Choral Journal,57(11), 2034. Perhaps youd like a cute gender-neutral name for your adorable new baby! Lily: I have always had a lower voice. Cute Gender Neutral And Non-Binary Names 2023. Whatever the reason, more and more families are trending toward using gender-neutral names for their babies. For many singers he has known and interviewed, musicwas not aplace of refuge, it was not a safe space because of how gendered their choralexperience was.. Inquire about their medical transition if applicable. Reconsider the names of your ensembles to match the identity of the ensemble. By Donna Murray, RN, BSN Now I am nally seated in the tenor section. Attire is an important way in which all people, trans and cis, represent ourselves to the world, and forcing singers to wear clothes incongruent with their gender identity can be especially uncomfortable for transgender singers who already struggle to have their identities respected. I want to t in with all others, male and female, regardless of what section I sing in. If all these considerations have got you overwhelmed, just take a moment and, as you would prepare to sing a note fortissimo. 8. Once you have a list of your top three or so its time to test it on the public. If youre looking for trendy, gender-neutral names, these monikers work for any gender. Fun Fact: Hunter Hearst Helmsley is the professional wrestler who goes by the name of Triple H. Fun Fact: Jayden Shiba is the Red Ranger and the 18th leader of the Samurai Power Rangers. Lily currently sings tenor in the Concert Choir. A gender-neutral name is unisex, meaning you can give it to a baby girl or a boy. Amber has had a testosterone imbalance her entire life. Roughly 0.6 percent of the U.S. population is transgender. Real progress can be made if we open our minds and hearts to explore the reality of our students journey so that we may provide the tools and setting to enable all to successfully experience making music. To remedy this, some bind chest tissue with compression shirts, sports bras, or other materials, which can greatly reduce discomfort and improve wellbeing. Our website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. When collecting contact information, include a line for all singers (not just transgender ones) to write in what pronouns they use. There are plenty of pretty male and female names that can be used as gender-neutral options. Evess embodies events that highlight the success in peoples lives. A great example was put together by Nadine Cooper, who heads up the Tuneless Choir. Creating Inclusive Choirs: Transgender & Gender Nonbinary singers 1. Lily: I have made new friends in choir that I would not have had. 3. Fun Fact: A phoenix is a legendary immortal bird. And, if youre struggling to make the decision yourself, why not create a shortlist of options and ask the members of your choir to vote for their favourite option for your new choir name. Miller, J. R. (2016). Read our, 100 Popular and Unique Gender-Neutral Baby Names For Your Baby, 100 Celtic Baby Names: Meanings & Origins, 38 Baby Names That Start With the Letter "O". Be knowledgeable about transgender singing voices. SEO: Hedgehog, This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Fun Fact: John Wesley is one of the founders of the Methodist movement and the Methodist Church. 10. : I have always had a lower voice. Jamie: I never plan to stop singing to the best of my ability, and I want to make the best of the rest of my years in high school in choir and to make a change in the choir program; to let trans kids know it is possible to sing no matter what. They are amazing young people. I am discovering the possibilities of my voice. I am grateful for these students with whom I work. Fun Fact: Blakes 7 was the name of a British sci-fi TV show that ran from 1978 to 1981. When people hear the name Tuneless Choir, they instantly know what theyre in for, its a memorable and unusual name but still indicative of the type of choir you are. When you first choose a name for your choir, youll need to decide whether you want to make it descriptive or non-descriptive. A final choir performance, celebrating your achievement at a graduation and even completing the first steps to becoming a legal professional. And traditional choral practices that divide singers into gendered categoriesreferring to sopranos and altos as ladies and tenors and basses as men or requiring gender-specific clothingcan heighten these feelings of discomfort. Landry 9. These names are real words found in the dictionary used out of context. The name, Sierra Nevada, means snow covered mountains. Joshua received hisPh.Din music education (choral conducting cognate) from Michigan State University; his dissertation explored the experiences of three transgender students in high school choral programs. Here are some popular and unique gender-neutral names along with their meanings, origins, and other interesting information. Fun Fact: In the Indian culture, there's a similar name, Kiran, which means ray of light. The reeds come from certain types of plants. Proudly powered by WordPress She identies female, but vocally presents as a low tenor/baritone. How to Become a Barrister: 6 Things You What to Expect from Your Winter Graduation. Post a rainbow sticker or other visible symbol of support as an LGBT ally in your classroom or studio. In a past Choral Journal article, Jane Ramseyer Miller addresses the topic of Creating Choirs that Welcome Transgender SIngers. Fun Fact: Diamonds were mined from the Kelsey Lake Diamond Mine in Colorado from 1996 until 2001. Zane She holds scales to weigh the evidence and wears a blindfold to show fairness and impartiality. This leaves little room for confusion or doubt and means that audiences know what theyre in store for when they watch your choir perform. Combining two existing words is a popular way to create fanciful choir names, you can see some examples of this clever wordplay below: There are a few options you can take with the non-descriptive route however, its not unusual to combine the two methods. Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. Easton 6. How to Finally Choose A Name for your Choir, Get everyone to suggest a name each, use this article to help with brainstorming. After a long life, it burns in flames, then rises from the ashes and is born again. Find out what voice part they would like to sing, and (perhaps even more importantly) what the connection is (if any) between their voice and their gender identity. Despite this, we are becoming more visible, with more people identifying as transgender and doing so earlier in life, according to several studies published by the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law. Gender-neutral names, however, can lean masculine or feminine. Provide gender-neutral restroom options in rehearsal and performance venues. Voice part assignments, says Palkki, require conversation and sensitivity., 10. Fun Fact: Frankie Stein is the name of Frankensteins daughter in the doll collection and animated show Monster High. Boston, MA 02210, (877) 460-3801 2) Haruka, pronounced HA-ROO-KA meaning "spring" or "fragrance". Using a name generator can be good for inspiration, but those names can often lack personality and take the fun and passion out of the entire process of choosing choir names. Loading shell for quizzesApp1 vue props component in Globe. Ariel - This Hebrew name means lion of God. While it can seem challenging to completely make up a new word, there are simple ways to form a fanciful choir name for your singing group. Use "people," "folks," "friends," or "everyone" when referring to the choir as a whole. Jamie: Im afraid of losing my range and my voice becoming scratchy and hard to sing with and losing my vibrato/voice quality that Ive worked very hard for. As mentioned before, these decisions are based on your choir and vocal groups own goals and objectives. On the other hand, if your name is for a temporary summer school childrens choir, the importance of this final stage reduces. He is Raggedy Anns brother and a member of the National Toy Hall of Fame. Yau also notes the names that have switched the most, ping-ponging back . As a genderqueer person, someone who is not either a man or a woman, I myself have experienced gender dysphoriabecause of my involvement in choral singing. Noel. Providing a third, more gender-neutral, option can also create room for transgender people. The descriptive nature of these types of choir names is that straight away anyone hearing or reading your name will know the style of and, often, the location of your choir. Terrin 11. The lives of transgender people. Fun Fact: Some parents give the name Remington after the firearm manufacturer. You may believe theres no need to work on gender inclusion because there arent any transgender singers in your chorus, or maybe because youre not an LGBTQ+ ensemble. Fun Fact: In Welsh myths, Dylan ail Don was a sea-god. We face extensive discrimination and high rates of violence. Jordan is a classic gender-neutral baby name, nabbing spot 435 in 2018 for girls and 82 for boys. While theres a lot to think about, we recommend trying not to go for the overused, generic option of heading straight for the first automatic vocal name generator you find on Google. The important thing is to choose the name that you feel best suits your child. Fun Fact: London Bridge Is Falling Down is a traditional childrens song and game. This article is not intended to provide answers, but to merely spark and encourage more meaningful conversations. While that is an important aspect that is addressed by these recommendations, the musical training and experience conductors already have provide a strong foundation to do that work. Both statements should be widely publicized, including on the ensembles website, and in promotional and audition materials. Education needs to be ongoing to account for singer and staff turnover and to stay current on recent developments. Choirs can and should be safe havens for all LGBTQA singersbut particularly for transgender singers who may or may not face a disconnect between their gender identity and their vocal range (Palkki, 2017). Advantages of these sorts of choir names include showing a sense of pride of place, especially if you are from a well-known city like Cambridge. When you are accepting someone into the chorus, says Steele, you need to know: Are they mid-transition, and do they audition as a tenor, but theyre going to turn into a bass by mid-season?. Its also a good idea to collect pronouns in auditions (see No. Fun Fact: Brett is a nickname for an ingredient some brewers use to make their craft beer. Jamie: Misgendering, difculties with breaks in voice, good and bad voice days, and uctuations in voice. Avery - This French name means elf king. Including (origins), "meanings", and nicknames. Choral teachers should refer to sections, not genders, says Palkki in his 2017 Choral Journal article Inclusivity in Action: Transgender Students in the Choral Classroom, because not everyone who sings soprano or alto is a woman, and not everyone who sings tenor or bass is a man. This group were originally an unnamed choir of sixteen good friends who decided to name themselves after the number of members, this UK choir is now one of the best in the world. Amber was encouraged to sing in the Mens Choir for vocal range, but did not identify with that ensemble. Fun Fact: Dallas is a city in Texas. People want to do right by other people, says Steele. 763-566-1460 | Toll-free 888-678-6632 When a story is added to these types of choir names, they make sense. Auden: Of Old English origin, meaning "old friend. It is pronounced as 'haa-bun', but some people may pronounce it as 'hay-bun'.. 07 habib Read More Origin: Arabic Description: The name Habib is a boy's name. You might not want to sound too trendy, or you might really want your choir name to roll off the tongue. How are we increasing our knowledge and under-standing to better serve all of our students? Examine requirements mandating gender-specic concert attire. Fun Fact: Queen Latifahs real name is Dana Owens. For all of us, but especially singers, voice is critical to our identity. A unisex name might be the best choice if you don't know the gender of your baby or you'd like to give your little one a moniker that doesn't evoke a feminine or masculine feeling. We may believe we know a persons gender based on how they look, but to create an affirming ensemble you need a culture in which people dont make those assumptions, says transgender singer and composer Mari sabel Valverde. info@mmea.org, *This piece was originally published in the Spring 2017 volume of the. Baby could be a Quinn, a River, or a Jude; the sky is the limit with the gorgeous array of options! Fun Fact: Kendall Mountain is a ski destination in Colorado. Jamie: My singing voice is very important to me, and just be-cause I am an alto (mezzo-soprano range) doesnt change the fact that it is my voice, and therefore is a boys voice. She has served as the Honor Choir Coordinator for Central/NCACDA and as the MMEAs Choral Vice President. Stephanie Lowe, Goodto.com Family Editor says: "Going for a gender . Provide Trans 101 for all staff, volunteers, and singers. Lambert identifies as a gay and bi-curious male; Levine is a straight male, who is open about and supportive of his brother's gay identity. Required fields are marked *. While its not appropriate to ask a trans person if they are taking hormones, consider asking auditioning singers (trans and cis) if they are, or expect to be, going through a vocal transition in the coming year. 8. Keep the cool and vintage sounds going with the following unisex baby names! I sincerely hope that you will take some time to consider how to include all singers. Fun Fact: Sydney is the largest city in Australia and a top tourist destination. The Transgender Singing Voice Conference was held at Earlham College in January 2017, and the Trans Voices Festival hosted by One Voice Mixed Chorus will take place April 13 and 14, 2018, in Minneapolis. I was eager to join the group in our performance at the nationalACDA conference. Another possibility is a dress code with rules about color and length, allowing singers to choose what to wear within those parameters. Everyone comes together and sings and thats what really matters. Asher - This Hebrew name means blessed or happy. Some trans people will wish to sing a voice part that matches their gender identity (e.g., a trans girl/woman may wish to sing alto or soprano). Discuss what type of name you think most suits your choir brand. Similar to changes in adolescent AMAB (Assigned Male at Birth) people during puberty, this is often accompanied by a period of instability and a reduced range before the voice settles. Fun Fact: Lois Lane is a well-known comic book character and Supermans romantic partner. Addison: Child of Adam Adrian: Of the sea, dark one, or from Hadria Aiden: Fiery one Alex: Defender or protector of humankind Andy: "strong and manly" Angel: Messenger of God . Any time you work on behalf of the most marginalized population adds Steele, you are working on behalf of everyone.. Fun Fact: Raggedy Andy is a doll and book character. Spread the loveDo you want to give your child a gender-neutral name, meaning that you can give it to a boy or girl? But you cant tell by looking whether someone is transgender, and trans singers do not sing exclusively in LGBTQ+ groups. www.encoretours.com. Nonbinary people may also choose to identify as genderfluid, agender, genderqueer, or enby. Fun Fact: The Kennedy family is one of the most prominent political families in U.S. history. Include a statement that the chorus is open and affirming to transgender people in organization documentation, and adopt a gender-neutral language statement. Fun Fact: John Lennon is one of the co-founders of the English rock band The Beatles. 6. There are a number of terms people use to identify their gender. If you have further questions, please email me at josh.palkki@csulb.edu or visit www.queeringchoir.com. Assign sections based upon range and vocal color rather than gender. This was my simple attempt at getting to know my students and learn about their struggles and triumphs. Dr. Palkki has served as a guest conductor across the country and one of his latest projects includes the creation ofqueeringchoir.com, a resource site for all things LGBTQ in choral music education. Amber was encouraged to sing in the Mens Choir for vocal range, but did not identify with that ensemble. Whats really important, says Jane Ramseyer Miller, artistic director of One Voice Mixed Chorus in St. Paul, Minnesota, and artistic director-in-residence for GALA Choruses, is if you call it a womens chorus, then it needs to be open to all women. Nonbinary people may rule out these ensembles to avoid being labeled a man or woman by virtue of singing in the chorus. Fun Fact: Parker Brothers game and toy company is best known for board games such as Monopoly and Clue. Nothing. Kane 8. In an effort to honor the student voice(s) and continue my journey of knowledge and under-standing, I want to introduce you to two current students and one former student: Jamie identies as transgender and started his physical transition through testosterone treatments in August of 2016. Fun Fact: Evan Hansen is the main character in the Broadway show Dear Evan Hansen.. Gender is a fluid spectrum, and having a choice of gender-neutral names that reflect identity is important. Getting ready for little Jayden or sweet Finleys big arrival? Jamie is an alto by vocal range and currently sings in and is President of the Womens Choir. For more inspiration on unisex names, check out baby names based on nature, travel and astronomy. Its crucial not to assume everyone will know the story or connotations of your choirs name straight off the bat. August 5. Fun Fact: Charlie the Tuna is the well-known mascot for StarKist Tuna. Gender neutral name ideas Addison Adrian Alex Archer Austen Asher Avery Bellamy Bailey Billie Blake Blair Brett Brooklyn Cameron Campbell Carson Charlie Channing Clement Dakota Dorian Drew Dylan Emerson Ellis Evan Finley Frankie Gray Grayson Haddon Harper Haydon Hollis Honor James Jamie Jesse Jordan Justice Kai Kennedy Kris Kyle Landry Lane Lennon However . Refer to singers by their voice (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) rather than genders. Whether places refers to exciting destinations or supporting your music programs at home, Encore is with you every step of the way. Fun Fact: Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are a favorite American candy made with chocolate and peanut butter. If youd like to evoke a sense of the past or generate some cool vibes, check out the follow gender-neutral baby names. A common theme in the performing world is for the performing group (s) to appear uniform or consistent so as to demonstrate unity in the ensemble, whether it be a band, choir, orchestra, or some other musical group. 9. Celebrities like Jordan Sparks and Jordan Peele come to mind. Fun Fact: In medieval times, Noel was often given to a child born around Christmas. For Sauerland, the uniform thing is just an utter no-brainer. When posting for singer auditions keep language about voice parts gender-neutral. Then Ill be like, Oops, tenors and basses, Im sorry. Even with the best intentions, missteps or oversights will occur. : My voice uctuates a lot and sometimes is scratchy and hard to work with. William Sauerland, who teaches at Chabot College in Hayward, California, is focusing his dissertation on the teaching of transgender singers. For many of us, choruses arewhere we come together to make music and feel like were part of a welcomingcommunity. Our working together has made me aware of how much I dont know. Fun Fact: The Sierra Nevada is a mountain range in the western part of the United States. Learning more and more about the industry throughout his time working for the company, and so following much research, Dominic is able to offer help, guidance and provide information in specific areas of the Graduation and Legal sectors. Beemyn, G., & Rankin, S. R. (2011). I want to t in with all others, male and female, regardless of what section I sing in. Fun Fact: Oakley is a popular brand of designer sunglasses, eyewear, and clothing. Miller said the choirs are now using names based on voice association rather than gender association. 3. Behind the scenes @boesendorferofficial with a mas, In collaboration with Diane Linn, Executive Direct. Fun Fact: There are many towns with the name of Addison throughout the United States. Lily identies as gender-uid and is a low alto/high tenor in terms of range. Stephanie Trump is Director of Choirs at Armstrong High School and Director of the Womens Chorale at University of Northwestern, St. Paul. Fun Fact: Grayson Stadium is a baseball stadium in Savannah, Georgia, and home of the Savannah Bananas baseball team. Refer to singers by their voice (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) rather than genders. For more baby name inspiration check out these popular baby name lists: Considering one of these names? Although their personal journeys and testimonies are different, they share common thoughts about singing in choir. There are many reasons to consider a gender-neutral name when deciding what to name your child. Top Tip: Use your singers to help you with this by running a competition for your singers, whoever wins gets a prize of your choice. Be aware of how top dysphoria and chest binding can affect breathing. For example, the names Dana, Ashley, and Leslie were once mainly used for boys but are now increasingly common for girls. There truly is no shortage of options for good gender-neutral baby names. 6. 2. Bailey: A surname originating in the Middle Ages in England, it means "bailiff" or "enforcer of the law." Blair/Blaire: Meaning "plain or field," this name has Scottish-Gaelic origins. singers. Haven 7. The following names have a pretty sound or beautiful meaning (and some have both). PO Box 43956 The same applies to mens ensembles wanting to include transgender men. Email or pin up all the names for everyone to see, Give everyone three votes and get them to vote for their favourite 3, The top three with the most votes get voted on again. Your graduation ceremony survival guide for a day to remember, Graduation Ideas: How to have a memorable day. Fun Fact: Disney Pixars film Inside Out takes place inside the head of Riley Anderson. I was always an alto. Accept Read More. They have fully and patiently supported me in trying to expand my understanding and maintain a choir home for each and every singer in our program. Fun Fact: Cassidy is the name of a song by The Grateful Dead. Fun Fact: Storm is a powerful fictional character and member of the X-Men who can control the weather. The series begins with the 1976 classic novel Interview with the Vampire. Parker is one of those charming gender-neutral names that works just as well in the baby years as it does into adulthood. Familiar favorites such as River (#110 for boys in 2021, and #151 for girls) and Rowan (#106 for boys, #241 for girls) enjoy a double dose of popularity that makes them feel more common than the official stats would suggest. In a new setting, ask singers their preferred pronoun. The roots of the name are of Arabic origin. Gender-neutral baby names are inclusive while still being nonspecific. Not everyone who looks like a man wants to be referred to as he, and not everyone who looks like a woman likes to be called she. Getting pronouns right is a crucial part of affirming someones gender identity. Its hard for transgender people to know whether a womens or mens chorus will welcome them. They are sometimes considered Americas version of a royal family. identies as transgender and started his physical transition through testosterone treatments in August of 2016. 2. Please consult our Resource List for Welcoming Transgender Singers companion, compiled by Ari Agha. I like to sing and explore voice. Brooklyn Park, MN 55443 Here are the best unisex baby names and gender-neutral names, suitable for both boys and girls in 2023. Ariel. Resource List for Welcoming Transgender Singers. Avoid using gendered language in rehearsal and performance. Avery: A name of British origin meaning "ruler of elves." Baylor: A popular name for boys and girls meaning "one who delivers goods." Bellamy: A gender-neutral name of French origin that means "good friend." Billie: A German name meaning "high protector." Blair: A Scottish name meaning "field" or "meadow." It was mortifying. At CSULB, he leads the University Choir, teaches courses in music education, interfaces with the College of Education, and mentors graduate students in music education. sang in the Varsity Womens Choir with Lily last year. While some transgender people take pride in having a voice that does not match our gender identity, for many, this mismatch causes intense dysphoria.AFAB (Assigned Female at Birth) people who take testosterone experience a thickening of the vocal folds and a deepening of the voice. Whats particularly hard, says Joshua Palkki of the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music at California State University, Long Beach, is breaking with tradition: Theres so much tradition in choral music, andso many things that just have been done without question, because its the way things have always been done. Choruses must deal with our history of naming and separating by gender, says Seattle Pro Musica artistic director Karen Thomas.