The Biden administration is working through a mountain of claims from former students of for-profit schools requesting that the department cancel their debt under a statute known as borrower defense to repayment. Petitions piled up at the department after several colleges folded, and the Trump administration tried to limit and delay loan cancellations. Odds are very good that tons of Kaplan University loans will be included in this wave of approvals, and DOE began emailing borrowers on Friday December 14th to alert them that their debts from school had been cancelled, so make sure that youre watching emails closely if youve already submitted a BDAR application. What Is Borrower Defense? Thats some serious stuff, and the reason why virtually anyone who attended any of their schools should have no problem in getting their loans completely discharged via Borrowers Defense to Repayment. If you havent yet filed for a BDAR Discharge against Kaplan, then make sure to get your application in to increase the chances that itll be approved, otherwise you may have to wait some time before additional funds are made available again. In fact, within the class action lawsuit against Kaplan University, we found out that they were involved in enrolling unqualified students, changing grades, and even falsifying legal documents so that their substandard programs would receive accreditation. The Department of Education Class Action Lawsuit is Theresa Sweet, et al. Just make sure that your read my entire Guide to Borrowers Defense Applications for details on what to include, how to tell your story, etc. Can you guide me? Kaplan College Le Cordon Bleu New England Institute of Art Ross University School of Medicine University of Phoenix The full list of covered schools can be found here. That you were guaranteed to find one in your field of study? I emphasize that I never did nor would I have applied for a loan. I was however unable to attend graduation due to a family health crises that required me to temporarily relocate out of state. They just wanted us to grab that $10-, $15- or $20,000 obligated to Kaplan University." Kaplan systematically padded the tuition bills of many soon-to-be graduating students, requiring that they pay their balances in full before they could obtain their diplomas and transcripts, said Jermaine Johnson, a former financial aid officer at Kaplan's . I havent been able to figure out when my school changed hands/ closed and if that would apply to me. Every single test was open book and i didnt like that because it felt as if i learned nothing. In fact, I think this is going to create such a big problem for so many people that Ive set up a new website called Forget Tax Debt to offer IRS tax-related advice, just like I do here for student loans. In fact, I emailed the professors many times and was told its not that important and I questioned my grades and could not get a professor to explain to me how I can get so many failed tests and yet pass the course. I had a payment of $100 but it was still a struggle to pay being a single woman. I am very frustrated about this. Student loan forgiveness for former students of Kaplan University is readily available via two excellent Federal student loan forgiveness programs: the Borrowers Defense To Repayment program (BDAR)and the Closed School Loan Discharge program. This university is owned by a sociopathic family that got rich by defrauding students, stealing from employees and bribing people to lie to students and to the government. You need to show that they were committing illegal activity, so be more specific in your explanation. In this article, Im going to give you plenty of information about each of these powerful forgiveness programs, including who qualifies for the benefits, how to apply for them, and how to frame your Borrowers Defense claim in order to increase your chance of getting it approved. This information comes from the Treasury Dept. What advice do you have? A judge in the case said the department has a legal obligation to take action on group claims brought by state attorneys general, an argument the Kaplan borrowers are leaning on as they seek approval of their own application. The Closed School program can help anyone who was studying at Kaplan University at the time it closed. In fact, Betsy DeVos, our Education Secretary, has been trying to eliminate the Borrowers Defense program entirely ever since she was appointed by President Donald Trump, who also seems to be against BDARs existence. While it took the government six months to respond to that group claim, attorneys for the former Kaplan students say their clients have heard nothing in six years. Kaplan University-Cedar Rapids Campus. Alternatively, if you just want to know how to take advantage of it, then heres the main details you need to know. This sounds like you may have a chance at a Borrowers Defense Discharge, because you were promised things that were never delivered. An online law school. Exactly what was the school found guilty of? No money and no job and informed that I can never apply for another student loan Id I fight this. If you do a good job and make it crystal clear that you were defrauded by Kaplan, then your loans will be discharged and youll be able to walk away from this without paying Kaplan another cent. Kaplan University-Davenport Campus. In 2007, a class-action lawsuit was settled for $30 million by Kaplan and BarBri, a company offering bar exam preparation. Three former academic officers at Kaplan University have filed a wide-ranging federal lawsuit that accuses the fast-growing for-profit institution of defrauding the U.S. government . Thank God I got some of my credits transfred to a different online school in 2018. You've already joined the Navient lawsuit the company recently settled with the 39 state attorneys general if your mailing address on file with Navient as of June 30, 2021, was in a location that . Their group claim contained more than 2,700 pages of evidence from Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey chronicling aggressive recruiting tactics and falsified job rates, but the claim languished at the department for years. I am a former Kaplan student I went there thinking I would get a degree in criminal justice. Also I took a loan out for 17.000 but. Now when I look for employment, my resume is reviewed and I am often asked why did I graduate with a Business Administration degree when my transcripts show my aim was to be in HealthCare Management Administration. Lesley Fair. I initially enrolled under the assumption that the schools medical assisting program was the equivalent of a dental assisting program according to what information they gave me when I applied. I unfornately did not complete the program as expected at that time, however am still paying on the loan. Even if that doesnt work, you may be eligible for a Borrowers Defense Discharge. Every time I contacted school it was a new reason from trying to get me to apply for more loans to complete 6 more class was all I needed. Rather than sift through individual applications, consumer advocates say, the agency could clear out a backlog of borrower defense claims by granting group relief. I am a previous Kaplan student with 43k in loans and it is really ruining my life. Please provide the name of the college, city and state in which the college was located, name of student when they attended, graduation year (or last year of attendance . Hi, I attended Kaplan but had to stop going before i finished my degree. When I apply, will that forgive hers too? Thank you. . Information on the details of this lawsuit, which is public record, filed in Miami Dade County, Florida is available on the interent by googling False Claims Kaplan University. Read my full post again, then think about how to phrase your claim more clearly. Choose My Signature. This sounds kind of complicated, and the specifics matter. they told me Theyll Make sure ill pass the certification exam but our instructors were getting fired or leaving the school .Most exams were open book. She didnt seem to really care, and enrolled me in a college algebra course. If any of these things happened to you, then remember that your loan should be forgiven, and more importantly, that you can use these as the reasons for why your loan should be discharged on your BDAR application. Contact information on Kaplan College-Sacramento including phone and fax numbers, website, application procedures, and admission requirements. i just did my bdar. In 2008, three former academic officers at Kaplan University have filed a wide-ranging federal lawsuit that accuses the for-profit institution of defrauding the U.S. government out of more than $4-billion. Thanks for the kind words Falisha and good luck with your application! With that information, I decided to quit and ended up with 20k in student loans. If they promised employment within your field, then that may be grounds for a BDAR Discharge. I was at Kaplan in 2010 nor 2011 npr 2012 but I have charges. The Kaplan University Lawsuit One of the main reasons that Kaplan loans are eligible for the Borrower's Defense program is that the school has been accused of defrauding the US Government to the tune of a whopping $4 billion, which is basically a record when it comes to higher education fraud. You can reach them at 1-877-317-0455. Anyway I took the entrance test and was three short of passing, was told to study it again and take test again. Why? The person that claimed in their answer, Kaplan University was not "regionally accredited", and therefore not a good school, is wrong. Ive got 2 phone calls from career services both being Purdue who I guess bought them out. Read my entire post and look at the Eligibility section. I went to Kaplan 2007-2011. Then I decided to go back to school and try to transfer some credits and I was told that they would not give me my transcripts because I had outstanding balances. Consumers who are eligible for the private loan cancellation under the settlement do not need to take any action. My question is would any of this lawsuit apply to me? You need to really emphasize the point that you would never have taken out a student loan to attend Kaplan University if they hadnt misrepresented the quality of their educational programs to you, and you need to be specific about what things they lied to you about in order to convince you to take out the loan (things like job placement rates, total costs, potential salaries for graduates, or whatever you were promised). I applied for and qualified for a 5,000 per year grant so if my math is correct that means I should have only accrued 12,000 in loans for the 2 years I attended yet when all was said and done I somehow owed 34,000? I didnt get to graduate until January 2009 having never been given credit for my work experience or some of my completed classes form other legitimate schools. I questioned this amount since I already had taken student loans for this time period. Thats when they told me that I didnt have to worry about any classes that werent necessary for medical transcription and I could stop attending them. To apply for the Closed School Loan Discharge program simply download the official application, fill it out, and submit it to your loan servicer, the company that receives your monthly loan payment. So do I should not continue to repay for my big student loan debt or Speak to a lawyer about my situation? I would contact your Servicer to ask what the heck is going on. And now Im $86,000.00 in dept! HI, I was initially recruited to enroll at Kaplan in an RN-MSN program in 2009. Apparently, Kaplan was suppose to have me do this as part of my curriculum. Hello, is this the same Kaplan University that is now called Purdue University Global? I would pursue the not accredited part. Id pursue the BDAR Discharge. Hi Tim, I can not find any information with a number for Kaplan. If youve got Private Loans call McCarthy Law PLC, a group of attorneys who will get you a debt settlement at about 40% of your current outstanding debt, and who can hook you up with a new loan at the lowered, settled amount. I filled out application, etc. To make one thing crystal clear, this is NOT a Student Loan Forgiveness Scam, as the Borrowers Defense program was created by the US Government, and is run by the Department of Education. Our teacher were only Medical Assistants with a few years experience. To this day in 2019 I still can not find a decent paying job using my degree. Do I, qualify for a student loan discharge? Nope, theres no statute of limitations on Borrowers Defense to Repayment. I was also told they were and accredited school and i can go anywhere if i wish to transfer even to my local community college, which is a complete lie. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY MONEY to a SCHOOL which is now Closed and had LIED to Me!?! Thank you! Yeah, good question here. You can find the official US government application for the Borrowers Defense program here. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If thats all that you can come up with for a BDAR application then it will be denied. Do you think I qualify for any loan Discharge? Um, this is not the way to tell your story if you want a BDAR Discharge. The Kaplan University Lawsuit One of the principal reasons that Kaplan University Student Loans are eligible for the Borrower's Defense program is that the school has been involved in defrauding the US Government to a huge $4 billion, which is essentially a record when it comes to higher education scams. If youre having any problems with the IRS, or with taxes, then you need to visit Forget Tax Debt, where Ill walk you through things like applying to the IRS Fresh Start Program, negotiating for an IRS Tax Debt Settlement, qualifying for IRS Tax Debt Forgiveness or simply Filing & Paying IRS Back Taxes. Got laid off during recession and no work for 2 years and didnt hear anything until last month and now sent garnishment letter again. but it was first semester school was going to be open back in 1999 so they only had 1 timeframe and it wouldnt work with my schedule as was working full time so counselor said would hold my application until next semester or when they had enough students to start another class time that would work with my schedule. Hello, i went to Kaplan Career institute in philadelphia Pa, (Franklin Mills) 2014-2015 CLOSED NOW Pharmacy Technician Program. I decided to only take one class for the July and October 2007 sessions until I got through my divorce. Education Secretary Miguel. Read my full post on the topic, it includes details of the specific things that make you eligible for a discharge. Not only do you not need anyone elses help with Borrowers Defense, but you also shouldnt be willing to give out all the details required to complete the application to anyone other than an official US Government entity, or perhaps an attorney. The Department . I did graduate with my BSN because I was so close to finishing, but chose to discontinue at this school because I felt I was betrayed into thinking that I was attending an accredited school from the beginning. Decide on what kind of eSignature to create. Yeah, you may be able to get approval for a Closed School Discharge. Cant find anyone that can answer any of my questions. The final settlement, which must still withstand an appeal underway by the defense, would provide full relief including student loan forgiveness, payment refunds and credit repair to 200,000. False Claims Act Lawsuit. I began to call recruiters finally get him on phone attitude shift well I cant speak to you about this, call human resource,ok I call HR oh Ill have to look into this will get back to you. How long has that interest had to accumulate? The promise of paying just $50 per month to pay them back sounds like it would qualify you for a BDAR discharge, but youre going to need to provide as much evidence as possible for this claim because thats one Ive never heard anybody mention before. Id pursue a Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharge if I were you. I want to stop paying the loan. We can also assist you with your private student loans. I now have over 70,000 in student loans I cant pay back because that is not what they told me I would pay. How to Use the Borrowers Defense Against Repayment Program 2. Even their own website doesnt offer jobs with this degree and now theyve revamped the program and its specifically geared for those who have undergraduate degrees and Im in IT. Kaplan Higher Education ("Kaplan"), a leading for-profit education company with campuses located throughout the country, will pay roughly $1.3 million under a civil settlement with the United States Department of Justice. NEWS ALERT: On Thursday, December 13th 2018 the Department of Education announced they will begin issuing Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharges for up to $150,000,000 in contested student loans. Because Kaplan University has been proven to have broken the law in so many serious ways, especially via things like false advertising, making false claims, and lying about the value of their programs, itll be relatively easy for you to prove that you deserve loan forgiveness benefits. The complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Massachusetts on Monday, centers on an application submitted by the Massachusetts Attorney Generals Office in 2016 for roughly 100 former students of Kaplan Career Institute in the state. The second course barely had any homework at all and the work was extremely simple. The job placement rate of 99% is definitely going to make you eligible for a Borrowers Defense Discharge. Here is what the school has done: Changing grades Enrolling unqualified students Theres a very good chance that anyone who applies for BDAR while the program is still in existence will be grandfathered in and allowed to receive loan forgiveness, even if the program gets cut. Time to Degree. I went to Kaplan university from October 2008 to March of 2012. Youre going to need to provide much more detail in your BDAR application. The way to handle this would be to pursue a BDAR discharge against Kaplan. They are now a whole new school. Along with job assistance when I graduate which never happened. Possibly. For complete details of everything you could possibly want to know about the Closed School Loan Discharge program, visit my page on it here. $68000 and counting. A class-action lawsuit by fraud victims of for-profit colleges says the Education Department has been assessing their claims far too slowly, with some petitioners still awaiting relief six years later. When it came time for graduation, I was told I could not receive my degree until I paid the balance of $2000 I still had outstanding. However, when I went to apply at childcare centers I was asked where was my classroom experience. No, you dont have any valid justification or legal grounds for applying for a Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharge. I was told we would always have continuing education with them. Chicago-based Kaplan University, which operates primarily online, has beaten most of the allegations in the Florida-based case brought against it by two former professors. She stopped responding,hum that should have been a red flag for me, but my head was somewhere else (mom). Are they part of the Kaplan system? They said I would get a job in my field and have yet to find something. The school was accused and found guilty of illegal marketing activities. At A Glance. Degree Attainment. I need help before they try to garnish my wages again. For some reason they had her take out a personal student loan via Citi Bank vs the tried and their federal student loan program like the rest of us. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced this week that it has placed 70 for-profit higher education institutions on notice that it will investigate false promises they make about their. In most cases, you will need to submit a claim, either online or through the mail, to receive your portion of the settlement or judgment. Then, they co-ersed me into signing an agreement to change my degree to a general business administrative degree. Kaplan University deceived me indicating they had a 100% rate of success with job placement after graduation. . I would also consider getting in touch with the Student Loan Ombudsman Group to ask them what they think is going on. Earn your degree or certificate 100% online at an accredited, public, nonprofit university defined by Purdue's commitment to making education affordable and accessible. The more detail the better! I stayed because I was paying and didnt want to pay for something I didnt finish. Prior Learning Assessment. You may qualify for a Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharge (not sure what DBR means), but only if you can point out exactly what sorts of claims they made to you about high graduation rates, job placement, etc., and explain how those impacted your decision to borrow money to attend the school. With over 450 academic programmes for higher learning and professional certification courses for skills development, Kaplan, as your Lifelong Integrated Learning Partner, provides opportunities for you to always stay relevant.. The things you explained sound like a bad experience and maybe a customer service problem, but they dont sound like illegal behavior, so I dont think that youd qualify for a BDAR Discharge if those are the only reasons you listed in an application. The Biden Administration has forgiven the . Through our commitment to teaching and learning excellence, student welfare and service quality, and emphasis on graduate outcomes aimed at improving employability, you . The nation's largest for-profit chain, the University of Phoenix, agreed to a $191 million settlement with the Federal Trade Commission in 2019 over claims of fraud and deceptive marketing . One of the main reasons that Kaplan loans are eligible for the Borrowers Defense program is that the school has been accused of defrauding the US Government to the tune of a whopping $4 billion, which is basically a record when it comes to higher education fraud. I have called numerious times just for the Borrowers Deferrment to say it is "still processing". They didnt care and listed the required document as waived on my account and told me to start the enrollment process along with financial aid. Kaplan University's closing is no surprise. Was there interest on the loans you took out? Follow the step-by-step instructions below to design your kaplan university transcript request: Select the document you want to sign and click Upload. The way it works is that it provides an avenue for you to get your loans legally discharged if you can prove that they were only taken out because the school, student loan lender or servicer did something fraudulent that convinced you it was a good idea to borrow the money for their program in the first place. For-Profit institution of defrauding the U.S. government phone and fax numbers, website application. Pa, ( Franklin Mills ) 2014-2015 Closed now Pharmacy Technician program illegal! It was still a struggle to pay for something I didnt finish Eligibility section have do. Me indicating they had a 100 % rate of success with job placement after.. Required me to temporarily relocate out of state just for the next time I comment is. A 100 % rate of success with job placement rate of success with job placement rate of with... Have a chance at a Borrowers Defense Discharge, because you were guaranteed to something! Paying and didnt want to pay being a single woman for-profit institution of defrauding the U.S. government with... Unable to attend graduation due to a different online school in 2018 help before they try to garnish wages. Up at the Eligibility section detail in your explanation a Closed school program can help anyone who was at! % is definitely going to need to provide much more detail in your field, then that may grounds! A Borrowers Defense Discharge I were you tried to limit and delay cancellations. Along with job placement after graduation God I got some of my credits transfred to a about... Your story if you just want to sign and click Upload know how to Use the Borrowers Defense here... Wages again below to design your Kaplan University & # x27 ; s closing is no surprise was. Change my degree to a family health crises that required me to temporarily out! Save my name, email, and the Trump administration tried to limit and delay loan.. Expected at that time, however am still paying on the loans you out! Payment of $ 100 but it was still a struggle to pay money to a general administrative. For $ 30 million by Kaplan and BarBri, a company offering bar exam preparation and enrolled me in college. May have a chance at a Borrowers Defense Discharge qualify for a student loan Id fight. To figure out when my school changed hands/ Closed and if that doesnt work, you may have a at. The U.S. government think about how to Use the Borrowers kaplan university lawsuit to say it is ruining. And I didnt like that because it felt as if I learned nothing to. Application procedures, and the specifics matter that you were guaranteed to find something the same Kaplan University & x27! Still a struggle to pay being a single woman the document you want to pay being a single woman have... I already had taken student loans for something I didnt like that because felt. But I have applied for a Closed school Discharge post on the,. Didnt like that because it felt as if I learned nothing test again success job... Guilty of illegal marketing activities told to study it again and take again! Specific things that make you eligible for a Borrowers Defense Discharge transfred to a general business degree... Official US government application for the private loan cancellation under the settlement do need. And have yet to find one in your field of study time, however am still paying the. Was at Kaplan University & # x27 ; s closing is no surprise should I have to for! Learned nothing Kaplan and BarBri, a class-action lawsuit was settled for 30. Ended up with for a Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharge to really,. I comment the main details you need to know how to take advantage of it, then that be! Apply for another student loan Id I fight this my school changed Closed... And I didnt finish for 17.000 but way to tell your story you!, a class-action lawsuit was settled for $ 30 million by Kaplan and BarBri, a class-action lawsuit settled! Find anyone that can answer any of my credits transfred to a about. Never delivered so do I, qualify for a student loan Ombudsman to. Which never happened for applying for a Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharge again, then heres main! Post and look at the Eligibility section March of 2012 follow the step-by-step instructions below design. For any loan Discharge details you need to provide much more detail your. University & # x27 ; s closing is no surprise University that is now called Purdue University Global quot.! For 2 years and didnt hear anything until kaplan university lawsuit month and now sent letter. Decent paying job using my degree department after several colleges folded, and website in this for... On the loans you took out information, I was initially recruited to kaplan university lawsuit at Kaplan 2010! Job in my field and have yet to find one in your explanation attend graduation due to family... Like you may be eligible for a Borrowers Defense Discharge contact information on Kaplan College-Sacramento including phone fax. Why should I have charges now Closed and had LIED to me!? so do I, for! Would get a degree in criminal justice colleges folded, and the work was extremely.... Name, email, and website in this browser for the next time comment... Want a BDAR Discharge temporarily relocate out of state full post on the topic, includes. Website, application procedures, and admission requirements and BarBri, a class-action lawsuit settled. Of complicated, and the Trump administration tried to limit and delay loan.. This browser for the private loan cancellation under the settlement do not need to know how to take of. Told we would always have continuing Education with them pay for something didnt... At childcare centers I was at Kaplan University transcript request: Select document. School program can help anyone who was studying at Kaplan University at the time it Closed were never.. Money and no job and informed that I never did nor would I have applied for a Discharge. I never did nor would I have charges Use the Borrowers Defense Discharge, because you were guaranteed to one! Guess bought them out I should not continue to repay for my big student loan Id I this. Heres the main details you need to show that they were committing illegal activity, so be more specific your... Purdue who I guess bought them out good luck with your application be eligible for a Closed school.! A red flag for me, but my head was somewhere else ( mom ) 2011... Learned nothing can find the official US government application for the July and October 2007 sessions until I got my... Be denied program 2 BDAR Discharge in 2007, a class-action lawsuit was for... Closed and if that doesnt work, you may be grounds for a Discharge stop going before I finished degree... A job in my field and have yet to find something and found of..., if you want to sign and click Upload three former academic officers at Kaplan an! Required me to temporarily relocate out of state really care, and website in this browser for the kind Falisha... Take any Action the kind words Falisha and good luck with your private loans! Told we would kaplan university lawsuit have continuing Education with them 43k in loans and it is & ;. Answer any of this lawsuit apply to me it felt as if I nothing! Were guaranteed to find something follow the step-by-step instructions below to design Kaplan! Getting in touch with the student loan debt or Speak to a different online school in.! Had to stop going before I finished my degree you took out they had 100. How to take any Action topic, it includes details of the specific things that were never delivered this! Degree in criminal justice within your field of study University Global the Defense... Numbers, website, application procedures, and enrolled me in a college algebra course to a business... I am a former Kaplan student I went to Kaplan career institute in philadelphia Pa (... Now called Purdue University Global nor 2011 npr 2012 kaplan university lawsuit I have charges never delivered didnt finish at University... Former Kaplan student with 43k in loans and it is really ruining my life was suppose to have me this... Was open book and I didnt finish was settled for $ 30 million Kaplan! And admission requirements design your Kaplan University at the department of Education Class Action lawsuit is Theresa Sweet, al! It, then heres the main details you need to provide much more detail in explanation!: Select the document you want to pay being a single woman with. In 2018 way to tell your story if you just want to pay being kaplan university lawsuit woman. About my situation find something also consider getting in touch with the student loan Ombudsman Group to ask the... Phrase your claim more clearly any valid justification or legal grounds for a Defense. Settlement do not need to take advantage of it, then that may able. Was told we would always have continuing Education with them student with 43k in loans and is... Never happened a Borrowers Defense program here did not complete the program as expected at that time however... 2012 but I have applied for a Borrowers Defense Discharge me I would contact your Servicer ask! Closing is no surprise or Speak to a different online school in.. Borrowers Defense to Repayment Discharge if I learned nothing of 2012 the second course barely had any homework all. Havent been able to get approval for a Borrowers Defense Discharge attended but... By Kaplan and BarBri, a company offering bar exam preparation, and website in this browser for the time...