The Thule bike rack for cars you buy is thoroughly tested to ensure your safety - and the safety of others on the road - as well as to protect your precious bike from any damage and scratches. It is designed to fit on the Thule crossbars although it is designed to fit virtually any round crossbars or factory fitted roof racks. More importantly, its compatible with 1.25-inch and 2.0-inch hitches. Sea Otter Classic 2015: Orange is the new black, If Mountain Bikes Could Review Their Riders, Xanadu: Mountain bikings stately pleasure dome, The New Soquel Demo Flow Trail: A contrarian view. Thule 982XT Frame Adapter. If the bike rack is harder to steal than just breaking into the car (which is trivially easy for those that dont care about damage) it is as secure as possible. If one of the locks youve got has the number N082 stamped on it, and youd like additional locks that use that same key, youd order part # THLOCKN082. You should therefore check the bolts and nuts to ensure they are tight. This is the rack that we were going to buy!! ), You are riding on a rough or highly bumpier road. (Quick Answer! You may wonder if the locks are given with the products or not. I was able to put the cylinder in place, however, the other key does not lock or unlock. RV Awnings, Tents & Panels. If thats the case and you hit a bump or ride so fast, the rack will sway. There is a reason that the rack was revised. You won't get the hard sell from us and we're pretty laid back on negotiating packages or plans to fit any budget. Hence, if you decide to invest in a high quality Thule bike rack, you are certain to be able to derive your moneys worth as replacement or repair costs would be nil. To switch from using the 2 hitch ball to the 2-5/16 hitch ball (or the other way around) you simply need to remove the pin holding it in place, rotate the hitch balls, and then reinsert the pin. Erik Alston's other Seattle group at Fisher-Williams. We all know that the pro version of a product always comes with something interesting. Those old geeky SUVs typically have those spare tires attached at the rear side. As of this writing Cook and Thule are exchanging emails; well update as available. Once fitted, your bike rack responds to the vehicles motion and doesnt work independently. If possible, turn the mechanism so the top (slotted face) of the cylinder is facing down, so that gravity helps it to fall out. And ever since then, we've made it our business to bring you closer to the world and your passion for life. My grandpa once had an old class III 2" hitch on his Ford Escape, and normal 2" hitch receivers and such wouldn't fit either - same thing, just a slight bit off. Easy peasy. Strollers and Child Carriers. How much does it cost to install a hitch on a SUV? Thule T2 Bike Rack malfunctions on interstate causing injuries and destroyed mountain bike from Angie Hyndman on Vimeo. Thule racks cannot have integrated cable locks added onto the rack. A user named Meshach F stated the issue on Etrailer as follows-, My Thule rack wont removed from the hitch of my vehicle. Lemon Grove Loop Mountain Biking, San Luis Obispo, Mount Madonna: San Luis Obispos Mountain Bike Romp, Thule T2 Bike Rack malfunctions on interstate causing injuries and destroyed mountain bike. Although Thule bike racks are the go-to gear for many riders, some people show less interest in towing these racks with their vehicles because of Thule bike rack issues. Lift the bike and place a front wheel into the cradle and back wheel into the rear cradle. Check Price. His color scheme is inspired by his own Giant mountain bike. So, you wont even feel the wobbling. The locking part can be complicated depending on the model you choose. The only damage to my bike was tears on one grip and the saddle, and they sent me a check to pay for those as well. You can also buy them from online or brick-and-mortar retailers that sell Thule products, or directly from Thule at 888-238-2388 (in the U.S.) or. The hitch mount bike rack secures quickly and easily to the vehicle and locks in place. Many riders dont follow the guideline and dont use the necessary tools to mount the bike rack on their vehicles. However, after using lubricant, you shouldnt store your bike rack outdoors as it can catch dust and debris. This bike rack is convenient to use, comes at a reasonable price, and is long-lasting. How do I keep my bike rack from being stolen? Quick Answer: How To Install Thule Bike Rack On Hitch. Tighten firmly with Thule hitch tool (L). Let us talk about the easy steps to lock your bike on a Spare tire Thule rack. You can obtain it by contacting Customer Service. A bike rack play usually is not an issue if its temporary. I was going to buy a T2 this weekend, but they were out of stock everywhere except REI, the most expensive outlet. The type of wiring and installation difficulty depends on the vehicle. So, worry not! To rely on friction, no matter how tightly bolted, is an act of faith in potentially life-threatening situations. The Thule Brand: Why should you choose the Thule bike racks? These loops are really strong since they are made to help hook up the car if needed. Editors note: For 2021, Thule has replaced the T2 Pro XT tested here with the T2 Pro XTR. Are all 7 pin trailer connectors wired the same? Loose Bike Rack Connections. If the racks straps are loose, the bicycle rack wont hold firm on the car and will likely wobble when you speed up or take a turn. Jon Bostwick is a versatile Seattle-based Web designer and project leader currently at Xbox. On top of securing your racks to your vehicle, many racks are capable of locking your bikes, boats, or gear to the rack as well, completely securing your cargo for security and piece of mind. 1064 reviews. This results in bolts that will not back out an loosen due to vibrations when driving. Please keep in mind that you should only tighten the knob so the rack is snug. The most common problem is trying to tighten the knob while it is locked. But if you care about protecting your bike investment look elsewhere. What to Do When Youve Locked Your Keys inside Your Car, How to Pick Locks On Doorknobs: Knob Types & Lockpicking Tutorials, https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/thule-support/spare-parts-keys?keycode=D1251, https://www.carid.com/images/thule/cargo-carriers/pdf/859-installation-instructions.pdf, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNVTJxAOSU, http://goneoutdoors.com/thules-lock-cylinders-out-8046297.html, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKFB9xxrSkk. You can expect hitch installation to start around $100 and go up to $800. If you already own a roof rack, a roof bicycle rack for cars could be the simplest solution, however a trunk or hitch mounted rack is often easier to load and unload and suits heavier bikes. But when is the wobbling serious? Read our guideto learn more. My rack was recently stolen from my car and the thieves didn't have to work hard as there were no signs of force. . They have even mentioned that they dont like their products, and thats why they test them in the toughest scenarios to understand their limits and filter out the problems. It's like it's off by a millimeter or two, but enough that I can't even get it into the slot. A major drawback is it is not cost-effective in terms of saving fuel. Code: TH910XT. Its not just an incorrectly bolted bike rack that you should worry about but also loose straps. T2 Pro is comparatively easy to install as theres no more spar hanger. On any strap type clamp where the fixation mechanism is not straight down along the leg of the clamp, but rather along a foot that is 90* perpendicular to the clamp (i.e. Thule Outway Hanging 2 Review A quality trunk mount rack that stands out for its security features, stability, and adjustability Price: $450 List | $399.95 at REI Compare prices at 2 resellers Manufacturer: Thule By Jeremy Benson Senior Review Editor Dec 1, 2021 69 OVERALL SCORE RANKED #18 of 25 Ease of EveryDay Use - 20% 7.0 three-bike platform towbar bike rack 13-pin black/aluminium 620.00 Compact and lightweight Boot access even with bikes mounted Can be extended to a four-bike carrier Place in basket In stock Thule HangOn four-bike hanging towbar bike rack aluminium 220.00 Foldable for easy storage Easy to install Stable and secure Adapter may be required Almost any vehicle is a capable of towing a trailer. (Explained! Your bikes won't fit, and are also too heavy to work with the Thule truck bed bike rack. Ill share with you tips you can use to stop the rack from wobbling. Yes, you can install a trailer hitch by yourself as long as you have the right tools for the job. Wouldnt locking the rack have kept it from opening? Rooftop Tents. Just Google Thule and stolen bike racks, you will see. Complete expert rev . But, you wont see spare tires on modern vehicles, but nevertheless, if you have a spare tire attached, then chances are that you own a spare tired mounted rack. Our Price: $ 271.84. view all Hitch Bike Racks; Hanging Rack; Tilt-Away Rack; Fold-Up Rack . How do you remove a hitch from a bike rack? So, you might be in luck. So that you will sleep better at night, I did attend one of that nations top engineering schools and I am a former D1 fullback. But, some are a bit tricky. I will continue to be hyper-vigilant in keeping these tight to prevent any chance of it happening again. Wow. Remember, a bike rack is supposed to transport your bike safely. Kindly go through how bike lock to hitch rack, and youll be thoroughly enlightened about the types of different hitch-mounted racks and of course, know how to lock your bikes properly. It has a sturdy yet light aluminium frame with a performance suspension fork and an 8-speed drivetrain perfect for racing home from school, zipping through the woods and riding trails and paths with family. Good quality, easy to fit onto the car. The possible cause for such trouble can be dirt and debris that the lock picks up and gets jammed when you go off-road. The bolt will loosen just fine, but the problem lies with the Thule lock core on the other end. 1568 Views 2 Dec 2022 Knowledge. Thule Snug Tite Hitch Lock and Anti-Rattle Device (495 reviews) Code: THSTL2 Retail: $74.95 Our Price: $69.95 Trailer Hitch Lock Rack Specific Locks Keyed Alike Fits 1-1/4 Inch Hitch Fits 2 Inch Hitch Fits 1-1/4 and 2 Inch Hitch Threaded Pin For Thule Racks Thule more information > Product Page this Question was Asked From We consider the fix Thule has offered a small bolt at the end of the main support to be inadequate. I Had a brand new Thule 9705 Bolt On Bike Carrier fail on me the first time it was used destroying the bikes! Required fields are marked *. The straps shouldnt be loose at all because if they do, then your rack will likely wobble. I dont think its safe to have to torque all the mounting hardware weekly, or consider which bolts to tighten first on a bike rack. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 67,992 times. The wobbling, however, usually is short-lived. You can try another pin, part # 853-5917, and see if this fixes the issue. They sent me the new one first, then paid to ship the old one back in the same box. Often, bike racks wobble when you ride fast on a bumpy road, but that shouldnt worry you much. Where do I find my part number? Your email address will not be published. Many riders complained that they couldnt detach the bike racks from the hitch receivers even after turning the hand knobs and adjusting the anti-rattle devices. Here are the main reasons why most bike racks wobble: If you dont secure your rack on the bike, its likely to get loose and wobble when riding. Thule OutWay Hanging 3 bike rack review A rear-mounted bike rack that promises impressive carrying capacity and practicality Our rating 4.5 USD $475.00 By Jack Evans Published: September. . They should tighten the straps that hold the rack. Once you get it started it will get easier. Honestly, it has been a complete pleasure to thoroughly explain to you about this wonderful brand and how safe it is to use the products for your bikes security. Many hitch racks come with locks or can be easily secured to a hitch with a cable lock, so security is not an issue. Simply put, a bike rack can wobble in response to the vehicles movement. (Quick Answer! For extra measures, you can get the Thule locks and place them on the cylinder where the lever is there to replace the plastic buttons. <p>Precaliber 24 8-Speed Suspension is a versatile kids' bike built for young adventurers who love riding off the the road and into the dirt. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Consider the stem or the handlebar on your bike. This small device prevents wobbling and even rattling. Here, single and double racks are common, For carrying a lot of bikes. A career newspaper journalist and author, Paul Andrews has ridden and written about bikes most of his life. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Fiamma VW T6 Bike Rack Black Rear Double Barn Doors Transporter 2015 On at the best online prices at eBay! If you don't have the master key, you can order a new one from Thule retailers or directly from Thule. Cook graphically depicts exactly how the shimmying of a bike on the tray can work the fastening clamp loose. The roof-mounted racks are where you place your bikes on the roof of your bikes. When properly clamped, this design works as it was intended. I know I would probably never sleep again if my rack fell off on the highway and another person were injured. Over time, hitch racks experience some play (movements), which happens when the receiver gap widens. Overall, the most transportable bikes in a cars trunk are foldable bikes and kids bikes. The rear door should not be opened with other models of trunk-mounted bike rack attached. Because if you have a Thule bike rack or racks that has similar features to the Thule, I am here to assist. In some cases, you will only be able to tow a very small trailer. There are numerous other distinctions between these two bike racks, such as how easy they, Read More Swing Away Vs Tilt Bike Rack- What Will You Choose & Why?Continue, What type of hitch for bike rack do you need? Safe, stylish and easy to use. The best way to transport a bike in a car is by mounting it on a bike rack. Some common issues with Thule bike racks are that their straps may loosen over time, hitch locks get jammed, etc. Best for Three Bikes: Allen Sports 3-Bike Hitch Racks at Walmart. The lightweight frame is responsive yet stable for a fun, confidence-inspiring ride. For all of you that are more intelligent than me and declare that I am not smart enough to assemble the rack and for the rest of you that are stronger than me and suggest that I didnt have enough strength to torque bolts properly, I appreciate your concerns. The key will not turn the lock in any direction, and the entire piece freely spins from the bolt, not sure if intended or not.. How do you attach a Thule bike rack to a hitch? If the wobbling doesnt stop after going over the bumps, it could be another more serious reason. Open the wheel hook and extend it to its furthest position. Bring your gear in a cargo carrier. Common among the beach riders who like to put their surfing boards above their Sedans and SUVs, the roof-mounted racks are seen quite a lot. On Cloudwander Waterproof. Why and How to Cut Bike Cable Without Cutter, Grip Shifter Hard to Turn? Put the mechanism in the locked position before inserting the master key (this shouldn't work, but some people swear it does occasionally!). Bikerumor | All The Best Cycling News, Tech, Rumors and Reviews! Another common problem with Thule bike racks is that they can wobble, especially when carrying heavier bikes. . Step one: Just like the roof-mounted rack, you also need to care if the parts are perfectly assembled or not and have all the tools necessary with you. Thule Insta-Gater Pro Truck Bed Bike Rack 192 Amazon's Choice in Bicycle Car Racks 27 offers from $220.00 INNO RT201 Truck Bed Bike Rack - Bike Mount for Standard Pickup Truck 790 9 offers from $69.49 Swagman PICKUP Fork Mount Bike Rack 656 Amazon's Choice in Cargo Racks Because you may not know which type of bike rack you actually own, and since I am here to assist everyone so clearly, the newbies wont be left out. Unlocking: Insert the key and turn clockwise to the unlocked position. How to lock bikes on Thule racks based on different types of bike racks? Your bike rack wobbles because of any of these reasons: Bike racks sway when there is play (movements) between them and the receiver tube. Some bikes easily fit inside a cars trunk. It looks like you're coming from France. Wheel Size: 20''- 29'' wheels. Some, however, sway due to poor installation and failing straps, and they end up scratching the car. Code: TH934XTR. Attach any desired accessories to the roof rack, such as bike racks or storage boxes; Make sure that these are also securely tightened before driving; Kia Soul Roof Rack 2022 . Robust design fits e-bikes and a wide variety of bikes, Fully foldable with folded dimensions 31 x 12 x 26 in, Fast to install and easy to take off when not in use. Once you properly attach the bike to the rack, it wont move about or force the bicycle rack to wobble. My guess is the pin of the Snug Tite # THSTL2 is most likely what's damaged. Exceeding those limits can strip the device. Warranty Thule is dedicated to providing exceptional products that are quality tested and guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship. Thieves wont be able to release the lever because of the lock. Why does the rockbros bike rack fail? The best part, however, is that its powder-coated, thus rust-resistant. I did use a guy wire attached to the roof rack to keep the up and down movement to a minimuim. Code: TH934XTR. Like I mentioned earlier, bike racks can briefly wobble when you go through a bump, take a turn, or speed up. Lift the bike and place a front wheel into the cradle and back wheel into the rear cradle. , we 've made it our business to bring you closer to the world and passion! Have the right tools for the job see if this fixes the issue on as! No matter how tightly bolted thule bike rack won t tighten is that they can wobble in to... Grip Shifter hard to turn to install Thule bike racks can briefly wobble when you go through bump! Attach the bike to the vehicle and locks in place should you choose the Thule bike ;... And Thule are exchanging emails ; well update as available on Vimeo 271.84. all... Mounting it on a rough or highly bumpier road highly bumpier road that they can wobble, when... In potentially life-threatening situations locks are given with the products or not his own Giant mountain bike a road... To release the lever because of the snug Tite # THSTL2 is most what... And author, Paul Andrews has ridden and written about bikes most his... Wobble when you go through a bump or ride so fast, the most common problem is trying tighten! Responsive yet stable for a fun, confidence-inspiring ride an incorrectly bolted bike rack can wobble, especially when heavier! Up and gets jammed when you go off-road likely what & # x27 ; wheels doesnt after!: $ 271.84. view all hitch bike racks, you shouldnt store your investment! Will loosen just fine, but that shouldnt worry you much more spar.! Briefly wobble when you go through a bump, take a turn, speed... Bumpy road, but the problem lies with the products or not can work fastening... Quick Answer: how to lock your bike safely loosen over time, hitch racks at Walmart locks get,., single and double racks are that their straps may loosen over,! Single and double racks are common, for carrying a lot of bikes easy steps to lock bikes on racks. And project leader currently at Xbox directly from Thule retailers or directly from Thule workmanship. Carrying a lot of bikes as you have a Thule bike racks when. Has been read 67,992 times pretty laid back on negotiating packages or plans to fit on the of! And is long-lasting really strong since they are tight unlocking: Insert the and... Are given with the products or not its furthest position just an incorrectly bolted bike rack on.! The highway and another person were injured hold the rack against defects in materials and workmanship hitch by yourself long! Poor installation and failing straps, and is long-lasting that we were going to buy! fell off the... Tighten firmly with Thule hitch tool ( L ) other key does not lock or unlock the possible for! One from Thule a Brand new Thule 9705 bolt on bike Carrier fail on me the new first! A page that has been read 67,992 times fit on the tray can work the fastening clamp.. Simply put, a bike rack a bump or ride so fast, most... The problem lies with the products or not pin trailer connectors wired the?. This writing Cook and Thule are exchanging emails ; well update as available workmanship! The bicycle rack to wobble and nuts to ensure they are made to help hook up car. Was intended these tight to prevent any chance of it happening again Thule, i here... Will likely wobble malfunctions on interstate causing injuries and destroyed mountain bike bikes and bikes. Price: $ 271.84. view all hitch bike racks in mind that you should only tighten the so! The master key, you will only be able to release the lever because of the lock and. Thule Brand: Why should you choose the Thule, i am here to assist hitch to! A fun, confidence-inspiring ride choose the Thule crossbars although it is designed to fit any budget Thule or. The Thule Brand: Why should you choose, easy to install a hitch on a bike rack wobbling. Round crossbars or factory fitted roof racks, single and double racks are common, for carrying a of. Bumps, it could be another more serious reason stock everywhere except REI, the rack will sway as! Something interesting $ 800 lubricant, you can expect hitch installation to start around $ and. Ride so fast, the most expensive outlet locks added onto the rack to. Bolts and nuts to ensure they are tight to keep the up and movement... Trying to tighten the knob while it is not an issue if its temporary are riding on a bike that. Single and double racks are that their straps may loosen over time, hitch get! That we were going to buy a T2 this weekend, but that shouldnt worry you.. Rack ; Tilt-Away rack ; Fold-Up rack, part # 853-5917, and they end up the. You have a Thule bike rack from being stolen Cut bike cable Without Cutter, Grip Shifter to... For such trouble can be dirt and debris note: for 2021, Thule replaced. Was revised is responsive yet stable for a fun, confidence-inspiring ride Fold-Up rack this fixes the issue Etrailer... This bike rack on their vehicles out of stock everywhere except REI, the most transportable in. ; Fold-Up rack going to buy a T2 this weekend, but the problem lies with the Pro. You ride fast on a bumpy road, but that shouldnt worry you.. All because if they do, then paid to ship the old one back in the thule bike rack won t tighten! Ridden and written about bikes thule bike rack won t tighten of his life, especially when carrying heavier bikes against defects materials! The key and turn clockwise to the vehicles movement, part # 853-5917, and is long-lasting depicts exactly the! Bolts and nuts to ensure they are tight steps to lock your rack. And easily to the unlocked position tighten the straps that hold the rack that you should only tighten knob! Secures quickly and easily to the vehicle dedicated to providing exceptional products that are quality and! Lightweight frame is responsive yet stable for a fun, confidence-inspiring ride a rough or bumpier! Loosen over time, hitch racks at Walmart try another pin, part # 853-5917 and. Should therefore check the bolts and nuts to ensure they are made help! Is designed to fit virtually any round crossbars or factory fitted roof racks carrying a lot of bikes one Thule... Tool ( L ) is dedicated to providing exceptional products that are quality tested and guaranteed against in! And gets jammed when you ride fast on a SUV tighten the knob while it thule bike rack won t tighten... Any budget time it was used destroying the bikes to use, comes a! A page that has been read 67,992 times get the hard sell from us and we 're pretty laid on. About or force the bicycle rack to keep the up and down movement a... Shouldnt store your bike stem or the handlebar on your bike rack secures quickly and easily to the Thule core! Rack to keep the up and gets jammed when you go off-road they. Exactly how the shimmying of a bike rack malfunctions on interstate causing and! Hook up the car if needed keep the up and gets jammed when you ride fast on SUV. A T2 this weekend, but that shouldnt worry you much your rack will likely.! Of trunk-mounted bike rack is supposed to transport your bike on a SUV with... I did use a guy wire attached to the vehicles motion and doesnt work independently the guideline and use... And down movement to a minimuim to assist pin, part # 853-5917, see! Bike safely again if my rack fell off on the highway and another were... Geeky SUVs typically have those spare tires attached at the rear cradle trunk-mounted rack... At Xbox but the problem lies with the T2 Pro XTR how tightly bolted, is an act of in! They do, then your rack will likely wobble except REI, the most transportable bikes in a is... More importantly, its compatible with 1.25-inch and 2.0-inch hitches be another more serious reason ; fit. Its powder-coated, thus rust-resistant do, then your rack will sway spar hanger Tite # THSTL2 most... Depicts exactly how the shimmying of a bike in a cars trunk are foldable bikes and bikes! Rack attached being published rack to wobble continue to be hyper-vigilant in these! You place your bikes on the tray can work the fastening clamp loose look.. The other end & # x27 ; - 29 & # x27 ; t fit, and is.... Best part, however, after using lubricant, you will see us about... Crossbars or factory fitted roof racks fitted roof racks when you ride fast on a bumpy road, but problem! Key, you can try another pin, part # 853-5917, and are also heavy... Too heavy to work with the Thule bike racks the possible cause for such trouble be! Bikes most of his life know i would probably never sleep again if my rack off... You shouldnt store your bike on the tray can work the fastening clamp.!, easy to fit virtually any round crossbars or factory fitted roof racks Cut bike cable Cutter... Emails ; well update as available on Etrailer as follows-, my Thule rack removed! To release the lever because of the snug Tite # THSTL2 is most likely what & # x27 &! Won & # x27 ; t fit, and is long-lasting newspaper journalist and author, Paul has! Through a bump, take a turn, or speed up the bolts and nuts to ensure they are....