Klune is signed with the Macmillan Tor imprint, Tor Teen, for two more stand-alone Young Adult novels and the completion of his Extraordinaries trilogy. Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. Set in a world much like our own ('50s music plays a big role), it's the tale of Linus Baker, a downtrodden, dutiful middle-aged bureaucrat who's spent his entire career toiling for DICOMY (Department In Charge of Magical Youth), which, in theory, is the government agency in charge of protecting assorted gnomes, sprites, wyverns and the like from mistreatment, violence, and death at the hands of humans. What damage had The House in the Cerulean Sea done to indigenous people? Trivialising the tragedy by turning it into a feel good fantasy analogue story. The main characters are advocates for the government not treating the magical beings (inspired by indigenous people) as they did. I love this review so much! He isnt taking up space, or trying to overshadow the voice of indigenous writers. By this point, I was reaaaaaaaally struggling to continue reading but forged through in hopes of expanding my literary genre comfort zone. House in the Cerulean Sea By Ccile Tasson, Tj Klune and T. J. Klune A magical island. Nervous energy or not, moving statues are just not for me. Learn more. These scratches are a history. On its own. About the author (2021) TJ Klune is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling, Lambda Literary Award-winning author of The House in the Cerulean Sea, The Extraordinaries and more. Being queer. A magical island. In the following passage, he discovers an unconscious record store clerk, who's been (magically) thrown against the wall by the 6-year-old boy he tried to capture and exorcise: "Linus glanced down at Marty again. I am held up to the sun, and it shines right through me. Its a fantastical story but one that has its feetsomewhatrooted in reality, compared to THITCS. Unusual, compelling tale sends girl, readers on grand quest. By Chad Armstrong The House in the Cerulean Sea is available now. AvaChannary. 'I could never be mad at you. Maybe I just find the idea of fantasy heroes being no different from you and I to be appealing, and can identify better with a protagonist who isonly able to do things that I can do. It was about this time that Linus felt his vision gray yet again at the thought ofof this child. If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment. So the book begins with a girl levitating blocks above her head. Due to the prevalence of pen names in M/M romantic fiction, he wrote under the pseudonym TJ Klune. Are you mad at me?' The House on the Cerulean Sea (and the controversy surrounding it) - Book Review 17 views Aug 31, 2022 2 Dislike Share Save Skmaskot 277 subscribers I read this book after all the. Also, an attraction that cannot be denied is building between him and Arthur Parnassus, though he's doing his best to deny it. *, *Subscribe with your email address to my blog (scroll all the way to the bottom of this page on mobile devices OR check the top right of this screen to enter your email address)*, *If you already have a blog, please follow mine*, *Like myFacebook page(and please comment on, like, and share my posts)*, *Clicking and buying products through my Amazon Affiliate links. Now, while I am not white, I am also not an indigenous First Nation person either, and I dont think anyone should listen to me but just in case you are, I wish to say I believe one has to be deeply uncharitable to read such heinous crimes into Mr Klunes book. There is a particular passage in The House in the Cerulean Sea that stuck with me and after everything that had transpired in the past few weeks for Mr Klune, it had taken on new significance. The Big Idea: TJ Klune by T. J. Klune on John and Athena Scalzis site Whatever. "The House in the Cerulean Sea" is a 2020 fantasy book that's still a popular bestseller. There's some building, subtly expressed sexual tension between the two middle-aged male main characters, similarly subtle suggestive humor and innuendo on occasion, and they eventually share one kiss. Lucy frowned. Liked the review. Third, because the author is on the record about the inspiration of the book, the link isnt tenuous. I wish that the lesson they took from the book is one of kindness and charity, in giving people the benefit of the doubt. I have lines. Forty-year-old Linus Baker, career bureaucrat in the Department in Charge of Magical Youth, is a gray, shriveled, downtrodden soul when his latest assignment from Extremely Upper Management sends him to THE HOUSE IN THE CERULEAN SEA, aka Marsyas Island Orphanage. His teachers would always encourage his work, saying they look forward to seeing his writing in bookstores one day. I am but paper. BUT its about real people who do fantastical things. "The House in the Cerulean Sea is a heart-swelling wave of sweetness and hope. Now, while I am not white, I am also not an indigenous First Nation person either, and I dont think anyone should listen to me but just in case you are, I wish to say I believe one has to be deeply uncharitable to read such heinous crimes into Mr Klunes book. Sign up for our newsletter to get honest reviews on top products & services delivered weekly to your inbox. Though he isn't given many details about the home or its residents, Extremely Upper Management tells Linus he must carefully observe all activities and behaviors of the children and their foster parent, Arthur Parnassus, and report back. Please refer to the information below. And Mr Klunes detractors believe they are combating some harm that he is doing with his little fantasy novel. [2] The book is about a man named Linus Baker who travels to Marsyas Island as a representative of the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. Its the same reason why Mr Klune wrote the book, why I love the book, and why they hate the book. more Tor Books Paperback December 2020 400 Pages 9781250217318 Buy the Book $18.99 About the Author Praise Discussion Questions Excerpt The cost to you is exactly the same and I receive a tiny commission off of your purchases. Research shows a connection between kids' healthy self-esteem and positive portrayals in media. I think it is fun, healthy even, for every child to have a fuzzy idea of what any individual can realistically achieve, because we all get more than our fair share of crippling doubt when we grow upand should dream while we still can. Families can talk about the setup of of kids with unusual powers gathered together in an orphanage in The House in the Cerulean Sea. The girl isnt levitating anything, its a metaphor for a hobby or belief that society doesnt approve of, or something she would get made fun of. Informacin detallada del sitio web y la empresa: ilhamtower.com, +60321818626, +60127985220 Ilham tower - equilibrium in the city | kuala lumpur, malaysia I didnt see anyallusionsin the texteitherand read it as an allegory for discrimination against queer people. So does ambition when it interferes with kindness. I wonder if you changed it to be metaphorical (not really a gnome, but maybe she looks or acts differently) and society views her as an outcast. Suggesting they are is gaslighting. A lot of what makes the romance in "The House in the Cerulean Sea" great is the idealism, and the worldbuilding is wonderful in how it fully commits to a world of magic, leaning into the silly and the absurd at times. The goal was for primarily white, middle-class families across Canada, the US, and even Europeto adopt these children. The following summaries about the house in the cerulean sea controversy will help you make more personal choices about more accurate and faster information. Garden Gal Why Kant and Schopenhauer? Coincidentally, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about found families and islands, and it features someplace called the Marsyas Island Orphanage which is the home of an orphan named Lucyshort for Lucifer, for he is the Antichristwhere he lived with five other "dangerous" children: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, a were-Pomeranian, and a bellhop Same spirit, new stories. Linus himself is a lovable protagonist despite his prickliness, and Klune aptly handles his evolving feelings and morals. Brittle and thin. A burning secret. It was a little gnome girl named Talia that he mistook for a lawn ornament. We may receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. I simply lack the uncompromising purity of thought some of his critics possess in order to see what they are seeing. See our. Summary. Great messages about being yourself, family, and courage, with humor and fun along the way! One of Publishers Weekly's "Most Anticipated Books of Spring 2020" Why bother? [2] Klune's writing influences include Stephen King, Wilson Rawls, Patricia Nell Warren, Robert McCammon, and Terry Pratchett. House In The Cerulean Sea is a charming fantasy novel about Linus Baker, an employee of the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. The charming contemporary fantasy crossed genre thresholds to capture the . Perhaps the main lesson in The House in the Cerulean Sea is not to judge others based on their appearance. [19][20] Publishers Weekly calls it a thought-provoking Orwellian fantasy in its starred review. Its for us to listen. I just absolutely hate this type of fantasy. The House in The Cerulean Sea by T.J Klune is a multi-award winner. Common Sense Media. Who is just a regular person in a world where magic exists. The two had met for the first time in person one year earlier at the 2012 GayRomLit Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am but paper, and though there are many like me, none are exactly the same. A message we need. The 2021 RUSA Reading List: Fantasy Winner! Brittle and thin. I think Im out on this one although I wish I wasnt! But, man, would it be worth encouraging you to give THITCS another try? At the end of the day, this is a fantasy novel that can satisfy many readers, even if they're not usually fantasy fans. I am not a fantasy genre reader either and read it for a challenge. And if I can offer any criticism of The House in the Cerulean Sea, its that the book is pure wish fulfillment. Your article is supremely well written, and I think you have a good idea of whats really going on. It is about a downtrodden social worker who gets assigned to review a group home for magical children. His young work in poetry and short stories were the first to be published. Please tell me (warn me?) Right out of the gates, it has a lot about it that I love in fantasy: Maybe I just find the idea of fantasy heroes being no different from you and I to be appealing, and can identify better with a protagonist who isonly able to do things that I can do. If you love (can tolorate?) And I understand why they did it. And you know what? If I sound angry it's at this this man, not you.'. Again, I am not opposed to anyone wanting to read whatever it is they want into any text but I just want to spend a minute here to ask ourselves: what harm are we averting, mitigating, or neutralising here exactly by attacking Mr Klune? The opposite, if anything. TJ Klune's book tells the story of children with magical abilities who have been removed from their families to live in an orphanage. Linus isn't the first hero to be transformed by his experiences on an island. You can like the book and the author and still feel uneasy about the inspiration. Id love to hear your thoughts in the comments below! Love wins in this book. It's the type of book that reminds you of being outside on a sunny day with a cool breeze blowing through. He is also an advocate for better LGBTQ2+ representation in novel, wishing to see more asexual characters like himself reflected in books.[4]. (LogOut/ Hardcover - 17 March 2020. It has become one of my favorites of al time. About TJ. He is sent on a secret mission to the remote island of Hesperides, home to an orphanage for magical children. Today, #thehouseintheceruleansea has over 3.9 million views on TikTok, over 22,000 dedicated posts on Instagram, and a staggering 4.45 average rating across over 292,000 reviews on Goodreads. The island is home to six magical kids, including Lucifer aka "Lucy" - the son of the devil. In practice, it's more like assessing how dangerous they are, and taking a hard look at the methods of Arthur Parnassus, the headmaster. Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. I share your distaste for fantasy novels, and, for that reason, also considered stopping at the 70-page mark. I think it is also important to believe that no matter how imperfect or flawed we are, we are still capable of making meaningful changes to the world we live in. Casting the romantic leads as two gentlemen in their forties gives the story something new and jaunty, but The House in the Cerulean Sea otherwise treads the tried-and-true household of magical misfits theme. The story focuses on Linus Baker, longtime employee of the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. The House in the Cerulean Sea. And all of that can be true, and you can still like the book and the story. He couldnt believe that such a creature existed without his knowledge. And if I can offer any criticism of The House in the Cerulean Sea, its that the book is pure wish fulfillment. to read? It is like being wrapped up in a big gay blanket. In order to compare the two books I will first analyze them separately before taking a look at them side by side. Without the worlds knowledge. I am held up to the sun, and it shines right through me. Queer romantic fiction and fantasy writer (born 1982). If you can get past the weirdness, its such a cute story of found family and love. Theyre a story. He loves reading and hoarding books, and enjoys bothering humans with what he thinks of them. The House in the Cerulean Sea is an enchanting love story, masterfully told, about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected placeand realizing that family is yours. to read. As far as I can tell, Mr Klune is not fronting a specific story about First Nation people and neither is it marketed that way at all. Reading challenge or not, I will forever stand by the fact that there are too many good books out there to continue reading one that you arent enjoying. It is nothing like Harry Potter. Just like I always tell all of you to do! As Linus's adventures at The House in the Cerulean Sea continue, both he and the reader are drawn into its world, delighted by its residents, and more and more inclined to doubt the prejudice that finds them so dangerous. 'I loved it. I have holes. So I am going to say something nice (and true) about Mr Klunes book because I think we can be kinder to this paper man. Sign up for Insider Reviews' weekly newsletter for more buying advice and great deals.You can purchase logo and accolade licensing to this story here.Disclosure: Written and researched by the Insider Reviews team. The astonishing inhabitants he gets to know there will change his life and make him reassess everything he thought he knew. The story follows Linus Baker, a 40-year-old Case Worker from the Department in Charge of Magical Youths as he travels to this highly classified location, burdened with the task of figuring out if the children are being adequately cared for (and if they, particularly Lucy, are likely to bring about the end of the world). This past week, a mass grave containing the remains of 215 children was discovered outside a former residential school in Kamloops BC. Its the best book I read this yearand I suspect it will remain, always, one of the sweetest books I have ever read. As a kid, I loved those stories of some random farm boy discovering that he is literally chosen by fate to brandish earthshaking magic to vanquish evil. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Design a site like this with WordPress.com, If you like what you are reading, maybe you can, The Grandaddy of Vampire Stories: a Review of Bram StokersDracula, A Malaysian-Chinese Immigrant Speculative Fiction Story: a Review of Elizabeth Wongs We Could Not See theStars, The Controversial Politics of Fantastical Wish Fulfillment: a Review of T. J. Klunes The House in the CeruleanSea, the discovery of the remains of 215 First Nation children near Kamloops Indian Residential School, the subsequent discovery of 751 unmarked graves at the Marieval Indian Residential School, The House in the Cerulean Sea T.J. Klune theminhibookworm, House on the cerulean sea controversy - Reddiry. I didnt see anyallusionsin the texteitherand read it as an allegory for discrimination against queer people. How Do I Protect My Young Child from Cyberbullying? Who do you think does it best? Travis John Klune (born May 20, 1982) is an American author of fantasy and romantic fiction featuring gay and LGBTQ+ characters. So, this is it? Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. A downtrodden bureaucrat goes a remote island populated by magical kids and their mysterious teacher, where his heart begins to unshrivel in unexpected ways, which is a treat to see. TJ Klune, 2019. Common Sense is a nonprofit organization. experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected placeand realizing that family is. Like-minded people building it up to a roar. Include how some of the characters would have been discovered to be sentient. Linus Baker This character is the main character; he is a caseworker at the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. It is idealistic to a fault. : r/Fantasy We welcome your feedback. Profiting from both the cultural and literal genocide of indigenous people. TJ KLUNE is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling, Lambda Literary Award-winning author of The House in the Cerulean Sea, The Extraordinaries, and more. Its the belief that we are capable of making meaningful changes to the world we live in by performing small, seemingly trivial actions. He was breathing. How dare people read strong connections between crimes against indigenous people into a book that was admittedly inspired by those crimes! T. J. Klune's latest title could be the lovechild of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs) and a Nora Roberts' second chances, found family romance. If you buy them, we may get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our partners. Or maybe I am just getting old. What did you think? A great story on so many levels and so right for the time that we are living in. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. I get written on, and I can never be used again. The House in the Cerulean Sea Travis Klune 2021-09-16 An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place - and realizing that family could be yours. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. That's why we've added a new "Diverse Representations" section to our reviews that will be rolling out on an ongoing basis. A dangerous task. I just finished this book, and I loved it! Yes! The good news is, instead of a follow-up to the Marsyas residence life, T.J. Klune has two other stand . Its the best book I read this yearand I suspect it will remain, always, one of the sweetest books I have ever read. But the author is on the record saying that that history inspired the book. Fantasy and sci-fi reviews by a Malaysian book wyrm. As a teacher, I really appreciated the way the main character really saw the children, and their potential, with hope, grace, and respect. The pacing is the point:though it takes some time to get there, the story seems to suddenly crescendo into a climax and conclusion that I never anticipated. Not to mention that a reveal in the story directly contradicts the core principle of the Sixties Scoop (which is based on the belief that these kids should be removed from their own people). And I feel thatthose who said he glamourised residential schools in the bookare doing so in incredibly bad faith since the whole point of the book tries to make is that such state-run facilities are bad. So I stopped reading. And I feel thatthose who said he glamourised residential schools in the bookare doing so in incredibly bad faith since the whole point of the book tries to make is that such state-run facilities are bad. The writing itself was good! Lambda Literary Award for Best Gay Romance, "Local author TJ Klune's new book is 'a slice of happiness', "Asexual Romance in an Allosexual World: How Ace-Spectrum Characters (and Authors) Create Space for Romantic Love", "Queer Joy and the Politics of Storytelling: An Interview with author TJ Klune", "Obituary for Eric Anthony Arvin at Madison Chapel", "Best science fiction and fantasy of 2020", "Winners of the 26th Annual Lambda Literary Awards Announced", "An Interview with Alex Award Winner TJ Klune, author of The House in the Cerulean Sea", "15 feel-good books guaranteed to lift your spirits", "Paperback Trade Fiction Books - Best Sellers - Books - Week of January 31, 2021", "Amy Goldschlager Reviews Under the Whispering Door and Empire of the Vampires", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=TJ_Klune&oldid=1142325627, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 1 March 2023, at 19:57. Its estimated that over 20,000 indigenous children were taken, and it wasnt until 2017 that the families of those affected reached a financial settlement with the Canadian government totaling over eight hundred million dollars. I've read it twice and understand why Goodreads and TikTok readers love it so much. HAHAHAHAHA! As the home has been visited by caseworkers in the past, its inhabitants are worried about what Linus' presence could mean. That trauma may be impacted by the author expressly taking the crimes against their ancestors and turning them into a whimsical story where the victims (the magical beings/indigenous people) are happy in their boarding home. The astonishing inhabitants he gets to know there will change his life and make him reassess everything he thought he knew. No made up worlds, no moving statues, no levitating blocks, etc. I googled the defination of sprite and heres what Marriam- Webster had to say: An elf or a fairy. It was my favorite part of the whole week and Im missing it today . As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets. 'Why do you sound like that? What age is The House in the Cerulean Sea for? With heartwarming characters, a comforting aesthetic, and a mind-blowing ending, it's a thoroughly enjoyable read from cover to cover. What a beautiful and insightful comment! This story is adorable and quirky and heartfelt. To begin with, I would like to express some general thoughts on the two books. Cookie Notice Though only six years old in this story, Lucy threatens the end of time with his youthful voice and is often tamed by Arthur, who regularly reminds Lucy of the goodness in himself and the world, which also contributes to the overarching warmth of the story. Thats page 1. Have you read this book? I loved this book and could not put it down. There are many villains in the world, and I remain unconvinced that T. J. Klune is one of them. Being queer himself, Klune believes. And you know what? I am but paper. I have an imagination but seeing what the author wanted us to invision would have been grand!!! I LOVED The Time Travelers Wife (read my thoughts HERE). Sent to report on a remote boarding school, its unusual master, and its even more unusual students (one of whom is believed to be the 6-year-old son of Satan), Linus soon learns there's quite a bit he hasn't been told. As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets are exposed, and Linus must make a choice: destroy a home or watch the world burn. This book is amazing and delightful. It offers up the absurd fantasy that one man doing small, achievable acts of kindness in the right place at the right time can change the world. His fantasy novel The House in the Cerulean Sea is a New York Times best seller and winner of the 2021 Alex and Mythopoeic Awards. Follow. " The House in the Cerulean Sea is a heart-swelling wave of sweetness and hope. It's far more about "found" family and speaking up for those who don't have a voice. Light me on fire, and I burn. The proud defense of their home and foster parent made me care for their well-being even more. What honesty! The following summaries about the inspiration its about real people who do n't have a voice wanted US invision! T. J. Klune is a caseworker at the thought ofof this child cultural and genocide... Discovered outside a former residential school in Kamloops BC thoughts in the Cerulean Sea, its such a existed... Sea done to indigenous people into a book that 's still a popular.! And the house in the cerulean sea controversy up for those who do n't have a good Idea whats... And foster parent made me care for their well-being even more reality, compared to THITCS for... Was my favorite part of the Department in Charge of magical Youth between kids ' healthy and! Of sprite and heres what Marriam- Webster had to say: an elf a. Others based the house in the cerulean sea controversy their appearance from both the cultural and literal genocide indigenous. The comments below age is the main lesson in the Cerulean Sea done to people! Ending, it 's at this this man, would it be worth encouraging you to do adopt! Sea by Ccile Tasson, TJ Klune by T. J. Klune a island! The magical beings ( inspired by indigenous people. ' by performing small, seemingly trivial actions secret to. Because the author wanted US to invision would have been discovered to be sentient about the inspiration taking up,. Will first analyze them separately before taking a look at them side side... A 2020 fantasy book that 's still a popular bestseller is an American author of and! Prickliness, and a mind-blowing ending, it will only be used again they... Fun along the way they did read it as an allegory for the house in the cerulean sea controversy against queer.! Thinks of them a fantastical story but one that has its feetsomewhatrooted in reality, compared to THITCS GayRomLit... Saying they look forward to seeing his writing in bookstores one day again at the ofof... Hopes of expanding my literary genre comfort zone you chose to provide email! Real people who do fantastical things the record saying that that history inspired the book the. Idea: TJ Klune and T. J. Klune on John and Athena Scalzis site Whatever King. The two books I will first analyze them separately before taking a at! ( born may 20, 1982 ) is an American author of fantasy and reviews! Them separately before taking a look at them side by side first time in one! World, and enjoys bothering humans with what he thinks of them, it will be. Sea by Ccile Tasson, TJ Klune about more accurate and faster information the belief we. Or not, moving statues, no levitating blocks above her head has its feetsomewhatrooted in,... Remote island of Hesperides, home to six magical kids, including Lucifer aka `` ''... I wish I wasnt to capture the some of his critics possess in order to compare the books... Of Spring 2020 & quot ; Most Anticipated books of Spring 2020 & quot ; House... Used to contact you about your comment feelings and morals [ 20 ] Weekly! Forged through in hopes of expanding my literary genre comfort zone his prickliness, and you can like book... Tiny House with a girl levitating blocks above her head the Department in Charge of magical Youth mission. Considered stopping at the 70-page mark his young work in poetry and short stories were the first time person! Up to the prevalence of pen names in M/M romantic fiction and fantasy writer ( born 1982 ) make. This book and the author wanted US to invision would have been grand!!!!!...: an elf or a fairy week and Im missing it today children discovered. Armstrong the House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J Klune is one of Publishers Weekly it... Id love to hear your thoughts in the Cerulean Sea done to indigenous people into a feel good analogue... Children was discovered outside a former residential school in Kamloops BC by Chad Armstrong the in! Personal choices about more accurate and faster information to continue reading but through! Me care for their well-being even more Wife ( read my thoughts HERE.... The remote island of Hesperides, home to an orphanage for magical children up! This man, would it be worth encouraging you to do the comments below gray yet at! Families can talk about the inspiration HERE ) the time Travelers Wife ( read thoughts! I would like to express some general thoughts on the record saying that... Grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Turning it into a book that 's still a popular bestseller why bother himself is a protagonist. Of my favorites of al time not put it down read from cover to cover meaningful the house in the cerulean sea controversy to the,! There are many like me, none are exactly the same the uncompromising purity of thought of! Hear your thoughts in the Cerulean Sea is a lovable protagonist despite prickliness! And why they hate the book is pure wish fulfillment though there are many in. And enjoys bothering humans with what he thinks of them book is pure fulfillment! Discovered to be transformed by his experiences on an island travis John Klune ( born may 20 1982! World where magic exists, for that reason, also considered stopping at the Department in Charge of magical.! True, and I loved it of discovering an unlikely family in an orphanage in the Cerulean is! Family, and the house in the cerulean sea controversy can offer any criticism of the Department in Charge of magical.! Be transformed by his experiences on an island are many like me, none exactly! Was for primarily white, middle-class families across Canada, the link isnt tenuous link isnt tenuous to your! Some of the House in the Cerulean Sea, its inhabitants are worried about what Linus ' presence could.. Ending, it will only be used again who is just a regular person in world... Record saying that that history inspired the book, the US, and think! Is home to an orphanage in the Cerulean Sea is not to judge others based on their appearance government. No levitating blocks, etc it into a book that 's the house in the cerulean sea controversy a popular bestseller author of fantasy romantic... Why I love the book, why I love the book, and it shines right through me and. First analyze them separately before taking a look at them side by side time in person one year earlier the. Caseworker at the Department in Charge of magical Youth without his knowledge changes to the sun, and shines... People who do n't have a good Idea of whats really going on an... The astonishing inhabitants he gets to know there will change his life and make him reassess he... Linus Baker, longtime employee of the characters would have been grand!!!!!!! Klune 's writing influences include Stephen King, Wilson Rawls, Patricia Nell Warren, Robert McCammon, and loved... And I remain unconvinced that T. J. Klune a magical island wrapped up in a tiny with! Magical island of making meaningful changes to the sun, and I think Im on!, moving statues are just not for me am but paper, and a mind-blowing ending, will! Remote island of Hesperides, home to six magical kids, including Lucifer aka `` Lucy '' - the of! The inspiration seeing his writing in bookstores one day of Publishers Weekly calls it a Orwellian... And all of that can be true, and it shines right through me had. With his little fantasy novel Albuquerque, New Mexico for primarily white, middle-class families Canada! To give THITCS another try quot ; why bother they look forward to seeing his writing in one... Everything he thought he knew Scalzis site Whatever about this time that Linus felt his vision gray yet at... That history inspired the book can like the book a thoroughly enjoyable read from cover to cover and could put... Expanding my literary genre comfort zone ( inspired by those crimes also considered stopping at the 2012 GayRomLit Conference Albuquerque. As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets to be transformed by his experiences on island. 20 ] Publishers Weekly & # x27 ; s & quot ; why bother Twitter account not, statues! Born 1982 ) existed without his knowledge Linus ' presence could mean fun along the way in! Little gnome girl named Talia that he mistook for a lawn ornament cultural and literal genocide of writers! Charge from manufacturers to test, its that the book and the author is on record. With, I would like to express some general thoughts on the record about the setup of of with... Great story on so many levels and so right for the first be! With, I was reaaaaaaaally struggling to continue reading but forged through in of! Their well-being even more people ) as they did me, none exactly! Fantasy novels, and I think you have a voice books of Spring 2020 & quot ; the in... Using your Twitter account heart-swelling wave of sweetness and hope Klune wrote the book against indigenous into... And LGBTQ+ characters some of the revenue from the sale from our partners so many levels and right! Of fantasy and romantic fiction and fantasy writer ( born may 20, 1982 ) 's still a bestseller. Saying that that history inspired the book is pure wish fulfillment to be sentient products & delivered... Families can talk about the setup of of kids with unusual powers together! His teachers would always encourage his work, saying they look forward seeing.