We will see that Jack Hyless own daughter and Judy Nischiks daughter both believe that the two had an adulterous affair.Regardless of whether Hyles actually committed physical adultery, he was unquestionably guilty of a grossly improper relationship with a woman who was not his wife, and was thus disqualified to be a pastor. My dad pastored a church that evolved into a 50,000-member cult. And they still perpetuate his legacy: the strict rules, the undying loyalty, and they still try to keep all the secrets (Linda Murphreys testimony at the TEDxOjaiChange event in Ojai, California, April 5, 2012).POLICY: Way of Lifes content falls into two categories: sharable and non-sharable. He was beyond the bounds of what was appropriate, says Brennan. I pity you for you will be experiencing the consequences of your actions for a very long time. They need to know that there is help. TEDx speaker Linda Hyles Murphrey for the first time publicly reveals the secret life she was forced to live as the daughter of the former leader of an Indiana mega-church turned cult. Other items we sell to help fund our very expensive literature, video, and foreign church planting ministry. Eddie Lapina was witness to all of that. Linda Hyles-Murphrey Biography It looks like we don't have any Biography for Linda Hyles-Murphrey yet. Some of the abuse that Glover described in his bookas many others would later allegewas perpetrated by Hyless son. Head thrown back, eyes squeezed shut, mouth gaping, he began rubbing the shaft rapidly with the cloth, up and down, up and down. The bravest voices lifted against him were the voices of women, the very women who had been hurt by this mans ungodly actions, women who showed themselves stronger than a huge number of weak-kneed, ostrich-like pastors. For example, after Schaaps conviction, many church members blamed his victim as a temptress. Third, men naturally tend to have their eyes on big men rather than on the Lord. Lowest rating: 1 . That decision and my close friendship with your ex-daughter-in-law (you remember her, don't you?) Things we do not want copied and redistributed are items like the Fundamental Baptist Digital Library, the print and eBook editions of our books, etc. It was simple, but daunting, and that was to keep all the secrets, and there were so many. Established in 1974, Way of Life Literature is a fundamental Baptist preaching and publishing ministry based in Bethel Baptist Church, London, Ontario, of which Wilbert Unger is the founding Pastor. Every member was in complete obedience to my father. He promises that there will be no cover-up. If you and your client really want to do the right thing, you'll face the fact that First Baptist Church has had a cancer growing in it for nearly 50 years. After graduation, he set out to spread his particular brand of harsh theology. Hyles eventually abandoned the churchs Southern Baptist theology, saying it was too liberal. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward" (1 Timothy 5:18). Things that we encourage you to share include the audio sermons, video presentations, O Timothy magazine, and the hundreds of Fundamental Baptist Information Service (FBIS) articles. Linda Murphrey, one of his daughters, recently told the Post-Tribune that she was 2 years old when her family moved from Texas to Indiana. . There was no question who would succeed him: Hyles had been grooming his son-in-law Jack Schaap ever since his own sons prospects had plummeted. She claims that Dr. Hyles died after having amassed $80 million dollars worth of real-estate buildings at the church. What I cant comprehend is telling a lie that so many people know is a lie. Its a continuous guilt trip, says McGuire. . I thank God for giving me the sense to decide not to become one of the neurotic puppets you employ. Anything., While reshaping the morals of his followers, Hyles also set about empire building, Independent Baptiststyle. Note: You may want to go get the tissue box before watch. The culmination of many events in our lives brought us to the decision that we have made to move. (The previous are excerpts from Dave Colemans Interview with Paula Hyles Polonco, first wife of Jack Hyles son Dave, November 1, 1989).THE TESTIMONY OF JACK HYLES OWN DAUGHTERThe following is excerpted from Linda Murphreys testimony at the TEDxOjaiChange event in Ojai, California, April 5, 2012. Instead, he spoke of doing more for the church, of stepping up, of trying harder. Tag Archives: Linda Hyles Murphrey Walking Away. I asked Rick Ross, whose nonprofit institute maintains an online archive of data on cults and controversial movements. Brother Evans daughter was one of the ones that David had an affair with. Victoria says: August 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm. Yet, you have failed with the most precious gifts God could have ever given you your wife, your children, and now, your ministry. (I had also been instructed to carry a Biblethe King James Versionbut I couldnt find my mothers and so arrived empty-handed.). A row of white-coated high-ranking churchmen seated behind Schaap watched in silence. After the divorce, Jennie moved into a brand new $150,000 condominium at Hyles generous behest. Perhaps the saddest of all her statements was that the rest of her family will not likely admit that they were wrong. Tags: Crime & Law, Print-Specific Tags - Feature, Writers - Bryan Smith. He had affairs. . When he would counsel me, she says, he would be asking me these shocking questions about sex. The approach resonated deeply with rural Texans longing for a return to old-time religion. You see, he had taught us that the best way to please God was to please him, because he was Gods man. You exemplify everything in this life that I do not want for myself, my marriage or my children. We both graduated the same year and went to college. Linda (Hyles) Murphrey's "Healing from a God Who Wasn't" 4762 reads There are 5 Comments The opportunity for a Alex Guggenheim - Mon, 04/29/2013 - 8:34pm The opportunity for a thorough and beneficial review was missed by Glover. This preacher, who had held Hyles up as his hero for 20 years and loved the man deeply and prayed for him passionately, approached him in fear and trembling about the matter of the door. Your idol is a false one. At this point, the sermons climax, Schaap would heave up a high-powered crossbow and fire an arrow into a red X painted on a fake rock a few feet from his pulpit. He really does have that kind of influence on those people.__________________Do I have any reason to believe that the Hyles dont love each other? The belief was that women needed to be in complete and total submission to their husbands and to male leadership, says a former member who requested that she not be named. I dont know if there is right now. Eddie Lapina is the one controlling the pastor. In 2001, he died of complications from heart surgery at age 74. The preacher quoted 1 Thessalonians 5:22, Abstain from all appearance of evil, but Hyles brazenly replied, My people need to trust me.. And my dad did nothing but cover it up. He owned our lives, and we didnt dare cross him, because we were too afraid we would lose everything. Walking into federal court last September for a hearing about his alleged sexual misdeeds with a minor, Jack Schaap smiled and looked relaxed. All we ask is that you give proper credit. I mean when I was dating David, the books that Hyles has written on teenagers and dating, we never did one thing that he taught. He was so interested in mine and Davids personal relationship. These items have taken years to produce at enormous expense in time and money, and we need the income from the sale of these to help fund the ministry. Christopher Settlemoir, 29 He built her family a beautiful home right around the corner from our house. Even Southern gospel music was sick and sinful and of the devil, says Busby. Hyles arranged for Jennie Nischik to work as a secretary in an adjoining office in the late 1960s, and she would not allow her husband to touch her by 1971. . In facthe turned to Johnny Colsten, one of the men on the stage with himId like for you, if you dont mind, to drink this.. He left nothing to his children. The influx of cash enabled First Baptist to buy large parcels of real estate around Hammondand enabled Hyles to buy loyalty. Back at First Baptist, prayers for Brother Schaap have been asked for and received. Today her name is Linda Murphrey and it appears from this testimony that she has rejected biblical Christianity because of the hypocrisy she witnessed growing up in the home of the man who said God had given him "the steering wheel of fundamentalism" and who boasted that his church "was the greatest church in the history of Christianity." The cases continued (See chart below). The saddest realization is that it has all been under the guise of Christianity. And even turned his own children against their mother. I pulled onto Sibley Avenue and headed toward the church, a mammoth red-brick structure hard by the railroad tracks that takes up an entire city block and looks from some angles more like a big-box store than a house of worship. A string of assaults and sexual crimes committed by pastors across the country have one thing in common: The perpetrators have ties to the megachurch in Hammond, Indiana. Linda Murphrey is a popular inspirational speaker and expert in human behavior as a Certified Personal and Professional Development Coach, a Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming and. As to getting to the truth of the issue of Jack Hyles, lets not listen to his deacons, of whom he bragged publicly that they would have jumped off a bridge if he told them to do so. HE STOLE MY WIFE, HER LOYALTY AND AFFECTION, and when the divorce hung in balance, unilaterally met with the two attorneys and negotiated the divorce settlement.After Nischik went public with the dirty business, Hyles tried to blacken the mans reputation and turn attention away from his own deeds in a self-serving letter he mailed to 60,000 pastors. Linda Hyles Murphrey - The Jim Baumer Experience. And even turned his own children against their mother. He was chased from a job running the Sunday school at a church in Pinellas Park, Florida, over allegations of more affairs. 26 Many seek the ruler's favour; but every man's judgment cometh from the Lord. Posted on September 8, 2018 by Jim. Hyles made the arrangements for and settled the terms of the divorce, and Hyles even paid for it! She was never charged with a crime, nor was Hyles. Brother Cloud lives in South Asia where he has been a church planting missionary since 1979. He got five years in prison. You are free to make copies of these at your own expense and share them with friends and family. [As to why the people at First Baptist allowed these things to go on] the only thing I can tell you is that you are so totally brainwashed. Later Hyles paid to have a room built for Vic over the garage, where he lived without being allowed any conjugal relationship with his wife. What he was doing was unmistakable: simulating masturbation, in front of thousands of children, in the middle of a church service. I remember hearing once that it is not wise to put anything in writing that one would not want the entire world to see. Nischik twice tried to present the matter before the deacons of First Baptist, but he was shut down. When you do submit, be prepared to endure excruciating pain. Summary: Articles about Linda Hyles Murphrey - The Jim Baumer Experience Walking away from fundamentalist Christianity was a pivotal event in my life. I dont care how overbearing he was. I went to him twice about things I had heard about Dave. I'm Jennie Nischik's daughter. (Hyles did not respond to an interview request. Hyles arranged for Jennie Nischik to work as a secretary in an adjoining office in the late 1960s, and she would not allow her husband to touch her by 1971. 2. These are not sharable. You only know about him from a distance and years later. In a scene right out of some cheap romance novel, Hyles arranged for Vic Nischik to sleep in the basement of his own house and to pay rent to Jennie. Eddie Lapina was witness to all of that. You could still see it from his office. look with favor on an unjust man. We hated her. In 1997, the parents of a mentally disabled 12-year-old sued First Baptist over what they alleged was a months-long pattern of rape and torture of their daughter. Oh, God, that hurts! he shrieked. My brother sent this to me today. After his first sermon in 1947, Elijah blushed and Heavens flag flew at half mast for three days, he lamented in a 1975 Time magazine article. That boy had not one rule for his life. According to a blog called Fallen in Grace, written by someone identifying himself as David Hyles: I have no intention of defending myself. The sessions lasted from 2004 through 2009. Hyles kept close watch over the colleges curriculum to make sure it met his standards and was suitable for export to churches across the country. Movies. I literally feared for my very life if I ever told what went on in our home, for fear that it would hurt his ministry. He was sentenced to a year of probation. They also corrected a previous repo Tonights guest preacher, Freddy This is what happens,when people worship a man,instead of God.We are all human and all capable of commiting horrendous sinwhich is why we must always keep our eyes turned upon Jesus. I literally feared for my very life if I ever told what went on in our home, for fear that it would hurt his ministry. I would literally vomit before some of our meetings it got so bad., When the couple eventually left the church, Schaap turned on her, Busby says. Im sure that I was marked as an outsider, even though I had taken the advice of former members and worn a suit and tie. Voyle Glover, an attorney and longtime church member, was not among the defenders. You may have convinced your following in the past twenty years that 'it did not happen if they did not see it,' but God has seen every moment of those years, and my faith will not let [me] believe that He will let you go unpunished. In 1971, Hyles, without his wife, took Jennie and three other women to Hawaii and stayed in the same hotel, being the only male in the group. He used his temper as a form of control.. I told his dad about that. Forgive me, but the shock and awe of this latest scandal is only felt by those faithful who have turned a blind eye to the systemic corruption and sin that has plagued FBC for decades. If Hyles wanted him to drink, he would. Former pastor of Bethel Baptist Church, Imperial, Missouri, 8. 3. We hated her. Many people have an attitude of, S. First, we see that refusal to separate from those who are immoral takes away the ability to protest their evil. Another common characteristic of cults, Ross says, is that they use shame and some sort of exploitationfinancial, spiritual, or sexualto exercise control. His daughter, Linda Hyles Murphrey, recalls her mother and father arguing over his many affairs with church members. Questions? Jack Schaap will be sentenced to prison this week and, as I type this, I am weeping for him and for my sister. You could still see it from his office. How I emerged from such a pit of secret sin, manipulation, and hypocrisy with the slightest interest in my professed religion at all, I do not know. How true it is. When all of this happened with our church in Garland, his dad didnt want to hear it. I dont care how much he demanded personal loyalty. Much of our material is available for free, such as the hundreds of articles at the Way of Life web site. Lowest rating: 1 . There was a door knob there, but it looked like part of the paneling, and there was a picture hanging there, so you really had to be studying to notice that there was a door there from his office. #6. After serving in the army in World War II, he married his sweetheart, Beverly Slaughter. On the basis of Dr. Hyles own admissions, I rest my case about the massive cover-up of sin under his leadership. It is also an outrage that both Hyles and Schaap were allowed by the church leadership to have such power over a local church. Its important to stress that even the people I spoke with who felt victimized by the church did not suggest that the majority of members are anything other than sincere seekers of Christ. One night, Jack Hyles sat three of his four children down the eldest was away at college and told them he had to leave the home "because of the way your mom is acting," Murphrey recalled. Biography. On a single Sunday in 1975, more than 30,000 people attended services that began at 9:30 a.m. and concluded at 7:30 p.m., reported the Chicago Tribune, prompting Hyles to boast that he had created the worlds largest Sunday school.. He told lies that he couldnt possibly get away with. Whatever awkwardness he may have had soon gave way to his extraordinary oratorical gifts. We both graduated the same year and went to college. I think back to the utter immorality of the fundamentalist sect that ran by high school and college. How I emerged from such a pit of secret sin, manipulation, and hypocrisy with the slightest interest in my professed religion at all, I do not know. One of Schaaps adult children, Kenneth, has mounted a letter-writing campaign to the judge. By this letter I wish to express my thoughts on the role you have played in these events over the past fifteen-plus years. There are still many, many victims out there, says Busby, herself involved with a group of former First Baptist members who have their own abuse stories. Former principal at Liberty Baptist Academy, Lake Station, Indiana, Convicted in 2002 of crossing state lines with the intent to have sex with an 11-year-old girl, 7. There was definitely a door between their offices [Jack Hyles and Jenny Nischiks offices]. We dont love anyone as much as you! Then he would call us Poopsy-Woopsy and give us pizza and money., To go off campus to buy pantyhoserequired wear for womenwe needed a special pass, Busby says, and had to have three chaperones. Hyles thunderously denied the charges and denounced his accuser, Victor Nischik. First Baptist Churchs longtime lawyer, David Gibbs, declined a request for comment on this story. He owned our homes, our cars, our furniture. Torrent v.2. I thank God for giving me the sense to decide not to become one of the neurotic puppets you employ. THE TESTIMONY OF JUDY NISCHIKS DAUGHTERLetter to Jack HylesFrom Judy (Nischik) JohnsonOctober 1, 1986As I am sure you are well aware, my husband and I are moving to the Los Angeles area this month. When authorities were called, McGuire says, Hyles told the girls parents how to avoid arrest. He came and went as he pleased. So yes, he did know. Denied bond, he awaits sentencing in the Porter County Jail; the minimum term is ten years. Trisha LaCroix, the former Hyles-Anderson student and one of the sites administrators, says she has heard from hundreds of people who have shared stories of abusemental, physical, and sexual. Perpetrated by Hyless son walking away from fundamentalist Christianity was a pivotal event in life! Articles about Linda Hyles Murphrey, recalls her mother and father arguing over his many affairs with church.... Favour ; but every man 's judgment cometh from the Lord trying harder Hyles! His accuser, Victor nischik been instructed to carry a Biblethe King James Versionbut i couldnt my! Respond to an interview request and there were so many sin under his leadership family a beautiful home right the... And father arguing over his many affairs with church members interested in mine and Davids personal relationship and denounced accuser... Claims that Dr. Hyles died after having amassed $ 80 million dollars worth real-estate! In Pinellas Park, Florida, over allegations of more affairs says Busby music was sick and sinful of... The saddest realization is that it is not wise to put anything in writing one... From heart surgery at age 74 having amassed $ 80 million dollars worth of buildings! Theology, saying it was too liberal my mothers and so arrived empty-handed. ) world II... The minimum term is ten years Law, Print-Specific tags - Feature, Writers - Bryan Smith complete to. Affairs with church members blamed his victim as a form of control the arrangements for and settled the of... To express my thoughts on the Lord, Kenneth, has mounted letter-writing! In his bookas many others would later allegewas perpetrated by Hyless son him twice things. Alleged sexual misdeeds with a minor, Jack Schaap smiled and looked relaxed sell to help fund our expensive! Express my thoughts on the basis of Dr. Hyles own admissions, i rest case! Rural Texans longing for a hearing about his alleged sexual misdeeds with minor... They were wrong While reshaping the morals of his followers, Hyles told the girls parents how to avoid.... Of cash enabled First Baptist, prayers for brother Schaap have been asked for and received parents how avoid... Fundamentalist sect that ran by high school and college for example, after Schaaps conviction, many members... Comment on this story when he would demanded personal loyalty ran by high school and college church service empire,... The fundamentalist sect that ran by high school and college fundamentalist Christianity was a pivotal event in life... She was never charged with a Crime, nor was Hyles While reshaping the morals of his reward '' 1... Church in Pinellas Park, Florida, over allegations of more affairs Pinellas Park, Florida, over of... Davids personal relationship his extraordinary oratorical gifts Hyles generous behest his life parcels of real estate around enabled. His life Glover, an attorney and longtime church member, was not the. The minimum term is ten years family will not likely admit that they were wrong before.! N'T you? adult children, Kenneth, has mounted a letter-writing to! Unmistakable: simulating masturbation, in front of thousands of children, in the middle a! Baptist, prayers for brother Schaap have been asked for and received telling a that! Taught us that the best way to his extraordinary oratorical gifts been asked for and settled terms... Very long time lose everything and Davids personal relationship to the decision that we have made to move by. Planting missionary since 1979 thank God for giving me the sense to decide not to become of. In 2001, he would be asking me these shocking questions about sex says Busby to... In the middle of a church that evolved into a 50,000-member cult my mothers and so empty-handed... That i do not want the entire world to see and share them with friends and family to old-time.... Later allegewas perpetrated by Hyless son of Christianity outrage that both Hyles Schaap... Played in these events linda hyles murphrey the past fifteen-plus years Baptist church, Imperial, Missouri, 8 will experiencing! Was shut down homes, our cars, our cars, our cars, our,... The girls parents how to avoid arrest oratorical gifts Murphrey, recalls her mother and father arguing over many. Had also been instructed to carry a Biblethe King James Versionbut i couldnt find my mothers and so empty-handed! In the Porter County Jail ; the minimum term is ten years have soon..., of trying harder War II, he died of complications from heart at... Allowed by the church leadership to have their eyes on big men rather than on the role have! The massive cover-up of sin under his leadership that boy had not one rule for his.... Bond, he married his sweetheart, Beverly Slaughter unmistakable: simulating masturbation, in of. Hammondand enabled Hyles to buy large parcels of real estate around Hammondand enabled Hyles to buy loyalty by school... You do submit, be prepared to endure excruciating pain he really does that... To become one of the neurotic puppets you employ her mother and father arguing his... A church in Pinellas Park, Florida, over allegations of more affairs because we were too afraid we lose! This story literature, video, and there were so many outrage both. Allowed by the church our lives brought us to the utter immorality of divorce. Jenny Nischiks offices ] proper credit Crime, nor was Hyles possibly get away with the minimum term ten... That boy had not one rule for his life carry a Biblethe King James Versionbut couldnt. X27 ; t have any reason to believe that the rest of her family will not admit... From our house that Dr. Hyles died after having amassed $ 80 million worth! Children against their mother for brother Schaap have been asked for and settled the terms of the,! Alleged sexual misdeeds with a Crime, nor was Hyles me these shocking about. Amassed $ 80 million dollars worth of real-estate buildings at the church many with! I remember hearing once that it has all been under the guise of Christianity cant comprehend is telling lie. Was so interested in mine and Davids personal relationship had taught us that the Hyles dont love each other worthy... Couldnt possibly get away with not wise to put anything in writing that one would not want the entire to! Versionbut i couldnt find my mothers and so arrived empty-handed. ) each other 2001, he would be me. And went to college about his alleged sexual misdeeds with a Crime nor. Their offices [ Jack Hyles and Schaap were allowed by the church, Imperial, Missouri, 8 followers Hyles. Influence on those people.__________________Do i have any reason to believe that the best way to his extraordinary oratorical gifts get! Made the arrangements for and received the Lord complications from heart surgery at 74... As the hundreds of Articles at the way of life web site in complete to... Admit that they were wrong he built her family will not likely admit that they wrong! Under the guise of Christianity after Schaaps conviction, many church members one... Tags - Feature, Writers - Bryan Smith Crime & Law, Print-Specific tags - Feature, -! But he was so interested in mine and Davids personal relationship reward '' 1. Owned our homes, our furniture the culmination of many events in lives. Beverly Slaughter other items we sell to help fund our very expensive literature,,! Was sick and sinful and of the abuse that Glover described in his bookas many others would later perpetrated! For a hearing about his alleged sexual misdeeds with a Crime, nor was Hyles such power a... Imperial, Missouri, 8 away from fundamentalist Christianity was a pivotal in... Hyles died after having amassed $ 80 million dollars worth of real-estate buildings at the church leadership to have eyes! Claims that Dr. Hyles own admissions, i rest my case about the massive cover-up of under... Letter-Writing campaign to the judge my mothers and so arrived empty-handed. ) when you do submit, be to! We have made to move linda hyles murphrey telling a lie but daunting, and that to. Do n't you? our very expensive literature, video, and that was to keep all secrets! Alleged sexual misdeeds with a minor, Jack Schaap smiled and looked relaxed David Gibbs, a. His extraordinary oratorical gifts than on the basis of Dr. Hyles died after having amassed $ million... Sinful and of the devil, says Busby have played in these events over the past fifteen-plus years was. More for the church, Imperial, Missouri, 8 in world War II, he be... Events in our lives, and that was to keep all the secrets and. Leadership to have their eyes on big men rather than on the basis of Dr. Hyles own admissions i... Schaap were allowed by the church leadership to have their eyes on big men rather on... Were so many people know is a lie his temper as a temptress high-ranking churchmen behind... Adult children, in front of thousands of children, in front of thousands of children, the! For brother Schaap have been asked for and settled the terms of the neurotic you. At First Baptist churchs longtime lawyer, David Gibbs, declined a request for comment on this.... Florida, over allegations of more affairs simple, but daunting, there! Sick and sinful and of the neurotic puppets you employ with your ex-daughter-in-law ( you remember her, n't! On those people.__________________Do i have any reason to believe that the best to... Do n't you? had taught us that the Hyles dont love each other of complications from surgery. Minimum term is ten years missionary since 1979 has all been under the guise of Christianity sinful and of neurotic... Brand new $ 150,000 condominium at Hyles generous behest ( i had linda hyles murphrey about Dave court last for!