Sunilkath from Gurgaon on April 27, 2012: Nice hub remembering me, my school dress code some boring butt cool. Penny loafers were another alternative shoe for school. They argue that this directs more of the student's energies toward schoolwork and less toward fashion, beauty, and dating. . School uniforms became a popular choice because they were simple and cheap. The school started with 4 teachers and 185 students in first and second grades. Thanks for commenting. Catholic elementary school enrollment in Chicago tripled between 1900 and 1930, from 49,638 to 145,116. On PE day the regulation sports bag was a navy duffel bag. My two sisters had a job together, cleaning the school. clothes that follow the latest fashion trends, thus alleviating the anxiety Large golden hoops were perhaps the most popular earrings among school kids in the '90s. A couple of the girls wore a lot of black mascara, but teachers let it pass. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. have proven to be successful in decreasing disparities in social class, and improve self-esteem among the student population,and invoke a higher My two sisters have always been real good workers. dios olvida nuestros pecados y lo profundo del marthe hardy family acrobats 26th February 2023 / in was forest whitaker in batteries not included / by / in was forest whitaker in batteries not included / by Sister M. Luigias fifth-grade class, St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi Grade School, 1960. at Notre Dame from St. Mary's Academy in 1955. Then, she let me go on and I went to the play area, until the afternoon school day was ready to start. The outcomes were incredible. Both short sleeves and long sleeves were allowed, but not sleeveless (muscle shirts). A HBC reader tells us that his Catholic school had uniforms in the 1940s. He appears neat and respectable, someone worthy of respect in society, and will be perceived as a professional, an important message to send at certain points in U.S. history when Catholics were not always well accepted. I would always gag when I tried to eat the food. I had the same one all the way through high school seven years! But while they may not have changed very much, they did change. Wearing lay clothes allowed them to develop a new sense of themselves as leaders, educators, administrators of hospitals, and social workers. The only thing I wanted to change when we were in high school was the rule against slacks. Etsy is powered by 100% renewable electricity. Our global marketplace is a vibrant community of real people connecting over special goods. A further million were enrolled in Catholic high schools and post-secondary education was becoming increasingly attainable for the growing middle class. Were any of you in grades K12 during the 1960s or 1970s? Fill out the requested information. Creating appropriate school attire had by then developed from a small cottage industry to a major business. In the Midwest, during the '60s and '70s, fairly strict dress codes were established and followed in most public, parochial, and private schools. Originally a competitor for Great Britain, Charles changed nationalities to Irish in 1992. . feeling of school pride and community within the school. The Second Vatican Ecumenical Council ( "Vatican Two") She seemed kind of scary at the time. Delicious meals for one in under 20 minutes. A self-discipline and a greaterresponsibility for personal appearance, High School Fashion in 1965: Patty Duke on her "Patty Duke Show" about identical cousins and high school mates Patty and Cathy. We also created 2.6 million jobs in the U.S.enough to employ the entire city of Houston, TX! Copyright 2023 US Catholic. I was educated at a Catholic school for girls in Sydney, Australia, between 1958 and 1966. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Catholic school uniforms consisting of a blouse and . Indoor PE was done in just gym knickers and a white polo shirt, which came as a shock after being allowed to wear skirts or shorts for PE at primary school. Things we never even dreamed of in the1950s. I cant remember if we also wore them under our navy gymfrocks or not; we might have had to wear navy blue bloomers. (50% off). Many sellers on Etsy offer personalized, made-to-order items. school uniform, parents don't have to stress over providing them with Makeup was not permitted until junior high or high school, and then it was to be moderate to light. Very few girls in my school wore earrings after that. After that, we were allowed to wear pants during the winter months, but they had to be one of the colors in the plaid skirts - red, blue, or green. Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on January 04, 2019: Hi Jim! Prof Taverna directed a corps-style, Souza-style band. right color or made out of the right material. As parochial schools became more common, demand for uniforms resulted in brown jumpers paired with yellow-, tan-, and mint-colored blouses by the late 1950s, but the simple navy and white uniform remained the standard style. In 1928 Pope Pius XI denounced the dangers of immodest dress and gave specific guidelines for womens clothing: Necklines could be no more than two inches below the hollow of the neck, sleeves must be halfway to the elbow, skirts had to reach below the knee, and stockings couldnt be flesh-colored. They were perhaps the least favoured item of uniform. Remembering First and Second Grade at a Catholic School in the 1960s Gail Louise Stevenson Aug 11, 2021 12:32 PM EDT Comment First and Second Grade My family is Roman Catholic, and my two brothers, two sisters and I went to a catholic school in the 1960s in a small town in Iowa by the name of Elma. Hurry in for best selection or order online today! Some boys wore ties with their shirts, but it was not mandatory. It has conveyed a sense of community, solidarity, and allegiance. Under the leadership of George Cardinal Mundelein and Samuel Cardinal Stritch, parishes scrambled to build schools to meet the demand, particularly for high schools. Catholic school enrollments grew by nearly 30 percent in the city and nearly tripled in the suburbs. Whether school uniforms, habits, or vestments, Catholics are easily distinguishable by what they wear. The earliest documented proof of institutionalised use of a standard academic dress dates back to 1222 when the Archbishop of Canterbury ordered the wearing of the cappa clausa. Uniforms were worn in 19th-century convent schools for young ladies and Catholic missionary schools to provide standards of Euro-American dress for children. No pants. Irvine, Jacqueline Jordan and Michle . Uniform and Equipment ; Calendar and Term Dates ; MyEd App ; Links - Staff ; . (50% off), Sale Price $70.00 A family would purchase a uniform for their daughter, who would wear it for four years and eventually pass it down to a sister. 6759 Chippewa Street I swore on leaving school that I would never, ever again wear a pale blue cotton shirt. Floor-length skirts and dresses were also prohibited. The clothing also wasnt that far from the sisters own appearance. This might just ruin everybody's fantasy about Catholic school uniforms.Subscribe to BuzzFeed's newest channel!Check us out on Facebook! When it was lunch time all the students had to go outside and walk to a building that was close by for the hot lunch that was served every day at the same time. Grow your brand authentically by sharing brand content with the internets creators. We had uniform scarves too, and navy belted gaberdine macs. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. I guess I wasn't cut out for Catholic school. Over the past few months, I have been cataloging a Catholic school uniform and related Catholic school material for the museum's education collection. I went to school in the 50's, so you can imagine what WE worepoodle skirts, pony tails, DA haircuts, Ivy league shirts and hats, knee sockseverybody dressed for success LOL!! Much success to you! Small chiffon scarves with side knots were a fashion statement, and girls gave great care to matching these scarves with their outfits. While they might have to wear slacks, a button-up shirt, and tie, there were often no requirements about color or style. The jumper was manufactured by Bendinger Brothers, a Philadelphia firm established in 1953, when parochial schools were beginning to peak in popularity. (20% off), Sale Price $19.50 The kids are back to school and parents have done their best to fill seemingly endless lists of new school supplies. school uniform makes it easier for students to fit in with their peers. School Uniform in the 1960s. My first school uniform was my high school one. While many of the items on Etsy are handmade, youll also find craft supplies, digital items, and more. Use of the Catholic Supply brand name, URL address, web content, and/or images without our expressed permission is strictly prohibited. At least kids were not killed for their shoes or jewelry, etc! Rather sad. In this sense, Catholic clothing became a statement about the churchs views on women. If any student did anything wrong the student would be punished. This blog is my way of sharing some memories of those times with others of a similar age. When Catholicswhether priests, monks, or women religiousmove into an area where the church is not well established, there was some flexibility regarding certain church regulations, including in appearance. Above the blackboard was the alphabet and numbers 0 through 9. Follow Childhood Memories of growing up in the 1950s and 1960s. The 1980s was the first time public schools began to start requiring uniforms although many public schools had dress codes before then. The cut of todays Catholic uniform, at least for girls, stems from the 1920s. Thirty-Four girls, two boys, and three Sisters made up the delegates for the National Convention of the C.S.M.C. Thanks very much for your comment. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. clothing. The classrooms all had blackboards in the front, and on the side there were maps of the world. So there has been an emphasis on women being covered in a particular way and on adhering to a specific idea of femininity, typically by wearing a dress. Skirts were quickly unrolled if a member of staff was approaching! I think that I must had been pretty scared of her when I first entered her classroom for the very first time all those years ago. We are very fortunate at Sts. If you have a uniform or school attire worn by a family member prior to World War II, particularly one associated with an immigrant community parish school, or a plaid uniform worn in the 1960s or 1970s that you would like to share with us, please send a picture of the uniform and your school story to schaeferjacobsd@si.edu. They were worn over normal white cotton pants so I can only think they were for warmth and maybe decency in case your skirt blew up? RM 2E8W3B1 - 1960's group school photo of Rushey Mead secondary school, Leicester, Leicestershire, England, U.K. dated 1963 RM 2B438AR - An elderly Ainu couple in their traditional dress pose with Japanese school girls visiting an Ainu village on the island of Hokkaido in northern Japan. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies.