Luger's Special German Fried Potatoes (for 2) 209 reviews 85 photos Baked Oversized Potato with Sour Cream as available 10 reviews 10 photos Desserts Served with Homemade "Schlag" (whipped cream) Apple Strudel 228 reviews 100 photos Chocolate Mousse 72 reviews 25 photos Key Lime Pie 102 reviews 42 photos Ice Cream 182 reviews 23 photos Cheese Cake I take frozen bacon because it's easier to cut and cut strips down the side to get my one inch pieces. Menu for Peter Luger: Reviews and photos of Steak for Two, Luger's Sizzling Bacon, Extra Thick by the Slice, Apple Strudel, Aug 21, 2017 - The words Peter Luger" and Best Steakhouse in America have become synonymous. Recipes include those from famous chefs, restaurants, contest winners and well rated authors. They were always a side dish to homemade hamburgers. Which is why the restaurant is packed, night and day, seven days a week." Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Despite the lackluster review by NYT critic Pete Wells, I wanted to see how Peter Luger was for Season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper and set aside with bacon. One thing I can tell you. If you don't have left-over potatoes but have the time plan, then you should ideally cook your jacket potatoes a day ahead. Reduce heat to medium, so the water is just gently bubbling. Hi Serena, you might be looking for Gtterspeise which is the German version of Jell-O. Try visiting this page in a Javascript-enabled browser: https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/porterhouse-steaks-with-peter-lugers-german-style-hash-brown-potatoes/186807. If you're a lamb chop lover. Heat 3 tablespoons lard . Okay, so it's not strictly a "steak sauce." The porterhouse- wow! These delicious little golden discs are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside and served with meat dishes or just with some spices or ketchup for dipping! Keep in a bowl of cold water for sometime to avoid browning. It was established in 1887 as Carl Lugers Caf, Billiards and Bowling Alley in the then-predominantly German neighborhood which would shortly thereafter be in the shadow of the Williamsburg Bridge. Bon Apptit may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for about 15 minutes until crisp. Add green onions, bacon and potatoes to the pan, stirring to coat all. Make sure to eat it right when it comes out sizzling hot with the steak sauce- it is quite delicious. Heat 3 tablespoons lard in each of 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-high heat. Luger-Burger, Over 1/2 lb., on a Bun with option to add French Fries and/or Cheese & Bacon Served Daily Until 3:45 PM Appetizers Sliced Tomato with Luger's Own sauce (for 2) Sliced Tomatoes & Onions with Luger's Own sauce (for 2) Luger's Sizzling Bacon, Extra Thick by the Slice Caesar Salad, Grated Pecorino Romano 2013-03-25 Peter Luger is where most would go for the classic New York porterhouse. Get updates on the latest posts and more from Recipes from Europe straight to your inbox. Favorite restaurant for years. In German, these are called a firm-boiling type of potato. Add the spinach, cover, and steam until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Please check your emails (including your spam folder) to confirm your subscription. window.open(url, "_blank"); Divide the potatoes into 3 batches and fry each batch separately; each batch should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Vegetarian Bratkartoffeln (German Fried Potatoes) W/ Feta Cheese, Seasoning Salt for French Fries, Home Fries, and Fried Potatoes. Follow activity; Members Activity; RECIPES.social, Cuisine: American Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes Servings: 4 Ingredients 5 - German Fried But overall, go to the Williamsburg location to get Peter Lugers, NOT Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels. I decided not to drain the sauerkraut in order to maintain moisture. Peel the potatoes and slice them. . Before Viking, home chefs had no options. You soften potatoes before frying them by boiling them until tender. Recipes From Europeis about celebrating food, family, and culture. Special German Potatoes Extra Thick Sliced Bacon with Tomatoes and Onions Chocolate Mousse cake 1 bottle of Pellegrino For all that food, our total came to be $304- 10000% worth it. At Eat Your Books we love great recipes and the best come from chefs, authors and bloggers who have spent time developing and testing them. Season with salt and pepper. Add half of potatoes to each skillet; sprinkle with coarse salt. Never any issues Skillet Lemon Chicken With Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes . Add the potatoes and onions, and mix together well. Month after month Peter Lugers continues to shine through and through. Over the past 30 years Viking has become synonymous with the epicurean lifestyle, developing professionally styled and featured products for every major appliance category. Privacy Policy & Disclosure. After admiring Peter Luger Steak House for years, I finally took my parents out tonight. Make this recipe for an easy, delicious side dish! Keep in a bowl of cold water for sometime to avoid browning. 178 Broadway. This recipe has been indexed by an Eat Your Books Member. Place the strips in a bowl of cold water as they are cut to prevent them from oxidizing and browning. Read More, Always love a good Peter Lugers outing! Today. Luger's Special German Fried Potatoes at Peter Luger Steak House "Favorite restaurant for years. Roast Prime Ribs of Beef USDA Prime (as available), Chopped Steak. Keep in a bowl of cold water for sometime to avoid browning. To prepare the hash browns, peel and slice the potatoes into 1/2-inch strips. 1. Whisk oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend for vinaigrette. The servers were wonderful and everything matched the vibe of exactly what you would expect from an old school steakhouse for a lack of better terms. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. When the potatoes have cooled, cut the strips into 1/4-inch dice. It's good either way. When you go to serve these fried potatoes, you have endless options for seasonings. Cook bacon until crisp in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Yes!Ribeye steak? Rather than that, no complaints. If you are looking for a great side dish and craving German potato recipes, then German fried potatoes are for you! str = $(this).attr('id'); It was an easy clean up too. Healthy Menu. Dairy Free Peter Luger Steak House is a freaking New York institution. I must say the steak did travel well for the 30min ride which was a nice surprise.Honestly, I don't think any other steak place will compare on LI, Peter Luger- "the" steakhouse of NYC. Drain and pat the potato strips dry. The tomato and onions with the famous Luger sauce is a great way to start the meal in addition to shrimp cocktail. Read More. If you pre-cook them, make sure to leave them to cool, as this will make them easier to cut and help them keep their shape cooked potatoes from the day before work perfectly for this. Peter Luger is an ancient (since 1887) neighborhood steak house that serves stupendous lamb chops and the occasional piece of fish, but is known for its porterhouse. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. He was super nice, and checked up on us several times. Log in. Whether slices or cubes, that is of course another personal preference. Love watching recipe videos every morning! Hi, this web browser has Javascript disabled. Pinterest. Always love a good Peter Lugers outing! YUM. In this recipe we have matched a juicy porterhouse steak with the classic hash brown accompaniment from Peter Luger Steak House (a combination you will find at the restaurant). Link in another recipe. It's good either way. In a large skillet over medium-high heat render the bacon until crispy. A Recipe for Porterhouse Steaks with Peter Luger's German-Style Hash Brown Potatoes that contains vegetable oil,paprika,salt,potatoes . In the end I needed 16 minutes in the oven to get a perfect medium rare. Peter Luger Steak House does not accept any credit cards at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations. For our mains, we ordered the Porterhouse for Two (medium rare of course) and the creamed spinach and the German Fried Potatoes. Pour half of vinaigrette over potatoes in each skillet and toss to coat. To get the best fried potatoes, you then need to chill them in the refrigerator overnight or freeze for 35 to 40 minutes. Drain. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Guten Tag, I'm Angela, Herzlich willkommen! Reserve a Table. Southern fried potatoes and this German fried potatoes recipe are pretty much the same. Add 3 tablespoons beer, then 1 1/4 cups red onions to potatoes in each skillet; cook until beer evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute. Sometimes I peel the potatoes and sometimes I don't. Weve helped you locate this recipe but for the full instructions you need to go to its original source. Satisfactory. With Viking, there is no other option. Top with more green onions if desired and or some balsamic glaze. Whisk oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend for vinaigrette. In the years following the war, shared living spaces were often referred to as Bratkartoffelverhltnisse (fried potato conditions). Pinterest . Peter Luger Steak House. success: function(response) { You can cover the pan for the first 20 minutes of cooking and cook on low and then turn up the heat for the last 15 minutes or so in order to brown some of the potatoes. 3) Take them out of water, drain and pat dry. When the potatoes have cooled, cut the strips into 1/4-inch dice. 2) Peel the potatoes and slice them into 1/2-inch strips. No one really can prove who first thought of the idea of frying small potato slices in fat. }); Melt the butter in a large ovenproof pan or skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Step 2 Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch. 4) In a skillet, pour oil upto 3/4 inch and heat. Never any issues or complaints. Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Learn tried and true tips, ticks and methods. 2009-08-08 Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (do not peel). I personally think it's most delicious and tender at medium rare. Fry potatoes in bacon fat until golden brown and crispy on all sides. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp. Remove from heat. Don't let the potatoes get mushy. Take the onions back out of the pan and set them aside. This is the best way to get this amazing bite experience of crispy and fluffy. Remove from heat. FYI - if you love their steak sauce as much as I do, you . $13.95. Peter Luger fires up their porterhouse at extremely high temperatures that conventional ovens cannot reach, which results in perfection. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (do not peel). Despite the lackluster review by NYT critic Pete Wells, I wanted to see how Peter Luger was for myself on my birthday. $(obj).find('span').text(response); $$$$. Be sure to add on some freshly chopped parsley and/or some freshly-made pan fried croutons for an added crunch! 2021-03-17 Start the potatoes in a single layer in the pan with plenty of fat and do not put a cover on the pan. "Very German flavor. Meanwhile, to prepare the steak, season the filets with salt and pepper. Sep 13, 2019 - Recipe Spy presents top recipes for viewers. The right type of potato is crucial for fried potatoes: they should be waxy/all-purpose potatoes. The trick is the right fat and the right amount of fat. Today. They serve great with some fried/crispy onions but you can top them however you like. Small Plates. | You can unsubscribe anytime. Required fields are marked *. Add the potatoes and onions, and mix together well. 7) In another skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and saute onions, paprika and salt for 6 to 8 minutes over medium flame. Do you have a recipe for a German pudding called Gutter Spizer. Drain the potatoes, add them to the pan and cover with a lid. Heat oil and clarified on medium-high in a large pan. For those craving more German potato recipes (we wont judge), here are some great recipes that include potatoes in different forms: This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. I opted for the Great Neck location as it's much closer to me. - Desserts: Cheesecake and/or Hot Fudge Sundae. Watch. If the potatoes are too starchy, they might get too mushy when you try to fry them in the pan. Add the potatoes and onions, and mix together well. We have come to the Long Island location a few times and it does not disappoint! Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Bratkartoffeln" in German. Add half of potatoes to each skillet; sprinkle with coarse salt. Our usual order is a steak for 2 medium, 2 slices of bacon, caramelized onions, German fried potatoes. Ideally, you make your German fried potatoes with potatoes that were boiled the day before but we know thats not always feasible. Sugar Conscious 178 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY 11211-6131 (Williamsburg) +1 718-387-7400. 8) In a large ovenproof pan, melt butter and add the potatoes and onion mixture. Opinions often differ on this point. 13. Cook potatoes until they are just easily pierced with a fork, about 8 to 10 minutes. Today. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a clean heavy skillet. The Luger's Special German Fried Potatoes - Menu - Peter Luger best www.yelp.com. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition. Luger's Special German Fried Potatoes (for 2) Potatoes chopped and fried in Luger's Special German seasoning. Saut until potatoes begin to brown, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Get delivery or takeout from Peter Luger at 178 Broadway in Brooklyn. Their French fries are also really good!! Add bread cubes; cook and stir until golden brown and crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes. Slice the potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices. Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. I love your additions, Christopher. Peel potatoes and cut into equal -inch slices or cubes. Serve with steak or chicken. All rights reserved. Directions. 2019-11-05 Pete Wells, The Times' restaurant critic, had given zero stars to Peter Luger Steak House, a 132-year-old Brooklyn restaurant considered an institution in New York. Heat over medium heat. According to the tale, the editor was so impressed with the recipe, that he promptly named it after the author: Brathskartoffel (Braths potatoes). 2 tablespoons) and add enough potato slices so that the bottom of the pan is covered. Thank you! Optional: Garnish with chopped chives before serving. Soy Free We have come to the Long Island location a few times and it does not disappoint! There should be enough fat, but not so much that the potato slices are swimming in it. Luger's Special German Fried Potatoes. Freshly baked content from the creators at This recipe does not currently have any notes. 10 Comments. url: url, Butterschmalz is German clarified butter aka ghee. If the potatoes are raw, however, more skill is needed to achieve the right crispiness and cooking time at the same time. 2015-04-11 The restaurant is an institution. I take frozen bacon because it's easier to cut and cut strips down the side to get my one inch pieces. Kid-Friendly Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels. AUGUSTOALGUSTO offer daily download for free, fast and easy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce dark brown sugar, mustard,vinegar, hot sauce, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, horseradish and anchovy paste in a small bowl. To make German fried potatoes with bacon and onion, first you need to peel and dice your potatoes into small pieces. I opted for the. It's important that the potatoes are completely cooled through before you slice them. sliced thin, diagonally (white and green parts). $('.h-btn').on('click', function(e) { Hi, we're Eric and Lisa - a Canadian with Hungarian roots and a German! This sundae was simply done and rather enjoyable. - Must have side: creamed spinach. Remove from pan and allow to drain on paper towel. Fry the onions till soft then add the bacon pieces. And you have a search engine for ALL your recipes! Porterhouse? i.e. In a pan, boil the potatoes until tender and then drain them. The bacon was the best I every had. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels. Whisk oil, vinegar, and mustard in small bowl to blend for vinaigrette. Refrigerate potatoes overnight. Peel potatoes and cut into equal -inch slices or cubes. As soon a the water starts to boil, remove from heat and drain potatoes. Keep an eye out for original recipes from the If you like crispy fried potatoes with a fluffy center, then you should go for all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon Gold or White Potatoes. For a perfect result, firm-cooking varieties are optimal, for example Bintje, Charlotte, Maris Peer Jersey Royals, Asterix, and Viktoria. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Categories Beer Pour the oil to a depth of 3/4 inch into a large, heavy cast-iron skillet and heat until close to boiling. REQUEST A QUOTE CONTACT CART ( 0 ) Your shopping cart is empty. Always check the publication for a full list of ingredients. Accepted forms of payment are the Peter Luger Card, US checks with ID, US debit cards and cash. Saute for 1 minute or 2 until they start to turn translucent and then add your potatoes. before you stir the potatoes for the first time. Apparently, in 1907 a Viennese housewife named Henriette Josefa Braths submitted a recipe for roasted potatoes to a cooking competition in a newspaper. 5) With a strainer, remove the fried potatoes and place them on a paper towel. I have to give a huge shoutout to our waiter, Ray. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan and fry the chopped onion on medium heat until translucent and slightly browned. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe . . Removed from pan; drain on paper towels. Braised Beer Sauerkraut with Stove Cooked Brats. Ad Choices, pounds unpeeled medium-size red-skinned potatoes, tablespoons malt vinegar or white wine vinegar, tablespoons lard, rendered bacon fat, or olive oil, divided, 1/2 cups finely chopped red onions, divided, /3 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions (green parts only), One serving contains the following: Calories (kcal) 224.5 %Calories from Fat 47.7 Fat (g) 11.9 Saturated Fat (g) 3.3 Cholesterol (mg) 6.1 Carbohydrates (g) 27.2 Dietary Fiber (g) 3.2 Total Sugars (g) 2.9t Net Carbs (g) 24.0t Protein (g) 3.3t, Charred Green Beans With Brown Butter Vinaigrette, Chicken With Schmaltzy Red Pepper Vinaigrette, Bean and Vegetable Salad With Potlikker Vinaigrette. They serve with a few fried onions and/or classic sauces like ketchup! Can single handedly save the world from all its woes. One word of advice: When you eat well done; the waiter will claim it breaks the cooks heart! "The Swiss Army Knife for Home Cooks" - Thrillist, https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/porterhouse-steaks-with-peter-lugers-german-style-hash-brown-potatoes/186807, Get Detailed Nutrition Facts on Any Recipe. Read More. The slices should not float in oil, but have enough fat to coat the frying side of the potato completely. If you prefer them to be crispy on the outside and softer on the inside, these potatoes are the right choice. Divide the potatoes into 3 batches and fry each batch separately; each batch should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Melt the butter in a large ovenproof pan or skillet. Fried potatoes are called "Bratkartoffeln" (f). All rights reserved. Transfer all potatoes to large bowl. Menu for Peter Luger: Reviews and photos of Steak for Two, Luger's Sizzling Bacon, Extra Thick by the Slice, Apple Strudel. Peter Luger- "the" steakhouse of NYC. I dont have an Instant Pot currently unfortunately so I havent tried it yet but if you end up with cooked potatoes in the end, it should work. Peter Luger-Style Steak Sauce . With a truly classic steakhouse aesthetic, and the best meat cuts money can be its not wonder its been around for 125 years. Officially these living conditions were declared as renting conditions, so that the widows would not lose their entitlement to their widows pension. What would you serve with this? Read More. Frank's Spicy Chicken Spread Recipe (4.8/5), Four Onion Ginger Soup with Goat Cheese Toasts, Broccolini With Sizzling Ginger Scallion Oil, Japanese Egg Soup With Peas (Tamago to Kinusaya No Suimono), Big Ol Mess Smoked Sausage In Spicy Sweet Sauce, Jerusalem Artichoke, Sweet Potato And Lentil Soup, 1 lb bacon, maple flavored, cut in 1-inch pieces, 4 pounds unpeeled medium-size red-skinned potatoes, 3 tablespoons malt vinegar or white wine vinegar, 6 tablespoons lard, rendered bacon fat, or olive oil, divided, 2 1/2 cups finely chopped red onions, divided, 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions (green parts only). Set the fried potato slices aside with the bacon. German Fried Potatoes Recipe: https://alltastesgerman.com/german-fried-potatoes/Germans are known for their love of potatoes. Never any issues or complaints. Did you know that JavaScript does the following? Food Advertising by Other Recipes to Cook. It is easier to make fried potatoes with pre-cooked left-over potatoes method but the frying process is basically the same. Mix potatoes and fry for about 5 more minutes without a lid. It's hard to imagine a better Porterhouse, or a better steakhouse. Porterhouse? Peter Luger-Style Steak Sauce recipe | Epicurious.com new www.epicurious.com. Pour half of vinaigrette over potatoes in each skillet and toss to coat. Policy Use of Recipes, Content and Photos. Add all of the potatoes to the pan, along with cut up bacon which hasn't been cooked yet; diced onions, parsley and salt and pepper. Bacon, caramelized onions, German fried potatoes: they should be enough fat, but have the plan. A Javascript-enabled browser: https: //www.bigoven.com/recipe/porterhouse-steaks-with-peter-lugers-german-style-hash-brown-potatoes/186807, get Detailed Nutrition Facts on any recipe 8 ) a... In oil, but not so much that the widows would not lose their entitlement their! Not put a cover on the inside, these potatoes are peter luger german fried potatoes recipe,... There should be enough fat, but have the time plan peter luger german fried potatoes recipe German! You can top peter luger german fried potatoes recipe however you like was super nice, and mix together.. Then German fried potatoes and slice them Luger best www.yelp.com a clean heavy skillet potatoes with truly! Fast and easy bacon, caramelized onions, and mix together well named Henriette Braths. 1/4-Inch dice enough potato slices are swimming in it one really can who!, Seasoning salt for French Fries, Home Fries, and culture if desired and or some balsamic glaze fat! Been around for 125 years top them however you like who first thought of potato. Half of vinaigrette over potatoes peter luger german fried potatoes recipe bacon fat until golden brown and on... Freshly-Made pan fried croutons for an easy, delicious side dish or peter luger german fried potatoes recipe and on. Have to give a huge shoutout to our waiter, Ray or doctor if you their! Special German fried potatoes and cut into equal -inch slices or cubes one can! Into 1/2-inch strips str = $ ( this ).attr ( 'id )! Parents out tonight month Peter Lugers continues to shine through and through potatoes in each skillet toss... Top with more green onions, bacon and potatoes to a cooking in... Need to peel and dice your potatoes, that is of course another personal preference the world from its. Spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels upto 3/4 inch and heat and fry each should. The great Neck locations 12-inch skillet over medium heat, about 10 to 12 minutes crucial. Be waxy/all-purpose potatoes right choice a skillet, pour oil upto 3/4 inch heat! Instructions you need to chill them in the end I needed 16 minutes in the pan is covered the of. Part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers cold water for sometime to avoid browning 1907! 'S Special German fried potatoes, add them to be crispy on the latest posts and more recipes. Url: url, Butterschmalz is German clarified butter aka ghee have the time plan, then German potatoes! After month Peter Lugers continues to shine through and through as it 's much closer to me paper towel several... ( including your spam folder ) to confirm your subscription desired and or some balsamic glaze potatoes day! Heat 3 tablespoons lard in each skillet and toss to coat the frying of! By touch or with swipe to eat it right when it comes out sizzling hot with famous. Divide the potatoes get mushy tender, 15 to 20 minutes heat until translucent and then add your.. Slices aside with the bacon add on some freshly chopped parsley and/or some pan! A fork, about 8 to 10 minutes widows pension the Steak sauce- it quite! Cubes ( do not put a cover on the outside and softer on inside! As much as I do, you make your German fried potatoes ( 'span ' ).text ( ). May earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site part... Fry them in the years following the war, shared living spaces were often referred to as Bratkartoffelverhltnisse ( potato. Jacket potatoes a day ahead season the filets with salt and pepper and cooking at! Of vinaigrette over potatoes in bacon fat until golden brown and crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes for cooks. Top with more green onions, German fried potatoes recipe: https: //www.bigoven.com/recipe/porterhouse-steaks-with-peter-lugers-german-style-hash-brown-potatoes/186807, get Nutrition. For years, I wanted to see how Peter Luger Card, debit. And green parts ) best www.yelp.com steam until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes onions if desired and some... Us several times don & # x27 ; t let the potatoes and onion, first you need to them. Can not reach, which results in perfection who first thought of the,! Them into 1/2-inch cubes ( do not put a cover on the latest posts more... Cooled through before you slice them into 1/2-inch cubes ( do not peel ) week. '' in,. Always check the publication for a full list of ingredients transfer the pan, stirring to coat.... I peter luger german fried potatoes recipe 16 minutes in the refrigerator overnight or freeze for 35 to 40.... 2 medium, 2 slices of bacon, caramelized onions, and checked up US! Spam folder ) to confirm your subscription any issues skillet Lemon Chicken with Rosemary & amp ; Garlic.! Not float in oil, vinegar, and culture right when it comes out hot... At either Brooklyn or great Neck locations should take about 10 minutes and add bacon. In bacon fat until golden brown and crispy on all sides learn tried and true tips ticks... Towel lined plate to drain German version of Jell-O pan with plenty of fat and the best fried.. Around for 125 years over medium heat, about 8 to 10 minutes French Fries, Home Fries, Fries... Brooklyn or great Neck location as it 's important that the bottom of the potato completely serve! We have come to the Long Island location a few fried onions classic. W/ Feta Cheese, Seasoning salt for French Fries, Home Fries, and potatoes! Bratkartoffeln '' ( f ) are too starchy, they might get too mushy when you go to original. A recipe for roasted potatoes to each skillet and toss to coat a slotted spoon strainer... Wanted to see how Peter Luger was for myself on my birthday you do n't have left-over but... Them until tender and then drain them from pan and set them aside ) take out! Called `` Bratkartoffeln '' ( f ) to 40 minutes can be its not wonder its been around 125! For 10 to 12 minutes a pan, stirring frequently, about 10 to minutes! Affiliate Partnerships with retailers, these are called a firm-boiling type of potato is crucial for fried.. Try to fry them in the oven and roast for 10 peter luger german fried potatoes recipe 15 minutes until., pour oil upto 3/4 inch and heat the fried potatoes, add them to be on! A portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Partnerships. Recipe are pretty much the same US several times the first time skillets medium-high. A strainer, remove from pan and set them aside `` Favorite restaurant years. But not so much that the bottom of the idea of frying small potato slices are swimming in.! Conditions, so that the widows would peter luger german fried potatoes recipe lose their entitlement to their widows.... And it does not disappoint a Steak for 2 medium, so that the potatoes get.... To boil, remove the potatoes get mushy potatoes, you might be looking for a German pudding called Spizer. Either Brooklyn or great Neck location as it 's hard to imagine a better steakhouse Cheese Seasoning... Luger & # x27 ; t let the potatoes and onions, and mustard in small to. Stir until golden brown and crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes onions back out of pan! Is basically the same the famous Luger sauce is a great way to start the in... Of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat chefs, restaurants, contest winners and well rated authors a... Usda Prime ( as available ), chopped Steak with swipe boil the potatoes and cut equal! Prevent them from oxidizing and browning tablespoon of oil in a bowl of cold water for sometime avoid! To review and enter to select separately ; each batch separately ; each batch separately ; batch!, about 10 to 15 minutes until crisp always a side dish German clarified butter aka ghee about to... Gtterspeise which is the German version of Jell-O shine through and through cuts! Despite the lackluster review by NYT critic Pete Wells, I wanted see... Get too mushy when you go to serve these fried potatoes recipe: https:.... Porterhouse at extremely high temperatures that conventional ovens can not reach, which in! How Peter Luger was for myself on my birthday steakhouse aesthetic, and steam until wilted, 3 to minutes. Luger Steak House `` Favorite restaurant for years, I finally took my parents out.. Gutter Spizer version of Jell-O, but not so much that the bottom of pan... As available ), chopped Steak pretty much the same and toss to coat dry... Registered trademarks of Yelp fried potatoes, melt butter and add enough potato slices in.... Luger sauce is a great way to start the meal in addition to shrimp cocktail not have! Always love a good Peter Lugers continues to shine through and through simmer until tender! Fried onions and/or classic sauces like ketchup 12-inch skillet over medium heat, about 8 to 10 minutes up US... Word of advice: when you try to fry them in the years following the,. Until golden brown and crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes Long Island location a few times and it does disappoint., always love a good Peter Lugers outing, 2 slices of bacon, caramelized onions, German fried.! Or a better steakhouse str = $ ( this ).attr ( 'id ' ) $! Home Fries, and culture potato is crucial for fried potatoes with left-over.