So, if youre looking for a delicious seafood treat that wont break the bank, Dungeness crab is a good option. To keep them alive for transport, the crabs should be kept cool, moist, covered with fresh seaweed, and then covered with a soaked burlap bag on top. If you are worried about grit or sand, then boiling the crab for 10 minutes should be sufficient to remove any debris. The black spots have only effected the shells. Recently, I had a dungeness crab in which the tomally was extremely dark, almost black. Once you have cooked your Dungeness crab, you can enjoy it immediately or store it in the fridge for later. How long does Dungeness crab last in fridge? This method involves cooking the crab in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. My hobby is cooking, and on this blog I collect various materials about cooking. You will first have to fill the pot with water, filling it up until it is about of the way full. The smell of ammonia is a byproduct of the decomposition of seafood. What is the best way to eat Dungeness crab? An old wives tale says crab lungs are toxic, but theyre actually just not digestible and taste terrible. How Many Calories In Spaghetti With Meat Sauce, How Long To Cook Chicken Wings In Oven At 375, Brisket Flat vs Point: Everything you need to know. ENJOY! How much is in a box of powdered sugar? They are ciguatera poisoning and scombroid poisoning. Simmer Dungeness crab meat, shrimp, clams, mussels, and tomatoes in a flavorful broth made with wine, fish stock, and aromatics such as garlic, fennel, and red pepper flakes. That was the one and only time I ever tried an all you can eat crab place though. After consulting with an Extension agent and researching online, other than metal contamination, we Check the Meat Eating such a crab can cause you unpleasant stomach problems. However, Dungeness crab does have one advantage over king crab: price. When this happens, the crab becomes rubbery and tough to eat. Place your Dungeness crab in the fridge as soon as possible after you catch it or buy it. body meat and follows veins down into leg meat. Crabs have battles as they have preditors and they do fight one another. Look for live crabs that are active and heavy for their size. Registered. It is not ready if it is below the standard 145F for seafood. Can you cook ground beef from frozen Reddit? The crabs were kept for 24 hours in the cooler covered in a towel soaked with sea water (as we have done before). Spoiled crabs can also smell fishy or rancid, so trust your nose when it comes to telling whether you can continue consuming a cooked crab that you encounter. well and need oxygen and cold (not freezing) temperatures between catching and cooking. Why do I feel dizzy after eating seafood? How do you store Dungeness crab in the fridge? No need to thaw. Its just about impossible to eat a raw crab. If you find the answer, please, visit us again and let us know what they saidif you don't mind!? Frozen Uncooked Dungeness Crab Add about a teaspoon of salt per gallon of water and cover. Contrary to popular belief, the mustard is not fat, rather its the crabs hepatopancreas, the organ responsible for filtering impurities from the crabs blood. To reduce the odor, add some vinegar or lemon juice to the cooking water, or cook the crabs outside if possible. My crab leg had black dots on them and when i poked it. Each year Oregon lands about 10 million pounds of Dungeness crab, which can be found from California to Alaska. If you serve the crab with a butter dipping sauce make sure there are plenty of lemon wedges available to help cut through the richness of the crab/butter combo. You should be able to keep them alive overnight (and maybe longer) this way, but I wouldnt push it. This is why you do not open and eat the meat from the claws or legs prior to this point. How much salt do you put in the water to boil crab? crabs for the correct timing immediately after killing. This is what I consider art; its a creative process that excites me so much that Im constantly inspired to try new things and share my knowledge with you, my readers. To freeze, place the cooked crabs in heavy-duty freezer bags or airtight plastic containers. How long does cooked crab last in the fridge? Not harmful but not very appetizing to look at. Cholesterol: Dungeness crabs are relatively high in cholesterol, with a 3-ounce serving containing 217 milligrams. The body of a Dungeness crab is full of delicious, sweet meat. This occurs rather quickly as crab don't "travel well" and require oxygen and cold (not freezing) temperatures in between catching and cooking. Studies have shown that eating Dungeness crab can help improve heart health, reduce inflammation, and boost brain and cognitive function. In terms of texture, king crab also comes out on top. There are many different ways to prepare Dungeness crab, but one of the most popular methods is to steamed. If you plan to prepare Dungeness crab in the house, youll require to store it both prior to and after cooking. Crab blood can turn blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and follows veins down into leg meat. To avoid this, make sure to cook the crabs for the appropriate amount of time and at a gentle simmer. Bacterial contamination will likely lead to food poisoning, with severe vomiting and diarrhea. The meat should be firm and white or pink in color, with no brown spots or discoloration. While this may seem high, it is important to note that most of the fat is unsaturated, which is considered the good type of fat. Use your fingers or a small brush to remove any remaining shell fragments or debris. Contaminated fish may have a tainted odor or taste. Crab blood can turn blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and follows veins down into leg meat. Game plan: Fresh live crab should be purchased and cooked the same daythe crabs can only be stored in the refrigerator for a few hours once taken out of their holding tanks. ATTENTION TO RIGHT HOLDERS! Catch 'em! Are these crab legs still safe to eat?Yes, these snow crab legs are still safe to eat. Sodium: A 3-ounce serving of Dungeness crabs contains 2903 milligrams of sodium, which is quite high. When cooked, the shell turns bright orange. flesh and in the hepato-pancreas, the brown meat. Crab Bisque: Dungeness crab also makes a rich and flavorful bisque. The price of Dungeness crab can vary depending on the time of year and the location, but it is typically more expensive than other types of crab. The crabs body is typically 6-7 inches wide, and it has two large claws that it uses for defense and feeding. When the meat becomes mushy it is a strong indication that bacteria was able to grow at a rapid rate, over cooking was not your problem, crabs may have been harvested in polluted water, or like tat said freezing them will expand the moisture. Its finest to cook them within 10 or 15 minutes of dying in order to preserve the meat for as long as possible. The main symptoms of a shellfish allergy vary, but they can include vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, shortness of breath, coughing, chest pain, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Anything that smells sour, strong, fishy or rancid could mean the crab has spoiled and it should not be consumed. Quick Answer: Does cooking destroy fiber in vegetables? Sprinkle with a generous amount of seasoning, then repeat with another layer, and another, until all 12 crabs are in pot (and well seasoned). If you store it properly, it can last for approximately 5-7 days. Both methods will result in tender and juicy meat. If you need to keep it for longer, crab meat can be frozen for up to six months. If your cooked crabs or any other seafood has been at room temperature for several hours, it definitely needs to be thrown out and can no longer be used for any purpose. We believe that these are nothing more than "war wounds" and occur naturally as a result of crab interacting with each other. Crabs are cooked by boiling in salted water. You can also soak them in a bucket of saltwater for a few hours to help them expel any sand or dirt. If you notice a bad smell, that could also be a sign. Finally, Dungeness crab requires special care when it is being processed. Is it better to boil or steam Dungeness crab? However, boiling is generally quicker and easier than steaming, so it may be the better choice if youre pressed for time. The blue comes from hemocyanin, a copper-containing protein that transports oxygen in the blood. Calcium is important for maintaining strong bones, and potassium is important for regulating blood pressure. 8 Expert Tips to use. When the meat becomes mushy it is a strong indication that bacteria was able to grow at a rapid rate, over cooking was not your problem, crabs may have been harvested in polluted water, or like tat said freezing them will expand the moisture. This makes them harder to catch, and the catch rate is lower than for other types of crab. There are several reasons for this. Should I thaw frozen ravioli before cooking. The greenish stuff is the liver, called the tomalley. If you notice the meat having a sour, rotting, or bitter smell, this is an indication that the crab meat has gone bad, and is not fit for consumption. right thing by not eating the crab thats meat had turned blue for unknown How do you store leftover cooked Dungeness crabs? Note: Youll want to plan on about 1 crab per person, or if serving as an appetizer, 1 crab for every 2 people. Serve with crackers or toasted bread. Its the roe or eggs, also called coral in shellfish. When the water reaches a full boil, turn off the heat, leaving the lid on the pot. How do you convert baking time to convection? Dungeness crabs: One or two days are enough time for Dungeness crabs to live outside the water. How do you know when Dungeness crabs are cooked? We caught it in marine area 7, off Birch point. Crab blood can turn blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and follows veins down into leg meat. How do you steam crabs without a steamer? insulation within the ice, actually keeping it warm longer. They look absolutely Crab-O-Licious to us! it was a dead worm. Can you keep live Dungeness crabs overnight? mustard Yellow substance found inside a cooked crab. Jab! Avoid crabs that are lethargic, discolored, or have missing legs. How long do you boil already cooked lobster? Digestive enzymes break down the flesh, reducing http://aciar.gov.au/files/node/10564/HP010.pdf, http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5905e/x5905e01.htm#Freezing%20crabs%20and%20crab%20meat, http://dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/CrabbingFlyer.pdf, http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=dungenesscrab.uses. 7 important tips to convert. Why is my Dungeness crab black inside? If you were to look inside a raw or undercooked crab, you would find the flesh very hard to separate from the shell or scoop out. The cooked meat is opaque white. Lung fluke in raw crab meat can cause lung disease, which may take several years to recover from. I HAVE seen black spots on Dungeness crab,King crab and even Snow crab legs before which, most likely, are what we refer to as "war wounds" or the result of naturally inter-acting will other crab. Not only does it taste terrible, it can make people sick. Shellfish poisoning is caused by eating shellfish contaminated with bacteria or, more commonly, viruses. Buy live crabs: When possible, its best to buy live Dungeness crabs. The cooked meat is opaque white. Fill soft tortillas with crab meat, shredded lettuce, salsa, and avocado for a delicious and colorful meal. Oregon Dungeness crab can be kept with live lobster, but should be separated by a divider. And if youre worried about leftovers, remember that cooked crab can be easily frozen and enjoyed at a later date. Place the cooked meat in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Why are Dungeness crabs in trouble in Coos Bay? We're sorry we don't have one! To boil the crabs, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the crabs. No, I have crabbed for years and am well aware of the differences between Red Rock crab and a Dungeness. They work indiscriminately Butchered crab should be held on ice and cooked almost immediately. there "could be" something going on down there in the water OR you "could be" throwing out good crab, either way, we appreciate you trusting us for an answer. The all got cooked and they were put in the fridge for another 24 hours to be picked. I got black in the crab legs and shell. The crab has been pre-cooked before frozen to preserve the flavor and texture of the crab meat. For these reasons, king crab is the better choice when it comes to taste and texture. Properly stored, cooked crab meat will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. . Can you keep female Dungeness crab in California? How much Dungeness crab should I buy per person? If your crab is not exactly 2 pounds, calculate about 7 to 8 minutes of steaming time per pound (after the water returns to a boil). Bake until tender and golden brown, and serve as an elegant appetizer or side dish. There is an enzyme in crab blood that turns blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and will follow veins down into leg meat. How long can you keep crabs on ice? taste. This is what bad crab meat may look like: Whenever you see this, do not take a chance on eating it. The Common Crab of the Pacific Coast. If you caught the crab yourselves, did not store them properly by keeping them alive, chances are you could be dealing with bad meat. Other enzymes in the flesh break down the Why do mosquitoes bite me and not my husband. Cover and steam over medium-high heat until the crabs are bright red, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the crabs with tongs. What is the best way to crack Dungeness crab? Steaming helps to preserve the delicate flavors of the crab while also making it easy to remove the meat from the shell. It had an unpleasant tang to it, unlike the tomalley I'm used to from dungeness crabs. Many people around the world enjoy eating the meat of the brown crab (Cancer pagurus: the edible crab), which is prized for its soft, delicate and sweet taste. remember larger crab take a bit longer than the smaller ones. This keeps the mess out of the pot and allows for more crabs in the space. The crabs are often found in deep water, and they are not attracted to bait like other crabs. If you notice the meat having a sour, rotting, or bitter smell, this is an indication that the crab meat has gone bad, and is not fit for consumption. Specialties: Our small, independent, locally owned seafood boil restaurant stands out from others you have tried with a combination of unique homemade sauces and flavor combinations, a fun and upbeat atmosphere, and amazing service . How can you tell if Dungeness crab is bad? Let us know in the comments below! Will i get sick?This is something I have never seen before. we caught crab at Waldport Oregon Sept. 1 2 and 3. Crab is a delicious seafood that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. How long does Dungeness crab last in fridge? Can you become a millionaire by selling NFT? One ounce of roe contains a large amount of sodium of cholesterol but makes up for in its rich, slightly sweet taste. In comparison, Dungeness crab can be quite watery and bland. Tough Meat: One of the biggest complaints that people have about Dungeness crabs is that the meat can be tough or stringy. . Difficulty in Handling: Dungeness crabs can be difficult to handle, especially if youre not familiar with their anatomy. I brought a dungeness crab and it's gills and some of the meet has black on it.Yes, dungeness crab may have black on the inside. I especially enjoy trying out different coffee roasts and brewing methods. Make sure to keep them in an air-tight plastic bag. Use kitchen shears or a sharp knife to cut open the body and remove the meat. Some people swear by boiling crab, while others prefer steaming. Here are six steps to steaming live Dungeness crabs: Get a large pot with a steamer basket and lid. well after the first day in captivity, many die. While you can technically eat the shell of a Dungeness crab, it is not recommended as it is quite tough and difficult to digest. If the sections were boiled in water say 10 minutes, there were probably cooked sufficiently, you can always tell of course, they turn white. How long can a Dungeness crab live out of water? To steam the crabs, place them in a steamer basket over boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes. So, which method is better? Crabs are generally either placed live into the boiling pot or killed just prior to cooking. Yes, dungeness crab may have black on the inside. People say it tastes like caviar. When you are ready to cook your Dungeness crab, make sure to check that it is still fresh. We have never experienced a "black liquid discharge" as you describe with your brown crab. Deep-fried crab can be served with a variety of different dipping sauces. Use 1/4 cup salt per quart of water. To grill Dungeness crabs, brush them with melted butter or oil and season with salt and pepper. The essential and easy way to watch for perfection is the color, but do not rely on color alone. When storing cooked crab, make sure it is covered and placed in a airtight container. There is an enzyme in crab blood that turns blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and will follow veins down into leg meat. All crabs (crab legs, whole crabs and crab meat) should be cooked. Let the Crabs Cool: After cooking, remove the crabs from the pot or steamer and let them cool for a few minutes. Strain cooked crabs into a colander and rinse briefly under cool water. Avoid crabs that have a strong or unpleasant odor, as this can be a sign of spoilage. Cooking & Serving Tips. Some types of crabs, such as blue crabs, can take significantly longer to steam, as long as 20-30 minutes. This can be especially beneficial for those looking to build or maintain muscle mass. I don't know. Check the meat: If youre buying cooked crabs, check the meat to make sure its fresh and tender. If you are concerned about losing flavor, you can always season the crab after cooking. Steaming is better than boiling because more crab flavor is retained in the meat during the cooking process and crabs cook perfectly in 12 minutes. Crab blood can turn blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and follows veins down into leg meat. Here are some references. But what happens if you are dining out, and someone brings an order of crabs to your table. (Male.) Its firm, yet tender meat is a joy to eat, whereas Dungeness crab can be quite chewy. This will make them easier to handle and will prevent you from burning your fingers. Frequent question: Can you fry pre cooked frozen shrimp? Whether youre planning a casual backyard crab boil or a fancy dinner party, there are many ways to present and enjoy this delicious and delicate seafood. On blue claws the innards taste somewhat like caviar; on Dungeness, they are more abundant and custardy in texture, with a sweetness that reminds me of sea urchin. Sometimes, a cleaver, mallet, or small hammer is used for cracking Dungeness crab, but the use of these devices is not recommended, as the integrity of the meat may be compromised due to the impact. Why is my Dungeness crab black inside? The internal temperature of the meat should reach 145F. The blue comes from hemocyanin, a copper-containing protein that transports oxygen in the blood. However, you can also add the crab meat to soups, stews, or salads. Yes, this is fine so long, While there are some varieties of fish that cook fine without even being thawed, Why must cooking time be increased? Slightly less dear (in the $40 to $50 range) are the live Dungeness crabs, either served simply in the delicate house ginger and scallion sauce, or presented with ceremony hidden inside a shawl . Serve with a simple salad or aioli. To prevent this, make sure to cook the crabs at a gentle simmer and let them cool down gradually. For example, if you are cooking two pounds of crab, you would need to steam it for 24 minutes. Even with its bright, orange, and gooey look, crab roe is very edible and very tasty. Second, Dungeness crab is a seasonal product. Mix the crab meat with breadcrumbs, eggs, herbs, and spices, and pan-fry or bake until golden brown. Difficulty in Cleaning: Cleaning Dungeness crabs can be a messy and time-consuming task, especially if youre not familiar with the process. How to cook dungeness crab? Make sure the crab is fully defrosted before you continue with any recipe for fresh crabif part of the crab is still frozen, it wont cook properly. But when it comes to crab, there are two main contenders: king crab and Dungeness crab. Its best to freeze crab in the shell, or in preparations such as crab cakes or casseroles up to three months. Best answer: How do you eat fries with ketchup? Dungeness crabs can bury themselves completely in the sand if threatened. White crab meat is beautifully flaky and delicate but when mixed with our brown meat a whole new level of taste is reached. To make it easier, use a seafood cracker or mallet to crack the shells and remove the meat, and use a small brush to clean the nooks and crannies. It is also possible to contract cholera from eating raw crab contaminated with bacteria. To avoid this, make sure to cook the crabs for the appropriate amount of time and at a gentle simmer. I was going to heat and eat my crab legs for dinner tonight but I noticed there are big black spots on a few of the legs. Cover pot, and return water to a boil. Fill the pot with 2 inches of water and bring it to a boil over high heat. The yellow stuff inside a cooked crab is the crabs hepatopancreas. The red king crab is the largest and most desired of the Alaskan crabs and said to be exceptional to lobster in taste. Place ice on top of the saran wrap to keep freshness. compounds which impart the sweet, creamy flavours typical of fresh crab meat resulting Step 3: Cook the crabs Place the crabs in the pot, cover it with a lid, and bring the liquid back to a boil. At the end of the day, just be smart, learn the warning signs, and when in doubt, just throw it away. King crab, Dungeness crab, and even Snow crab) often have black spots on their legs and/or body (shells). By following the tips and recipes above, youll be able to cook dungeness crab like a pro! Dungeness crabs can be served with melted butter, lemon wedges, and your preferred dipping sauce. Cook whole crab before freezing, and never thaw and then refreeze. Enjoy your crab with friends by cracking it freshly cooked over a newspaper covered table and serving it with bread, butter, and Thai Seafood Dipping Sauce. How do you steam Dungeness crab without a steamer? meat of the highest yield is obtained from crabs which have been cooked alive or Regardless of how it is prepared, Dungeness crab is a delicious seafood option that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Not harmful but not very appetizing to look at. This is a gland inside the crab that works to produce digestive enzymes and filter impurities from the crabs blood, similar to our bodys digestive system. If I come across another like it, I'll upload some pictures of it so you can see for yourself. There is an enzyme in crab blood that turns blue/black soon after being cooked if not at a full boil long enough, first in body meat and will follow veins down into leg meat. The black spots are probably "bruises" from such and nothing to be leary of as you don't eat the shells. Convert 180 C to F? So next time youre feeling adventurous, give the body of a Dungeness crab a try! How do you cook already dead Dungeness crab? Dungeness crab had black leg tips and darker than normal gills when caught #270378. This happens rather quickly as crab don't "travel well" and need oxygen and cold (not freezing) temperatures between catching and cooking. Rinse the crabs thoroughly under cold water to remove any dirt or debris. 2) putting crab on ice too soon can create a condition You can now use the meat in various dishes or serve it as is with melted butter and lemon. The best way to do this is to cook the crab for 12 minutes per pound. If its cooked with Old Bay or other spices, it may be difficult to discern the real smell, but if you are trying to evaluate pre-cooked crab or recently cooked crab with no spices, you should be able to tell if the meat is bad. Refrigerate your crab within two hours of cooking it. Watery crabs . Check for freshness: Whether youre buying live or cooked crabs, its important to check for freshness. Start by removing the claws and legs, then use a knife to remove the crabs innards. It is also a good source of antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. Contrary to popular belief, the mustard is not fat, rather its the crabs hepatopancreas, the organ responsible for filtering impurities from the crabs blood. Cooking Tip Once your water is boiling, toss in the cleaned crab halves. Additionally, Dungeness crab is a great source of selenium, which is a critical nutrient for thyroid health. What are these and are the legs still ok to eat?It has been our experience with not only Snow Crab but King crab and Dungeness crab too (which is what we catch here)that they all exhibit a certain amount of these "black spots" on their legs and bodies sometimes also. To avoid getting sick, do not eat crabs, or any type of seafood, that smell like ammonia. Arrange lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, and avocado on a platter, and top with cooked Dungeness crab meat. This diet can cause the crabmeat to discolor, but it does not affect the flavor or safety of the meat. Diarrhetic (or diarrheal) shellfish poisoning occurs from ingesting shellfish (such as mussels, cockles, scallops, oysters and whelks) that contain toxins. In fact, many people believe that the body meat is even more flavorful than the meat from the crabs claws. Cover the pot and let the crab steam for about 10 minutes. Go to Crab-O-Licious HomepageTreat your family to restaurant quality meals in the comfort of your own home. What part of a crab can't you eat? We "believe" that these are "battle wounds." We feel you did the right thing and threw out the brown crabs, as you can never be too careful. With this said, all crab shells, whether, blue crab, dungeness, snow, or king, will have a different shade of color after boiling them. Immerse in cold water to cool before cleaning. The flesh of both crabs are sweet and fragile. Its best eaten raw, similar to roe that comes from fish (fish eggs). When water resumes boiling, minimize heat to a simmer. Again, blueing is often related to exposure to corrosive metals, it is also seen in canned shrimp. What are the symptoms of chronic urticaria? Im always looking for new ways to improve my craft, so that I can provide the best possible experience for my customers. This delicious crustacean has been a staple of Pacific Northwest cuisine for generations and is known for its sweet and succulent meat. live crab, However, can only be stored for up to two days. Serve with crusty bread and a glass of red wine. Im a chef by trade. Crab Cioppino: A seafood stew that originated in San Francisco, Crab Cioppino is a rich and spicy dish thats perfect for cold winter nights. Dungeness crab is low in calories and fat, and high in protein and essential nutrients. Shop Legal Sea Foods TodayBecauseIf it isn't fresh, it isn't legal! Mix the crab meat with cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, and herbs, and bake until bubbly. reasons. Cooking has always been my biggest interest. Anything that smells sour, strong, fishy or rancid might mean the crab has spoiled and it ought to not be taken in. Yes, it is safe to eat crab mustard. Not harmful but not very appetizing to look at. Whether it is bought at the store or caught fresh it is NOT uncommon to find a whole myriad of colors or color combinations inside the crab. We have caught many CA brown crabs before but never had this happen. Is this ok?To be brutally honest here, it's really hard to tell without a picture of what you are referring to. It's a Blackback Land Crab Smackdown | Deep Look How can you tell if frozen crab is bad? I have found store bought crab often have more "colors" inside than fresh crab (probably due to freezing,shipping etc.) Copyright Crab-O-Licious.com 2023 Brown meat is from the body of the crab. Is Australia slightly larger or smaller than the US? Clean the Crabs: Before cooking the crabs, its important to clean them thoroughly to remove any sand, debris, or impurities. Pre-cooked crab only needs to be steamed for 5-6 minutes before it is ready to eat. Was this from the crabs being sick or dying? Which is the best 150 Ah inverter battery. Leg meat is firm and white with pinkish tones on the outside. So, if you see a black Dungeness crab at your local seafood market, dont be alarmed its just the natural color of the meat. Like the crab meat itself, the taste of what is inside varies depending on the type of crab. Its large, meaty claws are full of delicate, sweet flesh that simply melt in your mouth. Once crabs die, the meat starts to decompose if not cooked quickly. How do you make rice not mushy after cooking? We like to think of them as "war wounds" or the natural result of crab interacting with each other (often in a violent way). You steam or boil the crab for 5-7 minutes in a pot of boiling water. Why is my Dungeness crab black inside? How do you store fresh caught Dungeness crab?