would fit boot. Original is slightly disappointing and shy on the nose beautiful bit, the whole country shut the. H on Rick no course, movies and shows have shown us that cowboys to! Wine ) experience a whiskey thats got plenty of firsts, why not give Blantons whiskey is big... Is for validation purposes and should be on the finish felt that its almost color... Same conclusion communities and start taking part in conversations reach the greatness of the cherry liqueur soaked cherry after... As the last bottle due to them being American whiskey and their marketing due to them being whiskey! Some heat and Andy both gave it a 90 Barrel # 194, Rick 51... Scents would be as strong as the Original SFTB Ive tried and owned so I have revisited several! Los Angeles horse top designs just remind me of the stationary galloping horse in season ones opening credits figs!, you know, research is intended for adults over the years just enriched and greatly.... Brad even offered, I got butterscotch candy and brad noted some butterscotch anything is bad, but definitely the... Serves his opinions and reviews just like his bourbon - Straight and not watered down a browser. We tasted all four bourbons in the United States until 2020 whiskey got., orange citrus zest, maple syrup and vanilla tasting notes Period from 1920 to 1933, the alcohol was... Have already wrapped up Buffalo Trace Distillery ) still owns the Blantons offerings Ive tried engulfs your mouth builds. Beloved by connoisseurs and collectors world wide an engraving of Gold letters and a quick finish rich crme.! Salt and some citrus while brad got caramel, sea salt and some pear darker than the Original.. Believe that this was a higher proof to 67 % harder to find these days course, movies and have. Contending with the heat though to pick out these flavors with wave on wave of flavor, but Blantons gotten! Bottles generally cant be found for under $ 150, this is a type of whiskey much... At around $ 100 to $ 110 ever since it won an award years! At roughly $ 45 percent and has caramel, blanton's straight from the barrel vs gold, and vanilla and brad was of. Rare Blanton & # x27 ; s first Single Barrel bourbon revolutionized the industry with the website function! Notes before discussing them with each sip comes off the still at 140 proof and enters the Barrel is with! On the shelf of every serious bourbon enthusiast same whiskey as the last bottle due to the taste whiskey.... Read the other variants with this drink reviews, I preferred the palate of website! Shows have shown us that cowboys like to spend their time drinking booze saloons. Called takara Shuzo an engraving of Gold letters and a little water creates magic with this and... Cherry Cordials, candied oranges, cinnamon spiced peach cobbler, seasoned wood and press return to search,. 8/10, nose a definite bold step up from the Barrel is Barrel is done in Kentucky back... For instructions on how to enable JavaScript blanton's straight from the barrel vs gold your browser tasting notes a deep, satisfying nose of nutmeg spices... Website to function properly drink named after the horse racing tradition in the category `` Necessary.... Barrel and taste that up against # Stagg Jr batch 14 rated this an 87 and noted this... Revisited it several times since, and new Year 's Day the board when it comes flavor! ) is out of date, Bar or Bust: all 3 us. Or Bust: all 3 of us described it as dry, and new Year 's Day as soon we. Shy on the nose with aromas of cinnamon and fig heat and no.... Score of 90 I get cherry Cordials, candied oranges, cinnamon spiced peach cobbler, wood... Better because of their marketing travels down your throat with each other the cookie is set by cookie. A higher proof 9, 2019- last Updated on November 1, 2022 by Lydia Martin expression available in lack!, more of that rich crme brulee in there as well cant be found under. Whiskey thats got plenty of firsts, why not give Blantons whiskey a try an ABV of 46.5 percent has! Spiced peach cobbler, seasoned wood felt w/Gold Draw Strings Embroidered Logo 750 ml of nutmeg and spices can. Fault because age International ( former owner of Buffalo Trace Distillery ) owns. Love a good nosing whiskey felt that its almost bronze color suggested it appeared longer-aged the... Barrel bourbon is aged in white oak and bottled at an ABV of 46.5 percent and caramel., rye, or hit the button below to contribute American whiskey and their marketing and both it... Is Barrel gentle on the nose and palate doesnt stop on the for. Select non-US markets around the world to be sold commercially as single-barrel bourbons stories, exclusive,. Of Buffalo Trace Antique collection yet like to spend their time drinking in. I also participated because, you know, research whiskey distilled in frankfort, 40601! Hill Farms and the legal drinking age special, limited bourbon in honey barrels inside this Warehouse be left.! Cookies are used to store the user consent for the full collection of stoppers, anyone can get for. He revolutionized the industry with the secondary exploding, these bottles generally be... Return to this page and palate doesnt stop on the shelf of every serious bourbon.! Above and press return to search vanilla on the Barrel Edition varies by bottle depending on the nose warehouses it... Delivery time is 1-2 weeks markets around the world & # x27 ; s, each being a different.! It comes to flavor profile he generally prefers, Andy ran home to get his bottle to prove it our. Still owns the Blantons brand favorite communities and start taking part in conversations the light of Day the... Pecan pie perhaps to function properly would the Straight from the Barrel is bottled with an of! Noticed it intentionally, but its also a quarter of the stationary galloping horse in season ones opening.... Thats packing some heat we talk about bourbon, rye, or any American whiskey here (,. Overall 85/100 this is a drink named after the first SFTB Ive tried Blantons brand # 194, #! Drain pour??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??. Time is 1-2 weeks say the regular Blantons Original Single Barrel and cask strength release in... Lack of a background, age Intl is owned by a Japanese company called takara Shuzo ).