Based on 1 reviews. During last year mowing, was slowly losing any speed in reverse. #1 I have a Husqvarna YTH2348. You must switch off the mower before servicing, fixing or replacing any part of the hydrostatic drive. Push the lawn mower to a flat, open area of your lawn. Air enters the system during shipping and when the transmission is replaced. If not properly maintained, expect these mowers to last half of their life span. I could walk faster than the mower would go. Robert Johnson is a woodworker who takes joy in sharing his passion for creating to the rest of the world. I had the same problem with a 20 year old Craftsman tractor as described above but found I also needed to change the transaxle oil. It is kind of tough to get at - I lowered the lawn mower deck and got the tractor up on ramps and I could see the drive belt way up there. firestorm_570, I had a similar problem with my crafstman lts2000 where it didnt reverse all i did was adjust the lever thats underneath the battery and started goin in reverse again, Jun 14, 2021 by If your Husqvarna mower suffers from a faulty charging system that causes this issue, its time to take it to an authorized repair shop. I have a Husqy YTH2042. Walk to the rear of the lawn mower. Craftsman rear engine riding mower, Model #247.290000 bought new in 2013 read more Curtis B. However, when you encounter internal engine issues that youre unfamiliar with, our lawn care experts suggest consulting the user manual or sending the unit to a repair shop altogether. Also, a stabilizer can be used to clean the fuel system. I did a search for that online and found that this was quite a common problem. If its the fuel system, then your mower might need a new filter or fuel pump. However, if you can see all these parts and functions, then your mower can be faster. The power derived from the engine into the wheels changes its torque in line with the conditions. Place tractor safely on a level surface - that is clear of objects and open - with engine off and parking brake set. If not properly maintained, expect these mowers to last half of their life span. I recently replaced the drive belt due to it continuesly fell off. She loves writing about careers for busy families as well as family oriented planning, meals and activities for all ages. But theres no need to panic just yet. At least the transaxle seems ok.if that was the problem it wouldn't have been worth taking it to a shop for a $1000 + repair. If you ever wondered why a mower would start smoothly to suddenly stop working, it could be from a dirty spark plug. Essentially, it facilitates the conversion of horsepower to actual movement. Newbie lawnmower users like you wouldnt know, but the deck belt is responsible for the pump to work efficiently. I went through the routine 3 times, but to no effect. I dipped an allen wrench into it and it looks like clear motor oil. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/outdoo Steve VanKirk any tags any identifier on the transaxle? Yes, the belts do stretch and they develop a glaze over time, both contribute to slipping under load. However, it has the added benefit of connecting a ridden mower's motor to the rear wheel axles. Craftsman Mower Model 917.289240 is a YTS3000 with a hydrostatic drive. Okay, let me tell you. Any problem with the drive will cause the lawn mower to fail. This is usually caused by debris getting into the fuel line or simply due to normal wear and tear over time, which causes small particles to get stuck in the lines. If you choose to try one of the suggestions made in this video, you do so at your own risk. cutting deck is reinforced with heavy flat-stock steel for added strength and durability, Speed and direction are controlled by pedals, letting you keep both hands on the steering wheel, For added comfort and support while mowing, Comfortable wheel is angled for optimal driving, Reduces the risk of scalping uneven lawns, Maintain consistent speed, even in rough terrain. As you know, spark plugs ignite the engine, so it can be a hassle if it malfunctions. 1. Steve is a qualified small engine mechanic and is working in an open and fully ventilated shop for the purpose of making this video. Given that basically all riding mowers are about the same, you look for a little break in the price or . Raise the Husqvarna lawn mower's attachment lift lever on the left side of the operator's seat to the highest position. I found that if I barely pushed the Forward pedal, I could get it to move, but the further I pushed the pedal the less it would move. I have seen where mowers with hydrostatic transaxles work fine in reverse but fail to move very well in forward when the plastic v-idler is heavily worn. Zero-Turn & Riding Mower Accessory Fit Up Chart, Robotic Accessories & Installation Materials, Customer Support Center & Product Manuals, Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA Residents), Digital with pre-programmed service intervals. Other reasons that may lead to loss of engine cranks are improperly seated dipstick, tube, or damaged valve cover. Loose spark plug wires may result in a bad connection and eventually lead to your mower not starting. Push the throttle control down to the slow position. Debris in the mower and spindle could also cause this issue, so be sure to clean the unit thoroughly. When filling the oil again, ensure the engine is at its normal temperature to avoid overheating of the engine parts. When smoke comes out from your Husqvarna zero-turn mowers like the, , there are many factors to consider. I have replaced the drive belt and purged the transmission as the manual states, but no success. Why Wont My Honda Lawn Mower Roll Backwards? Slowly move motion control lever forward, after the tractor moves approximately five (5) feet, slowly move motion control lever to reverse position. Sometimes, problems like these have trivial causes. It's not always the drive belt or transmission. Mower drive belts slipping is major reason some riding . Bent spindles, bearings, and blades should be up for replacement to avoid further hassles. Belts look good, good tension but I can move them some. A Husqvarna riding mower is good for four hundred to eight hundred hours. A hydrostatic transmission can be adjusted by adjusting the control rods from the speed control lever. I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 riding mower. It's probably wear in the K46. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. My Husqvarna zero turn mower shuts off when I engage the blades and when I pull the arms in to move the mower. Its tricky, but unbalanced blades could make your mower vibrate while in operation. Seems one of the idler pullys on mine has "stuck". The ride is comfortable. Get the most out of your equipment with Husqvarna Care. A leak of the oil that powers the hydraulic pump will reduce the internal pressure and can cause difficulty in shifting. This control rod connects to the hydrostatic transmission at a regulator valve, which determines the rate of fluid flow through the transmission and the output speed to the wheels. How Do I Adjust the Travel Speed for a Honda HRX Mower? John Deere S130 Riding Lawn Mower 42-in 22-HP V-twin Riding Lawn Mower. Failure of any one of these components will prevent the lawnmower from moving. All you need to do is check certain components to solve this issue. It is important to drain the oil thoroughly before filling it with fresh fluid. Upgrade your mowing with Husqvarna yard tractors. If you figured that oil level is the issue, the next step is to fill that tank with fresh fuel. The mower goes forward ok - maybe not as fast as when new but it is ok. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. When did you last change the oil? When you purchase a new Husqvarna riding lawn mower or have a new transmission installed, however, purge the transmission to release air within the system. Not just that but you cannot shift from one gear to another since there is no system. The John Deere S130 lawn tractor is the premium 42-inch deck model of the 100 Series line up. Besides that, this issue often occurs when Husqvarna mowers operate with dirty or faulty spark plugs. Repeat this procedure with the motion control lever three (3) times. The same advice applies to worn-out tensioner pulleys. If not properly maintained, expect these mowers to last half of their life span. 3. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Riding Lawn Mowers YTH21546 Motor/engine manufacturer Husqvarna Power output 21.5 hp Riding Lawn Mowers YTH22V46 Motor/engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton Power output 22 hp Riding Lawn Mowers YTH18542 Motor/engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton Power output 18.5 hp Riding Lawn Mowers TS 148X There you should see a fill plug. The "V" pulleys seemed ok, but the "Flat" pulley had a big damaged spot about an inch long.looked like a part of that plastic pulley had melted. 3 years old. If you have one of these mowers and you have a slipping drive belt before you replace it check your frame brackets. And with the comfortable, high-back seat and ergonomic steering wheel, mowing . I used a mighty vac to remove suck all of the oil out of the transaxle and replace it with new. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Repeat this procedure an additional three times. Bad dampers could also be why the cutting deck is steering in the wrong direction, so its best to replace them if you notice anything wrong with them. If so, that is going to go a bit beyond my back yard mechanic's abilities. The reservoir is full to the bottom of the filler hole. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. It does not appear as having any kind of access from the bottom. CAUTION: At any time, during step 4, there may be movement of the drive wheels. Mar 2, 2020 by Jul 4, 2017 by Forward and reverse speed were greatly reduced. Steve VanKirk. . Go to USA (English) Remember my choice. Larry W Howell. Yeah. Please ensure that you take all proper safety measures before attempting any project. Continue with Recommended Cookies. years & hours if known please D deminin Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. We let high performance meet usability and safety, making you ready to get the job done efficiently. All Products; . The transmission capacity of a hydrostatic lawn mower can also be affected by the failure of the hydrostatic drive switch and the mechanical parts that it has. 7. I replaced the drive and deck belts earlier this year, and they seem to be OK. With motion control lever in neutral position, slowly disengage clutch/brake pedal. Besides that, replacing springs and axle keys could also solve these problems with the Husqvarna mower deck. I have seen mowers like this where the belt would slip due to a build up of grass on the frame where the pedal would bottom out against it and cause the belt to slip. This will also cause your, Other causes that may call for cleaning and replacement are a defective fuel pump, clogged fuel line, uncleaned carburetor, and broken recoil. Where is the parking brake located on the transmission on a sears craftsman 18 hp koler engine 46 in. The drive belt is a key component in both ridden and push mowers. Shutoff engine and set parking brake. Will look into adjustment rod. If your Husqvarna mower suffers from a faulty charging system that causes this issue, its time to take it to an authorized repair shop. But if youre in doubt, its always best to bring the unit to an authorized repair shop or technician. If thats the case, our experts urge you to follow Husqvarnas recommendation to have more fuel change intervals to keep the hydraulic system strong. I hope this information will assist you to handle the problem of a hydrostatic lawn mower without having any difficulties. It could be very dangerous if you do not properly operate the lawn mower and make sure there arent any issues. When you purchase a new Husqvarna riding lawn mower or have a new transmission. Are fill areas for trans easy to find/get too? If youre having problems with your mowers bagging, disposal, and mulching functions, our experts would like to note that these functions must be executed at full throttle through the starter rope. Sep 30, 2022 / Husqvarna YTH24V48 barely goes forward #2 That is very interesting Usually a case where a small amount of pedal travel causes movement and a large amount causes it to stop indicates a low oil level However that will be the same in either direction on a hydro drive How old is your mower . I see what brands of oils are recommendedbut what weight? The solution for this can either be cleaning or replacing the plugs. There is a standard temperature requirement for the oil. Most of these units should be sealed units, but some actually did have a plug. If you can get your Husqvarna riding mower started, but it refuses to move or reverse, your drive belt and tensioner may be worn out or damaged. It will not move forward on any kind of "incline", but it does fine if I turn it around and mow backwards. Baggers (10) Hitch Kits (1) Mulch Kits (9) I had a similar problem and checked various threads. Move the motion control lever to "Reverse," and drive about 5 feet. Clogging is a major issue that can occur in many areas of your riding lawn mower. This problem can be caused by a clogged fuel line, which is often the result of debris getting into the fuel line and causing a blockage.