Snipers in the field (Europe) were prove to take a Bren length webbing sling and leave the 1907 Leather behind. On the right the "England" stamp was a required format for origin to be imported into the US after @1965 and is clearly stamped through all of the finish layers. Qty 1 Upon firing the wood instantly fractured and burns resulted, and although serious injury was possible, the owner was lucky this time. According to Jordanian collector/ researcher Ahmad Hatamleh, Jordan and Iraq were the two countries in the Levant where the British helped establish their national armies. For more than two centuries, Westley Richards has produced some of the worlds finest firearms, each wearing a timeless and classic look with bespoke flourishes. xref Length: approximately 44 inches, Barrel Length: approximately 25 inches. SPONSORED. I and some Prince-Smith examples exhibiting rough tool marks. The Lee-Enfield series of rifles is one of the most successful bolt-action rifles of all time. The maker is unknown, but is believed to be Belgian. The Belgians received Lee-Enfield No. Bayonet The left side receiver wall has the "angled transition" (just below the ejector screw) which is a Savage (rather than British-made) feature, so its one or the other of the New World manufacturers, but I don't know if Long Brach also did the same thing? It retains the 10 round box detachable magazine, however the largest change to the rifle was the addition of a rear aperture sight. The M47C is typical, as is the date and TR mark. 210.00. Feedback from the initial service performance at the front (often from prior experienced target shooters) indicated that longer slings with a central mount at the front of the magazine would be preferred. However, this has not been substantiated. RV# 11322, Socket: "No 4 Mk II" over a superimposed "LB". Savage marked their bayonets with the letter "S". 2 mm. The butt stock itself is a n early war Sykes Limited Normal length piece - much like the original it replaced. They are tight barrels. The serial number is DA22567A, above the serial number it says NO.4 MK1 F (FTR) that is all the markings I can really see on the gun and I was wondering what year the rifle was made, the model it is, & how much it is . Nice rifle regardless That was my original though, I know I wont get a 100g% sure answer I'm just looking for most likely. This one was no different. The Original Condition rifles are in good turn in condition. When these rifles were refurbished in the factory, they were given a second black oxidizing or they were painted with a matte or semigloss black paint in the spots where the original finish had worn off. 4 Mk1 (T) sniper . During refurbishment the bulk of German markings were scrubbed (although some waffenampts are still present and evidence of markings being removed is clear), further the original . I'll shoot some pictures of mine this weekend if you want. One of the recent Pakistani surplus releases featured a range of No4T and their replacement parts - now circulating in European, Australian and USA markets. Very good 5 groove barrel. Description: Bayonet Other Components - By studying the few untouched (scopeless) No4Ts we can see which other No4T components came from other supplies to the BSA factory from 1941 to 1945. <]>> No4 Mk1 - DP - A safety lesson 2012: A DP marked rifle fired without first being completely dismantled or inspected after purchase by a new owner. Type: British infantry rifle. Note that not all FTR rifle were converted. 4 MK. 4) Several arrow looking things located all over the rifle Prior to their creation a variety of WWI sniper rifles were in use. 4Mk. N30 (pictured at left) Fazakerley also continued to produce the rifle for foreign contracts after the war. I scabbard in web belt frogs made for use with the Pattern 1907 bayonet. 4 (T) Sniper Rifle, All About The Wofford College Rifle Team | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, 7 Tactical Lever-Action Rifles Available In 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New: American Tactical Black Creek Labs MRX Bronco Rifle | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Remington Returns: The Revival Of An Ammunition Giant, Westley Richards: Bespoke Craftsmanship With Timeless Appeal, Henry Supports Fallen Firefighters Foundation, Favorite Firearms: A Reminder Of Dad | Mossberg 26B, The Keefe Report: True Velocity's Leap | An Official Journal Of The NRA, The Keefe Report: On The Range With An American Hero | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Trust But Verify: Function-Checking Your Guns | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Reading A Rifle: The Story Of One Mosin-Nagant | An Official Journal Of The NRA, WATCH: 2022 National Sporting Clays Championship | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, WATCH: Colt Python Revolver History | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, I Have This Old Gun: Maynard Carbine | An Official Journal Of The NRA, I Have This Old Gun: Winchester Model 12 Riot Gun | An Official Journal Of The NRA, I Have This Old Gun: Remington Model 51 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Armed Citizen protected by Smith & Wesson, The Armed Citizen Feb. 24, 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, BEAR Arms: Making The Switch From Gun Owner to Armed Citizen | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Women | The Armed Citizen February 17, 2023, NRA Women | The Armed Citizen February 10, 2023, Recipe: Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Pheasant | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum | Freedom Hunters: Giving Back to Americas Veterans through Hunting and the Great Outdoors, Beretta's U22 Neos: A Legacy Gun Not Forgotten | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum | Get Tickets for the NRA Shows Annual Celebration of Hunting, April 13, Hardware: SIG Sauer P320-XTEN | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Rifleman Review: Smith & Wesson M&P12 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Review: Ruger 10/22 Compact | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Rifleman Review: Taurus G3X | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Video Review: Springfield Armory XD-M Elite 4.5 OSP in 10mm Auto | NRA Family, Springfield Armory XD-M Elite 4.5 OSP In 10 mm Auto, Video Review: KelTec P15 Semi-Auto Pistol | NRA Family, Video Review: Savage Stance Pistol | NRA Family, Preview: Leupold 2-10X 30 mm Mark 5HD Riflescope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Women | New for 2022: 20-Gauge Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus, Preview: Springfield Armory 1911 DS Double-Stack 9 mm Pistol Lineup | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. No5 rifles (Jungle Carbines) serial numbers consisted of a sequential 4 digit number starting with 0001 running through to 9999, the numbers were preceded by a letter prefix. The tooling is rough, the bayonet is little more than a . The No. Occasionally, viewer's (inspector's) marks are found on No. 3 MK. 4 Mk. i would guess longbranch with savage magazine box and some brit parts thrown in for good measure , it does not seem at all unreasonable for the indian FR and yes the indians did no favors for collectors but there is no question who did the deed. Manufacturers will be noted either on the left side of the receiver or on the left side buttsocket. 4 MK 1 and retained its original chambering in .303 British. Springfield Model 1795 Type IV Musket with State of New York Markings, US$1,600. (pictured at left) Howard & Bullough marked their bayonets three different ways: Lewisham Engineering, at 9 & 11 Malyons Road, Ladywell, London, was the smallest maker of the No. The bayonet exhibits better finishing than most British No. Mar 09 Bodnar's Auction Sales. 196,200 were produced, all by Joseph Lucas Ltd., Chester Street, Birmingham. Vanden Plas (Eng) 1923 Ltd. of Kingsbury Rd., London produced approximately 950,000 Mk. This updated and expanded edition also has a ready model identification chapter and colour plates. II* socket bayonet was used in Iraq during the Second World War and by the Iraqi Army after the end of British occupation in 1947. Any stock of the P14 cheek pieces would have been transferred to the 4T program - first built by Enfield Lock and then by Hollands - it is not clear when these transitioned to new made cheek pieces. That`s a No4 Mk1* made by Savage for England in the days of WW 2. 5 carbines have ONLY four digit serial numbers. On the right the M47C, date and TR are as they should be - all else is modified, retouched or swapped out 4 rifles and bayonets after Belgium was liberated in September 1944. The following makers' codes are noted on some bayonet blades and scabbards, it is quite possible that they may also appear on firearms and related components. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice! Little is known of their manufacture and use. This example has a much finer finish on the socket than other No. 5,949. Accuracy: * * * * * This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by the Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Christian Ankerstjernes Panzerworld and Christoph Awender's WW2 day by day. [QUOTE=Twodogs]My Long Branch No4 Mk1* has the "angled Transition". The Belgian Army transitioned to the FN Model 1949 rifle beginning in 1951. An additional 1944 Wrist / Action stamping group - an excellent condition example. UKSkennerton's Arms and Militaria Press. Although troops often resorted to more expedient means of modifying frogs to retain No. Here is a Hoyt marked MT&B Co made USA 1907 leather sling produced in 1918 which are thought to have made up the contingent of these WW1 supply / shipments. Some SMLEs may be found with as little as a 3 digit number and high as a 5 digit number. 4 mm. Essentially both types of sling present 3 loops, to form a better control on the stance with the firearm to hold and return to a sighting zero (natural point of aim) - I have personally experienced this in CMP competitions, where sling use during rapid fire is essential. 4Mk. startxref 4 Mk. 4 mm. by Steve Hoog 23 Mar 2012, 02:44, Post 1 various markings. 0000001426 00000 n After wrapping the point, this bayonet would have been oiled and sealed in clear plastic. The Savage-Stevens plant in Chicopee Falls was where New England Westinghouse produced Mosin-Nagant M1891 rifles in 19151917 under contract to the Imperial Russian government. A listing of British and Commonwealth bayonet markings is available on Bryan Browns Old Military Markings Web site. 1 Mk3 mark III SMLE No4 Mk1 1917 British Parts Lot S at the best online prices at eBay! While the Winchester made P14s were recognized as designated man / sniper rifles and developed the remainder, included the 1907 leather slings were relegated to storage and second tier supplies / arms / materials. "S" inside a square The factory eventually went on to produce cylinder heads for Davey-Paxman landing craft engines. No. Pakistan and India added the "Ishapore" screw to reinforce the front wood forward of the knox (more likely job creation for armourers). by verdenpark 30 Mar 2012, 08:34, Post You're probably going to have to "infer" its origins from things like proof marks. Dispersal Codes begin with a letter denoting the general location (N=north, M=middle, and S= south), followed by up to three digits. You must log in or register to reply here. Among the markings on the No. II bayonet re-packaged in 1963 cardboard carton. 1 Mk. 4Mk. Commercially, in the United States, these rifles have not been widely available for some time, although nice unsporterized examples can still be found. The sling worked well enough in dry / sunny climates like Africa and Italy, but in the UK training camps and northern Europe they were found to be "slippy" to use and needing lots of preservative (Dubbin) to survive the wet conditions. 4 bayonet. The No. I will have to check through Skennerton tonight. According to Skennerton, these scabbards were most likely made in North America, either the USA or Canada. 4 Mk. Along with parts replacement and service programs. The Lee Enfield Rifle the conversion of the older out dated Lee. 4 Mk 1 was made only in America and Canada and featured an additional simplification omitting two parts and some machining operations that allowed the bolt to be removed from the receiver by aligning the bolt head perfectly with a gap in its guide slot along the side of the receiver. Rifles are in good to very good original condition and ready to fire. II* over BEC N96, inside an oval (pictured at left). The factory was built by working around the clock during 1942 and was provided with capstans, drilling and milling machines, centre lathes, a steel-hardening and processing plant, and a centre-less grinding machine. Unlike other makers of No. 1 scabbards. Rear micrometer sight. wide at the extremes. LEE ENFIELD NO. The Lee-Enfield bolt-action, magazine-fed, repeating rifle was the main firearm used by the military forces of the British Empire and Commonwealth during the first half of the 19th century. Maryland Shooters is the most active and largest Maryland gun community online. The rear sights were also switched out for Singer Machine marked and made parts (interestingly not marked S67 yet even this late in production and supply). Parker Hale PH5DC Lee Enfield No4 rear sight and PH 'FS2A' foresight. This rifle retained most of the overall design feature of the earlier model, including the 30 barrel length. !o, I am hoping to get some help confirming or disproving my theory about this 1963 Indian furbished Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* I bought a few days ago. In the case of Savage Stevens the serial numbers began with a 0C1 and for Long Branch 0L1, these serials progressed in sequence directly relating the serial number to the number of rifles produced. Places that will have the serial information is on the bolt, receiver and normally the barrel. Longbranch No. $40.59. They may or may not have the serial stamped into the front part of the fore-end and in the case of the Australian Lithgows it may be stamped into the butt as well. We specialize in all military surplus weapons from AK-47s, AR-15s, Mausers, CETME, Enfields, UZIs, and much more! 2" over "Bg" over Crown-JF proofmark over "5171". Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Exploded View: Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield, Mk III, 'A Grisly Business:' Australias Lee-Enfield Sniper Rifle, Reviving An Enfield: RTIs Imported No. The longer bolt heads are worth significantly more than the shorter ones and are considerably harder to find. There are almost 2 years of rifle production that did not receive this triangular sling swivel at the factory and would have it added in service - especially prolonged Cold War British service - it is still possible to encounter a rifle that was an early discharge / loss that never received the triangular swivel update. 0000004628 00000 n S51 was already the war time production code for Holland and Holland - there were to make components under this code as well as convert No4 rifles tot he new T specification beginning in early 1942. Since the overall length is 46", it will fit many other rifles. In the British war time contract scheme there were 2 phases of demarcation - early / pre-war marks, and later regionalized contractor codes, For mid 1943 and down you are seeking the early war markings from Singer (SM), after that seek the regional producer code (S69 - for Southern region, 69th contractor). 5 mm. Because of its great simplicity, the government was able to let contracts to firms not previously associated with arms production. Be sure to check out our gun classifieds where you can buy, sell or trade your gear. Thank you for the welcome. BRITISH or CANADIAN WWII ENFIELD SLING or BREN used cond. 4 Mk. II was otherwise identical to the Mk. The rod of this example is marked S7, indicating manufacture by subcontractor Auto Engineering Ltd. of Croydon. II* (pronounced: number four, mark two, star) was a further simplified version, with the socket and blade two separate forgings. VIEWS. Hollands would mark all rifles that they converted, not spare parts. When the number sequence reached 9999 the next letter assigned to the factory would be substituted in place of the former. With the exception of Russia, socket bayonets had long gone out of fashion in modern armies. be forewarned, Spike Fever is contagious! This No. Bryan Browns Old Military Markings Web site. P.S.S. Two Swiss codes are noted. II* bayonets from 19421945. A few were parkerized at the Long Branch factory later in the war, but these examples are few and far between. (125mm.) 4 Mk. Many of these countries had No4Ts as well. 1, Mk III, I Have This Old Gun: British Lee-Enfield No. The company was established on the bombed out site of the South East London Indoor Sports Club (destroyed in the blitz bombings of 194041), solely to make bayonets. This Mossberg 26B bolt-action rifle in .22 caliber belonged to my dad, Robert Elmo Babington. 4 rifles were imported to the USA from Turkey in the mid-2000s. For the rifles produced in North America, American black walnut was consistently used, with birch used as a substitute when walnut was not available. 4 bayonets. British "Enfield" rifles are some of the most iconic small arms in the world. According to Skennerton, 25,000 experimental MkII scabbards were manufactured by the Franco-British Electrical Company, Tempel Park, Hurley. The No. JavaScript is disabled. long by 1.75in. Cure Date: A sniper? Surplus Lee-Enfield spike bayonet with scabbard/sheath. Yet again, once the sequence of numbers caped out letter prefixes were used to start the sequence over. I with the broad-lipped steel mouthpiece. 0000001570 00000 n 4Mk. The box label indicates that these were packed November 1963, at the 5th Storage Depot. I've seen guys actually twist the action because they are so tight. by Saxon Cross 22 Mar 2012, 21:45, Post These rifles have not been available in original condition for decades. II* socket forgings. Lee Enfield No4 Mk* Long Branch 1944 - SOLD No4 Mk1 Fazakerley 1944 Serial KC25154 - Sold No4 Mk1 Maltby 1942 Serial M10655 - Sold No4 Mk1* Sterling 7.62mm Conversion - Sold AIA Lee Enfield M10-A1 Cal: 7.62x39mm - Sold Long Branch No4 Mk1* 1950 - Long Butt - SOLD No4 Mk1 7.62mm - SOLD No4 Mk1 BSA 1942 - Sold No4 Mk1 Fazakerley 1942 - Sold HWn7WpW)|s,iY&(T{+S{ycI( xxu_X')r_%m%ae[ov!n{wKrI|%Rs*5Pg" crR&%Nu2KC G?8~3TZ,GrpOMl">Ep%PT>|`(8-8i,&v#b7R U,i~D H2MV~p}-6eY3@K_wlqwC0TWv jwv~=4=?9K2/.$gc|dr_1Ti)wbz|y!A|Q6%w%j6gcB/GccvuY L>WpRQw- %zSZ9TbTdkuI?p`!_Uo_ M]TTy0& ~al2{|A2,`W&rf2-F^KN.w2A2bD F[0Iu&hSXYdOD9(=JshJa@. But the persistent zero problem became an annoyance. The No. The final result in March 1944 became the No. by The_Enigma 30 Mar 2012, 09:13, Return to The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45, Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. . Weight unloaded is Nine pounds even (I weighed it!) Being a Mk1* we knew that though. !o, I am hoping to get some help confirming or disproving my theory about this 1963 Indian furbished Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* I bought a few days ago. This article, "Exploded View: Lee-Enfield No. British No4 rifles were set up with a 5 digit serial number system with 1XXXX being allotted to Maltby, 2XXXX Fazakerley, 3XXXX BSA Shirley. by verdenpark 23 Mar 2012, 07:54, Post Socket: "No. He does mention the stylised 'M' is rare compared to the other factory markings encountered. examples with "E", "F" and "S" marks in a bright blued finish (often with a triangle that is a little too tight for the leather 1907 sling). 4 Mk 1* rifle I have are the following on the left side of the metal band holding the buttstock to the receiver assembly: (1) "1944" (with the 4 overstriking what. In the future, with a bit of luck, i should be a position to purchase an active Lee Enfield No 4. The leather belt frog is of unknown origin. Socket: "No 4 Mk II" over "S" and "B 75" over "1455". The, The very first Maltbys and BSA's produced their own and used the associated early marks for each (large B for BSA, stylized M for Maltby). These specific letter prefixes were assigned to ROF Fazakerley and BSA Shirley, the only two manufacturers of the No5 rifle, this ensured that there would be no duplicate serials during the production run of No5s. 0000000756 00000 n 769 0 obj<> endobj 4Mk. Our Price: 195.00: Gunner Points: 19: Stock Info: Out Of Stock: CR322 LE4 Sling swivel. 4 Mk. Markings on Lee Enfield rifles No4 serial numbers too. Also, the Tape Hunt makes a return. The No. The new rifle was well regarded by the troops receiving them. The British Army had adopted the Rifle, No. So if you have a genuine Maltby T - it was converted in 1941 and a little into 1942 at H&H while stocks lasted - typically Maltby "Ts" are nearly always 1941 dated - a 1942 example that is genuine has yet to be documented. This Mk. by gruff27 22 Mar 2012, 20:09, Post Specs: Savage Enfield No.4 MK1* Barrel Length: 25" Overall Length: 44.5" Caliber: .303 British Weight: 9lbs Capacity: 10 rounds Price: $600 to $1200 Ratings (out of five stars): Reliability: * * * * * It wasn't made by the French. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 7B/1005/21/103/1147 My thought is its a Savage No4 Mk1* lend lease made in 1942, It has the ( S ) markings and machine marks, The receiver, barrel, bolt, magazine and stock all have the same Indian furbished serial numbers and the savage markings. 2. 2) A "F" on the flip-up brass disc on the butt plate 3) Four things that look like stars or asterisks on the bottom of the magazine. According to Skennerton, more than 2 million Mk. I, Scabbard (Throat): broad arrow proofmark, Tool: "BRADES" over "1944" over broad arrow proofmark. Another dimension is whether to use (or if it is fitted) to include the front trigger guard triangular sling swivel (included in the factory build from Nov 1944 onwards and added by armourers as found after). I markings were reminiscent of how Pattern 1907 bayonets were marked, with the royal cypher, type, and maker. The entrenching tool was made by William Hunt & Sons, The Brades Ltd., Brades Steel Works, Oldbury, near Birmingham. For those out there that want to get deeper into the serial number issues I would suggest purchasing either Skip Strattons or Ian Skennertons books. It is essentially an updated N0. Based on a 1944 Maltby rifle. 2 bids. I have a serial number and FTR on the piece you have a picture of; my date is on the main part of the gun right above where your stuff is. Many Baird examples have a crowned IG mark on the socket. endstream endobj 770 0 obj<> endobj 771 0 obj<> endobj 773 0 obj<>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text]/ExtGState<>>>>> endobj 774 0 obj[775 0 R 776 0 R] endobj 775 0 obj<> endobj 776 0 obj<> endobj 777 0 obj<> endobj 778 0 obj<> endobj 779 0 obj<> endobj 780 0 obj/DeviceGray endobj 781 0 obj<> endobj 782 0 obj<>stream With the bayonet fixed, the helve was used to probe for land mines. These were supplied to the British under the Lend-Lease Act. 4 bayonets went to New Zealand. I. What this page will attempt to provide is a basic overview of the serial system and where to find them along with the manufacture markings and barrel date stamp that is common on most Enfields. On the opposite side of the RFI 1963 stamp,is there a serial number? For official references, usually the finished and issued rifle was tracked by its rack number and of course these records have long since been destroyed or lost forever. 0000012831 00000 n The little safety spring has a Long Branch stamp,the front sight protector was made by the Singer Sewing Machine Co.,the magazine follower was made by Savage. The factory site was razed to accommodate (apartment) flats in the mid-1980s. Per the contract and description Hollands were to remove the L / "flip" battle sight when present from the sending factory and replace it with one of their provided milled micrometer sights (either Singer Machine or Savage made and marked) - this would leave the rifle needing a new "zero" - a pass through an "Enfield Rest" test. In the expert write ups, there is reference to the H&H contract use of an "S" on the would-be "single round cut off" mounting ear section of the right receiver wall. Singer continued using a similar markings, as used on the Mk. Milled micrometer iron sight. You are using an out of date browser. Quantity: 2 ea. These included ROF Fazakerley, BSA, and ROF Maltby. The rifle functions beautifully, I'm just trying to track things down as much as I can. 30,000 rod forgings. WIth the No4T there are still a couple of ways to do this - long length of either sling forward or rearward - depending on your stature and preference for adjustment. This mark sometimes appears alone and sometimes with another forging contractors mark, which suggests that Tinsley supplied steel to several of the socket forging contractors. An example would be: rifle serial number 52C2689 would be the 522,689th rifle produced by Savage Stevens. Feb 9, 2020. Due to similarities with Indian Government acceptance marks, this was once thought to possibly indicate Indian service. .303 isn't any different that anything else. starting with a 1) indicates it was manufactured by ROF Maltby in Yorkshire, England. SMLE Mk1 Forestock. 4Mk. 4 Mark I rifle was adopted on Nov. 15, 1939. 1 rifle), but changes were made to the. Don(B3)RAOC Primary Pack. J'aime Je n'aime pas : Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 vs Armes modernes en .308 : Page 1 sur 1: Sujets similaires. Canadian Arsenals produced a run of approximately 5,000 No. Sheffield Steel Products produced approximately 670,000 Mk. I like using the triangular sling swivel to deliberately tighten the sling around my hand to grip the fore-end when using a shooting glove, Lee Enfield books by Ian Skennerton - Ideal reference information, Genuine Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 T Parts, Features, Marks and Accessories, Here we have a scopeless and virtually unfired 1945 No4T on the left and an "active service" No4T on the right that had its last service with India, other than the metal being painted with lumpy glossy black paint it is predominantly unchanged, On the left, the scopeless one exhibits all marks as freehand stamps through the blackened surface. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. The No. Rear Sights are flip-up adjustable aperature micrometer sights, not vertical leaf. Barrel is 24 inch, five groove 1:10 right hand rifling. II*, all in the UK: Prince-Smith & Stells, Howard & Bullough, Lewisham Engineering, and the Baird Manufacturing Co. 1.4million No. Batch No: 4 socket bayonets produced. Qty 1 F Sep 1986 Guns, Parts and Accessories Quick Shopper, WTS/WTB/WTT (Want to Sell, Buy or Trade) Forum, Appraisals, Fakery, Dispute Resolution & Mediation Forum. The rifle's two-piece stock and 10-round magazine are two of its most distinctive features. Then after the lessons and material losses of the BEF in Europe, the No4T was hurried into existence and the 1907 USA leather slings were applied to it as standard equipment. Lee Enfield books by Ian Skennerton - Ideal reference information Buy Now Of other interest - Wood and other Metal marks / stamps. The Lee-Enfield No. According to Graham Priest, on a rough scale of observations, he indicated that you see 100P.S.& S.Ltd for every circle mark; 150P.S.K for every circle mark, and 500N56 or unmarked for every circle mark. " gh" over "1 9 h". Nearly 5 million spike bayonets were reported produced. 4Mk. The rifle pictured here is a No. 4 Mk. If you liked this information and want to learn more, this volume is an excellent resource. To subscribe to the magazine,visit theNRA membership page here and selectAmerican Rifleman as your member magazine. . The last year observed on these sights using the SM mark is 1943 as per the right hand example, then the S69 code is used - again on major components (sight ladder (top left of the face), cursor (left side), elevation screw (top) and elevations screw nut (back). Sheffield Steel Products of Sheffield, Yorkshire. he! The prefixes were assigned as follows: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T ,U, V, W, Y ,Y, Z, AA, AB, AC. The markings were different for the different manufacturers and time periods, but they are all well documented in various books. Some DP markings on non load bearing parts. This revised specimen was the best of its type and was still in use by NATO forces. The leather is quite thin, suggesting that this might have been done for civilian (e.g., police) use, rather than military use. It is probably a 2 groove barrel, most Savage No4`s were, but it shoots very well for what it was intended.Robert. 5 will have "Rifle No 5 Mk I" electrostencilled there, [20] while a post-war conversion will generally have either no markings or markings from manufacturers who did not make the No. Mine only have the serial number (single letter, five numbers) on the butt socket. N56 (not pictured). Other than the war time Hollands originals, some of these commercial sling swivels have been retrofitted onto Npo4Ts - probably in private hands. Hollands also wrote the serial number of the rifle in pencil on the inside of the barrel channel on wooden fore end sections - just the serial number and not the letters have been observed. Those who live by the sword get shot. In correspondence, Anthony Carter indicated that Brades was the maker of many of the entrenching tools.