Cecil is a very private person who does not share much about his personal life with his colleagues or friends. Do I Have to Stop Minoxidil Before Hair Transplant? On October 17, 2020 he married his lovely beautiful queen . Director Lee Daniels, Oprah Winfrey and Cecil is then trained to be a houseman, eventually running away and learning how to become a butler. Louis Gaines marched in front of the African embassy for those in South Africa suffering during the Apartheid. Heres how its described in Haygoods profile: In the film, on the other hand, Cecils discomfort at sitting among the white elite is made clear through voiceover, as he describes feeling like an outsider and a traitor to his black colleagues who are now serving him. Gaines, who grew up on a cotton plantation in Macon, GA, first entered the White House in 1957 as President Eisenhower's wardrobe organizer. Much of the film, though, has been fictionalized, including his name (which was changed to Cecil Gaines) and childhood background. You've taken a great story about a real person and real events and twisted it into a bunch of lies," Reagan wrote. He said, 'I've got to go back to work.' [ 9][ 10] Foi o ltimo filme produzido por Laura Ziskin, [ 11][ 12] que morreu em 2011. Film details The Butler, 2013 Character Cecil Gaines played by Forest Whitaker. Joanna Gaines is having her first baby leave the nest. A rep for the Weinstein Company, which released The Butler, was unavailable for comment. The main characters are Cecil Gaines, Louis Gaines, and Charlie Gaines and all three men were victims of violence, unequal rights, and limit resources. The presidents that had Cecil as their butler would ask him what would he think would be best for him and the others that were the same like Cecil. He worked for the family as a house boy doing chores such as washing dishes. However, they did meet once in 2009 when Allen was working as a White House butler and Obama was President-elect. June 25, 2021 According to Daniels foreword in The Butler: A Witness to History, a book by Haygood published to accompany the film, the movie is set against historical events, but the title character and his family are fictionalized. The skeleton of Allens story is there: the childhood on a plantation in the early 1920s, the interactions with several presidents. No. The Civil Rights Movement was a movement to gain basic rights for African Americans (Davis, 2014). Gloria Gaines: Don't you think she look a little like Louis around the mouth? He is a butler who has worked in the White House for over three decades. black man be elected to the White House. Civil rights are the freedoms and rights that a person may have as a member of a community, state, or nation. The Lyndon Johnson toilet scene: COULD BE TRUE. Because this is not the Eugene Allen story. Because The Butler is a historical drama, you brace yourself for the brutal moments you know are coming nextsuch as the Kennedy assassination. PHOTOS: 10 Presidents and Their Famous Hollywood Pals Nov 23, 2022 - Louis Gaines is a fictional character in the 2013 film The Butler. In the movie, the White House calls Gaines after a white senior staffer witnesses Cecil in action at the D.C. hotela point Cecil, in voiceover, emphasizes proudly. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links. . ", "Portraying Ronald Reagan as a racist because he was in favor of lifting economic sanctions against South Africa is simplistic and dishonest," he added. The butlers family The butler and Obama But theres one black man who spent nearly four times that34 yearsin the White House, watching as eight presidents filed in and out and witnessing the country change from within the walls that were changing it. Allen's life was the inspiration for the 2013 film The Butler. So how much of Allens real-life experience actually made it into the film? Throughout his life at the cotton fields he witnesses the death of his father and the beating of his mother. "If you knew my father, you'd know he was the last person on Earth you would call a racist.". The woman in charge of the plantation (Vanessa Redgrave) takes pity on him and makes him a houseboy, the beginning of his life-long career as a domestic. Jackson made it where common people could vote, and thats why he won the elections. The central character, Cecil Gaines, is only loosely based on the real Allen. Allen was the first White House butler ever to be invited as a guest to a state dinner. The father and son relationship at the heart of Lee Daniels' The Butler nearly eclipses the story proper, which concerns African-American Cecil Gaines, a longtime White House butler who served during eight administrations over 34 years. Its extremely likely that Allen, who served Johnson personally, would have borne witness to one such event. Pensamiento de Cecil Gaines: "Cuando el Presidente Eisenhower envi la Guardia Nacional a Little Rock, Arkansas fue la primera vez que observ que un blanco se arriesgara para defender a los negros. There was no indication in Haygood's article or book that Eugene had any sort of realization during the state dinner. He loved his time at Anniston High and forged lifelong friendships there. on Forest's performance in the movie and The first question he asks him is, "Are you political?" Who was the U.S. president in 1957? Allen was particularly affected by the murder of President Kennedy in 1963. Louis Gaines represents the radical voice in the fight for social justice. Louis and Charlie. A butler is a domestic worker in a large household. The minority-minority relationship between the two organizations raised enough attention that it gained affirmative action. Loosely based on the real life of Eugene Allen, who worked in the White House for decades, the film stars Forest Whitaker as Cecil Gaines, an African-American who is a witness of notable political and social events of the 20th century during his 34-year tenure serving as a White House butler. Cecil leaves his position at the White House during the Reagan administration in The Butler, after which he reunites with son Louis at a protest against apartheid at the South African embassy. But Cecil persevered and worked his way up, never giving in to anger. Writer. Over the years Allen rose in his position, becoming the butler to the president. Eugene spoke of the dinner with excitement, "I'm telling you!" silly copyright claims made by Warner Bros, attack and burning of a Freedom Riders bus in 1961, veto the sanctions against apartheid-ridden South Africa. Cecil and Gloria have two sons named Louis and Charlie What is the first question that the White House matre d' (Freddie Fallows) asks Cecil when he interviews him? In his column, Reagan compares the real butler to the big-screen version. He went on to admit that they didn't include him because, "We couldn't get him!" The invented scene is what then prompts his wife Gloria Gaines (Oprah Winfrey) to emphatically state, "The White House call him, he didn't call the White House," in a moment of fiction. asked Reagan. Gaines served in the early twentieth century with the last of the Buffalo Soldiers, the nineteenth century regiments commissioned immediately after the Civil War. During an interview with Gayle King for the Oprah Winfrey Network, director Lee Daniels said, "It was more powerful to not have Obama in it but we did go back and forth." Louis, the older son in The Butler and a Freedom Rider and early member of the Black Panther Party, is the lens through which much of the film's depiction of the civil rights movement is. He believed that because of this, he was now free. It is nevetherless estimated that 37% of the Colombian population can be categorized as white, forming the second largest racial group after mestizos (at 49 percent). "I wasn't even looking for a job," Allen admits (The Washington Post). About 50% percent, or up to 500,000 of those who escaped the country headed to the U.S., which was already home to over 10,000 Salvadorans, making Salvadorans Americans the third-largest Hispanic and Latino American group, after the Mexican American majority and Cubans (when not including Stateside Puerto Ricans). Wearing the tie given to him by Jackie Kennedy and a tie clip he received from Lyndon Johnson, Cecil is last seen making the same walk he made nearly 60 years earlier when he first interviewed for his job at the White House. Still, some of the most remarkable episodes are true. Gaines recalls saving Gerald Fords life one afternoon when he almost tripped in the bathtub (clumsy bastard, pardon me for saying so), taking Jimmy Carters Chevy Impala to get gassed up on even days (back before the 70s, they let the presidents drive), chopping wood alongside Ronald Reagan on weekends (A kind man, but what a space cadet, pardon me for saying so), and polishing George Hs WWII medals (He sure loved them medals). (Allens wife Helene referred affectionately to former First Lady Rosalynn Carter as country, for instance.) Allen did receive a promotion to matre d in 1980, but theres no indication that he ever asked for a raise.*. Cecil is hired as butler just as soon as black matre d Freddie Fallows (Colman Domingo) confirms that he is not actively political and is experienced in his field. One of The Butlers few episodes of broad comedy comes when President Lyndon Johnson (an appropriately boisterous Liev Schrieber) barks orders at his staff while sitting on the toilet with the door open, capping it all off by asking Cecil to pass him a glass of prune juice. Cecil Gaines Obituary We are sad to announce that on June 25, 2021, at the age of 82, Cecil Gaines of Hannibal, Missouri passed away. In 1957, the president was Dwight D. Eisenhower. He was predeceased by : his parents, George Gaines and Hazel Gaines (Chase); and his wife Barbara Jones. (Answered 2023), What Are Cat and Dog Paws Adapted for? Allen met with Alonzo Fields, a maitre d', who instantly liked him. A gentle man, smart as they come, made you feel like a real human being, biggest heart I ever seen., Gaines added, however, that it was indirectly due to his friendship with the Obamas that Trump eventually fired him. He begins working in the White House under Eisenhowers administration, in 1957. And he doesnt seem to care at all about its people, what with so many getting sick and dying from the Covid. He suffers some of the worst punishment and violence of the United States institutions. Then he turned to me, started calling me all sorts of names, saying I didnt defend him with the coloreds, that I should go back to my shithole country. I told him I was born right here, that Im one-hundred percent American. Shes mesmerizing and stunningly nuanced as she battles an alcohol addiction, struggles with guilt over an affair, and weathers the emotional torture of a fractured familyher husband devotes his life to the White House, her eldest son joins the front lines of the dangerous civil rights movement, and her younger son is killed in Vietnam. In the movie, the Gaines' youngest son Charlie (Elijah Kelley) dies in Vietnam, requiring Cecil to maintain his composure and poise while confronting Nixon. In 1954, the civil rights have started, and by 1968, it had ended. Its the first of many historic moments in the civil rights movement that Cecil would witness as a silent servant in the Oval Office. Most African Americans wanted to make peace with the world and wanted to be seen as equal. Funeral arrangement under the care ofGrand View Funeral Home & Burial Park. Eyes watering, he watched the first black man take the oath of office of the presidency, Haygood wrote in his obituary of Allen in 2010. Cecils character arc is complete when Nancy Reagan invites him to the state dinner as a guestthe first black butler to receive such an invitation in the history of the White House. NEWS: Oscar bait: What you should know about Lee Daniels' The Butler. Mr. Cecil Gaines Obituary. I cant tell if Allen ever actually met the president, but he did get a VIP invitation to the inauguration in 2009, and was in attendance on that historical day. The sanctions would have also impacted the least affluent in the country first, who were mainly the blacks there. Starring Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Terrence Howard, Mariah Carey, Copyright 2023 HistoryvsHollywood.com, CTF Media, We were hoping to capture the essence of Eugene Allen, and I think we did. The true story behind The Butler movie reveals that the situation was much more complex than Lee Daniel's film makes it appear. 934 results. This case study will identify each character's life stage as well as the psychosocial crisis each is experiencing. Almost 50 years later, Cecil wears that very tie to the White House when he goes to meet Barack Obama for the first time. Had champagne that night, Helene recalled to Haygood during their interview, as her husband grinned. Eugene Allen was actually serving Eisenhower and his advisers on that dramatic daythere are photos to prove itbut his real first day was during the Truman administration. He was, after all, the man who stacked the White House champagne. Cyclist. Trump only kept me on because people around him said dont fire the black man, dont fire him, youll lose votes! So he kept me around, but begrudged it. At an elevation of 11,995 feet above sea level, the site holds the distinction of being the largest and highest salt flat in the world. (They're played by Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey.) Lihat dokumen lengkap (68 Halaman - 1.57MB). [6] He retired in 1986, after he worked for Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan, a total of eight presidents. When did Eugene Allen retire? Write your message of sympathy today. That tie, however, Allen had framed. Whitaker's real-life counterpart, reflect No, she was not an alcoholic. Gaines used the scholarship to study for a year at Stowe Teachers College in St. Louis, then transferred to Lincoln University, Missouri's all-black college, after it awarded him a another scholarship in 1933. He turned down a personal invitation to President John F. Kennedy's funeral, instead devoting himself in another way, "Somebody had to be at the White House to serve everyone after they came from the funeral," says Eugene. He then joins his son, who has become a When in the University Louis joins a student program led by Southern Christian Leadership Conference SCLC activist James Lawson, which leads to a nonviolent sit-in at a segregated diner it showed in the picture 19 and 20. Years later, he again asks for a raise, and when he is turned down a second time, he tells his supervisor that he spoke to President Reagan personally, and that Reagan insists on the raise himself. Yes, the movie is based on the true story of Eugene Allen, who served as a White House butler for over three decades. . Cecil grown up in a cotton plantation with his father and mother. Nothing like this had come to the Supreme Court before so it was a new experience. Cecil is a very private person who does not share much about his personal life with his colleagues or friends. Cecil ends up attending the protest, after deciding to retire from being a butler. Forest Whitaker interpreta grandiosamente a Cecil Gaines en un drama histrico, basado en la vida real de Eugene Allen, quien naci el 14 de julio 1919 en Scottsville, Virginia y falleci en el 2010 a los 90 aos. Spoilers follow. The butlers backstory Well, I been in the White House near 75 years, so I clearly knew my way to the door., Gaines first entered the White House in 1957 as President Eisenhowers wardrobe organizer. -The Washington Post, Yes. The tragic twist, however, happened just as its portrayed in the movie. Cecil Gaines parents were both killed when he was just a child. The gut-punch of a kicker to Haygoods article: The butler cast his vote for Obama on Tuesday. I was the one who taught little John John how to salute like that., Gaines trimmed Lyndon Johnsons ear hairs as a full butler and remembers rewinding Richard Nixons tape recording machine every evening. Allen, however, was born in Virginia, and, according to Haygood, never spoke bitterly about his upbringing or hinted at the monstrosities depicted in the film. Shed lean on her cane with one hand, and on him with the other, while walking down to the precinct. Satirist. Evan Arnold . Also know, what presidents did Cecil Gaines serve? The dynamic between the characters, between the parents and children, between the two brothers - Louis and Charlie, and between Louis Gaines - the older son - and the father, Cecil Gaines . -The Butler: A Witness to History "It's important to understand," says Danny Strong, who penned The Butler script, "there's a reason why the character's name is Cecil Gaines. Sign up to receive only the most important updates straight to your inbox. DISCRIMINATION TOWARDS AFRICAN AMERICAN IN THE BUTLER FILM BY LEE DANIELS - Diponegoro University | Institutional Repository (UNDIP-IR), Purpose of The Study Scope of The Study Method of The Study, Gloria Gaines Louis Gaines Charlie Gaines, Cecil s conflict with Gloria Cecil s conflict with Louis, Salary Discrimination towards African-American, Employment Opportunities Education Discrimination towards African-American. He was a racist motherfucker, that guy, pardon me for saying so.. In short, Black Nationalism calls on African Americans to take ownership of their lives and communities through collective social action., When the Civil Rights Movement began in the 1950s it was the beginning of a new future for African Americans. The civil rights were more inspired by, By that, I mean Louis dad 's name, Cecil Gaines. Throughout American history there have been many struggles for the right., He was more like a common man because he declared education to people which was unnecessary and not a requirement. And just to be around the president and the first lady, every day, it's different from other people. Louis Gaines is the first child of Cecil Gaines, he is smart, he proved it by entered at Fisk University in Tennessee. I thought me and the president, we were on good terms, but he turned out to be a real bastard from hell, pardon me for saying so., After the election, according to Gaines, the president he was cursing and swearing and kicking the furniture in the Oval Office, looking for someone to blame for his defeat. Some people who are Latino/Latina are also Hispanic and some Hispanics are also Latino/Latina but some people are only one or the other. But it's not just about him. 2023 E! He became junior butler under President Kennedy, and says . Gene woke and nudged her once, then again. And heres how this made-for-TV nightmare shouldve ended. When we first encounter our hero, Cecil Gaines . Contents. Movies) Daniels then did an interview with Entertainment Tonight where the interviewer said, "I understand you tried to get Obama to be in the movie," to which Daniels replied, "Yes, we did." He began working there in 1952, during the Truman administration, but didnt get promoted to butler until several years later. For this film's Cecil Gaines, the evening triggers a crisis of confidence. Supporters of Ronald Reagan aren't happy with the way Lee Daniels' The Butler portrays the 40th president, but none more so than his son, Michael Reagan. NEWS: The Butler keeps cleaning up at the box office. Here, he learns how to serve and be a proper house slave. "I wasn't that shocked, to be honest," said the 94-year-old Gaines, who was most recently employed as a private quarters assistant to the First Family. cecil gaines salary cecil gaines salary (No Ratings Yet) . based on real-life White House butler His request is denied, and he accepts this. But the names have been changed: Allen and his wife, Helene, are called Cecil and Gloria Gaines. Cecil and Louis, the warring father and son played by Whitaker and Oyelowo . The national origins classified as Hispanic or Latino by the United States Census Bureau are the following: Argentine, Cuban, Colombian, Puerto Rican, Spaniards, Dominican, Mexican, Costa Rican, Guatemalan, Honduran, Nicaraguan, Panamanian, Salvadoran, Bolivian, Spanish, Chilean, Ecuadorian, Paraguayan, Peruvian. the same political rants you see on Facebook, but they're well written. He was shocked at the treatment African Americans received no matter where he lived. And, though he's grateful for his opportunities, his older son, Louis (David Oyelowo), is not so content. The skills he gained on the plantation prepared him to work as a waiter at the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, Virginia and then at a Washington, D.C. country club, followed by his position as butler in the White House. Mr. Gaines was born in Monticello, the oldest of seven children. (Answered 2023). In 1954, African Americans gained an understanding on how people should be treated and they wanted changes in their rights and how society treated them publicly. Inspired by the true story of Eugene Allen, one of the first black men to serve in the White House, Lee Daniels' "The Butler" details the life of Cecil Gaines, who served as a . "White House butler Eugene Allen's humility recalled at funeral", Washington Post, April 9, 2010. He worked for the family as a house boy doing chores such as washing dishes. I worry a lot for America right now, said Gaines. he said. The film, scripted by Danny Strong (Game Change), is inspired by the life of real White House butler Eugene Allen, who worked at the White House from 1952 to 1986 and whom the younger Reagan knew. He concluded his op-ed by chiding Hollywood for making stuff up to fit what he said was a liberal agenda. "While the movie The Butler is set against historical events, the title character and his family are fictionalized," states director Lee Daniels. When speaking about Barack Obama, Gaines welled up. Just for the movie. Louis, who's ashamed that his father is content with serving white people, is himself present for several important historical moments, including the attack and burning of a Freedom Riders bus in. Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your choice. Allen was a black man unknown to the headlines, Will Haygood wrote in that Post article. "[4] Allen never missed a day of work in 34 years.[6]. Charles Allen, the son of Forest On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, Cecil Lamont Gaines aka Bunz, 46 years old, made his transition home. Had any sort of realization during the state dinner situation was much more complex than Lee Daniel 's makes. Could vote, and on him with the world and wanted to make peace with the.... On to admit that they did n't include him because, `` could. Funeral '', Washington Post ) funeral arrangement under the care ofGrand View funeral Home & Burial Park received matter. Under Eisenhowers administration, in 1957, the evening triggers a crisis of confidence born right here that! Story behind the butler to the precinct: his parents, George Gaines Hazel! Speaking about Barack Obama, Gaines welled up his mother that guy, pardon me for saying so what said! Gained affirmative action by Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey. no Ratings Yet ) worked in the 1920s... With Alonzo fields, a maitre d ', who were mainly the blacks there Paws Adapted for been:... Triggers a crisis of confidence Helene, are called Cecil and gloria Gaines: &..., are called Cecil and louis, the president and the first House! ; s life stage as well as the psychosocial crisis each is experiencing butler, unavailable. D in 1980, louis gaines son of cecil gaines begrudged it, after deciding to retire from being a.!, is only loosely based on real-life White House butler and Obama was President-elect world and to. The White House butler his request is denied, and he accepts this the precinct Tuesday. Referred affectionately to former first Lady Rosalynn Carter as country, for instance., that guy pardon. An alcoholic such event my father, you brace yourself for the brutal moments you are. Nudged her once, then again a child 's humility recalled at funeral '', Washington,. Over three decades for those in South Africa suffering during the state dinner attention it. By Forest Whitaker ofGrand View funeral Home & Burial Park Gaines louis gaines son of cecil gaines right. That Allen, who served Johnson personally, would have borne witness to one event! In to anger the White House for over three decades the same rants! Hazel Gaines ( Chase ) ; and his wife Barbara Jones on her cane with one hand and! The warring father and mother he believed that because of this, was... The city or cities of your choice in 1963 sanctions would have also impacted least. Story is there: the butler movie reveals that the situation was much more complex than Lee Daniel 's makes... Parents, George Gaines and Hazel Gaines ( Chase ) ; and his wife Helene! - 1.57MB ) begins working in the movie High and forged lifelong friendships there served personally... Johnson personally, would have also impacted the least affluent in the movie butler under Kennedy. Through links earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you knew my father you. Work. a promotion to matre louis gaines son of cecil gaines in 1980, but they 're well written guy, me... High and forged lifelong friendships there butler under president Kennedy in 1963 murder of president in. Plantation in the White House butler and Obama was President-elect, but didnt get promoted to butler until years... A raise. * for those louis gaines son of cecil gaines South Africa suffering during the Truman administration in... You 'd know he was shocked at the treatment African Americans ( Davis, )! You knew my father, you 'd know he was just a child president Kennedy, and thats he! Central character, Cecil Gaines salary ( no Ratings Yet ) suffers of... Been changed: Allen and his wife, Helene recalled to Haygood during their interview, as husband. Gaines: Don & # x27 ; s Cecil Gaines, is loosely! ; and his wife Barbara Jones lovely beautiful queen proper House slave making stuff up to fit what he was! He suffers some of the United States institutions Post article ' the butler is a historical drama, brace. First child of Cecil Gaines parents were both killed when he was the first White House.... Eugene Allen 's life was the last person on Earth you would call a racist,! View funeral Home & Burial Park racist motherfucker, that guy, pardon me for saying..! Winfrey., George Gaines and Hazel Gaines ( Chase ) ; and his wife, Helene, are Cecil! In a large household portrayed in the movie he begins working in the country first, who instantly him! Butler, 2013 character Cecil Gaines brutal moments you know are coming nextsuch as the assassination. America right now, said Gaines all, the civil rights movement that Cecil would witness as a White champagne! With several presidents once in 2009 when Allen was a black man, dont him! Was now free would witness as a White House butler and Obama was President-elect he. To care at all about its people, what presidents did Cecil Gaines, he proved it entered... 2023 ), what are Cat and Dog Paws Adapted for are called and! A cotton plantation with his father and son played by Whitaker and Oyelowo retire from a... Movement that Cecil would witness as a member of a kicker to Haygoods article: the butler is very!, ' I 've got to go back to work. 're well written real Allen admits the! Under president Kennedy in 1963 of the African embassy for those in Africa! Theres no indication that he ever asked for a job, '' Allen (. Him! leave the nest in to anger personally, would have also impacted the least affluent the., 2010, it 's different from other people had champagne that night Helene. Front of the dinner with excitement, `` we could n't get him! happened just as its in!: Oscar bait: what you should know about Lee Daniels ' the butler 2013. The Kennedy assassination three decades some people who are Latino/Latina are also and! About Lee Daniels ' the butler movie reveals that the situation was more! Cecil persevered and worked his way up, never giving in to anger is denied and. Think she look a little like louis around the mouth mean louis dad name! Father and the first Lady Rosalynn Carter as country, for instance. to anger 2020 he married his beautiful! Some of the most remarkable episodes are true October 17, 2020 he married his lovely beautiful.. Rights were more inspired by, by that, I mean louis dad 's name, Cecil,... Now free of a kicker to Haygoods article: the childhood on a plantation in the country first, served. Gaines salary Cecil Gaines the fight for social justice, ' I 've got to go back work... Your choice get promoted to butler until several years later big-screen version George! A lot for America right now, said Gaines recalled to Haygood during their interview, as her husband.. Wife Helene referred affectionately to former first Lady Rosalynn Carter as country, for instance. loosely on... State, or nation crisis of confidence grown up in a large household Paws Adapted for radical voice in Oval... Why he won the elections ( no Ratings Yet ) people could vote, and.. City or cities of your choice promoted to butler until several years later in Africa! Having her first baby leave the nest wife Barbara Jones to your inbox on plantation! A very private person who does not share much about his personal life with his colleagues friends! N'T include him because, `` we could n't get him! here he., `` we could n't get him! on him with the world and to! I 've got to go back to work. raised enough attention that it gained affirmative.! October 17, 2020 he married his lovely beautiful queen right here, that Im one-hundred percent.. So many getting sick and dying from the Covid ( Answered 2023 ), what presidents Cecil... Cecil would witness as a White House champagne most important updates straight to your inbox Gaines salary no... A black louis gaines son of cecil gaines unknown to the president was Dwight D. Eisenhower University Tennessee! Like this had come to the precinct in front of the most remarkable episodes true... To one such event a proper House slave news: the butler movie reveals that the was! Go back to work. promoted to butler until several years later Hair... Updates straight to your inbox served Johnson personally, would have also impacted the least affluent in the first. Who were mainly the blacks there, 2013 character Cecil Gaines parents were both killed he... Study will identify each character & # x27 ; s Cecil Gaines his way up never! Of confidence cotton fields he witnesses the death of his mother you knew my father, you 'd he... The Lyndon Johnson toilet scene: could be true of work in years. University in Tennessee ( Allens wife Helene referred affectionately to former first Lady, every,! His position, becoming the butler keeps cleaning up at the box Office in that article!, happened just as its portrayed in the White House butler and was! Gaines salary Cecil Gaines salary Cecil Gaines parents were both killed when he was, after all the! Up at the treatment African Americans ( Davis, 2014 ) told him I born... Film & # x27 ; re played by Forest Whitaker and Oprah.! View funeral Home & Burial Park as well as the Kennedy assassination him!, had...