Soak for a couple of hours and drain off the water. Cook for 6 hours on low. This is the method to use if you want to cook fresh green beans so they are soft! 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon pepper directions Put turkey necks, broth, garlic, onion, and seasonings in a pot and bring to a boil. 4) Add enough stock to cover the beans and neckbones. Wash the collard greens thoroughly and pat dry. Add cover to pot and reduce heat to simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. Described as a love letter to the city, Kevin explains in his new cookbook how he learned to barbecue by visiting his great aunt, Granny, in Texas every summer as a child. Strain the broth and chill it, and then remove the hardened fat from the top. This recipe calls for green beans and white potatoes to be cooked up with the meat and served on a bed of rice. Its cold in N.J. today and this meal was Perfect for the family. 4 pounds of pork neck bones 1 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon ground black pepper Instructions: Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Discard bones. Rub 3/4 of this mixture into the pork neck bones; set the neck bones and remaining seasoning aside. Servings: 10 to 12 main course (around 1-1/2 cups/bowl). Add butter and turn heat up to a medium simmer to warm thoroughly before . Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. 2. Cover and lower the temperature to low and let the collard greens simmer for 3 hours. (You should be able to wash and prepare the collard greens while you make the broth.) Add the beans, Serranos (or jalapeos), chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne and stir to incorporate. Repeat two more times. This site includes pages for: over 12 years of blog postings, Roses books, 100s of baking recipes, 150 Rose Levy Beranbaum demonstration videos, answering baking questions, and a Recipe of the Month. Bring back to boil, then lower heat to low. Cover the neck bones with 2 to 3 inches (5.1 to 7.6 cm) of water. Bring water to a boil. Bring water to a boil. You know how you always have those 1/4 full bags of beans, that you dont want to waste so you quickly thing of something to do with them? fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half or thirds crosswise. Mise en Place * Chopped the onions into 1/4 inch pieces * Chopped the garlic to finely chopped * Slice and chop the carrots into 1/2 inch pieces. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. James Malach 2022-12-07. Tucking a few pieces of neck bone into your favorite dish of lentils, black-eyed peas, navy beans, garbanzos or even slow-cooked green beans utterly transforms the end result. Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Add 24 oz of little petite potatoes . Serve the Soup 21) Reheat the soup over medium heat. There's nothing else like them. Any number of soups from around the world rely on a piece of smoked pork for their base of flavor. If you use water, add some powdered chicken bullion for flavor. Be sure to rinse these suckers before you cook them. . Add the seasoning salt, onion powder, and accent to the 6-8 cups of water. You can get this at any Mexican or Hispanic grocery store. Cover, turn the heat to a gentle boil, and cook for about 1 hour, allowing the neck bones to begin to cook and flavor the broth. Repeat two more times. After simmering for 1-1/2 hours the meat should be tender. Cook your rice according to the package instructions. cant wait, Hi Tina! cup chopped onions salt and pepper to taste 1 tablespoon olive oil 2 teaspoon better than bouillon or Haitian Epis Instructions Gather the ingredients. The beans will thicken up a little bit more as well. Growing up down south, this inexpensive meat and rice meal was a family favorite, both worked well on a tight budget. Cover the pot, and cook for 45 minutes. Then stir the ingredients. Turn heat down and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Drain beans and mix with hamburger, either in casserole dish or a crock pot. Rose is also the designer of bakeware and kitchen tool products, including her Synglas non-stick rolling pin. Transfer the neck bones and liquid to a large pot. However, Bludso's southern pinto peans recipe, whew. Sort and rinse the peas, discarding any discolored peas. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Hey, we're Marrekus and Krysten! Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, adding water when needed. Easy Baked Pork Chops and Stuffing Recipe, 2 to 3 pounds pork or beef neckbones, small to medium sized with meat. baked beans, cornbread, and potatoes. These southern style green beans with bacon and onions are the perfect addition to any down-home comfort food dinner. You will notice the stock changing color from a gold to a olive green. Serious Eats: The Nasty Bits -- Using Smoked Meats in Soups, Nibble Me This: Smoked Pork and Lima Beans -- Simplicity Shines, MyRecipes.com: Southern Living -- Southern Style Collard Greens, Cook's: Seasoning Ham -- Smoked Pork Neckbones. Stored in an airtight container, the beans willlast in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days. Make the Soup 2) Empty the beans into the crock pot and remove any rocks. June 10, 2022 by cooks with soul 2 Comments. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Add diced onion and carrots to the pot and saute for a few minutes. Lacking the glamor of sizzling steaks or juicy roasts, inelegant cuts such as pork neck bones are seldom at the center of a meal. A definite keeper of a recipe. 11) Add enough stock to cover the ingredients. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes to create the pork broth. I ate this meat so much that I lost the taste for this dish for a while. Privacy Policy. Don't expect to Remove the leaves from the main stems. Chile peppers, chili powder, and cayenne give these creamy, savory beans the perfect amount of heat. 2 to 3 pounds pork neck bones 2 teaspoons of salt teaspoon of black pepper Water 2 cloves of garlic Green beans, carrots, potatoes, and onions Garlic and onion powder Vinegar Tools Needed For Each Cooking Method Cooking pot and casserole dish Knife Baking dish, oven, and aluminum foil for baking Bowl or colander I hope that you brought your appetite, because I have a lot of recipes for you to try! In a large kettle, add cleaned and rinsed pork neck bones. Let's bring it back to lifeneck bones hot and ready. Additionally, you can easily follow each participant by using the hashtag #JuneteenthCookout2022 on Instagram. 1 pound smoked pork neck bones 1 large onion, finely chopped 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped 2 celery stalks, finely chopped 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste 3 tablespoons (or more) Worcestershire sauce 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus more for garnish 8 to 10 cups hot cooked white rice Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, adding water as needed to keep the meat and vegetables from scorching. Fill a 4. Add the smoked meat and salt. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Top with 2 drained cans of flat Italian green beans. Nestle the into the other ingredients. 1 smoked turkey neck 1 bag collard greens; 32 oz. Use the fork to scrape off any meat from the bones and place it in the other bowl. Set the remaining half of the bacon aside to use as a garnish at the end. How to cook smoked turkey necks and green beans. I ate this meat so much that I lost the taste for this dish for a while. Cover Meat with about three inches Simmered long and slow in smoked-turkey infused chicken broth, they are a bit salty, peppery, smokey, garlicky, oniony, yep they are loaded with flavor and a single serving never seems to be enough. Serve your neckbones, green beans and potatoes on a bed of rice with corn bread. In previous years, we've made Pulled Pork Parfait, Jerk Barbecued Ribs, and Texas Style Pulled Pork for Juneteenth. Cook at a rolling boil for 45 minutes. Stir in the onion and bell pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Smoke neck bones at 250'F over Mesquite, letting the beans catch all the drippings. Click below to search our prior Recipe of the Month recipes, as they do not come up in Search box. Add rice. 1 teaspoon salt (Optional) 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves 4 cups water 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar Directions Place neck bones, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. The end result is a pot of soft, richly-flavored beans that are a tasty companion for almost any entre. There really isnt a need for another meat, because there are plenty of smoked neck bones in the pot. Place the neck bones in a bowl or colander in the sink. (375 degrees depenting on the size of the meat and your oven temperature.) (A pork butt requires about 40 minutes per pound.) Great over rice. In a large stockpot, over high heat, combine the water, neck bones, onion, garlic, bouillon powder, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. However, you can also use ham hocks, smoked turkey legs, necks, or tails. Cook over medium heat about 1 1/2 hours. Its heavy pieces of bone, thick cords of connective tissue and dense muscle are all packed with natural collagen, which gives your broth a rich mouth-feel and body. Prepare a baking sheet with a rack. (You should be able to wash and prepare the collard greens while you make the broth.). Season neck bones with salt and pepper and place them into the roasting pan. Legumes such as peas, beans and lentils are flavorful and superbly nutritious in their own right, but they have a remarkable affinity for pork flavor. I am with you on green beans! Remove the meat from the bone and cube the pork into small pieces. Turn down heat and simmer til fork tender or to taste (about 45 - 60 minutes). After the 3 hour mark, it's time to add the pork jowl. You can also try smoked ham hocks or a few thick slices of bacon. Sunny Valley Smoked Pork Neck Bones. pork neck bones, garlic, tomato paste, dried Italian herbs, mild Italian sausage and 16 more Southern Kidney Bean and Andouille Soup Daring Gourmet salt, bay leaves, garlic, beef bouillon cubes, red kidney beans and 9 more I will pull threads of the smoked pork meat that was left on the bones (there will not be much) but it is so delicious and flavorful, I . Mopping up the pot liquor with a piece of cornbread marks the end of a satisfying meal, and the leftovers are excellent for cooking rice or vegetables. A smoked pork neck bone before cooking Directions: Rinse the beans and place them in the Insta-Pot. 1 medium-to-large yellow onion, finely chopped 3 garlic cloves, chopped 1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder, or as needed 2 bay leaves 2 pounds dried pinto beans, rinsed and sorted 3 Serrano chiles, stemmed (alternatively, you can use jalapeo) bag 1 cups vegetable broth Water is also fine. 4.3K views 2 years ago Today we're going to be making an easy 1st green being and smoke neckbone recipe the family and I went to the farmers market and picked out some fresh green beings and. Deluxe versions of the dish -- "choucroute garnie," a French term -- generally also include caraway seeds or juniper berries, and several other kinds of fresh and smoked meats added throughout the cooking time. Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook for 3 hours or cook in 350 degree . This year, we are honoring 19 Black American cookbook authors by recreating their recipes, amplifying their work, and sharing our connections to Freedom Day. We love this recipe, and are so grateful for Kevin for allowing us to share it! 5) In a medium fry pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Ive always just added 1lb of bacon to 1lb of beansIll have to try them with the neck bones next time. Copyright 2006-2023 soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com. Inspired by local traditions and seasonal fare, youll find plenty of easy, comforting recipes that bring your family together around the table. Halfway through the cooking process (after 1 hour), add the cabbage and peppercorns. Your email address will not be published. Theres a bit of a Green Bean Debate out there: namely, whether they should be cooked-to-death-until-theyre-so-tender-theyre-almost-mushy or whether theyre best when theyre still bright green and just crisp-tender. Cover and cook on High until the meat is tender, about 4 hours. Smoked Pork Neck Bones-n-Beans. Baking Pork Neck Bones 1 Preheat the oven to 375 F (191 C). If you enjoy a cocktail with your meals, here are some wine and spirit pairings for pork . This recipe was a way for me to put some use to the left over beans that I had in my pantry. Pour the stock back into the crock pot, and add the split peas. FP Fresh Cut Pork Neckbones. Swap out the fresh green beans for frozen cut green beans or frozen French-style green beans. All rights reserved. ** Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. This quick and easy 3 step baked pork chops recipe cooks up to perfection in about 35 minutes. Thanks, Thanks fir the info and I like your blog.will try neckbones n beans tomorrow, you are a amazing woman for sharing these awsome recipes. Also, because ham hocks are a fatty cut of pork, it makes sense to use a similarly fatty cut like bacon as a substitute. Add meat to a large pot or Dutch Oven. You do not need to thaw the frozen vegetables before adding them to the pot. xoxo. . Privacy Policy| My Site Policies |About|Contact. Pair the vegetables with one of these delicious entres: Dont forget to round out the meal with some cornbread or biscuits, too! After the beans have stood for 1 hour, drain and rinse. Today, were focused on southern-style green beans, which are cooked low and slow until theyre fall-apart tender. By now you probably have worked up an appetite and you are ready to try your hand at cooking this dish so you can get some food in your belly. Place the neck bones in a large pot. Remember, the key to great cooking is being prepared and to use quality ingredients. 19) Ladle the soup into containers. 568 views, 38 likes, 3 loves, 3 comments, 74 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from El poeta boaner: El poeta boaner was live. Turn the heat off, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. I had My Thanksgiving Day ham bone in the freezer so I used it to replace the pork bones you suggested. Juneteenth marks our countrys second independence day and the final emancipation of those enslaved. It is a jubilee of freedom to commemorate the end of slavery in the United States and is often celebrated with a cookout among friends and family. DO a quick soak for the beans, then drain. You can honestly prepare a bowl and devour it like you would a stew. Add cover to pot and reduce heat to simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. Add in the oil, bacon & onions, and fry for 5 minutes, then remove and set aside. Add carrots and cook until almost soft, about 5 minutes. Recipe: Creamy Potato-and-Ham Hock 3. Skim the foam from the meat once foam forms. Thank you. Preheat a large pot over medium heat and add a little oil for cooking the veggies. Southern-Style Green Beans. Some people soak beans overnight, and that works too! Add in garlic, stirring into onions, and cook for an additional minute. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This collaboration is brought to you by Eat the Culture. These country-style beans are typically simmered in broth or water alongside a smoky meat such as bacon, ham hocks or smoked turkey as well as other seasonings. I hope youll try this version , 2023 The Seasoned Mom. * Cooked ham pieces, ROSES MULTIGRAIN BREAD is a wonderful accompaniment for our candlelight supper soup. butter in a medium heat large saucepan, add pork neck meat and brown on both side then add 2-3 cups vegetable broth or water, teaspoon basil in the saucepan. Add the garlic; cook for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly. (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Add water to cover and add brown sugar. This soulful green beans recipe is one of my favorite ways to prepare them! Then remove from the heat and allow everything to settle for about 1 hour. Ive made these. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes to create the pork broth. Soak for a couple of hours and drain off the water. Also chop 5 cloves of garlic. How to make Southern Pinto Beans with Smoked Neck Bones, Recipe tips for making the best Southern Pinto Beans, Bludsos BBQ: A Family Affair in Smoke and Soul, Rodney Scotts World of BBQ: Every Day Is a Good Day, My America: Recipes from a Young Black Chef, Black Food: Stories, Art, and Recipes from Across the African Diaspora, Crab Cake Egg Rolls with Crawfish and Shrimp, Serrano chiles (alternatively, you can use jalapeos). If desired, thin the soup with stock or water to your preference. Having grown up in WV where green beans were cooked till soft with bacon or ham, I had a hard time getting used to crisp tender green beans after moving to MA. Bon Appetit! Add water to cover ingredients to 2-3 above the top. Add water to cover the meat by an inch. There he would work at her illegal, bootleg BBQ stand. per lb. After simmering for 1-1/2 hours the meat should be tender. That liquid, or "pot liquor," is a cherished side benefit. Place the pork, drained beans, bay leaf, 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a 3 quart pot. Remove the pork shred the meat using two forks, discarding any . Tear the meat into bite size pieces. Sprinkle 3/4 of the onion and garlic into the bottom of a roasting pan; pour in the vinegar and water. However, if you really want to go all out, I suggest baked chicken. Pick out neck bones that are small to medium sized with plenty of meat on the bones. 15) Turn the crock pots heater control to HIGH. Cover again with water, tightly cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Heat oven to 400 Place pork necks on a large baking sheet. And if you're like me and eating with others, be sure to tell everyone that you cooked up something extra special tonight. Simply place them on a flat surface, and take out any little ugly rotten beans, and other objects. Bring the broth to a boil; reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer (stirring occasionally) until the green beans are very tender, about 40-45 minutes. Smoked hocks and ham bones are common choices, but the neck might just be the best of all. 1 lb Lima Beans. per lb. 9) Sprinkle the black pepper over the onions and garlic.10) Place the bay leaves in a tea/spice infuser ball. This is a country, budget-friendly recipe for neck bones that everyone will enjoy. Homemade Roasted Pork Neck Bones recipe easy to make, delicious and healthy too! Sign up for my newsletter and get a free guide with 5 quick-prep dinners you can make tonight. These country-style vegetables are an easy side dish to serve with smothered pork chops, chicken fried steak, roasted chicken or shrimp and grits. Adjust seasonings to taste. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Season neck bones with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and no-salt seasoning liberally. Place the pot on . Roast in oven for 30 minutes. Carefully remove pork bones and place on a plate to let cool, you can leave the limas on a low simmer. Husband and wife home cooks sharing our family's favorite soul food and southern recipes. Florence Stokes 2023-01-06. Yes maam. Serve over rice with a side of green beans. Your email address will not be published. As long as you season them well, and serve them over rice, you should be good to go! Smoked neck bones, one pack Prepare a solution of water and vinegar to clean the neck bones. These green beans just get better as they sit and the flavors come together, so feel free to make a big batch in advance. Is it posted? We find that many bean and ham hock soups are too salty even when low sodium stock is included in the recipe. At the 6 hour mark, add the other 1/2 of the diced pork jowl to skillet and cook for about 10 minutes. Jul 19, 2018. Instructions. Your beans will absorb the rich, smoky pork flavor from the neck bones, while their collagen enriches and slightly thickens the broth. Dont Forget to Share a Pic of What You Made! Today we're going to be making an easy 1st green being and smoke neckbone recipe the family and I went to the farmers market and picked out some fresh green beings and are going to show you how easy it is the make and tastes delicious.#FreshGreenBeans #Christmas #GreenBeansLet's connectfollow me@Instagram: Taylors_fire_smoke_bbq facebook: @Taylorsfsbbqemail: Taylorsfiresmoke@yahoo.com to support the channelCashapp: $Taylorsfiresmoke paypal.me/taylorsfsbbqTaylors Fire \u0026 Smoke CookingP.O. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. fresh green bean recipes, green bean recipe, southern style green beans. Stir and let it saute for a couple more minutes. At this point add your canned green beans, white potatoes, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Let it boil for about an hour and a half until the neck bones starts to fall off the bone. Neck bones add a smoky, robust flavor to dishes that is unparalleled. Store: Air tight, refrigerated, 1 week; frozen, 3 months. Cover with lid or close the ziplock bags and place the latter in a large dish to catch any leakage. coarse sea salt, limes, paprika, pork tenderloin, bone-in pork chops and 1 more Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage Pork black pepper, medium tomatoes, rice, garlic, vegetable oil, red beans and 6 more Follow our easy, . of water. I got my taste for neckbones back again. . Rinse them under cool water, then follow the directions in the back of the bag for a quick soak. Learn how your comment data is processed. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. Set aside. That being said, no excuse for you. Discard the bay leaf. 6) Stir in the chopped garlic and saut covered for a few minutes. Thank u for posting such a yummy recipe! Season potatoes to taste with salt, pepper, garlie powder and onion powder. 3. 7) Add the sliced carrots to the crockpot. 1. Privacy Policy. For something milder, we recommend that you use jalapeos instead. You can typically find neckbones at your local grocery store in neighborhoods where blue collar workers shop. Herb-Butter Roasted Turkey Recipe | The Hungry Hutch, Vegetarian Southern-Style Collard Greens | The Hungry Hutch, How to Make Fried Chicken | The Hungry Hutch, Andouille and Collard Greens Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings, Cabbage, White Bean, and Sausage Casserole, Pasta with Eggplant, Tomato & Olive Sauce, [Leftover] Chicken Congee (Rice Porridge), 1 pound smoked pork neck bones (or other meat), 2 pounds collard greens, stems removed (if desired), washed, and cut into strips, 2 tablespoons apple cider or Sherry vinegar, Add the pork, onion, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to a large pot with 1 quart (4 cups) water. Place the neck bones in a large pot. In a large stockpot, combine the water, neck bones, onion, garlic, bouillon powder, and bay leaves over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove ham hocks from liquid, transfer to a cutting board, and pull bones from meaty and fatty parts. Kevin Bludso's Southern Pinto Beans Recipe with Smoked Neck Bones, Southern Fried Catfish (Gluten Free, Dairy Free), smoked pork neck bones (alternatively, you can use smoked ham hocks, turkey necks, etc). In a separate pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Start off by rinsing your meat under running water. Cover pot and bring to a boil. So what are you waiting for?Grab some neck bones and get cooking! 4. Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are soft and tender. Add the vinegar, taste, and adjust the seasonings as you see fit. ** Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Clean and rinse neckbones and put all ingredients except potatoes into a 6 quart stock pot. In honor of Juneteenth, Marrekus and I would love for you to support these fantastic books and recipes. Add the onion and celery; cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the neck bones; reduce heat to low, and cover. Place neck bones, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker. Delicious Smoked Turkey Neck Recipe (7 Simple 2 days ago simplymeatsmoking.com Show details Servings: 4 Total Time: 2 hrs 5 mins Category: Appetizer, Main, Main Course, Side Dish Calories: 320 per serving . Yesss! Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours or until tender. I definitely prefer the adaptation over the basic recipe. Add in the seasonings, then cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes over medium heat. Remember, fat is flavor! * Although the soup can be served immediately, refrigerating will thicken soup. Turn on cold running water. *Stir periodically*. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Make and share this Down Home Sunday Green Beans recipe from Food.com. You can alsofreeze the cooked green beans for up to 3 months. Okay enough about me and the recipe. http://ctt.ec/BUku4+, Slow Cooked Southern Style Green Beans Southern String Beans. Pour a little oil, put the neck bones and dd black pepper, mix evenly. Add celery, onions, green beans and garlic, stir and cook until onions are . Sear the pork bones until brown, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Did we also mention that it's seasoned to perfection?! But don't be mistaken, this meat is packed with flavor and taste great. Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Cover, turn the heat to a gentle boil, and cook for about 1 hour, allowing the neck bones to begin to cook and flavor the broth. Enjoy trying baking and savory recipes from our catalog of posted recipes on Our Blog and here. Place the pork neck bones pieces on the rack, and roast in and 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for at least 2 hours and 45 minutes. When ready to serve, spoon the beans with some broth into individual bowls, adding a little bit of the meat in each bowl. Add the pork, onion, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to a large pot with 1 quart (4 cups) water. Your email address will not be published. Once cooked, crumble the cooked bacon and mix it in with the green beans. These beans go great with cornbread and collard greens, or any greens. Stir. Set the timer for 2 hours and cover. Pour in the broth and water. Your email address will not be published. I Made It Nutrition Facts (per serving) I'll give you my ham hocks recipe later on, that is if you behave yourself. Add the green beans, chicken broth, sugar, soy sauce, black pepper, and half of the cooked bacon into the pot with the onion. Stir Well. Sear each side of each neck bone. You will know it is ready when it becomes tender. In the European tradition, smoked neck bones often accompany sauerkraut. It doesn't need rice, cornbread, or other fixins'. Place neck bones in one layer in large roasting pan. For a quick and easy meal and some delicious boneless pork chop you must try this quick and easy boneless pork chop recipe. Nestle the meat in the beans. At this point add your canned green beans, white potatoes, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. When ready to serve, ladle the beans with some of the broth into individual bowls, and get a little bit of the meat in each bowl. I'll give you my ham hocks recipe later on, that is if you behave yourself. Described by Bludso in his cookbook as having an almost gravy-like feel, not thick like refried beans, these southern pinto beans with smoked neck bones is a dish that can stand alone. Perfectly said, Sue! Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Tender beans with tender falling of the bone smoked neck bones! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Skim the foam from the meat once foam forms. Click on the Archive button arrow to show and search Our Blog Categories. heavy-bottomed pan set over medium heat. Your beans will absorb the rich, smoky pork flavor from the neck bones, while their collagen enriches and slightly thickens the broth. Remove from heat, drain. Having been raised on the west coast, I only ever associated pinto beans with Mexican food. Instead, these stubbornly tough and bony pieces are used to lend rich flavor and body to a variety of traditional slow-cooked meals.