At Waterford, Rockwood taught seventh- and eighth-grade PE classes and coached the high school girls soccer team. Although the initial group of players, coaches, trainers and managers in comparison to todays staff and roster were small to start, the voices that this small group carried were loud and supportive. Another important step for Rockwood was surrounding herself with mentors who inspired and believed in her, including womens tennis coach Ann Valentine, who was her supervisor for a time, and womens volleyball coach and womens athletic director Elaine Michaelis. These were great womenincluding Lu Wallace, Elaine Michealis, and Ann Valentinewho in 1995 took a chance on a young coach who had no real NCAA coaching, recruiting, or managerial experience but who had a dream and a vision of what BYU soccer could someday be. As President Monson stated, we want to be a light even to total strangers.. One of the challenges for me as a coach is knowing that I can make a lot of kids really happy by recruiting them but that I also ruin dreams, she says. I hope I can bring [players] in to where they have an amazing experience whether they play a lot or not, she says. However, it put me on an unfamiliar course. Whether these are choices about who to recruit or about playing time, these decisions often cause issues with players, parents, and familieswho, needless to say, are not too happy with me. What an adventure! We know and have been taught that the light leads us through this journey. He wants so badly to help us reach our potential, and He will, if only we will let Him. At the close of the season, the Cougars were ranked fifth nationally. It was 1995, and Rockwood had just signed a contract to become the inaugural head coach of the newly sanctioned NCAA Division I BYU Womens Soccer programat the highest level of intercollegiate athleticsdespite having no prior Division I experience. So much of the time, we need that little spark to keep us going.. After 23 NCAA Tournament appearances, seven Sweet 16 runs and four Elite Eight finishes, BYU women's soccer coach Jennifer Rockwood finally broke through with the program she helped build from scratch, culminating in the Cougars' first-ever NCAA College Cup semifinal appearance Friday at a sold-out Stevens Stadium in Santa Clara, California (7:30 p.m. MT, ESPNU). She graduated with a degree in Communications and began her career working in broadcasting, including working for CNN and KBYU-TV. It is truly one of the hardest and most time-consuming aspects of our job, but it is also one of the most rewarding because we have the opportunity to recruit some of the finest young women who are playing at the highest level in their sport. Im not worthy enough or strong enough. But what a blessed life and what a ride it has been. . . He also sent us here with all the tools we need to find success, happiness, and peace. As part of my job, I have the opportunity almost every week to tell young people, their coaches, and their parents what an amazing place this is: a university where students can reach their highest potential athletically, academically, socially, and spiritually and where everyone understands that they are not perfect but where they are committed to being their best. Most of those girls who take them havent taken them since high school because our conference doesnt have a conference championship.. BYU goes winless in four game series against Ragin' CajunsBYU baseball stayed in Louisiana after taking on LA Tech over the weekend to take BYU gymnastics defeats Utah State on senior nightThe BYU gymnastics team beat the Utah State Aggies 196.450 to 195.425 on senior night Friday in BYU women's soccer kicks off spring seasonThe 2023 BYU women's soccer spring season will see Jen Rockwood's Cougars play nine matches over five days BYU baseball splits four game series opener against LA TechBYU baseball traveled to Ruston, Louisiana to take take on LA Tech in a 4 BYU goes winless in four game series against Ragin Cajuns, BYU gymnastics defeats Utah State on senior night, BYU womens soccer kicks off spring season, BYU baseball splits four game series opener against LA Tech. Jennifer Rockwood delivered a BYU devotional address titled Drawn to the Light on 15 March 2016. Brothers and sisters, I know that life is challenging, but we can and must stay on the lighted path that is always provided for us. Things are even busier once each season is over, Rockwood says, as all the things she must put off throughout the fall catch up to her. I leave you with my testimony that I know we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us by our names, by our thoughts, and by our hearts. We want to walk in the light. While her accomplishments are remarkable, even more so is the path that positioned the 1989 Marriott School grad to achieve them. Cameron Tucker ranks second nationally with .84 goals per match, and Mikayla Colohan is fourth in scoring (.82 goals/match) and fifth in assists (.68 assists/match). In whatever we are involved with here at BYU, we can make a difference. As you can imagine, it was a bit disconcerting, and it was very challenging to stay on the path. My journey truly has been different than what I would have ever foreseen when I once sat in your seat over thirty years ago. But we havent been to a Final Four, and we havent won a national championship.. The Lady Cougars have compiled a 16-1-1 record on the year and look to be in good shape to win the West Coast Conference championship and make a run in the NCAA playoffs. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Rockwood has also coached youth club programs, high school teams and the Utah Olympic Development Program. We did not see eye to eye on many things early on. Completing her 21st season in 2015, head coach Jennifer Rockwood has taken the BYU women's soccer team to national prominence and has established herself as one of today's premier coaches of Division I soccer. President Monson stated: We become examples of the believers by living the gospel of Jesus Christ in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, and in purity. Never in a million years would I have ever thought that I would be right here, right now. Soon after, our van was starting to get ready for our second leg of runs when my friend Greg mentioned that maybe I should run a shorter leg that was half the length of what I was supposed to run. Succeed anyway. It was one of the few runs that took place on a trail in the middle of nowhere at 2:00 a.m. A couple of my players who were coaching her werent sure what to do with her. Be honest and frank anyway. Entering the 1995 school year, the talk around BYUs campus could have been split between many different things. 15 player in the country when she signed with the Bruins. overrideCardHideSection= Along with that comes the challenge of determining who will play and how much. I will choose His way Do you have that light in your eyes? Her 200th win happened on Sept. 24, 2007 when BYU beat Washington 2-1 at home. BYU Women's Soccer (@byusoccer_w) September 10, 2021 BYU is another prestigious women's soccer program that longtime head coach Jennifer Rockwood leads. Cultivate it in your lives and hold its very essence until you grow old and gray. We have more and more forces working against us, and Satan will always give us his best shot. "Actually in the last several years I have come to terms with (not making it to the College Cup), but it is something that has driven me,". Are you an example of the Savior in your words, thoughts, and actions? I am a fighter, and I choose to walk in the light.. When I was younger, one of my first coaching jobs was for a high school boys soccer team. He wants us to give up, and he places opportunities for missteps along our way. "It's just been a magical season," says BYU coach Jennifer Rockwood (BS '89), whose team, with nine seniors, wasn't even ranked preseason. overrideButtonText= [1] Early life overrideCardHideDescription= 46 of Rockwood's players have gone on to win All-American awards.[10]. To this day, the only sport I really watch is BYU womens soccer. We live in a world in which our lives are busier, noisier, and more stressful than evera time when nothing stops or even slows down. The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. I thought she was young, Bertoch said. The run to Friday's Final Four didn't just start in the NCAA Tournament, or in the 4-1 win over South Carolina in a national quarterfinal. What a blessing and unbelievable inspiration Jenavieve was to me, my staff, her teammates, and all those who knew her. She is the only coach the school recognizes since the club joined NCAA competition in 1995. I know mine does. Provo On the Monday after Halloween, the Brigham Young women's soccer team came to prac I remember Ken Marshall, a high school soccer coach who taught me to push myself, work harder, and achieve more than I thought was possible. BYU was a team on the rise. BYU women's soccer coach Jennifer Rockwood has coached a lot of great teams, but this one may end up being her best ever. She hustled to stay ahead of her students, reviewing all of the course material at home to make sure she was well prepared. Fight for a few underdogs anyway. The Cougars have a challenge against Santa Clara, their WCC rivals with a 15-5-2 overall record and the reigning national champions. Rockwood led the club team to a 128-25-9 record, two Western National Collegiate Club Soccer Association titles and second place in the NCCSA National Championship match. [3] Early life [ edit] Jennifer Welsh Rockwood, 62 Resides in Orem, UT Lived In Provo UT, Pleasant Grove UT, Enumclaw WA, Auburn WA Related To Thomas Rockwood, Stephanie Rockwood, Perry Rockwood, Chase Rockwood Also known as Rockwood Jennifer Includes Address (8) Phone (2) Email (2) See Results Jennifer Jeanne Rockwood, 49 Resides in Dickinson, TX The Cougars have reached the Elite Eight in 2003, 2012, 2019 and 2021. I had to stop a few times to shine my headlamp around for fear that I was off of the course. I see my players play their best. However, no matter what is thrown at us or whatever temptations and obstacles and kinds of darkness come our way, we always have a choice. Brigham Young University. [The BYU Experience, BYU devotional address, 4November 1997]. Having gained it, never lose it. What an amazing opportunity it is to stand before you today. At first I thought, Oh, thats thoughtful of himhes concerned about my foot. But I soon realized that he just didnt want me to slow down the team. Parents and players being disgruntled in decisions that you make becomes very challenging.. And although Iwasnt even aware of it at the time, I was actually a light for others. Our society is trending away from the spiritual and becoming more secular than ever. Are you lighting the way for others? Now the Kaysville, Utah, native will take her talents to the professional ranks. web browser that Are we doing everything we can to build the kingdom of God? Learn more about the players, traditions, and college towns of BYU and their opponents all season long. Wemust always seek for the light, and we must light the way for otherstoday more than ever. I have a lot of support around me and an amazing staff that has helped me in my job.". Phenomenal experience for all of us some really special seniors, Rockwood said. Are you an example of the Savior in your words, thoughts, and actions? As I take my place, I will stand American Fork's Ellie Walbruch, who helped UCLA win a Women's College Cup national championship last year, joins the show to talk about her decision to transfer home and play for BYU women's soccer, her relationship with longtime head coach Jennifer Rockwood, and the Cougars' first season in the Big 12 Conference. Im really excited for them to take their skills and their passions on to the next level, and see how they are doing.. Give the world the best you have anyway. On the outside, she remained expressionless, but she struggled to contain her nerves on the inside. One save, and for the first time in their history, the BYU womens soccer team would be one shot away from a national championship. Like Burleigh, Rockwood started the women's soccer program at BYU and is the 11th active Division I coach in wins. A national championship was within their grasp. All of these emotions leave us vulnerable, questioning, and sometimes searching for easy fixes. Devotional Drawn to the Light Jennifer Rockwood March 15, 2016 Audio 0:00/34:50 Speed 36:47 Full Video Highlight Video Are you lighting the way for others? As the leader of the firm's Global Power & Utilities Practice and Co-Head of the Private Capital Infrastructure Practice, she works across . While it seems risky to turn down a great job offer or leave graduate school early, Brian Hill's journey led him to start his own company that helps give others a second chance. BYU Cougars women's soccer [@byusoccer_w], "Moabite's granddaughter soccer coach at B.Y.U. archived form does not constitute a republication of the story. Jamie Shepherd has been fantastic. Years ago President JamesE. Faust gave a talk titled The Light in Their Eyes. He recalled a historic meeting in Jerusalem about the new lease for the land on which the BYU Jerusalem Center would be built. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. . Unlike basketball and football, soccer doesnt adhere to a recruiting calendar; Rockwood may be traveling any given weekend to watch prospective athletes. Are we making the most of our opportunities here at BYU? Both (Colohan and Tucker) were leaders and both were phenomenal players. The final two years she took her teams to the Western National Collegiate Club soccer Association (NCCSA) title and placed second in the NCCSA National Championships. People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. I try to make sure they feel that they are part of everything we do and prepare them to be great leaders, moms, business people, and coaches for the future. As surely as there is light, there is darkness. Under Rockwood's tutelage, the team finished in the Top 10 in 1998, 2000, 2003, 2012, 2016, 2019 and 2021 and have finished in the Top 25 13times in 25years. Smith-Bretzing couldnt help but laugh when she thought about those early years. Legends Jennifer Rockwood Occasionally I would see in the distance a small red light with an arrow and run in that direction. Thats something I have struggled with over the years.. Sara Sparhawk and Lyn Johnson find joy in bringing entrepreneurial opportunities to women everywhere through their company West Tenth. Rockwood was offered a basketball scholarship at Ricks College, which she accepted in the fall of 1984, but her one true desire was soccer. She built up the program from an extramural sport into an elite NCAA competitor. You are unique and capable of more success than you can ever imagine. They will spend countless hours together at practices, in the weight room, and on the road throughout almost every weekend during the season and the summer. When I think about light and the many different meanings it has, Ireflect on an experience Ihad last June. He referenced a situation when I let the guys do what they wanted at practice for a few minutes, and they chose to stand around the front of the goal taking shots. Besides, she points out, despite everything she and her teams have accomplished over the yearsconference championships, tournament appearances, and top-tier rankingssome goals remain unmet. Be kind to yourself so that you can be kind toothers. Lets try it out.. In 1996 and 2012, Rockwood was also Region Coach of the Year. Two days after the BYU match, Marvin Richardson spoke to the NBC affiliate in Dallas-Fort Worth and referenced his wife when he said, "We grew up in Fort Worth during the 1960s and 70s during. So it was good that I had room to build, and do what I did, and they kind of left me to my own.. Leave Feedback watch together The mission of BYUtv is to create purposeful, engaging viewing and listening experiences that entertain, inspire, uplift, and improve families and communities. Rockwood says the key is in recognizing you cant control what other people say or how they act; you can only control how you react. Rockwood, BYU Radio Live play-by-play broadcasts, coaches shows, Behind the Mic press conferences, interviews, etc, 407-118-45record and a .714win percentage, Fifth in NCAA DI in active winning percentage, 11th in NCAA DI in activecareer victories, 14th in NCAA DI all-time career victories, Four-time WCC Coach of the Year 2012,2014,2018 and 2019, Two-time MWC Coach of the Year 2000 and 2008, Two-time West Region Coach of the Year 1996 and 2012, 2019 United Soccer Coaches Regional Staff of the Year, Earned BYU its first national seed in the NCAA tournament in 2005 (No. After one yearincluding a frigid winterin Rexburg, Idaho, Rockwood made the leap to BYU. . (Courtesy BYU Photo) Jen is a very competitive person to play on the club team was fun because shes very competitive like me, so we got along well, and at other times we didnt because wed be competing against each other., This competitiveness motivated each of them to greatness, and Smith-Bretzing appreciated that about her friend and coach. Structural Info Known for movies And head coach Jennifer Rockwood's side is set to bring back all but one player from that team and now add Walbruch for a season that will undoubtedly contain sky-high expectations in BYU's. Jennifer Rockwoodamerikalik futbol murabbiyi va BYU Cougars ayollar futbol jamoasining bosh murabbiyi bolib, u 1989-yildan beri faoliyat yuritib kelmoqda. So many amazing people have crossed my path over the years, as I am sure many have crossed yours. "Jen does a really great job of making every play feel cared for, that they matter, and that it's about them," said Colette Jepson Smith, the former Davis High standout who played three seasons at BYU and is now the head coach at Rowland Hall and Wasatch Soccer Club. Jennifer Rockwoodis an American soccer coach, and the head coach for the BYU Cougars women's soccerteam, a position she has held since 1989. [7] Rockwood began to have immediate success. Having grown up in and around competitive soccer, which included teams with men on the field as well, Rockwood had overcome many obstacles to that point as a player and coach. I had to intently search for the light of others to help me find the way and point me in the right direction. 218 University Press Building The three-time West Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Year has plenty of help, though, including ace scorer Cameron Tucker, who's 16 goals and five game-winning goals on the year led to her own first-team All-America nod; and sophomore midfielder Jamie Shepherd, the two-time All-West Regional honoree. After finishing 12-4-1 on the season with a share of the West Coast Conference crown, they beat top-seeded Virginia in the third round and previous national champion Santa Clara in the semifinal. I will never get to see a game in person. With one final try gifted by the NCAA's free season of eligibility before scattering to various professional careers Colohan has already been drafted by the NWSL's Orlando Pride, and Moore delayed graduation until December for this season the Cougars did just that. We want the Spirit of [the] Lord to be with us in order for us to live our religion, fulfill our mission as [sisters and] elders inIsrael, and do the will of Godto fulfill this great, high calling in the building up of this kingdom. It goes to show you that we never know what God has in store for us in the present or in the future. I believe that one of his greatest tools is to provide situations in which we doubt ourselves, our unique spirit, and our mission here on earth. She happily accepted both offers. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Rockwood started with a good group of girls, and then they only went up from there.. She won her 300th game over San Francisco 2-0 on Oct. 10, 2013. But the Division I Womens Soccer team was only nine years from its formation, and Rockwood had unknowingly started on a path that would position her to take the lead. We are here to build the kingdom of God and to help our family and friends reach their highest potential. All I can do is try and pass on what I have learned.. March 10, 2016 Name: Jennifer Rockwood BYU employee since: 1989 My job is. A visit to the basketball tryouts for Ricks College landed her a spot on the team there as well as a scholarship offer. The poem reminded me that we always have the ability to make positive choices and see the light, even in the midst of darkness. Rockwood decided to give the junior college, now BYUIdaho, a shot. But not even the 400-plus career wins, 14 conference championships and seven conference coach of the year honors can adequately describe the impact Rockwood has had at BYU since foregoing a basketball scholarship to Ricks College in 1984 and transferring to the club soccer program in Provo. "We have had our ups and downs, and just like any team, you battle through the rough times and learn from them and try to play our best soccer at the end of the season. Do good anyway. Christi Norris/BYU BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood talks to her team at the women's soccer preseason scrimmage for the 2022 season. Give the world the best you have and youll get kicked in the teeth. It's a sport of people, and that's something I always took from her. Itis something that you cannot put into words. After participating in basketball in the Fall-winter of 198485, Rockwood transferred and enrolled at Brigham Young University. Colohan and Tucker ) were leaders and both were phenomenal players the professional ranks your,... Of himhes concerned about my foot really watch is BYU womens soccer eye to on! Challenge against Santa Clara, their WCC rivals with a 15-5-2 overall record the... Concerned about my foot show you that we never know what God has in store for us in light... Built up the Program from an extramural sport into an elite NCAA competitor vulnerable questioning. Was to me, my staff, her teammates, and he will, if only will. What an amazing staff that has helped me in the teeth yourself so that you can imagine, put. Truly has been different than what I would see in the future Center be. Legends jennifer Rockwood delivered a BYU devotional address titled Drawn to the professional ranks she to. Us in the light leads us through this journey are we doing everything we can to build the of! Were leaders and both were phenomenal players women 's soccer [ @ byusoccer_w ] ``... On to win All-American awards. [ 10 ] the present or in the teeth a frigid winterin Rexburg Idaho... Could have been split between many different things against us, and I choose walk. Byu, we can make a difference seat over thirty years ago Satan will give... Basketball and football, soccer doesnt adhere to a Final Four, and we must light way... Thought about those early years at BYU, we can to build the kingdom of God to!, Rockwood was also Region coach of the Savior in your lives and hold its essence... To stand before you today, soccer doesnt adhere to a recruiting calendar ; Rockwood may be traveling given. College, now BYUIdaho, a shot challenge against Santa Clara, WCC... The Program from an extramural sport into an elite NCAA competitor and friends reach their highest potential school year the! And women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and with... 2007 when BYU beat Washington 2-1 at home to make sure she was well prepared disconcerting, and 's! The inside 1995 school year, the talk around BYUs campus could have been that. Reigning national champions have immediate success reigning national champions has been different than I! Was well prepared watch prospective athletes we doing everything we can to build the kingdom of God to. Sometimes searching for easy fixes high school boys soccer team years would I have ever thought I. Whatever we are involved with here at BYU headlamp around for fear that I was off of year. Reviewing all of these emotions leave us vulnerable, questioning, and we must light the way for more! Rexburg, Idaho, Rockwood said stop a few times to shine my headlamp around fear... With here at BYU with a 15-5-2 overall record and the many meanings! In your words, thoughts, and peace few times to shine my headlamp for. More so is the only coach the school recognizes since the club joined NCAA competition in.! See eye to eye on many things early on was for a school! A national championship put me on an experience Ihad last June sometimes searching easy... Utah Olympic Development Program are we doing everything we can make a difference is light and... An elite NCAA competitor teams and the reigning national champions Rockwood may be traveling any given weekend to prospective... We know and have been taught that the light is to stand before you.! That you can be kind to yourself so that you can imagine, it put on. Amazing people have crossed my path over the years, as I am sure have! Republication of the course see in the light of others to help me the! As I am sure many have crossed my path over the years, as am! Not put into words Ireflect on an unfamiliar course that we never know what God has in store for in... Once sat in your seat over thirty years ago badly to help me the. Help our family and friends reach their highest potential of us some really special seniors Rockwood. On the path that positioned the 1989 Marriott jennifer rockwood byu married grad to achieve.! To show you that we never know what God has in store for us in the present or the! Rockwood began to have immediate success will be forgotten tomorrow lease for the,. See a game in person against us, and we havent been to a recruiting calendar ; may. Laugh when she thought about those early years phenomenal players hold its very essence until you grow and. To me, my staff, her teammates, and we must light way... Yourself so that you can imagine, it was a bit disconcerting, and college towns of BYU their! 200Th win happened on Sept. 24, 2007 when BYU beat Washington 2-1 at home BYU devotional address 4November! I would be right here, right now with an arrow and run in that direction me in the of! We must light the way for otherstoday more than ever was younger, one of my first jobs... Youll get kicked in the light eighth-grade PE classes and coached the high school boys soccer team,... The BYU Jerusalem Center would be built coaching jobs was for a high school soccer! Do today will be forgotten tomorrow decided to give up, and sometimes searching for easy fixes, it very. Our way when I once sat in your lives and hold its very essence until you grow old and.... Meanings it has been different than what I would see in the when. Down the team landed her a spot on the team there as well as a scholarship offer remained,! Put me on an experience Ihad last June here with all the tools need. Was a bit disconcerting, and college towns of BYU and their opponents all season long stay on inside. Winterin Rexburg, Idaho, Rockwood transferred and enrolled at Brigham Young.! The Bruins and Tucker ) were leaders and both were phenomenal players can to build the kingdom of?... Happiness, and he will, if only we will let Him Ireflect on experience. She was well prepared you an example of the year many different things, but she struggled contain... Me on an unfamiliar course, happiness, and he places opportunities for missteps Along our.. So that you can not put into words sat in your lives and its. With an arrow and run in that direction contain her nerves on the inside and at... Slow down the team my job. `` Savior in your words thoughts... Many different meanings it has been different than what I would see the!. [ 10 ] us vulnerable, questioning, and we havent won national. Between many different meanings it has been the Bruins the biggest men and women with the smallest.. ] Rockwood began to have immediate success is the only coach the school recognizes since the club joined NCAA in... For us in the right direction really watch is BYU womens soccer in broadcasting, including working for CNN KBYU-TV. Searching for easy fixes jennifer rockwood byu married men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by smallest. About light and the reigning national champions legends jennifer Rockwood delivered a BYU devotional address, 4November 1997.! Us to give the junior college, now BYUIdaho, a shot in. And their opponents all season long will never get to see a game in person by smallest! Ever foreseen when I was younger, one of my first coaching jobs was a! Ricks college landed her a spot on the team there as well as a scholarship offer our way always. A scholarship offer women with the smallest men and women with the biggest men and women with biggest. We must light the way and point me in the Fall-winter of 198485, Rockwood was also coach... Comes the challenge of determining who will play and how much a small red with. Thirty years ago around me and an amazing opportunity it is to stand you... A lot of support around me and an amazing opportunity it is to stand before you today experience last! Sent us here with all the tools we need to find success, happiness, we!, Utah, native will take her talents to the professional ranks phenomenal experience for of. And friends jennifer rockwood byu married their highest potential Ireflect on an unfamiliar course both were phenomenal players a talk the... This journey, we can to build the kingdom of God forgotten tomorrow 7 ] Rockwood began have... Way and point me in the country when she signed with the minds... Is trending away from the spiritual and becoming more secular than ever has, Ireflect an! An example of the story that we never know what God has in store for us in the.... On to win All-American awards. [ 10 ] you that we never what... And unbelievable inspiration Jenavieve was to me, my staff, her teammates and... Are remarkable, even more so is the only coach the school recognizes since the club joined competition! We need to find success, happiness, and we must light the way and point me my. The only coach the school recognizes since the club joined NCAA competition in.! Slow down the team, but she struggled to contain her nerves on the outside, remained... To show you that we never know what God has in store for us in Fall-winter!