In 2006, the firm became a major player in Canadian business when it managed Xstrata's purchase and takeover of Falconbridge. A generation ago, the job was little more than an administrative positionarranging annual meetings and monitoring the collection of proxy forms from docile shareholders who didn't have the inclination to attend, and whose shares would then be voted in favour of existing directors and management. Welcome back! Peter Jones is the richest person on Dragons Den with a whopping net worth of over 450 million pounds and he is followed closely by Tej Lalvani whose net worth has creeped to 420 million this year. Our daily newsletter is FREE and keeps you up-to-date with the world of wealth. Mr. Hall has changed the lives of thousands of children in the Caribbean and Canada by donating both his money and time. Wes Hall founded Kingsdale Advisors and built it into one of Canada's leading shareholder services and advisory firms. Wes Hall (businessman) net worth 94.3 Million Millions of dollars 99% Net worth score Disclamer: Wes Hall (businessman) net worth displayed here are calculated based on a combination social factors. Known for his generosity, Hall leverages his business success to benefit others with a number of impactful charitable initiatives and serves as a Board Member with the SickKids Foundation, Pathways to Education, Toronto International Film Festival, and most recently, The Black Academy. In Canada, if you're an activist investor leading a shareholder uprising, or you're the CEO (or board) under siege, you usually either hire Hall or end up staring at him on the other side of the table. Halls mom abandoned him when he was 18 months old, so his grandmother raised him and two siblings in Garden Grove until he was 11. When he was eventually reunited with his mother, she beat him nearly every day, once bloodying his head to the point he needed medical attention. For further information and press materials, please contact: All content including images on this site are intended for Media use only. . On Jan. 10, 2017, Kingsdale Shareholder Services announced it was rebranding as Kingsdale Advisors to more accurately reflect the broad suite of strategic advisory services from defensive advisory, governance, voting analytics, and communications. ", WINPershing Square vs. CP (May, 2012) Acting for Pershing Square"The largest fight in Canadian history and the largest margin of victorythough, initially, people thought we would not be able to unseat a board of that calibre. ", LOSSJana Partners vs. Agrium (April, 2013)Acting for Jana"A fight that was dubbed unwinnable came down to the wire in the end. Hall says he hails from a "typical Jamaican family, where you have many brothers and sisters with different fathers, and your own father moves on." But the contrast between CP and CN, and between Green and the direct, folksy Harrison who had many fans among Canadian and U.S. money managers was just too glaring. And, really, that tin shack is what drives me, the executive chairman and founder of Kingsdale Advisors of Toronto told WP while vacationing in Italy. But barriers don't scare activists. Tune in this Th https://t.co/9LnqpCxjPN, RT @CdnChamberofCom: Congratulations to our Canadian Business Leader of the Year @kingofbaystreet! Ceres started life as a closedend mutual fund specializing in agricultural investments, run by ex-Maple Leaf Food executives Tom Muir and Michael Detlefsen. The night before the CP shareholders' meeting on May 17 in Calgary, Cleghorn finally capitulated. Wes Hall's Net Worth: $1-5 Million Age, Height & Body Measurements Wes Hall is currently age 81 years old. Saturday, March 2, 2019. . At sixteen, Wes came to Canada, sponsored by a father he'd only seen a few times as a child, and by the time he was eighteen, he was out of his father's house, once more on his own. Wes Hall, one of Canadas most innovative entrepreneurs and leading business people, aquired Titan Supply in 2016 as part of a transaction with Tuckamore Capital Management. After leaving CanWest in 1998, Hall did a brief stint as a relationship manager at CIBC Mellon, which handles the mechanics and record-keeping for share transfers, before being recruited to work for the shareholder communications consulting firm Georgeson Canada. And finally, my everything, Christine, is our mother hen. CanWest Global hired him as a law clerk and assistant corporate secretary a year later. But my middle Keana's "I can do it all on my own." . Canada's corporate establishment, he adds, is particularly "clubby" and defensive. We won the vote with some great strategy. . I see something that needs to be done, and I always step in and try to figure it out. biogen senior engineer ii salary. He wrote: I live in the Rosedale neighbourhood in Toronto. https://t.co/56caNWTzw6, @cityoftoronto this is really dumb what you just did at Avenue and Roxborough West. 1 bestseller in Racism and discrimination on Amazon. Hall, 44, the polished but blunt CEO of Toronto-based Kingsdale Shareholder Services Inc., had estimated the shareholder votes for and against management's current slate of directors. Wes Hall Wiki, Career, Relationship, Nationality, Ethnicity. I keep looking back at the tin shack that, in fact, tells me that I have zero to lose, he said. Along with Scotiabank CEO Brian Porter, Norton Rose chair Walied Soliman and many other potentates. The Coordinator, Residence Support will assist the Residence Managers and act as the first point of contact for programming and student engagement within the residence community at Huron. Watching his grandmother do the best she could was a model for establishing his resolve. Dianne Buckner hosts. I created my own company from the ground up. Wes Hall is also a self-proclaimed philanthropist with $5,021 in his foundation as of 2020. Unlike the superstar Jamaican sprinter, whose personal website bills him as "the most naturally gifted athlete the world has ever seen," Hall has lost recently in a battle almost as defining as the CP uprising. Wes Welker gets a salary of $9.5 million, and he has an estimated net worth of $25 million, as of February 2023. Some information may no longer be current. ", WINGoodwood vs. Pet Valu (May, 2008) Acting for Goodwood "Won the fight even though management had over 30 per cent of the stock. Chairman and Founder, The BlackNorth Initiative. He decided to risk his financial security and . The following month, the dispute blew wide open, after Globe and Mail reporters got hold of a Jan. 4 e-mail from Ackman to Cleghorn titled "War and Peace." He admits that Hall fired him over "differences," and adds that turnover at Kingsdale has helped populate decent competition like Phoenix. Just know he is living well. But for advising corporate giants, he'll often charge $40,000 a day. Find Wes Hall's email address, contact information, LinkedIn, Twitter, other social media and more. When expanded it provides a list of search options that will switch the search inputs to match the current selection. Hall is still 100 per cent owner of Kingsdale, and he won't give out a revenue figure. A year later, Hall got a big career break. Agrium's board paid commissions to brokers who rounded up shareholder proxy votes in favour of management. The Ward family was ranked 124th on the Forbes list, with a combined net worth . Wes Welker was born in Oklahoma City. Hall attributes his success to a series of small steps, where he achieved different levels of success. [1] Born and raised in Saint Thomas, Jamaica, [2] Hall moved to Toronto, Ontario as a teenager. He also consulted Wes Hall on the recommendation of his respected and tough-minded Canadian securities lawyer, Patricia Olasker of Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg, who had acted for Ackman in disputes with Canadian Tire in 2006 and Sears Canada in 2010. For "the moms and pops" with smaller shareholdings, says Hall, the circulars that the company and any challengers post online and put in the mail to investors are key. Toronto Life magazine. Underlining all that is someone who cares about kids and is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please complete the form below and click on subscribe for daily newsletters from Wealth Professional. So, if you have nothing to lose, why not just give things a shot? This article was published more than 9 years ago. Vanasek and Noone never considered themselves activists. If we couple the figure with his business venture earnings, Wes Bergmann's estimated net worth is around $500,000. Two younger half-brothers didn't adapt as well as he had, however. Wes Hall founder and executive chairman at Kingsdale Advisors joins BNN Bloomberg to talk about dismantling systemic racism following the death of George Floyd and changing what our boardrooms look like. As part of this evolution, Amy Freedman has been promoted from President, Canada to the role of Chief Executive Officer, Kingsdale Advisors and Wes Hall, previous CEO, will assume the role of Chairman and Founder. Hes also the founder and executive chairman of both the Black North Initiative, which is challenging Canadian businesses to set data-driven diversity targets and dismantle racism, and Canadian Council of Business Leaders Against Anti-Black Systemic Racism. Thats how Ive lived my life even before he said those words, said Hall. Lesson: Every vote counts, and that extra phone call to a shareholder can make a difference. Yet, if you sit down with him for an hour or so in his office, it's easy to see why he's become a catalyst for shareholder activism. Posted by Amy Freedman, Wes Hall, and Ian Robertson, Kingsdale Advisors, on . Additionally, Hall is an instructor at the Rotman School of Management of the University of Toronto, where he teaches Black Entrepreneurship & Leadership in Canada, a first-of-its-kind course in North America that provides students with a deep understanding of the systemic anti-Black racism faced by Black entrepreneurs, the cultural impacts and how to navigate the system. To say that old people are racist is itself a stereotype. He's CBC Dragon's Den's first Black dragon. TORONTO-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )-- Kingsdale Advisors, North America's most trusted strategic shareholder advisory firm, today released its 2020 . linktr.ee/kingofbayst. Hall is a Canadian businessman and entrepreneur, best known as a "Dragon" investor in the Canadian edition of the reality television series Dragons' Den. We assume Mr. Hall owns at least 51% of each of his companies. Wes is a widely recognized entrepreneur, philanthropist and powerbroker. . It lost the vote, but only because Front Street voted its shares in favour of its own management agreement. As Executive Chairman and Founder of Kingsdale Advisors, he has been repeatedly named one of Canada's most powerful people by The Globe and Mail, Canadian Business, Toronto Life, and Maclean's.He is also the owner of QM Environmental, a leading environmental and industrial services provider; Titan Supply, a top . He does not mention how this quandary was resolved. At the meeting, the management's entire slate won by a narrow margin, triggering Rosenstein's outburst. The BlackNorth Initiative is committed to increasing the representation of Blacks in the boardrooms and executive suites across Canada. Canada's first Black Dragon @cbcdragonFounder/Chairman @kingsdaleadvisors @blacknorthca2022 Canadian Business Leader of the Year . Field . In what turned out to be a PR masterstroke, Hall organized a campaign-style presentation for more than 450 shareholders, analysts and other Bay Streeters in a ballroom at the Toronto Hilton in February, 2012. Reporters compared it to an evangelical revival meeting. The stars of "Harry Potter" have all benefited greatly from the massive, eight-film franchise. CBC today announced that a new Dragon will enter the Den for Season 16 of DRAGONS' DEN .Wes Hall, Executive Chairman and Founder of Kingsdale Advisors and Founder and Chairman of The BlackNorth . "You are a board that proved that if you play dirty enough, violate all precepts of good corporate governance, fair play, ethical behaviour and democracy, you can still lose the campaign but then barely manufacture a victory after the voting is supposed to be over.". Through our mandate to inform, enlighten and entertain, we play a central role in strengthening Canadian culture. Executive Chairman and Founder, Kingsdale Advisors. Meanwhile, CP's board "imagined a feedback loop" of fellow Canadians that didn't exist, says Katzovicz. Ira Gluskin is still around, believe it or not. Estimated Net Worth in 2020: Under Review: Previous Year's Net Worth (2019 . Yet Wes Hall went on to become a major entrepreneur, business leader, philanthropist, and change-maker, working his way up from a humble position in a law firm mailroom by way of his intelligence, his curiosity, and his ability to see opportunities that other people don't. What is the Net Worth of Wes Hall ? Born: May 08, 1969, Golden Grove, Saint Thomas, Jamaica. Goldcorp was close to finalizing a deal to take over Wheaton River Minerals when Glamis launched a shareholder challenge and a hostile bid for Goldcorp. 0; He professionalized a business that in Canada had been mostly about phoning up retail investors to get them to vote on a corporate resolution into a broader strategic advisory practice. Jun 16, 2020 Humiliation is a part of being a black CEO in Silicon Valley . standing at 6 feet 3 inches tall. ", Calgary-based CP looked like a particularly fat target in the fall of 2011. Wes Hall is Founder and Executive Chairman of Kingsdale Advisors and Founder and Chairman of the BlackNorth Initiative. BlackNorth . Like who? "I was never invited into the boardroom, so I had to create my own. Add to Playlist Continuous Play: ON OFF Latest My Playlist Search By Date Now Showing The sold-out event featured a West African drummer, Black and Ukrainian artists, and a keynote address by Wes Hall, Chairman and Founder, Kingsdale Advisors, Founder of the BlackNorth . Many people ask this question about the money Wes Hall (businessman) makes from Facebook. As Pershing Square's ownership interest approached the 10 per cent thresholdat which it would have to formally disclose its holdings publiclyhe had some preliminary phone conversations with Cleghorn. Michael Gordon was deported to Jamaica some time in the early 1990s, after several drug-related arrests. A tall, strong and powerfully built man, Hall was a genuine fast bowler and despite his very long run up, he was renowned for his ability to bowl long spells . And, yeah, there could be failures that come with that. Last month, he made an estimated $688-million profit on his 20.8 million shares in whisky maker Beam Inc. when the company agreed to be acquired by Japan's Suntory. Under Canadian securities law, those commissions are legal (although more common in M&A transactions), but Jana did not pay them. Wes Hall is an entrepreneur and owner of Kingsdale Advisors, QM Environmental, Titan Supply, and Harbor Club hotel. Almost all of his early clients were small mining companies, but his work on the complicated dispute between Toronto-based Goldcorp and Nevada-based Glamis Gold, from 2004 to 2006, kicked him into a higher league. Talking about his body measurement, he has high of 6feet, 1 inch, and a weight of 77kg. The most important thing is to ensure that investors have received the documents and forms they are legally required to have before they can vote. "If the shareholders vote for the new slate," Hall told the CEO (who, for obvious reasons, wants to remain anonymous), "you will most likely lose your severance, and you could be in a personal legal fight for the vesting of your stock options." Management was going to lose. Im thankful for my experience on the show and excited for the many adventures to come., "Our thanks to Jim and Lane for their commitment to Canadian entrepreneurs, added Dettman. December 17, 2020 08:00 AM Eastern Standard Time. Harrison declared that if he didn't deliver the results Ackman had promised, "you can hang me in Times Square and you don't have to pay me.". The couple have five children, aged 3 to 18. Hall is a Canadian businessman and entrepreneur, best known as a "Dragon" investor in the Canadian edition of the reality television series Dragons' Den.Born and raised in Saint Thomas, Jamaica, Hall moved to Toronto, Ontario as a teenager.