Have mercy! For what its worth, I fully support your stand in almost everything else. Not on Amazon it aint! Cool name, cool Church I knew that it was one of the fastest growing mega churches in the USA, and had heard a little of its pastor, the dynamic Stephen Furtick. [38] He has delivered multiple sermons where he discusses these issues. 3) You respond by providing no evidence and say that you are not against mega churches. I think about it this way would I rather sell a million copies of my books with little fruit, or sell a few hundred of each and yet have those few hundred profoundly affect and change the lives of many? This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. [52], Grace Community Church, Sun Valley, California, Independent Fundamental Churches of America, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Theology and Ministry: An Interview with John MacArthur", "1998 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners", "Voice of Calvary Legacy - The Legacy - Page 3", "When should a Christian fight for his country? On top of that, MacArthur also took a salary from Grace Community Church that was "well within the upper-medium range" for California church employees, according to Johnson's 2014 statement. So far there has been no evidence given for assertion. All rights reserved. As for Southern Baptists liking Donald Trump, its almost as bad as you liking Scottish Nationalism. We only do pale imitations of what is not great anyway! https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=vvjMUrPUfC4&app=desktop. John MacArthur - Jr. Church and Steven Furtick Jamie A 154 subscribers Subscribe 214K views 7 years ago Fun little clips I put together to give an example of what Dr. MacArthur was speaking on.. Wendy Guay's friend, Lisa Ward, was a witness to an attempted abuse by Paul against herself and his own daughter back in 1979. His message contained enough truth to make it seem plausible, but at heart it was man-centered. He went on to say, "I understand that Im a fifth cousin, and so its quite a distance but nonetheless we are related. John MacArthur, pastor of the popular Grace Community megachurch, is recovering from a sudden onset of illness. David, once again you are making assertions that do not stand scrutiny. To ignore its message is to snub that which the Holy Spirit inspired. "Just so you know, Pastor John had a bug this week and preached our first hour but asked if he might be able to take a break for the second hour. I found helpful most of what he said and disagreed with a few things. I dont know enough to say anything about the worship, church structure and other ministries of the church, so I wont. . [36] Speaking about evolutionary theory, he writes that Christians "ought to expose such lies for what they are and oppose them vigorously." I made no comment on how Matt Chandler lives as a Christian. - John MacArthur", "John F. MacArthur - The Master's Seminary", "MacArthur Appointed Baptist College Gets New President, Name", http://www.bing.com/search?q=When+was+the+MacArthur+New+Testament+Commentary+Series+completed%3F&go=%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A8%E3%83%AA%E9%80%81%E4%BF%A1&qs=bs&form=QBRE, "The Modern Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit", "Reexamining the Eternal Sonship of Christ", "The Loving Husband: A Portrait of Christ", "Can Women Exercise Authority in the Church? I dont know enough about Elevation to make that kind of judgment, but there are warning signs. John MacArthur was able to summarize Furtick as a minister with one word: unqualified. He did not say Timothy Keller is an anti-Christian preacher. [42] Furtick responded to this comment in his 2016 book Unqualified: How God Uses Broken People to Do Big Things. New Calvinism quenches that desire, and true dedication to a distinctive Christian life.. Why is that disgraceful and totally unwarranted? If I was a young Christian I know I could have easily been swept along with this stuff it seems such an attractive message, and he is such an attractive man. His church takes in $500,000 per weekcertainly it has given $10 million over a decade to other causes, but for a congregation which is taking in over $26 million a year, that is hardly sacrificial giving. What is there to apologise for? 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. (You can read the follow up five years later! Now of course the labourer is worthy of his hire, and it is not a sin to be rich. Your email address will not be published. I will reply to them briefly. As a preliminary observation, there is no name calling. or redistributed. Very pleased with the approval of an $800,000 settlement and total win for my clients, @johnmacarthur and @GraceComChurch, on behalf of @ThomasMoreSoc. 2) You actually did explictly state that Matt Chandler was not a good example of how the gospel should be preached or lived. I wonder if you thought the same and you told me that in order to come across as thinking that you mentioned one which you thought was ok/good. (2Tim. But again I explained why I chose Dallas. Period. For more information about the Church Finder, read our Statement of Purpose.. The point I made about Matt Chandler himself is that it took the pressure from outside his church to galvanise him into doing something. It can only harm true Gospel work, and promote worldliness in the churches. And if you want classic legalism try this Truly converted young believers have an inborn instinct to turn away from their previous worldly music and dress styles. by RELEVANT. And I wasnt using any of the debating society tricks of tu quoque and ad hominem in anything that I said. It is sometimes quite difficult to know how to answer you because of the way in which you misrepresent what is being said. "[23][24], In 1983, MacArthur first published his belief in the doctrine of "incarnational sonship." A prominent elder at John MacArthur's Grace Community Church (GCC) has resigned, stating in email leaked to The Roys Report that his "conscience and convictions" were not aligned with other GCC elders. And if you do wish to engage here, I would find it helpful if you answered my questions and stick to the point otherwise such threads just become a string of accusations. Were deeply grateful for that. If we believe that the message in our books is from God, and we feel it so strongly, then we dont really need to promote it, do we? In 1969, after graduating from Talbot Theological Seminary, John came to Grace Community Church. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. Elevation Church were accused of getting 'volunteers' to come forward during the 'spontaneous' baptism services, in order to encourage others to get up out of their seats. And what is your position, from Scripture, on the subject? I have a suspicion that much of the health and wealth teaching which is plaguing much of the church in Africa, Asia and South America is primarily an export from the US, with perhaps a little help from Europe, (all in the name of spreading the gospel). Thanks again, Your email address will not be published. http://thewartburgwatch.com/?s=Matt+chandler&x=0&y=0 JOHN: When you go out the door, there's one for each of you. Cameron Buettel, Grace To You, Hillsong, Jeremiah Johnson, music, worship. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. [39], For example, with respect to sexual orientation, he asserted that "no one is gay" as "God didn't hardwire anybody"[40] to be gay any more than he "hardwires" individuals to be adulterers or bank robbers. This following sermon was full of what can only be called psychobabble. Btw, yes Im a pastor of a tiny church and I have worked multiple jobs all 20 years I have been at the church to make ends meet. I made no comment on how Matt Chandler lives as a Christian.you didyou declared I was somewhat alarmed by the endorsement of Matt Chandler as a good example of how the gospel should be preached and lived.. Just to settle this bit of your disagreement: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Calvinists-ES-Williams/dp/1908919329/, Wonderful thanksnow I can read it on my KindleI have no idea why that did not show on my Amazon page. My main problem about the teaching is that it seems to be so man/woman centred. Ward's father, John Tucker, was also a member of the church who had been informed . He did say that some of his views reflected the old style Liberation Theology and Social Gospel, confusion over eternal punishment and other things. I simply stated that the book on my Amazon feed was priced at 30 and I was not going to pay that. We even had the background high pitched sentimental organ music towards the end as he told the (with a tear in his eye) the sad story of his dad, especially when he turned up to hear his son preach for 24 hours to mark the publication of his latest book. (John MacArthur). In 1969, after graduating from Talbot Theological Seminary, John came to Grace Community Church. I have reread the comments by G Whiteand my own responses. You were rightthat was not very mature. From 1964 to 1966, MacArthur was hired by his father as associate pastor at the Harry MacArthur Memorial Bible Church (now Calvary Bible Church in Burbank, California), which his father Jack had planted and named after his own father. Hardly the same as Furticks message! You can either keep silent, go of to somewhere else who will accept your gossip, or repent.obviously I would prefer the latter! As for his preaching, we will disagree. This submission to Jesus as Lord when converting to faith in Jesus Christ became known to Arminians as the Lordship salvation controversy in the 1980s. [2] He is currently the chancellor emeritus of The Master's University in Santa Clarita and The Master's Seminary. Reiterating his stance on 1 Timothy 2:12, he went on to state, "There is no case that can be made biblically for a woman preacher. I know of Alistair Begg from his Hamilton Baptist days but not much else. There is nothing that makes me believe in God and the Gospel more than the church in all its beauty, and there is nothing makes me doubt more than the church in all its ugliness. If I had said that I wasnt happy with any mega church, that would have been a fault as well. But if the theology and ecclesiology is off, then alarm bells start ringing. I'm a bank robber."[41]. We are pleased to report that he is doing well," Grace Community Church wrote Monday on their website. (function(d){var f = d.getElementsByTagName('SCRIPT')[0], p = d.createElement('SCRIPT');p.type = 'text/javascript';p.async = true;p.src = '//widgets.wp.com/platform.js';f.parentNode.insertBefore(p,f);}(document)); on Elevation Church The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. This British website sets out clearly the Biblical gospel, compared to the ME gospel, in the context of evangelism. The incident referred to was a very serious matter and Christian publications in th USA documented the churchs mishandling of it, which was why I had urged caution. I want you to know that I am not doing this for your sake, declares the Sovereign Lord. [11] From 1966 to 1969, MacArthur was hired as the faculty representative for Talbot Theological Seminary. Your replies to G White were disgraceful and totally unwarranted, particularly in light of the respectful way he/she raised a perfectly justifiable concern. Anyone at least you have persuaded me to read the book I hope it is not a waste of good time! They make their workers and volunteers sign a confidentiality arrangement that they will not disclose anything about the finances of the church, or they will be sued. Thank you for your answer re the mega church your reason for mentioning Dallas Baptist Church favourably is because you know a young man who did some good mission work. He states, "You must receive Jesus Christ for who He is, both Lord and Savior, to be truly saved (2 Peter 2:20). MacArthur told church members ahead of his sermon that many people contracted COVID and it probably went through our church in maybe December or January. The pastor said he and his wife, Patricia, enjoyed our own bout with COVID for about a week and a half.. He has been the pastor-teacher of Grace . Grace Community Church parishioners make their way to Sunday service in Sun Valley on Sept. 13, 2020. 5) Yes the legalism one still stands. And there are some well-liked denominations and networks of churches on Facebook pages too: john macarthur on elevation church. Im afraid I have had more than enough of this kind of depressing legalism and self-righteousness pride(and before you jump in yes I admit I can all too easily be the same).. At the risk of over-blogging (I dont want to be a bore), have you seen this just the introduction. [21][22], MacArthur argues that modern "visions, revelations, voices from heavendreams, speaking in tongues, prophecies, out-of-body experiences, trip to heaven, anointings, miracles all false, all lies, all deceptions attributed falsely to the Holy Spirit." It was neither juicy nor gossip. Your reply was typical of the kind of legalistic posts which I regularly get sent. But like John Flavel I regard as a pretty close second the threat of disunity in the body of Christ not least that caused by those who go around unjustly and wrongly accusing others of false teaching. Someone made a sermon jam of it which I posted on my FB page and all of us, who were not of a charismatic background, really had no idea what he was saying. Im sure with a church of such a size these issues are found amongst some, and appropriate discipline and loving correction are needed. Didnt appreciate the joking about drug use. PPS. Its a sad fact that this nonsense is already here in Scotland supported by the new breed of self appointed apostles and prophets. From a spiritual standpoint its an even bigger (and opposite) no-brainer! I wasnt doing that either which a plain reading of the text will confirm. John MacArthur is the pastor of Grace Community Church in SunValley, California, a neighborhood in Los Angeles. Opinion Page Brooks and David Bumgardner [18] Furthermore, he believes that we are obliged to render full submission to scripture above all else and that "[t]o mishandle the Word of God is to misrepresent the One who wrote it. I did read your comments. Are you happy with its $130 million campus rebuilding campaign? Because he is a pastor? Pastor / Teacher. Pastor John MacArthur preaches at Grace Community Church in Los Angeles. Pastor John MacArthur on Sunday commended GraceLife Church in Alberta, Canada, which is meeting in secret after the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) barricaded their building behind three layers of chain link fence. Each person will answer to God for themselves. John MacArthur is pastor of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California. Also available on most smart TVs and streaming services. Find a Church . [31][32][33], MacArthur believes "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9). 3) Its not Furtick who will save the world from hate, crime, drugs etc. But anyone who writes on my blog and brings such serious accusations is going to have to provide evidence, and you will be challenged. I love the gospel, and I love the Lords people from whatever background, and I want to see Christ glorified throughout the world. Im not rich at all but Im also not jealous of someone who has far more people and more money. This is what I mean by legalism in my original post. If you dont like it, too bad. Jenna Ellis,the churchs attorney,tweeted about the settlement. Can we in the UK stop copying these kind of churches? (By the way I would suggest that you learn what is name is). Terribly, the younger folks dont appear to have the foundation in the word to smell it out. Whether you are a legalist or not I dont know. including starting the Church Growth Movement which gave life to the pragmatism movement which as we know is so ubiquitous. Cho resigned the next day. To reject its claims is to call Him a liar. G White I am really sorry to read your last reply. (At this point I am of course aware of the same danger for myself and it certainly does act as a warning to me! Our statement: pic.twitter.com/Rin5W7eA8x, Jenna Ellis (@JennaEllisEsq) August 31, 2021. Can I assume that you are now withdrawing the remark about Matt Chandler not being a good example of how the gospel should be preached and lived? One of the victims (Eileen Gray) in particular was shamed publically in front of the congregation by MacArthur for divorcing a David Gray who later was convicted of aggravated child molestation, corporal injury to a child, and child abuse. As for your other points, Matt Chandlers church eventually acted only after a number of Christian magazines and websites had highlighted their initial inaction.