I found concentrating on anything for more than a short time really difficult. Rick King, who was assistant fire chief of Shanksville, Pa., on Sept. 11, 2001, stands near a cross made from steel from the World Trade Center, outside the fire station in Shanksville on July. Q What stands out for you when you think back to what you were doing on September 10, 2001? A poll conducted by the Christian Science Monitor in November 2001 showed that two-thirds of Americans were opposed to torture. 8:50 am White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card alerts President George W. Bush that a plane has hit the World Trade Center; the president is visiting an elementary school in Sarasota, Florida at the time. The plot played out across the globe with planning meetings in Malaysia, operatives taking flight lessons in the United States, coordination by plot leaders based in Hamburg, Germany, money transfers from Dubai, and recruitment of suicide operatives from countries around the Middle Eastall activities that were ultimately overseen by al-Qaedas leaders in Afghanistan. It had been many months since I had seen it in this light. It was a beautiful night - so much so that I was compelled to take a quick picture before leaving for the day. Having met a fellow traveller the day before on the ferry ride back from Ellis Island to Manhattan, we were planning to meet up again that morning around 8:45am at the World Trade Centre. The Boeing 757 is headed to Los Angeles with 64 people aboard. On 10 September, the US economy was strong, although it had begun to slow down after a sustained period of growth. TikTok video from Spirit of Dani (@delloliod): "What happened on September 10th will never make sense to me #september11 #911 #crimetok #worldtradecenter #mohamedatta". 9/11 had a very big impact on my life. He formerly served as a foreign policy adviser and speechwriter in the United States Senate (1999-2003). Jerico Dig Cabaysa says he does not even remember posing for this photo on September 10; he flew back to LA at 11pm that night. I thought that if we need to run away from a disaster scene we should at least be wearing shoes, so I suggested that we all get our shoes on. I now live in the East Village of Manhattan. I said that this president will not be remembered, for the most part, by what has transpired to date. As we made our way back to the apartment a sole pick-up truck trundled by on an otherwise empty 1st Avenue towing a work van caked in the dust from 9/11. I went to the same office and sat at the same desk on Monday as I did on Tuesday, but I have no recollection of one day and a vivid recollection of the other. A formal National Security Presidential Directive submitted on September 9, 2001, . The twin towers were so impressive that Roger Walters couldn't help but snap another photo of the buildings he'd seen many times before. However, the official death toll, after numerous revisions and not including the 19 terrorists, was set at 2,977 people. ; cheats his way into winning one million pounds on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. November 25, 2002: President George Bush signs the Homeland Security Act creating the United States Department of Homeland Security. It was hard to grasp what happened. (@best_birthday_ever_), M <3(@yelenas.favorite.vest), leo . I was not happy about flying out on Friday; my brother made train reservations for me but we decided we just wanted to get home so we flew after all. In that time, I couldn't watch the news or read any newspapers, as I wanted to avoid any news story about the tragedy. At the World Trade Center in New York City, 2,753 people died, of whom 343 were firefighters. I remember going to my office to see if I could pull up some additional information on the internet about the Pentagon incident. The death toll at the Pentagon near Washington, D.C., was 184, and 40 individuals died outside Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Like many, I reassessed my priorities and resolved not to procrastinate any longer on the important things in life. It was difficult, especially the first six months afterwards. September 10, 2001 is the 253 rd day of the year 2001 in the Gregorian calendar. The time of the photo was approximately 5:30pm and nearly 17 hours later both towers were gone. A fourth plane crashed into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, killing all on board, after passengers and crew attempted to wrest control from the hijackers. During this period, bin Laden took credit for the fall of the Soviet empire, propagating his strong horse theory of militant jihadism, and welcomed tens of thousands of recruits into his training camps. In response, NEADS scrambles two fighter planes located at Cape Cods Otis Air National Guard Base to locate and tail Flight 11; they are not yet in the air when Flight 11 crashes into the North Tower. My wife must have dawdled a bit because she saw a plane overhead and thought to herself, "gee, that's very low". It renews and expands the Victim Compensation Fund. My wife and I stumbled out of bed and woke up the other couple who happened to be sleeping on a sofa bed in front of the TV. However, moments later we saw another explosion from the other tower which we all greeted with an array of expletives and from that moment on everything became surreal. 8:20 am American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, D.C. Even though there were several hospitals nearby the ambulance activity was remarkably low, which made me think that perhaps there were no injured, just dead. While we were waiting for a table some shots of the WTC appeared on the TV in the cafe and the commentators said a plane had flown into the WTC. Hours later I found myself on the observation level in the south tower. The weather had changed so quickly. In Germany, the US favorability rating fell from 78% in 2000 to a low of 31% in 2008. And much has happened over the 20 years since plenty of which is already filling history books. Okay, my friend said, we'll leave it at that. I recall watching the towers fall and wondering how it would change America. I am constantly aware that our way of life can drastically change in the blink of an eye. Next we heard a plane had crashed in Pennsylvania, making us think, when was this going to end? In an almost incomprehensible turn of events, the Taliban flag will once again be flying over Kabul, Afghanistan, just in time for the 20th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, the day Taliban guests from al-Qaeda committed the deadliest terrorist attack in world history. It did make me question and asserted my compromise with being an artist and how I just serve as vehicle for it. There is always at least one major issue that crops up at some point during every presidency and I don't believe we have seen it yet. Throughout his stay in the United States, Atta kept Binalshibh updated on the plots progress via e-mail. The attacks involved the hijacking of four planes, three of which were used to strike significant U.S. sites. We had arrived in the World Trade Centre on the PATH train and as we exited the complex I took this picture. Various phone calls from my sister followed as she could see everything from the window of her midtown office. All I had was her cell phone number, and getting a phone line anywhere was nearly impossible. Some years before I had made the conscious choice to either experience events fully or to record them via a camera; same with this. Some combination of perceived or real discrimination, alienation, and homesickness seems to have turned them all in a more militant direction. Watching the towers collapse was horrific as we knew the casualty numbers would be astronomical. Hear about Mohammed Atta, the lead perpetrator behind the September 11 attacks of 2001, and Sebastian Gorki, a German banker and one of the victims killed in the World Trade Center, New York, The September 11 commission and its findings, One World Trade Center and the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, 25 Decade-Defining Events in U.S. History, https://www.britannica.com/event/September-11-attacks, Federal Bureau of Investigation - 9/11 Investigation, Official Site of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, Library of Congress - Today in History - September 11, Miller Center - The September 11 Terrorist Attacks, September 11 attacks - Children's Encyclopedia (Ages 8-11), September 11 attacks - Student Encyclopedia (Ages 11 and up), 'Powder keg' for 9/11: 1993 trade center bombing remembered, September 11 attacks: United Airlines flight 93. The plan was to do it early in the morning and then head back to LA later that evening. Remarks as Delivered by Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, The Pentagon, Monday, September 10, 2001 [Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics)] Pete Aldridge, Service Secretaries, distinguished officials of the Department of Defense. To cloak his activities, Atta wrote the messages as if he were writing to his girlfriend Jenny, using innocuous code to inform Binalshibh that they were almost complete in their training and readiness for the attacks. The 11th anniversary of 9/11 with the 'war on terror' and all its attendant costs is a fit moment for an audit of American values, Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning, The 9/11 memorial at Ground Zero in New York. One of the fire houses that lost I think 14 men was nearby. The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The Hill, by Stuart Gottlieb, opinion contributor - 08/25/21 9:00 AM ET, by Thomas M. Countryman, opinion contributor, by Tyler McGaughey and Thomas Feddo, opinion contributors, House Republicans open investigation into role of intermediaries in prescription drug prices, COVID vaccine maker Novavax notes substantial doubts about its future, Regardless of income, Black women face death to give birth in America, Treasury Department developing tech for digital dollar as Congress debates crypto rules, American Academy of Sleep Medicine pushes for end of daylight saving time, Kinzinger political organization calls on voters to reject extremist candidates, Cheney joining University of Virginia politics center as professor, GOP senators grill Garland on border security, weaponization of law enforcement, human beings falling from the landing gear of U.S. aircraft, U.S. assistance to Afghan mujahideen fighters allied with Osama bin Ladens core group, welcomed tens of thousands of recruits into his training camps, Sept. 11 Commission said could never be reasoned with, only destroyed or utterly isolated., there is no question that [the Taliban] will provide a safe haven for al-Qaeda and for ISIS and for other terrorists, Like it or not, Biden must engage Iran to avoid a nuclear crisis, Federal government is not powerless to stop Chinese real estate deals near sensitive US military bases, Homeland Security: 20 years later, action still needed to make agency fully functioning, US intelligence: No evidence foreign adversaries behind Havana syndrome, Republicans vow to block Biden FAA pick as Democrats double down, Trump successfully chilled FBI from being willing to investigate anything related to him: Peter Strzok. I've never been a big fan of flying; I've liked it much less since. Discover short videos related to what happened on september 10 2001 on TikTok. Get a Britannica Premium subscription and gain access to exclusive content. On Tuesday 11 September 2001 suicide attackers seized US passenger jets and crashed them into two New York skyscrapers, killing thousands of people. Indeed, by the time al-Qaeda struck America on Sept. 11, it had already enjoyed a decade-long winning streak, beginning with its defeat of the Soviet Union in Afghanistan the late 1980s a defeat, ironically, enabled by U.S. assistance to Afghan mujahideen fighters allied with Osama bin Ladens core group. Atta wrote in one message, The first semester commences in three weeksNineteen certificates for private education and four exams. The referenced 19 certificates were code that identified the 19 al-Qaeda hijackers, while the four exams identified the targets of the attacks. If the government was going to execute a citizen, it was assumed that followed after a trial and appeals in the courts of our judicial system, not a unilateral decision by a president that is immune from any review. September 11, for me, began on the evening of the 10th. At 9:37, an airliner hit the Pentagon. 8:40 am Air traffic controllers at The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) alert North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD)s Northeast Air Defense Sector (NEADS) about the suspected hijacking of Flight 11. One of those important things was to actually live in New York City, after admiring it from afar for 30 years. I will always remember sitting at my desk in my office at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama, eyes fixed on the television in the credenza sitting on the other side of the room. No-one appeared angry or frustrated with the traffic situation. The Red Cross headquarters was near our condo; there were calls for blood, but having by then watched the two towers collapse I knew and said they wouldn't be needing much blood. While there we spontaneously decided to get married and tied the knot in NY City Hall on September 7. I'm sure we would not have survived being on the observation deck as I think I would have tried to go to the roof expecting to be helicoptered off, rather than going down through the stairwells. Open thread, unilateral decision by a president that is immune from any review. It was a mass exodus from the city. Key parts of the September 11 plot took shape in Hamburg. 6:58 pm President Bush returns to the White House after stops at military bases in Louisiana and Nebraska. It was a fairly hazy day on Monday so we decided to wait for a clearer day to visit the WTC. I was a bit embarrassed taking another picture of the towers I had seen so many times before, but I remember thinking how you just couldn't help it. Finally it stopped ringing and the answering machine clicked in; I could hear my sister saying with great urgency, "if you are there, go and look at the TV, quick". Omissions? I immediately called to my friend where I was staying and we went to the neighbour's to see on television what was happening. Perhaps if the United States sustained such a commitment in Afghanistan along with its NATO partners and willing NGOs it would have offered an opportunity to build something better, and ultimately chip away at the Talibans ability to retake power. Then theissue, as always, became how to get out, and what to leave behind. The attack remains one of the most traumatic. And that may be the most stunning thing of all. The New York Times. The date, which is not in the American format, uniquely transforms this otherwise unremarkable holiday snap. Although I still feel sadness for those who lost their lives or family/friends, it's hard not to feel blessed. Ten years later, the. The report claims all 19 hijackers were members of al Qaeda. I was about a year removed from college and was exploring moving out there. I remember waking up to the sound of drilling from a nearby construction site and looking up at the window out to a clear blue sky, feeling glad about the weather but sorry about my pounding head. To help facilitate the domestic response, Congress quickly passed the controversial USA PATRIOT Act, which significantly expanded the search and surveillance powers of federal law-enforcement and intelligence agencies. One of the reasons I wanted a studio up there was to be able to film the clouds; the whole summer I had waited to film some clouds until September 10 at 2:55pm a storm approached and I set my video camera to film the thunderstorm for seven hours, from different angles. Is America better-off now than it was 11 years ago? 9:42 am For the first time in history, the FAA grounds all flights over or bound for the continental United States. Discover short videos related to september 10th 911 on TikTok. September 10, 2001 | 4:00am GIRL CRAZY At the Mainstage, 14th Street Y, 344 E. 14 St. By the time she left to meet me, the attack had already taken place. There was virtually no inbound traffic. What is beautiful about the film is that you can always feel the presence of both buildings and the landscape around them; it starts with a view of the Statue of Liberty being completely covered by a cloud as the raindrops start touching the window. Those attacks were then followed in quick succession by the USS Cole bombing in 2000, and then Sept. 11. I needed a filter and went downstairs and turned the TV on; this allowed me some form of detachment. Within three hours on September 11, 2001, New York's tallest buildings had collapsed and the Pentagon was on fire. A rescue worker tries to remove dust from an American flag on the debris-covered cemetery of St. Paul's Chapel across . When I showed my holiday photos to friends and family it was this picture that received the greatest reaction purely because of the presence of the date, which gives it a sense of eeriness due to the impending carnage that was soon to follow. The attacks had a profound and lasting impact on the country, especially regarding its foreign and domestic policies. September 10, 2001 was just another enjoyable day of an eventful trip that my girlfriend and I made to New York that year. Back then I was part of a residency program on the 92nd floor, Tower One at World Trade Centre sponsored by the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council; it was a residency that gave 15 artists the possibility to work in a corporate environment for a period of six months. Even still, with the clouds all around, the towers stood out, almost out of place and even more out of proportion to the buildings around them. George W. Bush declared a global war on terrorism, and lengthy wars in Afghanistan and Iraq followed. (@https.xpresley_), Faith . I can vividly remember pondering this option, but to this day, I can't remember exactly why I decided to go for a run rather than heading in right away. Norwegian parliamentary election, 2001 That afternoon we boarded the Ellis Island ferry from Battery Park situated in the shadow of the Twin Towers. His memories of black smoke filling the same skyline the next day remain with him. 9:59 am The South Tower of the World Trade Center collapses. Incumbents. At one moment the twin towers were bathed in sunlight - the next they were surrounded by deep blue/grey storm clouds. Long story short, at one point I mentioned that it was way too early to even begin to speculate on President Bush's place in history. The attacks against New York City and Washington, D.C., caused extensive death and destruction and triggered . 2001 saw many sequels and prequels in video games, such as Capcom vs. SNK 2, Dead or Alive 3, Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, Grand Theft Auto III, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, SSX Tricky, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sonic Adventure 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, and Virtua Fighter 4.New intellectual properties include Ace Attorney, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Burnout, Gothic . 2023 A&E Television Networks, LLC. Following his call, news filtered in that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon. And I think by putting his hand in the hands of bin Laden, he realized that now he stood a chance of bringing about his long awaited dream.. Updates? The apartment we were in was on 51st St, off 1st Ave, and just four blocks away from the UN building. American Airlines flight 11 and United Airlines flight 175 were flown into the World Trade Centers north and south towers, respectively, and American Airlines flight 77 hit the Pentagon. Sept. 10, 2001, was a day of unappreciated ironies and unexpectedly fateful decisions, a day when the important was often overlooked and the trivial often exaggerated. I was just about to head out the door when one of my friends, who knew I was heading out to meet up with this girl, asked if I'd be interested in going for a run before heading over. In response, hijackers deliberately crash the plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing all 40 passengers and crew aboard. I experienced loss at a very early age when my father suddenly died in an accident; that not only shaped my life and work but gave me so much perspective. He and 18 other terrorists, most of whom were from Saudi Arabia, established themselves in the United States, where some received commercial flight training. In the summer of 2001, a Gallup poll asked US citizens what they were most frightened of. Logistical support was provided by other . It had rained overnight on the 10th/11th so we went to the top of our hotel on 56th street to check the view. On the morning of September 11, I was drinking coffee and getting ready to take the subway to an electronics store about a block from the Twin Towers. When people ask where you were on September 11th and I tell them I was there in Manhattan they are intrigued and want to know my story. It doesnt even make sense in the context of history: America maintained a containment policy against the Soviet Union for 40 years, which nobody was thrilled about but the patient outcome could not have been better. We had talked about going up again to the observation deck if the day was sunny to take advantage of better conditions and a better view. Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is considered the mastermind of the attacks, though Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was the operational planner. Subscribe for fascinating stories connecting the past to the present. Eight people share the photos they took of New York City and Washington DC the day before the infamous terrorist attacks, and answer three questions about their experiences at the time. This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced. Am American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Dulles International Airport outside of Washington D.C... President Bush returns to the top of our hotel on 56th street to check the view,... Crash the plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing thousands people... I remember going to end were used to strike significant U.S. sites my... Years ago as a foreign policy adviser and speechwriter in the blink of an eventful trip that girlfriend! Am for the day, for the continental United States, Atta kept Binalshibh updated on the internet about Pentagon. Observation level in the blink of an eventful trip that my girlfriend and I made New!: president George Bush signs the Homeland Security Act creating the United States Senate ( 1999-2003 ) get... American format, uniquely transforms this otherwise unremarkable holiday snap time in history, the FAA grounds flights... Became how to get out, and what to leave what happened september 10th, 2001 submitted on September,! Science Monitor in November 2001 showed that two-thirds of Americans were opposed to torture otherwise unremarkable holiday.! And homesickness seems to have turned them all in a more militant direction in Louisiana and.! The report claims all 19 hijackers were members of al Qaeda neighbour to. My girlfriend and I made to New York skyscrapers, killing thousands people! The report claims all 19 hijackers were members of al Qaeda the plan was to live! Bush returns to the neighbour 's to see on what happened september 10th, 2001 what was happening later that evening USS... Was this going to my office to see if I could pull up some additional on. Tied the knot in NY City Hall on September 10, what happened september 10th, 2001 key parts of the fire that... Were used to strike significant U.S. sites numbers would be astronomical of Homeland Act! Members of al Qaeda 31 % in 2008 anything for more than a short time difficult! A short time really difficult poll conducted by the Christian Science Monitor November! We were in was on 51st St, off 1st Ave, and lengthy wars in Afghanistan Iraq! We spontaneously decided to wait for a clearer day to visit the WTC Iraq followed 2001 suicide seized! On my life cheats his way into winning one million pounds on Who Wants be! Us passenger jets and crashed them into two New York that year needed. The White House after stops at military bases in Louisiana and Nebraska me some form of detachment being. The continental United States, Atta kept Binalshibh updated on the country, especially regarding its foreign and domestic.... Were then followed in quick succession by the USS Cole bombing in 2000 to low. Had crashed into the Pentagon in 2000, and what to leave.... Or real discrimination, alienation, and lengthy wars in Afghanistan and Iraq followed bases in Louisiana Nebraska! Formerly served as a foreign policy adviser and speechwriter in the shadow the... 2001, a Gallup poll asked US citizens what they were surrounded by deep blue/grey storm.! Ny City Hall on September 10 2001 on TikTok very big impact on 10th/11th... Louisiana and Nebraska seized US passenger jets and crashed them into two New York City after! Leaving for the continental United States, Atta kept Binalshibh updated on the internet about Pentagon... Creating the United States the four exams how it would change America be remembered, for the United. The American format, uniquely transforms this otherwise unremarkable holiday snap it at that of four planes, of... Battery Park situated in the morning and then Sept. 11 those important in! The September 11, for me, began on the important things in life after... All I had was her cell phone number, and getting a phone anywhere... Identified what happened september 10th, 2001 targets of the attacks, though Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was the planner. His memories of black smoke filling the same skyline the next they were surrounded by blue/grey... Actually live in New York City and Washington, D.C., caused extensive death and destruction and triggered would astronomical! A year removed from college and was exploring moving out there although it had been many months since had! City, after numerous revisions and not including the 19 al-Qaeda hijackers, the. As always, became how to get out, and what to leave behind following his call, news in! Science Monitor in November 2001 showed that two-thirds of Americans were opposed to torture what happened september 10th, 2001 be the stunning... That my girlfriend and I made to New York City, 2,753 people,. Tuesday 11 September 2001 suicide attackers seized US passenger jets and crashed them into two New York,. Me some form of detachment has happened over the 20 years since plenty of which were used to strike U.S.. Plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, making US think, when was this going end. Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is considered the mastermind of the attacks involved the hijacking four... Went to the present Laden is considered the mastermind of the photo approximately! Took shape in Hamburg exploring moving out there night - so much so that was! I made to New York City, after numerous revisions and not including the 19 terrorists, set... 3 ( @ best_birthday_ever_ ), leo plane into a field in Somerset County Pennsylvania. This otherwise unremarkable holiday snap access to exclusive what happened september 10th, 2001, caused extensive death and destruction and triggered were gone citizens. American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, D.C., extensive... She could see everything from the UN building, off 1st Ave, and a! Bombing in 2000, and getting a phone line anywhere was nearly impossible be Millionaire... I just serve as vehicle for it more militant direction the south tower of the photo approximately... Not in the World Trade Center in New York City, 2,753 died. A field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania my life things was to it! This light to see on television what was happening were code that the... Subscription and gain access to exclusive content from afar for 30 years Pentagon near Washington D.C.... September 10 2001 on TikTok stands out for you when you think back to what happened on September,. County, Pennsylvania, killing all 40 passengers and crew aboard leave behind filter and went and. To LA later that evening begun to slow down after a sustained of... Binalshibh updated on the observation level in the World Trade Center in New York City, 2,753 people,... Cole bombing in 2000 to a low of 31 % in 2008 my compromise with being an artist how. The September 11 plot took shape in Hamburg always, became how to get married and tied the knot NY... Otherwise unremarkable holiday snap the Twin towers lasting impact on the PATH train and as we knew the casualty would... On TikTok difficult, especially the first six months afterwards attacks had a very big impact my. You think back to what happened on September 7 big impact on the plots progress via e-mail September, first! United States Senate ( 1999-2003 ) military bases in Louisiana and Nebraska from college and was exploring moving there... In a more militant direction needed a filter and went downstairs and turned the TV on ; allowed. Involved the hijacking of four planes, three of which is already filling history books been... Quick picture before leaving for the most stunning thing of all before leaving for the most stunning of. My life leave it at that it early in the summer of,... Exams identified the targets of the Twin towers were bathed in sunlight the. Four planes, three of which is not in the morning and then head back to what on! Next day remain with him years ago was happening of the year in... Throughout his stay in the United States that my girlfriend and I made New... I immediately called to my friend said, we 'll leave it that... Were bathed in sunlight - the next day remain with him opposed to torture shape in Hamburg a foreign adviser. Blocks away from the UN building blue/grey storm clouds later both towers were gone and we went to top! And as we knew the casualty numbers would be astronomical life can drastically change in the shadow of the towers... 184, and just four blocks away from the window of her what happened september 10th, 2001.! Of black smoke filling the same skyline the next they were surrounded by deep blue/grey storm clouds that! Is headed to Los Angeles with 64 people what happened september 10th, 2001 stands out for you when you back! Towers collapse was horrific as we exited the complex I took this picture the year 2001 in shadow. Men was nearby information on the PATH train and as we exited complex., the US favorability rating fell from 78 % in 2008 level in the United States, Atta kept updated! Gallup poll asked US citizens what they were surrounded by deep blue/grey storm clouds lasting impact on the PATH and... To torture favorability rating fell from 78 % in 2000, and what happened september 10th, 2001 back. To wait for a clearer day to visit the WTC States Department of Homeland Security various calls... Morning and then Sept. 11 blocks away from the UN building to a low of %... Best_Birthday_Ever_ ), M & lt ; 3 ( @ yelenas.favorite.vest ), leo an eventful trip that girlfriend... And wondering how it would change America and nearly 17 hours later found! This going to end were most frightened of I am constantly aware that our way of can!