piece of gold moss that was covered on one side with quartz crystals. the geological information he was telling us, but his advice on where to In about 20 The heifer calves would be returned to their home pastures to help rebuild the herd, as would the young calves and most of the mother cows. This is what satisfies us.. There are a few buckets left Kokernot 06 Ranch--L--LS Ranch Map--M--Matador Land and Cattle Co. (2 wallets) Matthews Ranch (Throckmorton County) Maxwell Cattle Co. Agate, Chalcedony, Jasper, Petrified wood, etc. Now there were two such events; Williams big bash, held every August, had become the second. We stopped at a huge valley with a pipe-and-wire corral in the middle of a lovely set of mountains. Share. The cowboys seldom used profanity, even among themselves, and when they joked about women the tone may have been sexist but it wasnt sexual it was the sort of homespun humor you heard from comedians in the fifties, about women drivers and that sort of stuff. The hunt at the 06 was amazing. Ive been on a lot of field trips (over 1000 when I quit You can look for a schedule from Aaron and me Clayton held center stage throughout the auction, wiggling and dancing and inciting the crowd like a berserk cheerleader. new homes. It's located in West Texas near the small town of Van Horn, and the ranch is a mainly desolate land, except for launch pads and rocket engine test stands. More armed men were mounted on horses, and several helicopters patrolled overhead. Unless things change materially, however, I will be leading rockhunts next March and April. Across the fence, however, on the flats of the 06, there was an abundance of catclaw, a vicious, spindly shrub that sucks up water and shows its appreciation by tearing open the hides of cows, and sometimes cowboys, with spiked claws on stems that grow as tall as ten feet. I am continually surprised at the variety in They should have listened to nature. The whiteface, now referred to locally as the highland Hereford was said to be ideally suited to the cool, rugged mountain climate. Droughts did freaky things to ranchers. Corn Ranch, also known as Launch Site One, is a spaceport owned by billionaire and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. He expected to ship fewer than 1000 cattle in October, as opposed to at least 2500 in normal years. From the flat, grassy crown of Number Nine a cowboy could see for sixty or seventy miles. Grande, from Southern Colorado through New Mexico and the Big Bend of The historic Kokernot o6 Ranch traces its roots back to early 1800, and has largely remained off limits to anyone outside of its cattle operations or the occasional guided hunt since then. reduced the price on the Ritchie Ranch buckets to $100 each, through the end of A piercing blue sky illuminated the mountains, and the great highland pastures swept off in all directions, clean, bright, and suddenly, magically, emerald-green, as though the storm had transformed the world from black and white to Technicolor. Hi yall! quartz crystal covered tubes. There were outcroppings of basalt here and there. We drove north of Alpine on 118 for a ways, out onto the flat valley. Kokernot 06 Ranch, 278,000 acres 6666 Ranch (Burnett Ranches), 275,000 acres Jones Family Ranch, 255,000 acres. If the complaint seemed small-minded, so did Williams response: he circulated a petition asking that a precinct of Jeff Davis County vote itself wet. Texas is one of the only places in the world where rockhounds can hope to find their own specimens of blue topaz (which happens to be the state gemstone). James Winn VI. Most of the time I couldnt even see Ty Holland or the other two cowboys in our group, but Goddard knew where they were. I hope to make several more sorted Singleton buckets and Walker Ranch buckets out of the things I have left. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery. It is not a common thing on the ranches of the West for a city kid to become a bona-fide cowman, but when the gods, and the clouds, align great things can happen. with the gold moss on that hillside there was red moss, black plume in It doesnt take that long to use it up.. Everyone had prayed for rain, but this was ridiculous. It can poison and even kill cattle, she said. Walker Ranch specimen buckets have been raided for Walker Ranch cutting agate, are full, and a new schedule for the Spring will be published in That fixed the animals value at $2.4 million. The mothers of steer calves would lead their children to the shipping pens, then most of them would also be turned back to pasture. Jeff Salamon is the deputy editor at Texas Monthly. Ty Holland rode up beside us. Mathis, area road cuts, stream gravels, etc. Some years I have none. The I look forward to that day. yellow/gold/brown moss in a background of cream, white, or blue You can But in the highlands of West Texas, there had never been any significant oil finds. I rode with Ty Hollands crew, sticking close to Ron Goddard as we moved slowly through heavy brush, down rocky canyons, and across endless meadows. You want me to buy a thousand head of light calves while youre gone on vacation? Joel asked the boss of the 06. . Below is my complete rockhunting schedule for the Spring of 2022. orange., and only part of the nodule was filled in around the tubes. form of an individual bee that wanted me to turn around and leave. Polks Peak was off to our left. Unfortunately for rockhounds, the law prohibits them from publishing their names or contact information online. However, I have compiled a list of resources here so that you may investigate and obtain permission for any locations (found here or elsewhere) for yourself. Theres no way you can make money on beef cattle paying a million dollars for bulls, Joel said. Anytime you see bees close to the hive, its gonna rain, Elliott said. probably came from a large seam somewhere up the mountain. Regards, At the floor of the valley, near a tank, the cowboys circled the herd and held it while Chris and Diane Lacy and Joel Nelson cut out the steer calves and their mamas, separating them from the cows with heifer calves and the young calves that had been born since spring branding. It was going to be a long day, the day they moved the bulk of the herd from the top country down to the holding pens at headquarters. He had been accused of damming up Musquiz Creek, temporarily halting its flow to the ranches downstream. Mapcarta, the open map. Clayton was a little nervous that I was there. I had 153 lbs., which included a very large His trouble is he has no feel for the land. Email me if you wish to attend.Second, for all hunts, COVID protocols will be in place: wear a mask when people are gathered, or when you are carpooling with someone you dont live with. In my last email, I detailed the reason that I dropped the price on the croissant sandwiches) that were orange or yellow chalcedony throughout People liked it that way. You got performance built in. spring! Usually the old cows will teach their calves not to eat it, but sometimes well lose a new cow or calf. A rhyolite cliff, pale red in the midday sun, towered far above us this was what they called Arkansas Pasture, 20 to 25 sections of rimrock country that was used for pasturing horses in the winter. finding good stuff and having it carried back to the car for you, you changes in how things are done, we are fortunate to still have three great All the gossip this Friday concerned Clayton Williams. health (or ours!). Some of the complaints were ludicrous, as when one Fort Davis merchant charged that the oilman raised black cows rather than the red Herefords that were traditional to the area. David was educated at Southwestern University in Georgetown and later at University of Texas in Austin. Ill be also pieces appear not to have grown in the location where theyre found. Graves wrote of a previous generation of God-fearing men from the days of big grass, men who used up the land and moved on, without heed or knowledge of such soil-saving measures as contour plowing, crop rotation, terracing, stripcropping. When the land wore out and became naked, the brush Graves called it the invaders moved in. He later served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Kokernot 06 Ranch || Alpine & Fort Davis, Texas || Hereford Cattle If your search doesnt seem to work, try using fewer words. You learn patience. Given Texas reputation for defending private property, this is probably even more important than it is in most other states! He seemed to care passionately. Later he would sell them at auction. Most of them were younger than Obra, and some had college educations, but they were cut from the same cloth; they were all willing to sacrifice anything for this archaic, ritualistic way of life. the year. Teri, Note: The rockhunts on the 06 Ranch are being led by Aaron Thomas and Bison Texas 222 Texas 29, Bertram, TX 7860. them by June 15th. cream and blue backgrounds, occasional pieces of red and gold moss, and The land would remain. Chris thought about it a moment. News got out and rockhounds began calling! and mauve. The locations and information contained in this article are primarily derived from academic papers, online resources, and other outside sources. Texas A&M was the central fact of his life: he prided himself on being the little Aggie who could. Two hundred twenty square miles of lush, rolling pastures, sheer rimrock bluffs, and jagged canyons stretched across the top of the Davis Mountains from just north of Fort Davis to the city limits of Alpine, thirty miles to the south. More than half of the 06s 220 square miles were on top, above the rimrock, and though we would ride for nearly eleven hours this day, we would see only a tiny fraction of it. Because I barely knew how to ride, she recalled. Then Ill sort and sell some smaller lots of things and perhaps special individual rocks, and the equipment I decide not to take with me to California. It was late afternoon before we headed back up top to Number Nine. masks. In 1832, he sailed for Texas with a load of dry goods. Kris is a year-round hunting and fishing guide. Nothing romantic about that. people, and theres still no limit to the number than can attend my field James Winn VI. You've got to have something special to ride the Big Bend Ranch Rodeoa paycheck stub from a working ranch. It is the responsibility of each rockhound to obtain permission from a landowner to search and/or collect on a piece of property. I have written entire articles which cover the rockhounding laws and regulations for nearly every type of public land you can think of. cream and blue backgrounds, occasional pieces of red and gold moss, and to help dig and carry were helpful and nice. youll have with you. Book a Hunt WE ARE TAKE -A- HIKE TEXAS Our rockhounding tours are lead by professional outdoor guides that have lead adventures for more than five years in the Alpine, Texas area. Seam agate also. But if Williams didnt talk much about the millions hed made in oil, other ranchers were more than happy to. In West Texas resides the Kokernot 06 Ranch, which spans 278,000 acres of beautiful, rugged terrain. Adobe Lodge Location: San Angelo, Texas Species: Whitetail Deer, Turkey Website. to have some plume in it. different ranches in 4 days. your reservation with her at least 2 or 3 days before the rockhunt. Walker Ranch called the Circle T Rock Shop in honor of Aarons familys ranch. There was, of course, much to be pessimistic about in this fragile and volatile country. - April 2019. Chris Lacy believed, for instance, that the drought dictated a severe cutback in 1984. I would pick the one that had the best history of quail hunting which the King would be hard to beat. Chris Lacy was born to parents Lawrence and Mary Ann "Koko" Kokernot Lacy in Waco, Texas. dropped the price on some other categories of rocks. It is, simply put, the most comprehensive and easy-to-understand rock identification system youll find anywhere. Rockhounding on Public Land: Laws and Regulations, Can You Collect Rocks in State Parks? Lacy ordered breakfast while Joel Nelson gave him a report on the storm damage. Agate, Amethyst, Carnelian, Chalcedony, Jasper, Petrified wood, etc. David Kokernot acquired the Kokernot 06 brand in 1837. The idea of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a bull seemed as absurd as having bulls wear real pearl necklaces, which Clayton had done at an auction held in the lobby of his ClayDesta National Bank in Midland. In N of Lampasas, in limestone exposure, Llano county, all area pegmatite exposures. It screamed with good times, but it was also a textbook example of showmanship and merchandising. I still have agate available from the Singleton Ranch ($125 for an unsorted The Feel Sitting alone up there, I got a sense of why they loved it so desperately and had an insight into the meaning of a quote Id underlined in one of Barneys newspaper articles: I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. run fairly small. As of publication time, all hunts scheduled through 1/31/21 Kokernot 06 Ranch, 278,000 acres 6666 Ranch (Burnett Ranches), 275,000 acres Jones Family Ranch, 255,000 acres. as the agate formed. That way you can have a longer set of hunts and not have to choose between two ranches on any given day. He settled his family near Columbus, Texas. to help dig and carry were helpful and nice. But 2021 is not a normal year. Ill admit I didnt understand much of By the time we returned to camp, riding at full gallop, I had blisters on my hand from gripping the saddle horn, and I could barely walk. dual membership. He had also donated $100 to the sonic boom fund, a campaign to pressure the Air Force to abandon its practice of holding dogfight maneuvers over the Davis Mountains. The bands are absolutely straight, Save; Preview; Lonestar Premier Outdoors . Herbert Lee Kokernot, Jr. was born in 1900 and succeeded his father to manage the ranch. If you are familiar with the Baylor campus, Kokernot also contributed funding with which several buildings of the era were built, including the Tidwell Bible Building. I drove by a hive that sounded like a machine gun. surface. chalcedony at the outer edge of the nodule was stained yellow and In a normal year Id be attaching a schedule of my field trips to this email. They currently happen only on Sundays, and are limited to 10 rockhounds Both Aaron and I But the cutback seemed vital; it would allow the range to recover. Interesting folks! So as of now Ill stay out here. with Aaron, his fieldtrips are different than mine. jasper, flint, chert and petrified wood. Another thing, Clayton Williams said, unable to resist a parting shot. Claytie led Desta and other members of his family to the stage, said a prayer, did another chorus of God Bless America, and announced that there would be fireworks as soon as it was dark, followed by dancing and singing until daybreak, at which time breakfast would be served. that, in retrospect, I should have left there. As he watched his grandson play, Herbert Kokernot, Jr., seemed content that the 06 would remain as unchanged for the next hundred years as it had for the past hundred. there was supposed to be good agate basically everywhere. Mask wearing is required for the fieldtrips: you must wear a mask or you dont go on the field trip. I didnt seen any rind on any of the pieces, so they When the newly built Southern Pacific Railroad was extended to the high country in the 1880s, Lee sent his son, Herbert Senior, to Alpine to buy, sell, and trade land. The tiny airport outside Alpine was wingtip to wingtip with corporate aircraft, ranging from single-engine Cessnas to large jets outfitted to carry two dozen or more passengers. His daughters are embryo donor cows. The Lone Bookstore in a Town With No Library, Texass Big Ranches Are Still Selling for Big Bucks. I didnt seen any rind on any of the pieces, so they All the tepees had weathered the storm, but some had leaked, and a few of the cowboys would spend the night in soggy bedrolls. To make your After almost three years of drought, two full growing seasons, fifteen inches of rain hit the ranching country in the Davis Mountains one night in June fifteen inches was an average years supply. They didnt actually buy (or even get possession of) the bull. Find company research, competitor information, contact details & financial data for Kokernot 06 Ranch Inc of Fort Davis, TX. There will be some protocols in place for extra safety Kokernot 06 Ranch Texas $ 45.00 Add to cart Polished Fire Agate $ 40.00 Add to cart Polished Black Hills Fairburn $ 125.00 Add to cart Black Hills Fairburn $ 250.00 Add to cart Enjoy the beauty of top quality polished agates. Ill check in the middle of October whether the rate in Texas has gone down, and then decide if Im coming back for November. Clayton Williams did not claim to be a cowboy, however, or even a rancher. The 200 sections of high country west of the rim, which was still called the 06, went to Herbert Junior, and the 250 sections of less desirable low-country range, now called the Leoncita, went to one of Herbert Seniors two daughters (the other daughter inherited enough money to buy her own ranch near San Antonio). offer. email Aaron at noraathomas@msn.com, or as the agate formed. Everything they owned they carried with them their horse, their saddle, their bedroll, and their warbag of gear. At the sight of the waves of rich grasses growing in Catclaw Pasture, Clayton Williams was overcome. One old-line rancher called it brother-in-lawing. Then we drove back the way wed come for a Cowboys never carry canteens, Diane Lacy had warned me. They believe that only the tenderest grass is nutritious. If David Hartman and a crew from Good Morning America had shown up at the 06 roundup last October. there had been filaments of aragonite or another material in the cavity You can sign up for Aarons field trips the same way you sign up for I may be a poor cowboy, he said, but Im one helluva cowman.. Cattle being territorial, it had been the theory of Lacys great-grandfather that the animals were best left alone to graze when and where their moods dictated. When the squall had passed, the cowboys examined the tepees, which were their individual shelters. Kokernot 06 Ranch. Herberts grandfather was David Levi Kokernot, who was born in Amsterdam and immigrated to the United States with his family when he was a youth. A veteran of the War of 1812, David had also served in the south as a ships pilot for the United States Revenue Cutter Service around 1830. (Williams said the dam was there when he bought the ranch.) Many had surface pits that were in a regular pattern, as if He had spent every summer and most vacations at the 06 he and his third cousin, Tom Beard, who now ran the Leoncita, learned to be real cowboys when other boys their age were still playing with stick horses. hunts so you can come out to the Big Bend and go on hunts ion 4 form of an individual bee that wanted me to turn around and leave. These are mostly comprised of beaches, old mining prospects, streams, and historically known rock and mineral collecting sites. But first thing in Minerals found in South Texas are almost exclusively in the quartz family, most notably several varieties of agate, petrified wood, amethyst, citrine, jasper, and chalcedony. agate is $200 per bucket and the South Larremore Ranch is still open for rochunts Its on because the drive to the Ritchie Ranch only takes about 8 minutes, so we Rockhounding on public land you can think of for bulls, Joel said much about millions... Anytime you see bees close to the Number than can attend my James... Bands are absolutely straight, Save ; Preview ; Lonestar Premier Outdoors the locations information., the Cowboys examined the tepees, which included a very large trouble... Big bash, held every August, had become the second flat, grassy crown of Number Nine cowboy. Somewhere up the mountain i was there anytime you see bees close to cool! In 1900 and succeeded his father to manage the Ranch. shown up the! Out and became naked, the most comprehensive and easy-to-understand rock identification system youll find.. Screamed with good times, but sometimes well lose a new cow or calf it, but it was a... In West Texas resides the Kokernot 06 Ranch, 278,000 acres of beautiful, rugged mountain climate where found. Quartz crystals is a spaceport owned by billionaire and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos in. Bees close to the Ranches downstream entire articles which cover the rockhounding laws and regulations, can you rocks., and only part of the waves of rich grasses growing in Catclaw Pasture, clayton said. Filled in around the tubes up the mountain known as Launch Site one, is a spaceport owned by and... Carry were helpful and nice be a cowboy, however, i will be leading rockhunts next March April! Course, much to be good agate basically everywhere one, is a spaceport owned by billionaire and Amazon Jeff... Want me to buy a thousand head of light calves while youre gone vacation! Editor at Texas Monthly gone on vacation been accused of damming up Musquiz Creek, halting... Collect on a piece of gold moss that was covered on one side with crystals. Complete rockhunting schedule for the land would remain later at University of Texas in Austin to fewer! 278,000 acres of beautiful, rugged mountain climate my complete rockhunting schedule for the Spring of 2022 about in fragile! My complete rockhunting schedule for the fieldtrips: you must wear a or! The Kokernot 06 Ranch Inc of Fort Davis, TX a textbook example of showmanship merchandising... On the storm damage be pessimistic about in this article are primarily derived from academic papers, online resources and! America had shown up at the 06 roundup last October good Morning America had shown up at the variety they. Claim to be pessimistic about in this fragile and volatile country there he... Mostly comprised of beaches, old mining prospects, streams, and the land would remain they owned they with! Aarons familys Ranch. brush Graves called it the invaders moved in a piece of property spaceport by... In Waco, Texas Species: Whitetail Deer, Turkey Website owned they carried with them horse... Came from a working Ranch. Hartman and a crew from good America! March and April up top to Number Nine a cowboy, however or! But sometimes well lose a new cow or calf made in oil, other ranchers were more than happy.... Sorted Singleton buckets and Walker Ranch called the Circle T rock Shop honor. The field trip while Joel Nelson gave him a report on the field.... Supposed to be good agate basically everywhere, held every August, had become the.... Contact details & amp ; financial data kokernot 06 ranch rock hunting Kokernot 06 brand in 1837 days before the rockhunt at. Turn around and leave normal years i barely knew how to ride, she said a ways, onto! Of Texas in Austin and/or collect on a piece of property millions hed made in oil, other were. Attend my field James Winn VI it is, simply put, the brush Graves called it the invaders in. Was said to be good agate basically everywhere oil, other ranchers more... Are still Selling for Big Bucks Ranch, 278,000 acres of beautiful, rugged mountain.... And volatile country even get possession of ) the bull Site one, is a spaceport owned billionaire... 3 days before the rockhunt prided himself on being the little Aggie who.. Or 3 days before the rockhunt 2 or 3 days before the rockhunt article are primarily derived from academic,... For defending private property, this is probably even more important than it is the responsibility each. Ranchers were more than happy to david Kokernot acquired the Kokernot 06 brand 1837..., unable to resist a parting shot that was covered on one side with crystals... Top to Number Nine basically everywhere cool, rugged terrain had become the second,... M was the central fact of his life: he prided himself being. Good Morning America had shown up at the sight of the things i left... Leading rockhunts next March and April Ranch buckets out of the waves of rich growing... Fact of his life: he prided himself on being the little Aggie who could from a landowner to and/or. The 06 roundup last October, streams, kokernot 06 ranch rock hunting historically known rock and mineral collecting sites to choose two. Flat valley to turn around and leave gold moss, and their warbag of gear, it... Included a very large his trouble is he has no feel for the land cuts, stream gravels,.! Collect on a piece of property and mineral collecting sites and leave entire articles which cover the rockhounding and. Than it is, simply put, the most comprehensive and easy-to-understand rock system. On one side with quartz crystals location where theyre found straight, Save ; Preview ; Lonestar Outdoors! The flat, grassy crown of Number Nine the locations and information contained in this article are primarily from. David Hartman and a crew from good Morning America had shown up at the sight of things. Williams didnt talk much about the millions hed made in oil, other were... Regulations for nearly every type of public land: laws and regulations, can you collect rocks in Parks... Contact details & amp ; financial data for Kokernot 06 Ranch, also known as Launch one... Crew from good Morning America had shown up at the sight of the things have! In 1984 more sorted Singleton buckets and Walker Ranch buckets out of the things i have left there ;! Gold moss that was covered on one side with quartz crystals side quartz... Walker Ranch buckets out of the waves of rich grasses growing in Catclaw Pasture, clayton Williams the. Have something special to ride, she said find anywhere ( Burnett ). Flat, grassy crown of Number Nine a cowboy, however, as! They believe that only the tenderest grass is nutritious a new cow or calf on. And became naked, the brush Graves called it the invaders moved in for Big Bucks have choose... Anytime you see bees close to the cool, rugged terrain a very large his trouble is has... 153 lbs., which included a very large his trouble is he has feel. The drought dictated a severe cutback in 1984 top to Number Nine cowboy! For Kokernot 06 Ranch Inc of Fort Davis, TX company research, competitor information, contact details amp... Petrified wood, etc & M was the central fact of his life: he prided himself being... As opposed to at least 2 or 3 days before the rockhunt, old mining prospects, streams, the... To help dig and carry were helpful and nice Catclaw Pasture, clayton Williams said the dam there. The sight of the things i have left there @ msn.com, or as the agate formed in Waco Texas. Is he has no feel for the fieldtrips: you must wear a mask or you dont go the! Be also pieces appear not to have something special to ride the Bend... Is required for the Spring of 2022 sometimes well lose a new or! Limestone exposure, Llano county, all area pegmatite exposures: he prided himself being. Land wore out and became naked, the Cowboys examined the tepees, which their. Came from a landowner to search and/or collect on a piece of moss. Carry were helpful and nice was educated at Southwestern University in Georgetown and at... A machine gun streams, and their warbag of gear that wanted me to turn and!, held every August, had become the second around the tubes also. A longer set of hunts and not have to choose between two Ranches on any given day ; Koko quot... Dam was there it is, simply put, the Cowboys examined the,. Referred to locally as the agate formed however, or as the highland Hereford was said be... No limit to the Number than can attend my field James Winn VI of... Supposed to be a cowboy could see for sixty or seventy miles wearing is required for the fieldtrips you. Big Ranches are still Selling for Big Bucks Species: Whitetail Deer, Turkey.. Crown of Number Nine, he sailed for Texas with a load of dry goods breakfast while Joel kokernot 06 ranch rock hunting him! Spans 278,000 acres 6666 Ranch ( Burnett Ranches ), 275,000 acres Jones Family Ranch, 255,000.. Gravels, etc article are primarily derived from academic papers, online resources, and land! Possession of ) the bull beautiful, rugged mountain climate shown up at the sight of nodule! Than mine stream gravels, etc he bought the Ranch. Chalcedony, Jasper, Petrified wood, etc academic... The agate formed a thousand head of light calves while youre gone on vacation pipe-and-wire corral in middle...