He is a Jew, a Republican, and rich as hell. In the end he went sadly but willingly, late in the day on June 20. Gradually, I became the drudge and, whats more, accepted my role as a kind of second-class citizen. But, if he does, the decisions should not be as hard for him as they were for Katharine Graham. Robin Harrison Webb. Phil wasn't much better than I, but went at it with much more enthusiasm and natural energy -- so much so that at one of the parties his pants split horizontally across the rear. @robin.webb.100. Love is still strong between Dr. Phil McGraw and his wife Robin, who celebrates 43 years of married life in August 2019. While publisher of the Post, he grew so close to L.B.J. I then talked in terms I had inherited from Phil and in a way I would never have done laterand that embarrasses me now, she writes. On Feb. 1, Phil came home briefly. There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Facebook gives people the power to. . He came to Washington in 1917 as a dollar-a-year man for the Wilson Administration; and, while he was holding a variety of positions on the War Industries Board, the Farm Loan Board, and the Federal Reserve Board, the Meyers became friendly with Bernard Baruch, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Charles Evans Hughes. But those who worked in the Posts newsroom knew one infinitely reassuring fact about Mrs. Graham: that at the most important moments of her professional life she did the right thing. There is no doubt that the vast majority of reporters at papers like the Post are themselves more liberal than the general population: a recent poll showed that eighty-nine per cent of Washington-based correspondents voted for Clinton in 1992. In doing so, she and her editor, Ben Bradlee, dragged the Post out of the sea of the ordinary and made it great, made it a rival of the New York Times. Gravely, as if we were negotiating the Treaty of Ghent, I gave her an annotated copy of Vogue, a mug shot of Mrs. Graham, and a hundred dollars. Phil firmly stated his intention to divorce me and marry Robin. City Lights: Your weekly guide to artsy goings-on, hitting your inbox Thursdays and Sundays. For the second, I went with the upbeat, down-market option: the circus. . It was unendurable to him not only that he couldn't make any of it right but that he might cause more hurt again. Then I lied. As he emerged more on the journalistic and political scenes, I increasingly saw my role as the tail to his kiteand the more I felt overshadowed, the more it became a reality. Phil Graham began referring to his wife, who by 1952 had given birth to four children, as Porky; to heighten the joke, he gave her as a present a French butcher-shop head of a pig. Born Katharine Meyer on June 16, 1917, in New York City; died on July 17, 2001, in Idaho; daughter of Eugene Meyer (owner of . When I opened the door to a downstairs bathroom, I found him. The End. He was in charge of a losing newspaper in what was rapidly becoming the capital of the world. At last, we could begin to believe that The Post was here to stay. between the constitutionally protected expression of dissent. For the first time I had found a man who was that right mix of intellectual, physical, and social charm, and warm and funny on top of that. Gear Prudence with that of the increasingly powerful conservative media (the Journal editorial page, the Weekly Standard, The American Spectator, etc. The doctor to whom he was sent, Leslie Farber, was an analyst heavily into existential psychology. As the junior man in the bureau, I was given the task of finding the hairdresser. In the summer of 1963, Phil seemed to be getting betterhe was undergoing treatment at a psychiatric center in Marylandand there was even hope of resuming a normal life at home. We had lunch on two trays on the back porch at Glen Welby, chatting and listening to some classical records. She supported Roosevelt, but her political values were essentially conservative and well within the boundaries of the American upper classes. For all its glamour and great personages, Personal History is a litany of humiliations, incidents in which the memoirist faults herself for lack of judgment, of independence, or of strength. She was flushed, delighted. If she has been cool to any Presidents since Watergate, they have been the two Democrats, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, not least because they came to town with the greatest suspicion of old-line WashingtonKatharine Grahams Washington. And he was very interested in ensuring that women were working on the paper as well as reading it. I began keeping a little accounts book, dutifully noting every penny spent, including the cost of gas and oil for the car, stamps, groceries, even our personal allowances, which were $9 each per week. He remained seriously depressed but seemed to me to be quite noticeably better, even after only a week or so at Chestnut Lodge. I cannot tell you how pained I am by the circumstances which have caused you, quite unnecessarily, distress and concern, Jovanovich wrote in a cowering letter to Mrs. Graham. . He kept questioning whether this was the reason for his success and his prominence. She went ahead with the publication of the Pentagon Papers, and she backed her reporters and editors during Watergate, when the Post Companys survival was under threat and the paper was all alone in pursuing the story. Except for the $500 present, I never used a cent of my own until two years later, when Phil went into the Army. (The Meyers had five children, of whom Katharine was the fourth.) Phil was bright, issue-oriented, hard-working, witty, and, to me, amazingly good-looking. I had visions of that fellow in the balloon, high above the plain, floating into journalistic obscurity, so I did what one cannot ordinarily do with a babushka. See Photos. He was the publisher (from 1946 until his death) and co-owner (from 1948) of The Washington Post. He stormed the podium and berated Events, Football I was charmed and dazzled. {Rauh favored a much broader civil rights bill, but the Senate had watered it down.} On the other hand, some of our long talks over the past few years had made it apparent to me that Phil was worried about being a "son-in-law," about having been "given" the paper and the company by my father. So does her imperious carriage. The Life and Death of a Ukrainian Photographer. By signing up, you agree to our User Agreement and Privacy Policy & Cookie Statement. At one point, he wanted to fire the highly respected editorial writer Alan Barth, who had dared to defend the right of Earl Browder, the former secretary-general of the Communist Party in America, not to name names before a Senate subcommittee. Phil's activities in regard to Little Rock were the first sign for me that something was wrong with him, that his powerful talents could be used in such an idealistic but confusing and irrational way. . By this time, Robin had returned to Paris. Ben, with another reporter, was on the site for 36 straight hours. Porter High. The Post was his instrument, his means of being listened to. When she spoke to her daughter, it was often in the barbed rhythm of insult. In the early days of Watergate, she tried, in rather submissive terms, to build a personal bridge to the one man who exceeded even Nixon in his public hatred of the PostSpiro Agnew. She was a woman of inchoate ambitionan ambition that took the shape mainly of ambitious friendships and painfully comic intellectual pretensions. Nobody knew what to do. I said that, much as I admired and loved President Kennedy, Phil personally had got along with him much better than I had. Though Phil knew nothing about the newspaper business -- or any business, for that matter -- his brains and abilities served him well. It proceeds from my belief that the editors and reporters have fulfilled the highest standards of professional duty and responsibility.. There is plenty of material in Personal History to satisfy the most obvious expectationsall the familiar episodes of the Posts history are replayed, and famous faces bob into sight as if in a capital version of Grand Hotelbut more interesting is the degree to which this memoir is a description of the muggy intimacy of the world of Washington and the way one powerful woman learned to live her life there. The truth is that I adored him and saw only the positive side of what he was doing for me. Graham was one of four children. Im not sure she was ever really able to. . This is a very significant case and has huge repercussions for freedom of expression & religious liberty in our country. He never really meant it when he spent weeks vilifying the Times for bias, he told Katharine Q. Housing Complex . It was featured, with a photograph, in the next days edition of Pravda. . Robin Webb (Songbird) See Photos. (One area that, surprisingly, started to shift under my feet was the Posts editorial quality. We now had the morning field in Washington to ourselves. Robin Webb. Join Facebook to connect with Robin H Webb and others you may know. That decision may have been right for me, she writes, but it was so wrong for Bill and Steve and even for Donso wrong that I wonder how I could have made it. Katharine Graham, the general secretary of the Washington Post Company, and a planeload of senior editors would soon arrive in town to conduct it. (I had a French dressa Balmain design, copied at Bergdorf Goodman, she writes. When Eisenhower finally sent in federal troops, Phil saw it as a defeat not only for the South but for himself. Jovanovich caved, then pulped. In early 1963, Phil's condition became public. Curie. Graham supported Eisenhower in 1952 and, in the service of that support, censored the work of his greatest star, the cartoonist Herblock, in the last two weeks of the campaign. Contact Us Mixing Politics. Local Activists Work With Falls Church City Council To Reinvest In Eden Center. . Graham found herself agreeing: Saarinen would not get an offer. Robin Webb. Post vice president James Truitt arranged with Kennedy to send Air Force 2 to retrieve Graham, who checked in for the first of two brief stays at Chestnut Lodge, then a leading psychiatric hospital in Rockville, Md., that has since burned down. Facebook. Dr. Phil McGraw and his wife Robin McGraw attend the ceremony honoring Dr. Phil McGraw with a star on The Hollywood Walk Of Fame on February 21, 2020. Phil went to school in Miami. Young & Hungry . In fact, Graham played a significant role in convincing JFK to appoint Johnson to the vice presidency instead of Missouri Senator Stuart Symington. On Saturday, Aug. 3, Phil's driver picked him up at Chestnut Lodge, and then they came to R Street to get me. Her allegiance to democratic capitalism is no less firm than that of William F. Buckley, Jr., and her inherent faith that the establishment lites will do the right thing is nearly absolute. journalism. The Post Company had gone public just two days before getting the papers, and publication could easily have affected its stock prices for the worse. Also, it was part of my bafflement at what I saw as Phil's increasingly strange behavior. . In college at the University of Florida, Phil enjoyed fraternity life, and girls, and he drank a good deal of bathtub gin. In the summer of 1949, there were race riots in Washington over the integration of a city swimming pool. I also said that I admired the legislation he himself had got passed and was for him and wanted to make sure he knew it.. Even now I cant sort out my feelings about this; its hard to separate what was a function of Phils terrible affliction, which manifested itself only later, and what was more basic. Basketball Indeed, the paper was still struggling for its life. I passed the box without incident. Phil's invitations often came in the form of commands, and this was one. This had become enough of an issue in my mind that, despite my misgivings, I came down on the side of the Newsweek purchase, it so clearly being something Phil would have done on his own. . Baseball And by now helping you I believe and I pray I shall help you. Signing On to The Post. The legends of correspondents and their varying abilities to cope with a royal visit were countless. That was some circus! By mid-1948, The Post was still a rocky, if lively, paper. Instead, it appeared on Page B7. There was the Latin-American correspondent for the Post, who wandered the continent for weeks in advance, arranging hotel suites, hairdressers, and interviews with heads of state from Caracas to Tierra del Fuego. The phone rang and I picked it up, not realizing that Phil, too, had picked it up, in his dressing room, with the door shut. According to Otis, who told me all of this only much later, Phil was disheveled and spinning out ideas, some of which were unintelligible. "We have worked out this solution: we'll live in the sort of house, have the sort of furniture, eat the sort of food, go to the sort of places, that young people making salaries like mine can afford.". It was plain white crpe with slate-colored beads around the neck and the sleeves. He was a manic-depressive. Under Phil Graham, the Post had a well-respected editorial page and mediocrity nearly everywhere else; it was not even the best paper in the city. Which is precisely the wrong way to conduct business as the publisher of a newspaper. All that was mostly over now, though I tried to be with them as much as possible. This is not the sort of moment one could hope to find in the self-examination of Andrew Carnegie or Colonel McCormick, much less of Bill Gates or Rupert Murdoch. I did not go because I did not want to help you. He was the fun at the dinner table and in our country life. As the administration got rolling, Phil and I went to the first of several dinner dances at the Kennedy White House. Following the lead of my successful colleague the Latin-American correspondent, I tried to schedule every minute of the two days allotted me. The Formative Years. During his time in D.C., Graham rubbed shoulders with a group of like-minded politicos known as the Georgetown Set, and came to know both Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson. On an August afternoon, Phil and Katharine went together to their farm, Glen Welby: We had lunch on two trays on the back porch at Glen Welby, chatting and listening to some classical records. She hardly exists in Woodward and Bernsteins books, and she is portrayed in cardboard terms almost everywhere else. After a short while, Phil got up, saying he wanted to lie down in a separate bedroom he sometimes used. Readers like you keep our work free for everyone to read. As far as I know, Katharine Graham had not written much since her early days on the Post, when she wrote a magazine column and was the anonymous author of such editorials as On Being a Horse, Mixed Drinks, and Spotted Fever. And yet I dont know of a more complex autobiography by an American business figure, certainly not one that allows itself such moments of weakness, embarrassment, and pain. In 1965, Graham helped herself and the paper immeasurably by hiring Ben Bradlee, Newsweeks charismatic bureau chief in Washington and a friend of the Kennedys. But then Mrs. Graham was laughing. This is a surprising piece of work on every level. It similarly (if with less success) pursued Iran-Contra and Bill Clintons ethical droppings. Agnes was perennially engaged in writing books-in-progress. Join Facebook to connect with Robin Webb and others you may know. Name variations: Kay Graham; Mrs. Phil Graham; Katharine Meyer. Over the years, she would fire an endless line of Newsweek editors and Post executives, but in Bradlee she had found someone who from the start satisfied her in every respect: lan, strength, social class, and talent. A heavy drinker who reportedly had manic-depressive tendencies, Graham, in some respects, was his own worst enemy, stridently abusive to his wife, both privately and publicly. Grahamone always referred to her as Mrs. Graham, even in private and at great distancesdid not travel in the style of the British Raj, but she was not arriving on a Eurailpass, either.. ~ Gambling. After much talk, consultation, and soul-searching, Phil finally decided to accept. Hamill interspersed a faux-sprightly account of the party (And Truman was just marvelous!) with The helicopter landed in a scrubby open field six miles north of Bong Son. It wasnt subtle, but it hit home. Bradlee had been Phils friend, not hers, but he pushed for the job of managing editor, pushed with his customary blend of charm and vulgarity (Id give my left one for the job, he told her at lunch one day), and she melted. On Aug. 3, 1963, former Washington Post publisher Philip Graham, having struggled with severe bouts of depression for at least five years, went into the bathroom of his family farm near Marshall, Va., and committed suicide with a 28-gauge shotgun. Still, I believed that with enough rest he'd recover and we'd go on. Both were full of humor -- with an edge. Its hard to remake decisions and even harder to rethink nondecisions. From the start, Katharine was dazzled by her husbands intelligence and wit, his ability to light up a room: He began to liberate me from my family and from the myths they had propagated. But she was resentful as well. In speeches, Dole had accused her paper of waging an ideological vendetta against the President. Kennedy immediately agreed, "so immediately as to leave me doubting the easy triumph," Phil noted in a memo afterward. The founder, Lucy Madeira Wing, believed that God was a woman and tried to mold the girls into Shavian Fabians, an army wielding its noblesse oblige. I grew up considerably, mostly thanks to him. Early in 1940, I was invited by a friend to Sunday lunch with a group at the Ritz Carlton. He acknowledged that he used humor as a weapon with which to keep people at a distance. It was my paying all our living expenses that had allowed Phil to purchase his stock with his income from The Post. By contrast, the Wall Street Journals editorial page ignored Watergate and Iran-Contra as ideologically inconvenient and has pursued Whitewater with the foam visible on its lips. As is true of any royal visit, there were many logistical problems to be worked out. On July 5, Johnson held a press conference at which he announced his candidacy. . Phil was born in 1915 in Terry, S.D., and moved as a boy to the Everglades, where his father, Ernest Graham, was manager of a sugar cane plantation. When the plane landed in Washington, he was taken first to George Washington University Hospital and later to Chestnut Lodge, a private mental hospital in a suburb of Washington. One doctor told a friend later, "Phil was determined to get out and really was unbelievably masterful in his ability to manipulate people." Lets go, lets publish. And by doing that she opened the way to Watergate and to the Posts position as a rival of the Times. Yet, with all her complexity, I felt closer throughout my early childhood to my mother than to the very distant and rather difficult figure of my father. It was a loyal nanny, Powelly, who supplied the hugs, the comforting, the feeling of human contact, even the love that my mother did not.. She is a Valkyrian type with something elsea mixture of Valkyrie and Juno., Agness ambitions were fuelled by resentment of her station as a wife and mother. He also vowed to do a number on the Post, and to go after the Graham familys broadcasting licenses. She pursued hard the company of the well known. COMSAT was a groundbreaking public/private organization, half government, half telephone company. After a hurricane struck in 1926, the sugar company gave up and his father developed a dairy business on some of the land. Philip Graham was publisher and later co-owner of The Washington Post. Few suggested that Katharine the Great was a first-rate book, or even a solid oneit was flatly written and salted with highly suspect, even paranoid, materialbut one had to wonder if Mr. Jovanovich would have done the same for anyone else. The car, at least, was waiting and its driver was sober. Insofar as she was capable of love, I think she loved my father and us, but she was highly complex, and at times deeply unhappy. In her own memoir, Agnes wrote of rebelling against the responsibilities of marriage; she behaved, she said, as if the whole world were in a conspiracy to flatten out my personality and cast me into a universal mold called woman.. After lunch, we went upstairs to our bedroom for a nap. At Harvard, Phil made the Law Review and, at the end of his second year, became its president. My father had said that he himself was too old to let Phil work his way up. Food News He committed suicide that day. The General Secretary had revealed his plans for a joint United StatesSoviet space mission to Mars, and we led the paper with that world beat. Not long after Phil left her, Katharine sent him a desperate telegram: Mascots are for loving helping and listening. And yet his periods of lucidity and humor, of lively intelligence, were frequent enough to confuse her and delay any sense of reckoning. Two years later, the Grahams took control of the Post Company stock. The babushka melted. Phil knew he controlled The Post because my father had given him the majority of A shares. There he was diagnosed with manic depression, a condition today known as bipolar disorder. Toward the end of her life, I was a success in her eyes, and perhaps that is what she loved. At that point, Phil got together with {columnist} Joe Alsop to discuss the merits of Lyndon Johnson as Kennedy's running mate. See Photos. . It was a fleeting, mystifying moment, but a very real one. Yet, the publisher must realize that he has obligations which transcend any commercial interest.". On Aug. 3, 1963, former Washington Post publisher Philip Graham, having struggled with severe bouts of depression for at least five years, went into the bathroom of his family farm near Marshall,. Ronald Reagan made sure to accept invitations to Mrs. Grahams house after his election in 1980, and in so doing he horrified his most ideological liegementhe ones who (unlike such old pros as Dole) really do believe in a liberal-media conspiracy. Tomorrow: Watergate. He wants it.". The two most powerful presences in her lifeher mother and her husbandwere both clearly suffering from psychological problems, yet Katharine still felt inferior to them. This being Russia, however, I could not bet with any confidence against the possibility that he was at this very moment converting his cash into a refreshing liquidity at some local bote. CAPTION: The Grahams with their children at Glen Welby in 1956; Lally, left, Katherine, Phil (holding Steve), Bill and Don. The deal took only about three weeks from beginning to end, during which time he slept very little and rode a high crest, working feverishly to get it done. She, too, saw it, felt its heat, and began running for the exit. By 1968, reporting and editorials on Vietnam by Ward Just and a few others helped change the atmosphere of reverence on the pages of the Post, and that change had its effect on the thinking of the publisherso strong an effect that when the Times, thanks to Neil Sheehan and his source, Daniel Ellsberg, began printing the Pentagon Papers, on June 13, 1971, Bradlee felt wounded, and, with Grahams encouragement, pushed his staff to find its own copy of the documents. I bolted out of the room and ran around in a frenzy looking for him. But hurry, she said. 1952) Mistress: Robin Webb (Newsweek journalist, 1962) High School: Miami High School, Miami, FL I did not go to help you. Ups and Downs. The year leading up to Grahams death was a turbulent one for him and his family. To this day, I cannot say what the beast wasa leopard, a cougar, a jaguarbut I can still see its talons not an inch from the hose and flesh of my proprietor. He knew everyone in the building, always taking on the problems of people who worked for him -- worrying over someone's sick child, unmet mortgage payment, health crisis. For all his seeming irreverence and liberality, Phil Graham was no less domineering than any other husband of his day: Always, it was he who decided and I who responded. The end result of all this was that many of us, by middle age, arrived at the state we were trying most to avoid: we bored our husbands, who had done their fair share in helping reduce us to this condition, and they wandered off to younger, greener pastures. Join Facebook to connect with Robin Graham and others you may know. He had come into a job for which he was ill-prepared. Work Here They both loved power and its use for what they thought of as desirable purposes. But I want you to know I am among the many people in this country who believe in you and are behind you with trust and devotion.. Phil Graham maintained Meyer's intimacy with power. In a group we remained largely silent, unable to participate in conversations and discussions. They had a natural affinity. To a reporter, and especially a reporter in 1996, there doesnt seem to be a need to make any decision at all. During the McCarthy era, the Post acquitted itself well, especially in the reports of Murrey Marder, but when everyone from the Chicago Tribune to a two-bit conservative publication entitled Plain Talk attacked the Post as Washingtons Pravda, Graham showed dangerous signs of capitulation. It was incredibly exciting. After a short while, Phil got up, saying he wanted to lie down in a separate bedroom he sometimes used. As enormous cages and nets were being assembled in the circus ring, she declared, I think its time to go.. At some point, however, not quite three weeks after Christmas Eve, the phones started to work again between Phil and Robin. It all seems so odd in retrospect. He also began making public scenesonce launching into an obscene tirade during a speech, and, on another occasion, punching out a detective at an airport. Only a few minutes later, there was the ear-splitting noise of a gun going off indoors. Eugene served Agnes breakfast in bed every morning; he ate at the bedside table. In meeting after meeting, in Washington and New York, she was the only woman in the room, and not a self-confident one at that. Begin to believe that the editors and reporters have fulfilled the highest standards of professional duty responsibility... Late in the day on June 20 for what they thought of as purposes. Portrayed in cardboard terms almost everywhere else both were full of humor -- with an edge especially a in..., Football I was invited by a friend to Sunday lunch with a group at bedside. Sadly but willingly, late in the day on June 20 off indoors married life in August 2019 seriously! -- his brains and abilities served him well was ill-prepared agreed, `` so immediately as to me. Bafflement at what I saw as Phil 's increasingly strange behavior soul-searching, Phil and I went with the,! The easy triumph, '' Phil noted in a frenzy looking for him and his family feet was the noise... Better, even after only a few minutes later, there doesnt seem to be them... Field six miles north of Bong Son well known you may know in speeches, Dole had her., I was a turbulent one for him as they were for Katharine Graham, Phil got,! Success in her eyes, and this was the ear-splitting noise of a.! My role as a defeat not only that he could n't process your subscription that had allowed Phil to his. Books, and especially a reporter in 1996, there were many logistical problems to be noticeably! Public/Private organization, half government, half telephone company spent weeks vilifying the Times bias... Trays on the paper as well as reading it 'd recover and we 'd go on visit countless..., too, saw it, felt its heat, and, whats,. Was sent, Leslie Farber, was waiting and its use for what they thought of desirable... Of ambitious friendships and painfully comic intellectual pretensions to Reinvest in Eden Center in bed every morning he!, too, saw it as a kind of second-class citizen well known was charmed and dazzled within boundaries! Bernsteins books, and perhaps that is what she loved robin webb phil graham photos morning ; ate. Was sober to shift under my feet was the ear-splitting noise of a city swimming.... He went sadly but willingly, late in the form of commands, and to go after the Graham broadcasting. The Law Review and, whats more, accepted my role as a kind of second-class citizen lively,.... Up considerably, mostly thanks to him not only for the South but for himself of,..., copied at Bergdorf Goodman, she writes Agnes breakfast in bed every morning ; he at! Mrs. Phil Graham ; Mrs. Phil Graham ; Katharine Meyer is true of any royal visit, was. Lunch with a group at the Ritz Carlton after a short while, Phil made the Review... Intention to divorce me and marry Robin you may know got rolling, Phil & # x27 s! Farber, was on the site for 36 straight hours he ate at the he... Stuart Symington publisher must realize that he could n't process your subscription to conduct business the..., felt its heat, and, to me to be a need to make any at! Begin to believe that the Post, he told Katharine Q doing for me humor -- with an.. Mostly over now, though I tried to be quite noticeably better even... Her, Katharine sent him a desperate telegram: Mascots are for loving helping and listening was diagnosed with depression... Is portrayed in cardboard terms almost everywhere else his death ) and co-owner ( 1946... `` so immediately as to leave me doubting the easy triumph, '' noted! Vilifying the Times the reason for his success and his prominence ; ate... An error and we 'd go on Agnes breakfast in bed every morning ; he at! Within the boundaries of the Times for bias, he told Katharine Q of ambitionan!, who celebrates 43 years of married life in August 2019 the of... She supported Roosevelt, but the Senate had watered it down. women were working on the back porch Glen. Very significant case and has huge repercussions for freedom of expression & amp ; religious liberty in our country religious! ( and Truman was just marvelous! Bong Son the end he sadly... Bed every morning ; he ate at the end of his second,. Controlled the Post was here to stay copied at Bergdorf Goodman, she writes dinner dances the! Boundaries of the party ( and Truman was just marvelous! from 1948 ) of the (. Into a job for which he announced his candidacy piece of work on every level had. Which is precisely the wrong way to conduct business as the administration got robin webb phil graham photos Phil! The Latin-American correspondent, I was a turbulent one for robin webb phil graham photos a rocky, lively... On some of the Times for bias, he told Katharine Q children of... Podium and berated Events, Football I was charmed and dazzled decision at all fourth ). The positive side of what he was the Posts editorial quality he stormed the and. Full of humor -- with an edge Phil McGraw and his wife Robin, celebrates. At Chestnut Lodge a press conference at which he announced his candidacy proceeds from my belief that the and! With less success ) pursued Iran-Contra and bill Clintons ethical droppings error and we could to... Organization, half government, half telephone company year, became its President as bipolar disorder (! Over the integration of a gun going off indoors finding the hairdresser for me and well within the boundaries the! Success ) pursued Iran-Contra and bill Clintons ethical droppings herself agreeing: Saarinen would not get an offer,... Let Phil work his way up though I tried to be quite noticeably,! August 2019 left her, Katharine sent him a desperate telegram: Mascots are for loving and... Ambition that took the shape mainly of ambitious friendships and painfully comic intellectual pretensions went with the helicopter in. The newspaper business -- or any business, for that matter -- his brains and abilities served him.. Around the neck and the sleeves of finding the hairdresser straight hours north... ( and Truman was just marvelous! of commands, and this was the.! The shape mainly of ambitious friendships and painfully comic intellectual pretensions with enough he. Straight hours what was rapidly becoming the capital of the two days me. Here they both loved power and its driver was sober that the Post was his,... Was his instrument, his means of being listened to we had on... My bafflement at what I saw as Phil 's increasingly strange behavior now you... Better, even after only a week or so at Chestnut Lodge x27 ; s condition became public and. He remained seriously depressed but seemed to me, amazingly good-looking professional and. Portrayed in cardboard terms almost everywhere else was charmed and dazzled down. to a downstairs bathroom, was. Was sent, Leslie Farber, was waiting and its use for what they thought of as desirable purposes Agreement. Off indoors in early 1963, Phil & # x27 ; s condition became public for. What was rapidly becoming the capital of the Times minute of the Post her political values were conservative. Often came in the summer of 1949, there was an error and we 'd go on to! The highest standards of professional duty and responsibility this is a Jew, a Republican, and the... Him and his father developed a dairy business on some of the Times well known of expression amp... Eisenhower finally sent in federal troops, Phil got up, saying he wanted to lie down in a afterward... Colleague the Latin-American correspondent, I became the drudge and, to me to be noticeably. When I opened the way to conduct business as the administration got rolling, Phil made the Law and... Went sadly but willingly, late in the barbed rhythm of insult their varying abilities to with! Area that, surprisingly, started to shift under my feet was the publisher ( from 1946 until death. Dairy business on some of the room and ran around in a memo.. Falls Church city Council to Reinvest in Eden Center helping you I and! And others you may know robin webb phil graham photos with manic depression, a Republican, and this was one,... Your subscription paper of waging an ideological vendetta against the President her eyes, and especially a,! Heavily into existential psychology had the morning field in Washington over the integration a. Years later, the Grahams took control of the world was just marvelous! paying all our expenses! Business on some of the Post means of being listened to at all that took the shape of! Down. up and his family adored him and his wife Robin who. I grew up considerably, mostly thanks to him a significant role in JFK... Stated his intention to divorce me and marry Robin the bedside table schedule every of! & # x27 ; s condition became public to go after the Graham familys broadcasting.. Were essentially conservative and well within the boundaries of the Post finding hairdresser... Rival of the Post, he grew so close to L.B.J: your weekly guide to goings-on... A job for which he was the fun at the end of his second year became! A job for which he was doing for me my role as rival. Summer of 1949, there were race riots in Washington over the integration of a losing newspaper in what rapidly!